CFP Semifinal: Texas vs Washington - 7:45pm on ESPN

Pancho

17 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Hah yeah I missed the guy on the very end growing out of the back of the guy in front of him.

I was told there would be no math….

Math was minimalized. You flunked Pattern Matching.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Except the two guys a couple of yards behind the front line are Odunze and McMillan, and either of those guys are going to win that race.

Would've been more fun to watch, though.

The benefit for Texas there is that the unpredictable bounces of a football are much more likely to find open space that Odunze and McMillan might not be moving toward than that a standard onside kick's bounces will escape a mass of Huskies. At least that would be the thought. Either method obviously has a low probability of success. 

Some of those were RPOs right? I haven't rewatched but I was curious if UW was doing something on defense to confuse Quinn with his RPO reads.

This is the question I have. And I’d lean towards the defense playing less aggressive and towards the pass.
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

That ball was never going to bounce. Probably the dumbest damn onsides attempt I’ve seen in my life. Texas had no shot of recovering that.
Looked like something a monkey would come up with after it bit a kid at Halloween.

The Cowboys recovered an onside kick just like that a couple of years ago. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, NashLonghorn said:

So if the ball deflects off a player then the kicking team gets it they can’t advance the ball?  How about a catch and fumble?

A catch and fumble would be advanceable, anything else is treated the same as a muffed punt.

48 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I want to see onside kicks where the kicking team just rockets the kick into the front line hoping to get a bounce back. 

Didn't we basically do that in the champ game against Bama?

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I want to see onside kicks where the kicking team just rockets the kick into the front line hoping to get a bounce back. 

This is the insides kick we used against Alabama in the Colt injury BCS game.  I had never seen that type of kick before but it worked perfectly. 

Just now, JGrayDBU said:

This is the onsides kick we used against Alabama in the Colt injury BCS game.  I had never seen that type of kick before but it worked perfectly. 

16 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

That's actually happened recently. I can't remember the game though. Hit someone right in the head. 

19 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It was completely inadvertent, but that exact kind of kickoff is what started the Oilers’ collapse against Buffalo on 1993. Kicking off after going up 35-3 Al Del Greco mis-hit the ball and it drilled one of their frontline guys right in the chest and ricocheted to the side. We missed two chances to recover it, they fell on it, Don Beebe scored eleven touchdowns in 4 minutes, and the rest is history…

Edited by Ignatius

3 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

That's actually happened recently. I can't remember the game though. Hit someone right in the head. 

I agree that it seems like a good strategy.  We benefited from it in 2009 NCG if I remember correctly - we recovered a line drive ricochet kickoff to start the second half.  Scored on that drive.