2024 Houston Texans off-season thread

The Earl of Texas

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

i’d good with this. Sign a cheaper fa or draft one 

What in the Texans substantial TE draft history encourages you on the latter?

EDIT - Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to save the probably $12MM yearly Schultz is probably going to cost I just don’t see anyone in the FA market who is as reliable a pass catcher and I don’t want CJ to have to be in the position of being perfect (even though he can be) because he doesn’t have many dudes who can get open.

Edited by Ignatius

3 hours ago, Ignatius said:

What in the Texans substantial TE draft history encourages you on the latter?

EDIT - Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to save the probably $12MM yearly Schultz is probably going to cost I just don’t see anyone in the FA market who is as reliable a pass catcher and I don’t want CJ to have to be in the position of being perfect (even though he can be) because he doesn’t have many dudes who can get open.

Owen Daniels was a two time Pro Bowl selection.  

If Sanders is there with their first round pick, would it make sense to draft him?  He may be the best player available at that spot but may not be the most important position of need.  But tell me he couldn't fill the Kittle role on this offense...at least as a receiver.  He needs to get better at blocking, but that really is a "want to" skill.  I don't know, but he could be a huge weapon. 

I get it and I'm not even wearing my "Burnt Orange" glasses when I think about Sanders.  This offense is built for TE's to thrive.  Sanders running down the middle with Tank and Collins on the outside?  That's kind of fun to think about.  Stroud is great at those seam throws. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/3/2024 at 8:29 PM, Hate said:

If Sanders is there with their first round pick, would it make sense to draft him?  He may be the best player available at that spot but may not be the most important position of need.  But tell me he couldn't fill the Kittle role on this offense...at least as a receiver.  He needs to get better at blocking, but that really is a "want to" skill.  I don't know, but he could be a huge weapon. 

Assuming he doesn’t blowout the combine, that’ll be too early for him 

A couple of senior bowl risers who'd make sense for Houston at #23 if they're still on the board; Missouri DL Darius Robinson, and Toledo CB Quinyon Mitchell

I like DeJean, Mims (or other physically gifted OTs getting pushed down to #23 due to the strength of the OT class), Robinson, and Mitchell. #23 seems like it's too late to get the first wave of WRs, and too early for the late first/early second types (might be better off drafting a WR in the 2nd like Malachi Corley, if he's there). Maybe if they love one of those WRs (Coleman, Worthy, Mitchell, Wilson, Franklin, etc), they go ahead and take him, but I'd bet they have others (like the four I mentioned above) ahead of those guys

Some good corners seem to be falling into the middle of the 2nd round, maybe one of those could drop to us?

This class is loaded at interior OL, but it's tough to see us using a premium pick on one after taking Suggs in the 2nd last year

7 hours ago, Fud said:

A couple of senior bowl risers who'd make sense for Houston at #23 if they're still on the board; Missouri DL Darius Robinson, and Toledo CB Quinyon Mitchell

I like DeJean, Mims (or other physically gifted OTs getting pushed down to #23 due to the strength of the OT class), Robinson, and Mitchell. #23 seems like it's too late to get the first wave of WRs, and too early for the late first/early second types (might be better off drafting a WR in the 2nd like Malachi Corley, if he's there). Maybe if they love one of those WRs (Coleman, Worthy, Mitchell, Wilson, Franklin, etc), they go ahead and take him, but I'd bet they have others (like the four I mentioned above) ahead of those guys

Some good corners seem to be falling into the middle of the 2nd round, maybe one of those could drop to us?

This class is loaded at interior OL, but it's tough to see us using a premium pick on one after taking Suggs in the 2nd last year

I can’t say I watched many Toledo games, but scouts love Mitchell; a lot of people think if he played at tOSU/Michigan he’d be a top-10 lock…

Newton doesn't really fit (small quick DTs) what SF drafted early when DeMeco was there, or what NE/Houston drafted when Caserio was at each spot

I think a jumbo edge who can move up and down the line like Darius Robinson or a first step speed rusher like Chop Robinson make more sense

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

A good DT very much compliments anderson 

Or pick up Christian Wilkins in free agency and draft Chop Robinson and have one of the top defensive lines in the NFL.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/5/2024 at 8:42 AM, Murfdogg21 said:

Maybe Washington is dumb and would give up #36 and #40 to move up to #23.

I like this. Trade out of the 1st round and pick up another 2nd round pick and late 2nd or early 3rd. It looks like a deep draft, with only one possible superstar type.

Edited by ckhorn

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Or resign our own DE that had 12.5 sacks last season.

Yeah if the projections of Greenard’s next contract coming at the $16-$18MM range are realistic we’re better off extending him. Agree with your upstream post that Anderson needs a pocket collapser next to him more than opposite him….

Edited by Ignatius
  • Hook 'Em 1

My #1 target in free agency would a proven, stud DT. I would make Madubuike our big ticket free agent signing. He is the ideal profile of a DT in Demeco’s system and is only 26 years old. He’s from Texas so that could work in our favor if he wants to come back home.

Edited by Macklemore

22 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

A good DT very much compliments anderson 

Sure, just saying Caserio and the 49ers regime DeMeco came from having drafted smaller quicker interior OL recently, it's typically longer guys

23 hours ago, Macklemore said:

My #1 target in free agency would a proven, stud DT. I would make Madubuike our big ticket free agent signing. He is the ideal profile of a DT in Demeco’s system and is only 26 years old. He’s from Texas so that could work in our favor if he wants to come back home.

Yeah I'd be good with Marmaduke. He checks all the boxes, most importantly position flexibility. 

Regarding TE, I don't remember all the names, but they are at least 3-4 guys that could come in and Dalton Schultz type things. 

I wouldn't resign Greenard if they can get Chop Robinson on a 5 year rookie deal. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

hannah needs to get a group of investors and buy the Texans 

#queen

Hannah is so fucking awesome. Awesome wife too. Look how lovingly she looks at Cal while he is speaking. That’s what a man needs as a wife. 

• Hook 'Em 1