2024 Texas High School Football

BurntOrange&White

On 2/1/2024 at 10:33 AM, Helobious said:

4A and below should all be one division per class, change my mind. 

I'm with you on this except I think no classification should have divisions.  Make a 7A and and 8A if need be, but this D1/D2 bullshit needs to go away.  State titles should not be handed out like participation trophies.

Edited by ScottS
Because I think grammar, spelling, and punctuation matters.

11 minutes ago, ScottS said:

I'm with you on this except I think no classification should have divisions.  Make a 7A and and 8A if need be, but this D1/D2 bullshit needs to go away.  State titles should not be handed out like participation trophies.

Out of the thousands of schools in Texas there are only 12 champions. That isn't participation trophies, asshat.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

T

22 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Out of the thousands of schools in Texas there are only 12 champions. That isn't participation trophies, asshat.

They're working on it.

I did a quick google and from 1920-1947 there was only one State Champion,  small schools only had regional championships.  

I think they give 13 or 14 now counting 6 man.  

1 hour ago, ScottS said:

Agreed that the districts should not be split into d1 and d2 and that solves all of the travel concerns, but I do like how 6a splits the playoffs between big and little. 

On 2/1/2024 at 10:33 AM, Helobious said:

4A and below should all be one division per class, change my mind. 

Why the fuck does it matter to you?

IMHO, they should have never divided any class.  Just go with the 5 classes and 6-man.

Let's roll.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, Laga4 said:

T

They're working on it.

I did a quick google and from 1920-1947 there was only one State Champion,  small schools only had regional championships.  

I think they give 13 or 14 now counting 6 man.  

It’s 12 total including 6-man. 

I’m old school and a former TXHSFB Official, so it’s just my opinion. The new playoff system over the previous decade with two divisions in each class is asinine and redundant. I’ll preface my opinion as an actual player in the ‘80s, whose 7-3 team didn’t make the playoffs.

Seeing 5-5, 6-5, or worse make the playoffs annually is baffling to the mind, as what did they prove/deserve? The first round of playoffs are currently a joke! From 5-A down, I totally agree to get rid of the multiple divisions.

Hook’em!!!

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, msucolt45 said:

I’m old school and a former TXHSFB Official, so it’s just my opinion. The new playoff system over the previous decade with two divisions in each class is asinine and redundant. I’ll preface my opinion as an actual player in the ‘80s, whose 7-3 team didn’t make the playoffs.

Seeing 5-5, 6-5, or worse make the playoffs annually is baffling to the mind, as what did they prove/deserve? The first round of playoffs are currently a joke! From 5-A down, I totally agree to get rid of the multiple divisions.

Hook’em!!!

The entire playoffs is a joke and it has nothing to do with 4 teams per district getting in. Almost every state title game (pretty much all featuring 1st or 2nd place district finishers) was a blowout.

• Hook 'Em 1

I love the Texas High School Football playoffs.  They are fucking great.

Enforce transfers for athletic purposes, and you'd be on a much better path to correcting the competition levels between schools.  Aledo doesn't just fucking miraculously grow all of that talent.  It's fucking stupid.  The factory schools turn me off bigtime.  That problem has zero to do with 12 levels of competition in the state.

Edited by slorch

10 hours ago, Helobious said:

The entire playoffs is a joke and it has nothing to do with 4 teams per district getting in. Almost every state title game (pretty much all featuring 1st or 2nd place district finishers) was a blowout.

Imagine being a grown man and telling a high school kid the state championship they just won is "a joke" and ranting about it being watered down

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Imagine being a grown man and telling a high school kid the state championship they just won is "a joke" and ranting about it being watered down

It’s not watered down, it’s imbalanced. The teams that win are very good, there just isn’t a ton of competition for them. I mean desoto won their title game by 60 points 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

Hook’em!!!

My alma mater made the playoffs at 3-8, Yay!

It's dumb

There needs to be a win minimum, like bowl eligibility. 

Edited by Tylerocks

37 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

It's nowhere near as big a deal as Helo being 4th chair skinflute back in the day. 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Helobious said:

It’s not watered down, it’s imbalanced. The teams that win are very good, there just isn’t a ton of competition for them. I mean desoto won their title game by 60 points 

Putting them all together doesn’t make it more balanced. It makes it worse though. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

11 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Luzon has petitioned to change districts so they don’t have a couple 3 and half hour drives for district games. Its new district - 7 5A - voted unanimously to allow them to move. They’re petitioning a district to the south to join. 

Guardians Of The Galaxy GIF

5 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Lufkin has petitioned to change districts so they don’t have a couple 3 and half hour drives for district games. Its new district - 7 5A - voted unanimously to allow them to move. They’re petitioning a district to the south to join. 

Has one of these petitions ever been granted?

11 hours ago, slorch said:

I love the Texas High School Football playoffs.  They are fucking great.

Enforce transfers for athletic purposes, and you'd be on a much better path to correcting the competition levels between schools.  Aledo doesn't just fucking miraculously grow all of that talent.  It's fucking stupid.  The factory schools turn me off bigtime.  That problem has zero to do with 12 levels of competition in the state.

A Spring Dekaney coach put a North Shore coach on blast yesterday for apparently trying to recruit away one of his players. 

I’m not crazy familiar with Houston but isn’t Spring far from where North Shore is? Pretty wide recruiting net they’re casting.

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Has one of these petitions ever been granted?

Their case is compelling and others agree, so the UIL will almost certainly deny the petition.

El Paso Eastwood letting their huevos hang. Opening the year against St. John Bosco, in California. 

But really, that’s borderline irresponsible by that coach. You can play superior competition without going 1000 miles to play one of the literal best teams in the country.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

On 2/2/2024 at 1:15 PM, Helobious said:

That’ll be a badass game. 

Also of note: CC Miller vs Desoto, week 3 in San Marcos. The Buccaneers fear no man, only God

This is a tough district for us, but it’s insane that four teams get in out of a five team district.  Poor Hanna. 

Brownsville Hanna
Brownsville Veterans
Harlingen High
Los Fresnos
San Benito

This is a tough district for us, but it’s insane that four teams get in out of a five team district.  Poor Hanna. 
Brownsville Hanna
Brownsville Veterans
Harlingen High
Los Fresnos
San Benito

Is Pace in a different district?

9 hours ago, Helobious said:

El Paso Eastwood letting their huevos hang. Opening the year against St. John Bosco, in California. 

But really, that’s borderline irresponsible by that coach. You can play superior competition without going 1000 miles to play one of the literal best teams in the country.

They went 9-0 against El Paso schools (including Las Cruces) and 0-2 against non EP schools...allowing 70 to Southlake Carroll and 87 to Wolfforth Frenship...so yeah this is a really really dumb idea 

23 hours ago, slorch said:

Their case is compelling and others agree, so the UIL will almost certainly deny the petition.

The new district voted unanimously to not allow Lufkin in. Now it gets appealed to UIL.  I don’t see it getting approved 

54 minutes ago, RexWilson said:

The new district voted unanimously to not allow Lufkin in. Now it gets appealed to UIL.  I don’t see it getting approved 

They voted to allow Lufkin to leave.

They can’t ‘disallow’ a member that the UIL placed in their district.  2 different approaches.

23 hours ago, SameSame said:

First time ever I've seen the Mansfield schools not be paired with the Arlington schools or the south I-20 schools.  

It's probably good for them. The nosedive Lake Ridge and Legacy took the last couple years was extreme.

North Crowley will probably be a top 5-8 team again, but second place is wide open in that district.

2 hours ago, slorch said:

They voted to allow Lufkin to leave.

They can’t ‘disallow’ a member that the UIL placed in their district.  2 different approaches.

The district Lufkin was placed in voted to allow them to leave.

Then it went to the district Lufkin wanted to be in and they voted not to let them in (to clarify what I originally meant). 

Edited by RexWilson

1 hour ago, RexWilson said:

The district Lufkin was placed in voted to allow them to leave.

Then it went to the district Lufkin wanted to be in and they voted not to let them in (to clarify what I originally meant). 

angleton and gball were right to vote no, why would anyone say yes to driving 3 hrs for a district game. 

5 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

They went 9-0 against El Paso schools (including Las Cruces) and 0-2 against non EP schools...allowing 70 to Southlake Carroll and 87 to Wolfforth Frenship...so yeah this is a really really dumb idea 

I remember reading about that Frenship playoff game. It was 56-42 at halftime or something equally as stupid, and the Eastwood QB Minjarez ended the game with almost 600 yards of total offense by himself. Can’t imagine what the Frenship stats were like. They don’t believe in defense in West Texas.

But Eastwoods QB committed to Army and he’s gone now, so the new QB gets his first start against SJB. I imagine they call off the dogs and end up with a 70-7 or 63-0 type win, but yes that game is pointless for everyone.  

*Sidenote but damn one of SJB’s 2 losses last year was to a Hawaii small town public school. Same one we recently got a LB from I think. 

That QB who went to Army might not have that many passing yards in 4 years of college football, as he had against Frenship.

Also RE: Lufkin, they are so isolated in a generally well populated area of the state.  It's just that their old District partners like Longview Tyler and Tyler ( Lee) Legacy are bigger than Lufkin, but the Pack is still too big to fall to Nacogdoches/ Marshall/ Jacksonville District.  They have been in the Conroe district, Beaumont, hell, for one stint, they were just with Longview, Tyler, & Tyler Legacy and they played a freaking double round robin.  That district was brutally competitive. Not sure what the answer is for Lufkin & Tyler other than opting up to at least not get placed in that DFW district with SW Fort Worth burbs like that.  District 7 is just fucked up.  Look at the other Fort Worth Districts and you can see why Cleburne and Burleson Centennial got left out of those.  It's just nuts.

Edited by slorch

8 hours ago, Helobious said:

*Sidenote but damn one of SJB’s 2 losses last year was to a Hawaii small town public school. Same one we recently got a LB from I think. 

Liona Lefau played for Kahuku in 2022, before they beat St John Boscoe. 

10 hours ago, Helobious said:

Kahuku is a public school in name only.  If you're a badass football player on O'ahu and you don't have the grades to get into Punahou or Iolani or St Louis, you go to Kahuku no matter where you live.  That school literally exists for football.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, RexWilson said:

5 minutes after realignment has been announced, 99% of the teams in the state have filled their non-district schedules, so I cannot imagine these appeals being upheld.

On 2/4/2024 at 2:14 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

Brownsville Hanna
Brownsville Veterans
Harlingen High
Los Fresnos
San Benito

Hanna just got a transfer QB who might end up being the best in the district.