2024 MLB Season Thread - Catch All

tx 3 putt

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Juan Roshington calls for a suicide squeeze with the bases loaded:

That only works if guys know how to bunt.

and everybody knows nobody has known how to bunt since Washington played

but that didn’t stop him from throwing Guillorme under the bus:

“Lefty on lefty, and with a sinkerballer on a left-hander, I didn’t want him to hit into a double play," Washington said. "He can handle the bat. He didn’t do the job. It wasn’t anything I did wrong. He didn’t do the job.”

When asked by a reporter if Romero's wildness made the call tougher to execute, Washington disputed that and once again blamed Guillorme.

“Wild? He was throwing it in the strike zone,” Washington said. “Why are you making excuses? He was throwing the ball in the strike zone. [Guillorme] did not get the bunt down. Period.”

The point by the reporter wasn't inaccurate. Romero had walked two batters — including one on a pitch-clock violation — to load the bases before Guillorme came to the plate. Of Romero's 27 pitches before Guillorme's bunt attempt, only 12 were strikes.

46 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

When asked by a reporter if Romero's wildness made the call tougher to execute, Washington disputed that and once again blamed Guillorme.

“Wild? He was throwing it in the strike zone,” Washington said. “Why are you making excuses? He was throwing the ball in the strike zone. [Guillorme] did not get the bunt down. Period.”

That pitch wasn't even in Angel Hernandez's strike zone:

image.png.82b31d030d041b68e224148879d6ec66.png

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, dcar00 said:

speaking of old.  still one of the more amazing things I've seen on a baseball field. 75 years old, wood bat, real park.

No batting gloves

No helmet

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, WBT said:

Elly 3 for 3 with 4 steals and 3 runs scored tonight.  Just caught trying for steal #5 against a lefty.

Long way to go but he is close to being on pace for Ricky's modern day record of 130

i say this as a cubs fan, but it would be so badass to see the reds actually get good so that we could see elly stay in a small market (and in that particular ballpark) for the next decade. the inevitably of him becoming a yankee or a dodger (maybe a padre or a red sock if he’s feeling crazy) is one of the worst parts of modern baseball. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, definitely not derka said:

i say this as a cubs fan, but it would be so badass to see the reds actually get good so that we could see elly stay in a small market (and in that particular ballpark) for the next decade. the inevitably of him becoming a yankee or a dodger (maybe a padre or a red sock if he’s feeling crazy) is one of the worst parts of modern baseball. 

Watching Mason Miller pitch 3 nights ago, I texted my sons, ‘ He’ll probably be a Yankee before July. ‘

Edited by Iceman

That is never going to be scored that way in the 3rd inning with the team that is winning doing the stealing.  

Late game, losing team down by more than 1 run is pretty much the only time you will see it scored that way.....I am sure there are some very rare one offs at some point in history 

54 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Gerald Young

Luis Gonzalez (Probably doesn't count.... he was a good / solid player. I'm doing him a disservice.)

then it has to be James Mouton.

I loved going "Mooooooo" when he came up to the plate.

But nothing beats 14 year old DNAkid's 1998 summer when I got to watch every single game of a kick ass team. Every single inning. And then they got Randy f'n Johnson. I was in heaven.

Then Kevin Brown drowned my dreams in a bathtub.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Luis Gonzalez (Probably doesn't count.... he was a good / solid player. I'm doing him a disservice.)

then it has to be James Mouton.

I loved going "Mooooooo" when he came up to the plate.

But nothing beats 14 year old DNAkid's 1998 summer when I got to watch every single game of a kick ass team. Every single inning. And then they got Randy f'n Johnson. I was in heaven.

Then Kevin Brown drowned my dreams in a bathtub.

From my outfield nosebleed rainbow seats, I just KNEW we were going to pull out game 1 when Spiers hit a leadoff double against Hoffman in the 9th with the middle of the order coming up.

alas…

• Rage+1 1

58 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Lolwut? He was fucking garbage until he did roids out of his mind that one season. He wasnt even mediocre overall, he was just bad.

Posted (edited)

He won’t get there because of pitch count restrictions but I’ll go ahead and call Kerry Wood watch in Wrigley…

and Jim Deshaies watch as I’m listening to him call this game.

Edited by UTexasFight
Sigh: I guess Pablo Lopez watch now

I miss EsTyne:

Major League Baseball has tabbed seven-time All-Star Nelson Cruz to fill the new role of special adviser for baseball operations.

His job will include serving as a liaison between the organization and players in Latin American nations, including his native Dominican Republic.

ADVERTISING

"Nelson Cruz is a respected voice in the game whose outstanding service to young people and those in need in the Dominican Republic earned him the Roberto Clemente Award," MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said in a news release Friday. "Nelson is passionate about growing the game and improving issues for players and our sport as a whole. He will be a resource to many people across our game, especially in the Dominican Republic."

Cruz played 19 seasons in the majors for eight different franchises. With the Texas Rangers, he was MVP of the American League Championship Series in 2011.

In 2,055 career games, he had a .274 batting average with 464 home runs and 1,325 RBIs. He played his final game with the San Diego Padres on July 3, 2023, at age 43.

"I'm extremely happy to join Major League Baseball. Since I signed out of the Dominican Republic as a teenager, I've cared deeply about the issues affecting that country, and the game as a whole," Cruz said. "I'm excited to work with the commissioner's office and the opportunity to work with young players by sharing what I have learned since I signed in 1998."

Cruz was the general manager of the Dominican Republic team in the 2023 World Baseball Classic.

Dodgers-Reds in a good one at Dodger Stadium.  Angeleno Hunter Greene threw a good game and was just pulled with 1 out in the 7th and a runner on 2nd.  The Reds scored in the top of the 7th to tie it 2-2 but stranded the bases loaded when Elly struck out and Mike Ford popped up.

If you had the Phils and Yanks as having the best records in each league right now you might want to head straight to Vegas and bet the farm on whatever you want to. The Phillies seem to have more staying power out of the two I think mainly because you cannot trust Stanton nor Judge to stay healthy for the entire season. 

24 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

If you had the Phils and Yanks as having the best records in each league right now you might want to head straight to Vegas and bet the farm on whatever you want to. The Phillies seem to have more staying power out of the two I think mainly because you cannot trust Stanton nor Judge to stay healthy for the entire season. 

What? The Phillies are an entire 1-2 against teams with a record over .500 this year. They’ve played no one. The Yankees are 15-7 against teams over .500

And have two major cogs that have injury histories. If Soto was to leave this lineup for any appreciable amount of time they would be in a world of hurt as he is the player most responsible for the Yanks returning to being good again. Perhaps you are intentionally glossing over the potential injury issues that can come up for the Yanks with Judge and Stanton.

Beating up on bad teams is how you build winning records so mission accomplished from the Phillies so far. 

• Drool 1