San Diego @ Texas Series Thread

Horny Bull

16 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I wish we had someone that was a more natural SS. Flores still looks like a 3B to me.

There was serious thought to moving him to 3B and getting a SS out of the portal, but we missed on our primary target (Baylor SS who ended up at Georgia) and then Powell said he was coming back so they decided to hold off.

We have several good SS committed in this upcoming class but it’s probably iffy if we get one to campus. Theo Gillen is one from Westlake and is a total stud who battled some injuries last year. He feels like a guy who might play himself into getting drafted though.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Was it just me or did USD seem legit? The Toreros lack in the bullpen but seem decent enough elsewhere.

Or am I way off?

They looked like a team who returned a lot and was picked to finish second in their conference. Probably a borderline regional team.

Learn more about yourself facing those teams than Manhattan or Texas Southern.

• Hook 'Em 4

51 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I like Flores at SS.   He made some good plays this weekend.   Never looked out of place.  I want the 2B replaced even if it means taking some lumps.  You can't win anything with a 2B whose range is width of a sidewalk and no bat.

Dude has the body and skill set of a beer league softball player.

Pierce also told media after the game that Witt is dealing with a medical issue that’s not allowing him to get full extension in his throwing motion. It’s been a long road back for Witt, and it appears the road has another twist or turn remaining.

From IT. In a weird way, that makes me feel better because it would be concerning if was just, "well, this is who he is right now and he is healthy".

Edited by Hookem2147

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

There was serious thought to moving him to 3B and getting a SS out of the portal, but we missed on our primary target (Baylor SS who ended up at Georgia) and then Powell said he was coming back so they decided to hold off.

We have several good SS committed in this upcoming class but it’s probably iffy if we get one to campus. Theo Gillen is one from Westlake and is a total stud who battled some injuries last year. He feels like a guy who might play himself into getting drafted though.

Gillen is a lock to make it to campus, I saw some of his video from last year from the SA Johnson playoff series. I was amazed at how unathletic he looked out there and how weak his arm was. 2nd base would suit him much better. Rainier & Luna are the 2 SS commits in that class that would be massive gets for us, but they’re also probably getting drafted so we’ll be stuck with Gillen.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Gillen is a lock to make it to campus, I saw some of his video from last year from the SA Johnson playoff series. I was amazed at how unathletic he looked out there and how weak his arm was. 2nd base would suit him much better. Rainier & Luna are the 2 SS commits in that class that would be massive gets for us, but they’re also probably getting drafted so we’ll be stuck with Gillen.

Levi Sterling is the other guy I’m thinking of. SS/RHP out of California but he is probably going to get drafted (maybe as a pitcher, is up to 94-95). I’m not holding my breath on Rainer either. Not sure about Luna but his profile doesn’t strike me as someone who would get drafted super high.

Interesting thoughts on Gillen. I know he has looked much better so far this year after being hampered by injuries. He was really, really good his sophomore year.

Edited by Hookem2147

24 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Welp. Cross him off. 

• Haha 5

Specific quote from Pierce on Witt

“He's still trying to work through so much,” said Pierce, who doesn’t know if Witt is dealing with a bone spur or something else that’s not allowing him to get full extension on his delivery. “We thought he was pretty far ahead about a week, 10 days ago. [He looked] really sharp and then had a little setback. In the bullpen, we felt like it was moving back in the right direction.

“Unfortunately, it didn’t work for Tanner.”

12 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Levi Sterling is the other guy I’m thinking of. SS/RHP out of California but he is probably going to get drafted (maybe as a pitcher, is up to 94-95). I’m not holding my breath on Rainer either. Not sure about Luna but his profile doesn’t strike me as someone who would get drafted super high.

Interesting thoughts on Gillen. I know he has looked much better so far this year after being hampered by injuries. He was really, really good his sophomore year.

I saw another high school prospect ranking recently that also had Gillen pretty high and said that if he did well this season he could possibly move up to a first day draft choice.  Rainer was way up there and Luna was in there too.