Big10 Sugar Bowl Refs

Zeus

14 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

On ball placement:

Aside from the examples above, there seemed to be an unnatural location for spots throughout the game for UW.

What I mean is that in the normal course of a game, you see a play, you see the spot, you make a mental check, ok and move on.

In this game, there were many times where I thought, "that's not quite right".  On over half I would say there was no replay shown to provide confirmation. It just felt a little weird. I would say mostly in the first half.

i can almost guarantee you that if you go back and watch, almost all of those mental notes you made in the first half were ball spots by the linesman on our sideline. 

4 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Well Banks is also in the backfield TBH...

This crew was really bad at spotting the ball ..the play right before the one that got reviewed and moved back was worse than the one that got reviewed, he was given a full yard. 

Refs weren't great but Penix was death and their receivers made some great contested catches. Baxter and Blue have the potential to be a great duo but ball security issues have to get fixed. 

And Burke lined up off sides several times as well. The refs weren’t good at all, but they did t cost us the game. We played like shit on both sides for most of the game.

A few ref observations: 

1. Very one sided officiating all night

2. Texas was constantly marked a yard short or Washington was given a yard more than they were supposed to get. Some of these plays had to be reviewed to undo the shitty spotting. 

3. The "block below the waist" was a fucking joke

4. The most egregious call of the game was the late hit personal foul hit in the back that they threw the flag for when Washington had the ball up 6 on their own 22 yard line (this wouldve made it 2nd and 22 from their own 11 yard line) but then inexplicably picked it up

5. I think the Blue fumble was not a clear recovery before the refs had blown the whistles 80 times and caused the players to stop scrumming for the balls as hard as they were. Blue fumbles it and the refs came running in blowing their whistles and the ball was still free and Xavier almost came up with it but they had already blown the play dead and nobody had it. To me, the recovery was not clear and immediate. This take will probably be controversial, but thats how I saw it. 

6. Penis threw the ball beyond the line of scrimmage and that may have been a drive killing penalty for them (forgot this one in my initial post)

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

A few ref observations: 

2. Texas was constantly marked a yard short or Washington was given a yard more than they were supposed to get. Some of these plays had to be reviewed to undo the shitty spotting. 

4. The most egregious call of the game was the late hit personal foul hit in the back that they threw the flag for when Washington had the ball up 6 on their own 22 yard line (this wouldve made it 2nd and 22 from their own 11 yard line) but then inexplicably picked it up

5. I think the Blue fumble was not a clear recovery before the refs had blown the whistles 80 times and caused the players to stop scrumming for the balls as hard as they were. Blue fumbles it and the refs came running in blowing their whistles and the ball was still free and Xavier almost came up with it but they had already blown the play dead and nobody had it. To me, the recovery was not clear and immediate. This take will probably be controversial, but thats how I saw it. 

6. Penis threw the ball beyond the line of scrimmage and that may have been a drive killing penalty for them (forgot this one in my initial post)

You’re not wrong. You’re not wrong, but. 

Edited by Gucci_Suit

8 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Let me preface this by saying the refs did not cost us the game. I firmly believe the football gods gave us a chance to win this thing despite all of the BS and how badly we played and we squandered it. 

A few ref observations: 

Anyways, we still should've won the game. 

Pretty fair analysis.  I think they got the fumble call right.

3 hours ago, sidis said:

it should have either been 1st and 20 (for illegal block in the back) or it should have been 2nd and 27 (dead ball unnecessary roughness/unsportsmanlike) after the play resulted in a two yard loss.

Yeah.  I didn't understand this getting picked up at all

1 hour ago, FloridaHorn said:

And Burke lined up off sides several times as well. The refs weren’t good at all, but they did t cost us the game. We played like shit on both sides for most of the game.

You generally get a warning the first time you line up in the neutral zone.

Didn't rewatch the low block call, but it's not a penalty on a player originating in the tackle box.  I thought he cut a pulling lineman? Which is very much a legal play.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Pretty fair analysis.  I think they got the fumble call right.

Yeah.  I didn't understand this getting picked up at all

You generally get a warning the first time you line up in the neutral zone.

Didn't rewatch the low block call, but it's not a penalty on a player originating in the tackle box.  I thought he cut a pulling lineman? Which is very much a legal play.

It was on a lineman who was coming to block him almost on the sideline.   Is it really not to be called when it happens on a player who comes from the tackle box?

He hit him in the gut and not the legs anyway but your comment is interesting.

Sark needs to tell the refs and his players that we will continue to fight for any fumble whistled dead regardless of the whistle blowing.  the clear recovery rule has been bastardized. There can't be a scrum with multiple hands on a loose ball and a clear recovery.

It was supposed to be for cases where the ball goes loose and someone obviously gets it with no one else having any chance of getting it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

Spotting was also quite confusing. The obvious fourth and one stop we had and they still wanted to do a measurement was dumb. It was a full yard and a half. Then the excellent play made by Barron where he stopped the receiver, a yard short, and they gave Washington first down by full yard. The discrepancy with the little things that add up over the course of the game is what was making me the most angry at the refs. 

At one point in the 1h. We stopped a guy short. Sideline ref immediately waved the chains ahead. Then when they actually spotted the ball, after the chains had moved, the ball, spotted correctly was at least a foot short.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Besides the ones listed here, there was one on a return (kick, I think) where our returner was clearly OOB, and the defender had him wrapped up then threw him to the ground at least 3 yards OOB.   Just seemed to me that should have garnered an unsportsmanlike call.     There's a lot of talk about coaching (of lack of) for preparedness and so forth.   But poor sportsmanship is also coached, or allowed by coaches.   And then it's brushed off as "intimidation" by the broadcasters/media.  Used to be that kind of play would cost a team.    

That stuff and all the taunting and horns down, etc. just tarnishes the game, as far as I am concerned.   I am glad that humility and sportsmanship are part of Sark's culture.  When people do that kind of stuff, taking borderline cheap shots even, it only exhibits to me a pretty large inferiority complex.   

And yes, there will be plenty who take that as arrogance, and point to the scoreboard as the sole measure of a team or competitor.    Maybe it is, but maybe that excellence in our institution is something others envy, and over time doing things the right way and with good sportsmanship pays off, reputation wise.  And that draws in the best coaches, players, fans, etc.    I doubt that any other team in FBS can claim as much hatred directed at them all year long, from so many different parties, as the Longhorns.  And it plays to their credit that they don't lash out due to frustration, and maintain composure after the game.  I mean it's got to be pretty hard to embrace all that hate and not take a swing at someone.  

I'd like to see some of that return to college football, but maybe it's too late, maybe the money is too big?

I found it irritating that the LHN guys -- Fozzy, Robison etc. -- called out the Longhorns' committing so many penalties as part of their problem, without the remotest hint about the lopsided calls/no calls. Did they not actually watch the game or are they just not allowed to say anything like that? It's our hometown crew FFS.

• Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

It was on a lineman who was coming to block him almost on the sideline.   Is it really not to be called when it happens on a player who comes from the tackle box?

He hit him in the gut and not the legs anyway but your comment is interesting.

There is like a 5 yards downfield limit to it and the tacklebox has to be intact, which I think were both true.

Those questioning the Blue fumble being an immediate recovery are correct. If either Worthy or Helm heard a whistle, then that’s a dead ball. That’s the important of the clear recovery. That other players could have no impact on the ultimate recovery.

My guess is there is a disconnect between the field and upstairs on such a play. The only guy that knows for certain is the guy that blew the whistle, and he has no direct communication with the replay official.

19 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

I found it irritating that the LHN guys -- Fozzy, Robison etc. -- called out the Longhorns' committing so many penalties as part of their problem, without the remotest hint about the lopsided calls/no calls. Did they not actually watch the game or are they just not allowed to say anything like that? It's our hometown crew FFS.

They are ex-players and are conditioned over the years to look inwardly, especially NFL guys, and I think they were talking mainly about the dead ball penalties.  I think we had 5.

In hindsight I actually wish we had decided to just interfere on most of the deep balls vs what we were doing. 

Just now, Had Enough said:

Those questioning the Blue fumble being an immediate recovery are correct. If either Worthy or Helm heard a whistle, then that’s a dead ball. That’s the important of the clear recovery. That other players could have no impact on the ultimate recovery.

My guess is there is a disconnect between the field and upstairs on such a play. The only guy that knows for certain is the guy that blew the whistle, and he has no direct communication with the replay official.

They blew that play dead long before there was a recovery. I just watched it back. It even caused the guy in the scrum to start to half ass it. 100% not a clear recovery in my book. We got fucked on all the 50/50 calls last night. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

Just now, The_Great_Hornsby said:

They blew that play dead long before there was a recovery. I just watched it back. It even caused the guy in the scrum to start to half ass it. 100% not a clear recovery in my book. We got fucked on all the 50/50 calls last night. 

agreed.  it has been bastardized because of replay.  A clear recovery has to be in the immediate after action with only one team having a shot at it.  

8 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

#enshitification 

5 hours ago, Royale with cheese said:

Occam's razor. Y'all are making it waaaay too complicated. The moment I saw the refs come out of their dressing room with their seeing-eye dogs and noticed that all their white canes had B1G logos, I knew we were toast. 

I do wonder if B1G officials were just overwhelmed with the speed and motion of two modern and talented offenses. Had to be a shock for them. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

There is like a 5 yards downfield limit to it and the tacklebox has to be intact, which I think were both true.

You’re confusing two different plays/flags. The “cut block” was the below the waist called on us when we were on D. Replay showed he did not initiate contact below the waist.

The block in the back was committed against Watts, but likely after the play was over.

In any event, because I’m not sure, can you block in the back at the LOS?

Has it been stated that this is a bad precedent conference officiating is setting? It will be next year when the SEC screws the big ten out of either the final 4 or championship. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dewey said:

Has it been stated that this is a bad precedent conference officiating is setting? It will be next year when the SEC screws the big ten out of either the final 4 or championship. 

Not the reason we lost, but I will find it mildly funny if UW gets lightly fucked by shitty officiating next week. Just enough to make you wonder, like we have here. 

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

Sark needs to tell the refs and his players that we will continue to fight for any fumble whistled dead regardless of the whistle blowing.  the clear recovery rule has been bastardized. There can't be a scrum with multiple hands on a loose ball and a clear recovery.

It was supposed to be for cases where the ball goes loose and someone obviously gets it with no one else having any chance of getting it.

All of this.

1 hour ago, scottsins said:

You’re confusing two different plays/flags. The “cut block” was the below the waist called on us when we were on D. Replay showed he did not initiate contact below the waist.

The block in the back was committed against Watts, but likely after the play was over.

In any event, because I’m not sure, can you block in the back at the LOS?

yes within the tackle box

• Like 1