Texas Softball 2024 - Farewell to the Big 12 (and back to OKC?)

Js1

40 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Agreed, small ball will be imperative to our success. Must put pressure on the defense and also make the pitchers move and field the position. Maybe force them into a couple of errors and score a few cheap ones. 

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

The speed especially. Can’t get away from small ball, force teams to make plays 

Facts!!! It was good to see them go to this over the weekend. 

18 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

There hasn’t been a pitcher like Canady since Cat???

1. Kelly Barnhill

2. Jordy Bahl

3. Montana Fouts

4. Jackie Trayna

5. Danielle Lawrie

6. Rachel Garcia

Just to name a few. Fact is that every couple of years, an arm like this comes along. One you can ride all the way to a title if she gets hot. Yes Canada is that type of talent, but her team is absolute dog shit outside of her.

Fouts was good AF!!! and looked good doing it might I add

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Also Teagan, not Keegan. Flipped around the first letter of her first and name last name haha - Keegan Tavan

But I do agree, best pitching performance of the whole season by a Texas pitcher. Most strikeouts in a game too by a Texas pitcher this year. 

Texas is 12-6 against the super regional teams. The only team better is Florida (15-7). Aggy is like 2-8 (won 2/3 from Bama)

Can't believe I screwed up the name of one of our players so bad. Usually I'm the one correcting. But I'm going to the the excuse I've had a bad headache all morning.

40 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

There hasn’t been a pitcher like Canady since Cat???

1. Kelly Barnhill

2. Jordy Bahl

3. Montana Fouts

4. Jackie Trayna

5. Danielle Lawrie

6. Rachel Garcia

Just to name a few. Fact is that every couple of years, an arm like this comes along. One you can ride all the way to a title if she gets hot. Yes Canada is that type of talent, but her team is absolute dog shit outside of her.

No, none of these were even as good as Lawrie, at least according to the list below. And as best as I can find, Canady has a better ERA than Lawrie. And not Abbott, she only had more strikeouts than Cat because she had a lot more innings. She was a one woman show. Texas always had a decent #2 behind Cat. Just like Ron Dayne had more yards that Ricky only because he had a lot more carries.

The 11 best college softball pitchers of all time | NCAA.com

3 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Rather have Cat!

Kinda lame that OU gets the national crew, which has 2 color analysts. They could have had Amanda and Cat and the gimmick be 2 color analysts are who alumni of each school playing. That would have been neat 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, FloridaHorn said:

I didn't go back that far, as she overlapped with Cat. However, she was really good and the mound was 40' in those days. 70 MPH from 40' was almost unhittable.

She threw from 43’ in college. And never threw 70mph. She was best at 65ish mph. 

4 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Her choice?

No.

• Drool 1

On 5/20/2024 at 7:49 PM, Js1 said:

Kinda lame that OU gets the national crew, which has 2 color analysts. They could have had Amanda and Cat and the gimmick be 2 color analysts are who alumni of each school playing. That would have been neat 

ugh I usually don't do this but I hope Florida State Bust they ass!!! How does the #1 team going against one of it's main rivals not get the main stage and crew?? ugh 

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, D3zii said:

ugh I usually don't do this but I hope Florida State Bust they ass!!! How does the #1 team going against one of it's main rivals not get the main stage and crew?? ugh 

I don’t know why they went to OU because FSU lost Royalty for the season. Their pitching is on life support 

Edited by Js1

Seems like they sent that crew to Norman because it is cheaper to keep them in the area since they were just at Stillwater. Don’t have to mess with flights and expensive Austin hotels just hop in the Toyota Corolla from Alamo and drive over. Not to mention now they are already there for the WCWS. 

I also don’t think it’s that big of a deal. Scarborough is usually pretty good and not very biased. Having Cat as the 3rd would have been a great move too but maybe Cat wasn’t available?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Seems like they sent that crew to Norman because it is cheaper to keep them in the area since they were just at Stillwater. Don’t have to mess with flights and expensive Austin hotels just hop in the Toyota Corolla from Alamo and drive over. Not to mention now they are already there for the WCWS. 

I also don’t think it’s that big of a deal. Scarborough is usually pretty good and not very biased. Having Cat as the 3rd would have been a great move too but maybe Cat wasn’t available?

I have nothing against Amanda.  I think the big crew stayed in Norman because it's the 3-time champ.  That's all. 

Amanda is good, but I don't really care for national postseason broadcast to feature a former player of that school doing color.  Shipman is also doing the Tenn game.  Could have flipped them.   But if you're going to have Amanda do color, I think having a 2nd color analyst would have been great with it being Cat.  I'm sure they are friends and would have a good time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I have nothing against Amanda.  I think the big crew stayed in Norman because it's the 3-time champ.  That's all. 

Amanda is good, but I don't really care for national postseason broadcast to feature a former player of that school doing color.  Shipman is also doing the Tenn game.  Could have flipped them.   But if you're going to have Amanda do color, I think having a 2nd color analyst would have been great with it being Cat.  I'm sure they are friends and would have a good time. 

I don't care if they let a student manager do the broadcast as long as I don't have to listen to Michelle Smith talk.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

I don't care if they let a student manager do the broadcast as long as I don't have to listen to Michelle Smith talk.

*Smitty

Yeah I wouldn't bet on that lol.  With Royalty out (3.57 ERA in 29 appearances) and Makenna Reid (3.37 ERA in 30 appearances) who looks done (hasn't pitched since April 21), this is what FSU has left:

Danley - 3.12 ERA in 137 IP (by far the most used)
Gooden - 4.25 ERA in 52.2 IP
Wilson - 4.47 ERA in 36 IP
Balk - 9.33 ERA in 3 IP

The key to beating OU is to show them different looks in 3 games and not having Royalty and Reid is a death sentence. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Fan Duels champ odds:

OU - 54%
Texas - 12%

OU is -150, Texas is +650 and everyone else is +1900 or worse

Throw $100 on Texas and make $650 if we win it all. 

• Like 1

On 5/22/2024 at 1:59 PM, Js1 said:

I don’t know why they went to OU because FSU lost Royalty for the season. Their pitching is on life support 

This could easily be a 2-game run-rule super coming up. Which doesn't sound all that super. 

52 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Fan Duels champ odds:

OU - 54%
Texas - 12%

OU is -150, Texas is +650 and everyone else is +1900 or worse

Throw $100 on Texas and make $650 if we win it all. 

Actually, if given the opportunity, I’d rather face OU than OkSt….we only scored 2 runs on them in 3 games.  Our pitching was able to keep OU to 1 run in the two games we won here in Austin.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Did we recruit Rylee Slimp from Liberty Hill?  She is headed to UCLA…, a center fielder and one of the best players in Cen Tex.?

https://tinyurl.com/29bahvbv

There’s an article that mentions she wanted to go out of state because she has always lived in Texas. Lists Tenn, Oregon, Georgia and UCLA. Must have been her finalists 

We also have the next Brejae Washington in CF already. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)

Hourly Weather Forecast for Norman, OK - The Weather Channel | Weather.com

Chance of rain in Norman.

Super Regional Schedule/TV/Eastern times

Austin Super Regional

Norman Super Regional 

Knoxville Super Regional

Gainesville Super Regional

Stillwater Super Regional

Los Angeles Super Regional

Columbia Super Regional

Stanford Super Regional

2024 NCAA softball bracket: Women's College World Series scores, schedule | NCAA.com

Edited by torre
  • Hook 'Em 1

Is nothing ever said that OU gets to play everything at home?  Every year they get the conference tournament, a regional, the super, and the world series.  Yes, I understand you have to "earn" the regional and super, but sure makes things easier when every year you get the conference tournament and world series at home. 

2 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Cakewalk for the bad guys.  

If the committee seeded things properly and not for their sacred narratives, it would be something more like Tenn-aggy, OU-Bama and Texas-FSU.  

• Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Cakewalk for the bad guys.  

FSU does not have its top  pitchers…thus, it’s just batting practice for OU….OU will be the first of the 16 teams to make it in….then pack their bags for the long long 20 mile trip to OKC!

• Rage+1 1

I'm sure ESPN was hoping for better than 11-3 (5) and 8-0 (6)

Today's schedule:

Baylor @ #4 UF - 11am
#10 Duke @ #7 Mizzou - 1pm
#14 Bama @ #3 Tennessee - 3pm
#16 aggy @ #1 Texas - 5pm
#15 FSU @ #2 OU - 7pm (OU leads 1-0)
Arizona @ #5 OKST - 7pm
#11 Georgia @ #6 UCLA - 9pm (UCLA leads 1-0)
#9 LSU @ #8 Stanford - 9pm

12 hours ago, Js1 said:

OU won 11-3 (5) and lead the series 1-0

Sad to say, but my belief that OU would waltz to the WCWS on the strength of two run-rule blowouts is halfway to completion. FSU obviously was nothing special when Texas blasted them 10-0 in Florida and might be even worse now.

Not sure how the 'Noles managed to get to 46-14 going into the super, but it doesn't speak well to their SOS. Anyone could have seen this weekend's rout coming...and I'm sure the committee did. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

Sad to say, but my belief that OU would waltz to the WCWS on the strength of two run-rule blowouts is halfway to completion. FSU obviously was nothing special when Texas blasted them 10-0 in Florida and might be even worse now.

Not sure how the 'Noles managed to get to 46-14 going into the super, but it doesn't speak well to their SOS. Anyone could have seen this weekend's rout coming...and I'm sure the committee did. 

Weak ACC 

• Hook 'Em 1

Quotes:    @bschoolprof  Do you by chance have the Mike White press conf that is referenced ?

(White) “For us to win the national championship, we have to play everybody and beat good teams,” he said during a press conference Thursday. “This is just an opportunity to play a very good team from a very good conference, and the extra added piece is the rivalry, but the game tomorrow night won’t know that.”

Aggies left-handed pitcher Emiley Kennedy threw the bulk of the innings and White fully expects to see her high-velocity style again.

“She’s tough,” White said. “She’s controlling her emotions better than she was before, so she’s smoothed that out. She knows she’s the ace and the team depends on her, and she takes that and rides with it. She’s got the same kind of stuff and velocity, she’ll throw a little bit of offspeed but she wants to power the ball by you.”

(Kennedy) “I personally am not a fan of Austin, Texas,” she said. “I grew up in the College Station area. It’s just a school rivalry so we’re not really making it too big.” Kennedy went to Lake Creek High School in Montgomery, about an hour’s drive from the Texas A&M campus.

“The balance of attack in the SEC is much higher than a lot of conferences, top to bottom,” Ford said. “Every team has a pitcher who can throw 70 mph and 5-6 players that are top-notch, players who can put up a crooked number with one swing.”

https://www.kxan.com/sports/longhorns-aggies-downplay-lone-star-showdown-rivalry-headed-into-softball-super-regional/

19 minutes ago, torre said:

Quotes:    @bschoolprof  Do you by chance have the Mike White press conf that is referenced ?

(White) “For us to win the national championship, we have to play everybody and beat good teams,” he said during a press conference Thursday. “This is just an opportunity to play a very good team from a very good conference, and the extra added piece is the rivalry, but the game tomorrow night won’t know that.”

Aggies left-handed pitcher Emiley Kennedy threw the bulk of the innings and White fully expects to see her high-velocity style again.

“She’s tough,” White said. “She’s controlling her emotions better than she was before, so she’s smoothed that out. She knows she’s the ace and the team depends on her, and she takes that and rides with it. She’s got the same kind of stuff and velocity, she’ll throw a little bit of offspeed but she wants to power the ball by you.”

(Kennedy) “I personally am not a fan of Austin, Texas,” she said. “I grew up in the College Station area. It’s just a school rivalry so we’re not really making it too big.” Kennedy went to Lake Creek High School in Montgomery, about an hour’s drive from the Texas A&M campus.

“The balance of attack in the SEC is much higher than a lot of conferences, top to bottom,” Ford said. “Every team has a pitcher who can throw 70 mph and 5-6 players that are top-notch, players who can put up a crooked number with one swing.”

https://www.kxan.com/sports/longhorns-aggies-downplay-lone-star-showdown-rivalry-headed-into-softball-super-regional/

I don't - sorry

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, torre said:

“I personally am not a fan of Austin, Texas,” she said. “I grew up in the College Station area. It’s just a school rivalry so we’re not really making it too big.” Kennedy went to Lake Creek High School in Montgomery, about an hour’s drive from the Texas A&M campus.

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952jppaixsgxxccxwb52ii

• Haha 1