Texas Softball 2024 - Farewell to the Big 12 (and back to OKC?)

Js1

I know Texas- Texas A&M is huge for our fanbase, but half of our lineup is from out of state, and they haven't been a conference rival in a decade or so.  I wonder if the players care as much as the media does.  

1 minute ago, bschoolprof said:

I know Texas- Texas A&M is huge for our fanbase, but half of our lineup is from out of state, and they haven't been a conference rival in a decade or so.  I wonder if the players care as much as the media does.  

I expect the players to care enough to beat aggy ass in two games.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bschoolprof said:

Reese, CG, Sophia, Henry, Mac (former player under Ford), Scott (former aggy commit), Cap, Goode

I expect Cap will know to make sure everyone knows it’s personal and a rivalry still 

Bella knows too. She’s from Texas. A lot of them were here last year and it got chippy thanks to agroid assistant coach. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Reese, CG, Sophia, Henry, Mac (former player under Ford), Scott (former aggy commit), Cap, Goode

I expect Cap will know to make sure everyone knows it’s personal and a rivalry still 

Bella knows too. She’s from Texas. A lot of them were here last year and it got chippy thanks to agroid assistant coach. 

I’m guessing places like sandia and Wylie are loaded with ags, so them girls know the score. 

• Like 1

good grief, so lemme get this straight, stop me if I've fucked up

in the regionals, we

1. No-hit the first game

2. Run-ruled the second,

3. 7-0 beatdown, career high 12 K's in the third

Are the playoffs always this easy in softball? Or are we just that much better than everyone else

We are #1 for a reason but the top teams with good talent and good coaching don’t struggle. Teams lose regionals all the time, including top seeds. 

3 seeded teams lost regionals last year, including #2 UCLA 

• Like 1

CSF forced a winner take all against Stanford. Canady should start the winner take all game. 

UCLA up big on Grand Canyon

Noles and Auburn 3-3

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

good grief, so lemme get this straight, stop me if I've fucked up

in the regionals, we

1. No-hit the first game

2. Run-ruled the second,

3. 7-0 beatdown, career high 12 K's in the third

Are the playoffs always this easy in softball? Or are we just that much better than everyone else

In addition to @Js1's points, women's team sports are less competitive and, as a result, much more chalky than men's team sports.

I mentioned we lost 2 regionals at home as a national seed under Clark. It was so pathetic. #3 overall and #7 overall. I think we were #6 when we lost that home super to Mike White’s Duck team 

Just now, bschoolprof said:

Step 1 needs to be cover the grandstands!

Should have been done years ago. April/May in Austin, ugh. Don’t use not hosting the SECT until the 2030s as an excuse to delay it 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

With FSU likely to hold on, Texas will have played the super regional teams: 

#2 x4

#5 x3

#6 x2

Baylor x4

Add #8 x2 if they advance. Between 16 and 18 games against super regional teams. A record between 11-5 and 12-6

Edited by Js1

9 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Canady, Maxwell, and Kilfoyl are mainly what worries me the rest of the way. I think we get by tamu to get to the ws. Whether we can beat any of those 3 (perhaps twice) is more iffy. We will see. 

Texas has to hold serve an stay on the winner's side of things. Force other teams to burn lots of innings with those aces. Stanford only has Canady, and she will have to pitch every game for them to advance. Kilfoyl is gettable, but OSU can score on anyone. Maxwell is the problem, as Gasso can use Day and Deal to eat up innings and save Maxwell for big games. That being said, I like the Horns chances, if the offense stays versatile. So much speed at the bottom and top of the order, makes this team hard to handle....especially if Atwood or Stewart get into a groove.

• Hook 'Em 3

43 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Texas has to hold serve a stay on the winner's side of things. Force other teams to burn lots of innings with those aces. Stanford only has Canady, and she will have to pitch every game for them to advance. Kilfoyl is gettable, but OSU can score on anyone. Maxwell is the problem, as Gasso can use Day and Deal to eat up innings and save Maxwell for big games. That being said, I like the Horns chances, if the offense stays versatile. So much speed at the bottom and top of the order, makes this team hard to handle....especially if Atwood or Stewart get into a groove.

The speed especially. Can’t get away from small ball, force teams to make plays 

10 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

This.

Especially against elite pitchers. Maloney, Scott, Henry, Dayton can all lay them down and get on for Atwood, Stewie, Cap and Vivi. Manufacture runs with sacrifice flies or pressure the pitcher not to throw wild pitches 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Especially against elite pitchers. Maloney, Scott, Henry, Dayton can all lay them down and get on for Atwood, Stewie, Cap and Vivi. Manufacture runs with sacrifice flies or pressure the pitcher not to throw wild pitches 

Agreed, small ball will be imperative to our success. Must put pressure on the defense and also make the pitchers move and field the position. Maybe force them into a couple of errors and score a few cheap ones. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Worst vacation in the history of life. 

Having a wonderful time!  Worst one was watching the Kansas game that Charlie lost while abroad at some godawful time. All I could do was laugh and drink another beer at some dingy European bar I found it on 

18 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Any idea what tv will be for game 2?

Game 3 ain't happening, dammit.

No TV listed for any of them for game 2. Assume they will prioritize based on best matchups/game 1 upsets 

Edited by Js1

Posted (edited)

Friday, May 24

• Game 1: No. 1 Texas vs. No. 16 Texas A&M at 6 p.m. on ESPN2

Saturday, May 25

• Game 2: No. 1 Texas vs. No. 16 Texas A&M at 5 p.m., TV TBD

Sunday, May 26

• Game 3 (if necessary), Time and TV TBD

Thursday, May 23

• Game 1: No. 2 Oklahoma vs. No. 15 Florida State at 7 p.m. on ESPN2

Friday, May 24

• Game 2: No. 2 Oklahoma vs. No. 15 Florida State at 8 p.m., TV TBD

Saturday, May 25

• Game 3 (if necessary), Time and TV TBD
Edited by Cairn Horn88
  • Like 1

Austin Super Regional

Norman Super Regional 

Knoxville Super Regional

Gainesville Super Regional

Stillwater Super Regional

Los Angeles Super Regional

Columbia Super Regional

Stanford Super Regional

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Player of the year should be split between position players and pitchers. It's really difficult to try to compare the two. That said, there hasn't been a pitcher like Canady in a long time. Maybe all the way back to Cat.

And the pitching is what will be the decider for Texas. Will we get the 1st inning jitters from Citlaly/Keegan, or will we get the 2-7 innings we got from Keegan yesterday? That 2-7 innings yesterday may be the best pitching performance from Texas all season.

Aggie will play relaxed since they have nothing to lose being the lower seed. Texas has to do the same. Texas can't give up a couple of runs on walks in the first inning and expect to come back. And we know aggie would rather beat Texas more than win the natty. Quite honestly, I'd rather be facing any 10-15 seed than aggie.

3 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

Player of the year should be split between position players and pitchers. It's really difficult to try to compare the two. That said, there hasn't been a pitcher like Canady in a long time. Maybe all the way back to Cat.

And the pitching is what will be the decider for Texas. Will we get the 1st inning jitters from Citlaly/Keegan, or will we get the 2-7 innings we got from Keegan yesterday? That 2-7 innings yesterday may be the best pitching performance from Texas all season.

Aggie will play relaxed since they have nothing to lose being the lower seed. Texas has to do the same. Texas can't give up a couple of runs on walks in the first inning and expect to come back. And we know aggie would rather beat Texas more than win the natty. Quite honestly, I'd rather be facing any 10-15 seed than aggie.

Negged for use of "natty". 🤬

Posted (edited)

Also Teagan, not Keegan. Flipped around the first letter of her first and name last name haha - Keegan Tavan

But I do agree, best pitching performance of the whole season by a Texas pitcher. Most strikeouts in a game too by a Texas pitcher this year. 

Texas is 12-6 against the super regional teams. The only team better is Florida (15-7). Aggy is like 2-8 (won 2/3 from Bama)

Edited by Js1

54 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

There hasn’t been a pitcher like Canady since Cat???

1. Kelly Barnhill

2. Jordy Bahl

3. Montana Fouts

4. Jackie Trayna

5. Danielle Lawrie

6. Rachel Garcia

Just to name a few. Fact is that every couple of years, an arm like this comes along. One you can ride all the way to a title if she gets hot. Yes Canada is that type of talent, but her team is absolute dog shit outside of her.

• Hook 'Em 1