USMNT 2024

Captain Ron

This falls into the "beggars can't be choosers" category IMHO. Sevilla talks broke down so he had to take the offer on the table. 

At least he should get a lot of playing time for them...

1 hour ago, LurkingHorn said:

Oft injured player goes to one of the roughest leagues. What could possibly go wrong?

to be fair all top leagues are physical. he just needs to find a way to stay healthy. 

9 minutes ago, The Dog said:

This falls into the "beggars can't be choosers" category IMHO. Sevilla talks broke down so he had to take the offer on the table. 

to be fair all top leagues are physical. he just needs to find a way to stay healthy. 

It's the physicality combined with the pace. The pace of Seria A or La Liga seems like a way better fit IMO. Like you said, though, beggars can't be choosers. I would expect NF to go full bunker ball as the season goes on and they're just looking to survive. Not sure how much that's going to help Gio's development. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/31/2024 at 9:00 AM, The Dog said:

On 1/31/2024 at 9:11 AM, LurkingHorn said:

It's the physicality combined with the pace. The pace of Seria A or La Liga seems like a way better fit IMO. Like you said, though, beggars can't be choosers. I would expect NF to go full bunker ball as the season goes on and they're just looking to survive. Not sure how much that's going to help Gio's development. 

Reyna doesn't have physicality issues, he has fitness issues and at times effort issues. He's a big motherfucker that's extremely good on top of the ball. 

And hasn't most of his injury stuff been non-contact variety muscle/ligament issues? 

Edited by ztejas

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Reyna doesn't have physicality issues, he has fitness issues and at times effort issues. He's a big motherfucker that's extremely good on top of the ball. 

And hasn't most of his injury stuff been non-contact variety muscle/ligament issues? 

His last injury in the Nations League was a contact injury. I'm not questioning his physicality necessarily. I'm questioning if the frantic nature of play the premier league, especially a bottom dweller, is going to lead to good results. He's going to hold onto the ball great and some schmuck is absolutely going to "get stuck in" on him. 

8 hours ago, The Dog said:

Couple of last minute moves:

Horvath from Forest to Cardiff (mid table in Championship)

Paxten Aaronson from Frankfurt to Vitesse (dead last in Eredivisie)

Please tell me this is a LOAN, not a full transfer. 

EDIT:

IMG_1175.jpeg

Edited by Napoleon

20 hours ago, Mittens said:

17 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

What a great environment. Hopefully, a very special memory for Taylor.

Absolutely. I love how he was kind of shy about it. Would be pretty hard to remain humble with that going on for you. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Juicy said:

Absolutely. I love how he was kind of shy about it. Would be pretty hard to remain humble with that going on for you. 

I just listed to a Scuffed podcast from last week and they were saying that Taylor Booth wasn’t getting much playing time and they had hoped that he would move during the transfer window, but it didn’t happen. 

They said that hopefully he sees the field more now that he’s staying. And then they moved on to another player, but they didn’t sound optimistic. They sounded resigned to knowing that this was likely to be a lost spring. 

He probably wasn’t going nuts because he’s not confident as a player. He was probably thinking “I don’t even know if I was going to play today… thanks.”

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, The Dog said:

I hope that he’s been watching a lot of film of deep-lying midfielders who complete forward passes to attacking players that put them in dangerous positions. 

He’s had about a year off to actually learn a fundamental skill that he didn’t possess. 

16 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I hope that he’s been watching a lot of film of deep-lying midfielders who complete forward passes to attacking players that put them in dangerous positions. 

He’s had about a year off to actually learn a fundamental skill that he didn’t possess. 

I hope he can just fucking get healthy because when he's in form he's one of the best CDMs in the world. 

We don't need him to turn into 2014 Mascherano we just need him fit. 

12 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Yep.  I've now watched two NF games just to see Reynas debut, only to be disappointed.  I figured being up a goal, West Ham down a player in the 75th, ball controlling midfielder = win.  I guess not.

Gio Reyna played in Nottingham’ 2 Premier League matches before today’s match.

You kind of missed his debut.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

How would you say “Fuck China!” in the most soccer way you could imagine?

image.thumb.jpeg.c514386fff305c01e41445815a267b09.jpeg

Argentina scheduled exhibitions against El Salvador and Nigeria in the United States next month as part of Copa America preparations, replacing a China tour canceled after Lionel Messi didn't play at Inter Miami's preseason game in Hong Kong.

Argentina will play El Salvador on March 22 at Philadelphia's Lincoln Financial Field and Nigeria four days later at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, the Argentina Football Association said Thursday.

Messi, Argentina's captain, is likely to be with the World Cup champions and miss Miami's Major League Soccer match at the New York Red Bulls on March 23.

World Cup champion Argentina had been scheduled to play Nigeria at Hangzhou and Ivory Coast at Beijing during a tour of China from March 18-26.

image.jpeg.67d28ca7f0a9db0a582490afa124d958.jpeg
Lionel Messi and Argentina will now play two March friendlies in the United States. 

Messi said before Miami's friendly against a local all-star team in Hong Kong on Feb. 4 that he was suffering from a groin injury, and his absence sparked spectator anger. He played three days later in Tokyo in an exhibition against Vissel Kobe.

Argentina, the defending world and South American champion, opens the Copa América against Canada or Trinidad and Tobago on June 20 at Atlanta, then plays Chile five days later at East Rutherford, New Jersey, and Peru on June 29 at Miami Gardens, Florida.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/39577073/argentina-canceled-china-friendlies-rescheduled-usa

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

8 hours ago, Napoleon said:

How would you say “Fuck China!” in the most soccer way you could imagine?

image.thumb.jpeg.c514386fff305c01e41445815a267b09.jpeg

Argentina scheduled exhibitions against El Salvador and Nigeria in the United States next month as part of Copa America preparations, replacing a China tour canceled after Lionel Messi didn't play at Inter Miami's preseason game in Hong Kong.

Argentina will play El Salvador on March 22 at Philadelphia's Lincoln Financial Field and Nigeria four days later at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, the Argentina Football Association said Thursday.

Messi, Argentina's captain, is likely to be with the World Cup champions and miss Miami's Major League Soccer match at the New York Red Bulls on March 23.

World Cup champion Argentina had been scheduled to play Nigeria at Hangzhou and Ivory Coast at Beijing during a tour of China from March 18-26.

image.jpeg.67d28ca7f0a9db0a582490afa124d958.jpeg
Lionel Messi and Argentina will now play two March friendlies in the United States. 

Messi said before Miami's friendly against a local all-star team in Hong Kong on Feb. 4 that he was suffering from a groin injury, and his absence sparked spectator anger. He played three days later in Tokyo in an exhibition against Vissel Kobe.

Argentina, the defending world and South American champion, opens the Copa América against Canada or Trinidad and Tobago on June 20 at Atlanta, then plays Chile five days later at East Rutherford, New Jersey, and Peru on June 29 at Miami Gardens, Florida.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/39577073/argentina-canceled-china-friendlies-rescheduled-usa

This is CONCACAF-level pettiness and I love it.