In and around Madrid, Spain...things to do?

Will be there for the next 18 days while my sons have soccer tryouts.  Since I am not allowed into the facilities with him, my days are open.  Besides the local sites, I'd like to travel around during the day.  I'll have a car...  Looking for day trip recommendations.  I am very fond of mountain scenery...  Surly help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Soccer Dudes Dad

20 minutes ago, Soccer Dudes Dad said:

Will be there for the next 18 days while my sons have soccer tryouts.  Since I am not allowed into the facilities with him, my days are open.  Besides the local sites, I'd like to travel around during the day.  I'll have a car...  Looking for day trip recommendations.  I am very fond of mountain scenery...  Surly help and advice is greatly appreciated.

find some bulls

Check the other Spain thread. There is tons of info there. Toledo is the closest nicest city, only an hour away. Mountains can be reached in an hour or so to the North and Northwest. If you have several hours, the nearest beach is around 4 hours. Also tons to do in Madrid, depending on your likes and preferences. 

50 minutes ago, Soccer Dudes Dad said:

Train out to Ávila

IMG_0962.thumb.jpeg.2a54e90ac91ce6bdf49264fd4b0b80cf.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, Soccer Dudes Dad said:

Is your son about to be an international sporting start millionaire ?

Do what a Spanish dad would do, ditch the kid, he'll be fine, hit on tourists, crash at your mistress' apartment after long begging argument to be allowed back in, repeat.

Also, Avila, Segovia, Salamanca, El Escorial. They are to the north and north west where your nearest mountain range is. You actually cross mountains to get to those three towns from Madrid.

Hell you could have fun for a couple of days just riding the subway around Madrid and popping up at various stations Plaza del Sol and Plaza Mayor for just lurking.

• Like 1

We visited Escorial and Segovia.  Both were great.  In Madrid, I recommend the Museo de las Americas.  It's basically all of the plundered antiquities of the new world.  And a very enlightening exhibit on race-mixing.  And shrunken heads

Edited by Lazarus Bocanegra
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Is your son about to be an international sporting start millionaire ?

LOL.  He is talented but I'm not sure about all that.  I just want college paid for.  Anything above that is gravy...

18 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Do what a Spanish dad would do, ditch the kid, he'll be fine, hit on tourists, crash at your mistress' apartment after long begging argument to be allowed back in, repeat.

Also, Avila, Segovia, Salamanca, El Escorial. They are to the north and north west where your nearest mountain range is. You actually cross mountains to get to those three towns from Madrid.

Hell you could have fun for a couple of days just riding the subway around Madrid and popping up at various stations Plaza del Sol and Plaza Mayor for just lurking.

great ideas!  Thx!!

• Drool 1

Posted (edited)

Go to La Barraca for paella

They gave me this butter dish so that I could remember the name of the place when I recommended them.

IMG_0177.thumb.jpeg.8514223187cba82938a0f409992fa644.jpeg

In Segovia, have the suckling pig. I believe we had it at Restaurante Jose Maria. One of the best meals I’ve ever had.

Go to Museo Reina Sofía in Madrid and see Picasso’s Guernica. There’s some other Spanish Civil War propaganda art in the same gallery that is amazing.

IMG_0178.jpeg.f24d015b7d71f79b95b817f62debab65.jpeg

image.jpeg.a649bdf8e379c49a8ee1a49d7a6fd6f3.jpeg

Edited by GenXer
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

Update.  Madrid and surrounding area was great.  Didnt get to venture out as much as I wanted because of the non-stop soccer itinerary.  But it was a blast.  Got to see Real Madrid vs Celta de Vigo and also Barcelona vs Atletico Madrid.
And yes, I am a shameless dad and posted a video of my son (IDGAF)...  Goal was first of four he scored vs Rayo Vallecano...

IMG_9008.JPG

IMG_9015.JPG

IMG_9023.JPG

IMG_9560.JPG

IMG_9576.JPG

IMG_9585.JPG

IMG_9621.JPG

IMG_9626.JPG

IMG_9808.JPG

IMG_9829.jpeg

IMG_9843.JPG

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Soccer Dudes Dad said:

Thanks.  I mentioned to him at breakfast, to play close attention to the goalies line.  I was flabbergasted that he actually listened to me and caught this one playing up too high...

I try really hard to let my kids manage and grow their out sports lives and just be supportive.  Of course I have ideas and attempt to encourage them to think about this or that in a very positive way.  It is so cool when the thing you have helped them with, or suggested, is directly tied to a goal, or good play.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Incredulity said:

I try really hard to let my kids manage and grow their out sports lives and just be supportive.  Of course I have ideas and attempt to encourage them to think about this or that in a very positive way.  It is so cool when the thing you have helped them with, or suggested, is directly tied to a goal, or good play.

It was really cool.  Especially considering that, because I never played soccer (just American sports), he tends to completely disregard anything I might say about soccer that is any way tactical...😒

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/18/2024 at 4:25 PM, Soccer Dudes Dad said:

Update.  Madrid and surrounding area was great.  Didnt get to venture out as much as I wanted because of the non-stop soccer itinerary.  But it was a blast.  Got to see Real Madrid vs Celta de Vigo and also Barcelona vs Atletico Madrid.
And yes, I am a shameless dad and posted a video of my son (IDGAF)...  Goal was first of four he scored vs Rayo Vallecano...

IMG_9008.JPG

IMG_9015.JPG

IMG_9023.JPG

IMG_9560.JPG

IMG_9576.JPG

IMG_9585.JPG

IMG_9621.JPG

IMG_9626.JPG

IMG_9808.JPG

IMG_9829.jpeg

IMG_9843.JPG

heading to Madrid May 7. can you tell me where/what these pics are? 

already got tickets to Prado Museum and definitely hitting up Botin Restaurant.

good job by your son!

On 4/21/2024 at 12:48 PM, tejas60 said:

heading to Madrid May 7. can you tell me where/what these pics are? 

already got tickets to Prado Museum and definitely hitting up Botin Restaurant.

good job by your son!

Pics 1, 2, and 3 are the cathedral of Segovia.
Pics 4, 5, and 6 are the Castle Manzanares el Real.
Pic 7 is Catherdral of Segovia.
Pic 8 is Castle Manzanares.
Pic 9 is a dish called Iberico Secreto at La Mi Venta restaurant in Madrid.
Pics 10 and 11 are wide city views close to the Cathedral of Madrid.

If you go to Segovia, it's definitely amazing but make sure to drive to Castle de Manzanares.   Old castle, semi restored, beautiful museum and amazing views from the turrets...  https://www.spain.info/en/places-of-interest/manzanares-el-real-castle/

The drive to La Sierra de Guadarrama National Park.  Mountain views, probably still snow at the summit, and widlife...  https://www.spain.info/en/nature/sierra-guadarrama-national-park/

Also, after leaving the park, and on the way to Segovia, visit the Royal Palace of La Granja of San Ildefonso.  Its a beautiful palace and chapel with some amazingly landscaped grounds...and the small city has many shops and restaurants on cobblestone streets...  https://www.spain.info/en/places-of-interest/royal-palace-granja-san-ildefonso/

Segovia speaks for itself.  https://www.spain.info/en/destination/segovia/

This could be done in a day, but it would be a looong day.  I suggest at least two-three days.  All of this is within an hour and a half, by car, from Madrid.

HAVE FUN and post pics of the trip...

• Hook 'Em 2