Air Force @ Texas Midweek Series

Horny Bull

The thing with Dee is he has a ton of potential and could be a good player for us later in the year but the only way that can happen is if he gets plenty of reps. We know what O’Dowd brings to the table. Pedestrian defense and a very hot or cold bat. I mean at times it’s not even game to game but rather AB to AB. He could pull a double down the line and next AB look completely lost against the same pitcher. 

Baseball players for over a century have run hot and cold. Even the very best. My point is that it does not have to be all or nothing. You don’t want Jack hitting.200, but you don’t want Kennedy hitting like Flores last year either. If you keep them both engaged, then you have an opportunity for them both to be productive. And we’re not playing for next year so you’re advocating dropping a guy that’s produced to a reasonable level for a full season and some in the postseason for what you hope might happen with a guy that’s never done it.

Like him or not Pierce has a baseline understanding of what a capable hitter looks like. We don’t have guys playing that don’t meet a certain minimum.
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

good win.  time to skin some bears this weekend.

I thought they were skinning cats and doing rapes?  Dammit, why aren't I kept informed of these logistical changes?!?!?

1 hour ago, B00M said:

That’s pretty unfair but this is surly so I get it. DK may have potential but he may be a head case and you definitely don’t want to let him get super down on himself. A mix of him and O’D is probably for the best. 

What unfair about it? Hes an upper classman with a career OPS of 750 and has never hit 300. He also is extremely limited with his range at 2nd.

Dee is young and talented. The performance difference between the two is marginal at best and one will continue getting better. 

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Baseball players for over a century have run hot and cold. Even the very best. My point is that it does not have to be all or nothing. You don’t want Jack hitting.200, but you don’t want Kennedy hitting like Flores last year either. If you keep them both engaged, then you have an opportunity for them both to be productive. And we’re not playing for next year so you’re advocating dropping a guy that’s produced to a reasonable level for a full season and some in the postseason for what you hope might happen with a guy that’s never done it.

Like him or not Pierce has a baseline understanding of what a capable hitter looks like. We don’t have guys playing that don’t meet a certain minimum.

We have very different definitions of produced at a reasonable level.

5 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I’m definitely more of an O’Dowd. Extremely limited in all aspects.

I’m more of a Kody Clemens. Just needed the at bats. If coach would’ve just put me in….

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Ultimately going to agree to disagree here. Like Hobbes has already said, reasonable level isn’t what I’d describe O’Dowd as. Heck, I hope your last little paragraph isn’t true because O’Dowd would more than likely not fit Pierce’s definition of a capable hitter. I’m looking at O’Dowd holistically and not what he’s done against poor pitching the last couple of weekends. Again he’s had some nice, timely AB’s but then he’s also looked like a complete buffoon at the plate. Guessing will only get you so far and it never adds up to consistency. I’m not necessarily saying we have to drop him for the rest of season. I just would like to see a young kid with potential get a handful of games in a row against a soft part of the schedule to see what he’s got. Already we’ve seen Dee gives us more range, albeit with some freshmen wtf moments but that’s to expected and with more reps we could see that issue fade. At the plate it’s still up in the air imo. Dee has shown competitiveness at the plate and maybe that translates into more hits. I’d like to find out. If not then you know exactly what O’Dowd brings and Pierce can roll with the engagement/rotating between the two. 

Edited by Levi

Ultimately going to agree to disagree here. Like Hobbes has already said, reasonable level isn’t what I’d describe O’Dowd as. Heck, I hope your last little paragraph isn’t true because O’Dowd would more than likely not fit Pierce’s definition of a capable hitter. I’m looking at O’Dowd holistically and not what he’s done against poor pitching the last couple of weekends. Again he’s had some nice, timely AB’s but then he’s also looked like a complete buffoon at the plate. Guessing will only get you so far and it never adds up to consistency. I’m not necessarily saying we have to drop him for the rest of season. I just would like to see a young kid with potential get a handful of games in a row against a soft part of the schedule to see what he’s got. Already we’ve seen Dee gives us more range, albeit with some freshmen wtf moments but that’s to expected and with more reps we could see that issue fade. At the plate it’s still up in the air imo. Dee has shown competitiveness at the plate and maybe that translates into more hits. I’d like to find out. If not then you know exactly what O’Dowd brings and Pierce can roll with the engagement/rotating between the two. 

Define reasonable. Baseball is a numbers game so it shouldn’t be difficult.

A bit of randomness so I looked up 2021 Vandy. The top 8 Vandy hitters in terms of ABs from that season. Jacks 2023 season would have ranked 4th in average, 5th in slugging. Same for Mississippi State that year. 2021 Texas puts him 5th and 4th. All 3 teams were quite good.

Perfect Game had Jack O as the 96th ranked player. Vandy brought him on. He’s got a good swing so it shouldn’t be a surprise that DP has hopes for him. He certainly needs to be more disciplined but DP also values pop so aggression may be rewarded.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

A bit of randomness so I looked up 2021 Vandy. The top 8 Vandy hitters in terms of ABs from that season. Jacks 2023 season would have ranked 4th in average, 5th in slugging. Same for Mississippi State that year. 2021 Texas puts him 5th and 4th. All 3 teams were quite good.

Perfect Game had Jack O as the 96th ranked player. Vandy brought him on. He’s got a good swing so it shouldn’t be a surprise that DP has hopes for him. He certainly needs to be more disciplined but DP also values pop so aggression may be rewarded.

He guesses more than a Senior should at this level which leads to his lack of discipline. He isn’t an everyday player but I agree with you that him and Kennedy should probably be platooning. 

Edited by chase25

4 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

. He’s got a good swing 

Yeah gonna go ahead and disagree there. He’s got a good swing for Adam Dunn. He needs to flatten that shit out and go down and through the ball.

Yeah gonna go ahead and disagree there. He’s got a good swing for Adam Dunn. He needs to flatten that shit out and go down and through the ball.

I’m speaking more in the sense of natural and fluid that lefties often have. To go along with the launch angle. Until DP tells me personally I believe he values the extra power. I’d say his swing is better than his discipline and approach at this point. But I’ll save my arguing for other points.

DP had O’D batting cleanup to start the season so that was either some recent DK-type wishful thinking or the’dude was actually raking this off season. Slumps do happen. I haven’t watched every game but I’ve seen O’D hit multiple line outs. 

He guesses more than a Senior should at this level which leads to his lack of discipline. He isn’t an everyday player but I agree with you that him and Kennedy should probably be platooning. 

He needs to lock in better no doubt. He did start a bit slow last year too. Not that they are the same caliber player but guys like Antico and Campbell got off to poor starts too.

Ultimately, just win. Whatever that takes. If we’re relying on a bottom of the order guy to do that, we’re in trouble.

25 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

He has horrible discipline at the plate, which you don’t need a stat to see. Theres a  difference between being aggressive and having horrible plate discipline. But I’ll use stats from last season and I won’t bother to compare it to the ‘21 season when he was a true freshman. Last year he hit .222 in conference play with 12 RBI’s and an OPS of .622. Overall he had an avg of .284 with 37 RBI’s and an OPS  .794. That means the majority of his damage came against non-conference opponents, which were very meh outside of the very beginning, and the postseason. He didn’t do nothing in Arlington, but did pretty good in the postseason. If you want to hang your hat on five postseason  games at the end of the season, then go ahead. Hell Daly had one of his best stretches in those five games as well. But right now I’m looking at a guy with a .209 avg with 11 RBI’s and an OPS of .655. 

My whole deal with Kennedy is that I believe he should get more run to see if there’s a sizable difference between him and Jack. Coming in later in the ball game isn’t going to do that. If he proves that there isn’t much difference at all, then platoon them with method of whoever’s hot.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, B00M said:

DP had O’D batting cleanup to start the season so that was either some recent DK-type wishful thinking or the’dude was actually raking this off season. Slumps do happen. I haven’t watched every game but I’ve seen O’D hit multiple line outs. 

I could see O’Dowd raking in batting practice with meatballs belt high. Problem is, he can’t hit anything else. Which sucks for us. And America. 

Edited by Fletch
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I thought they were skinning cats and doing rapes?  Dammit, why aren't I kept informed of these logistical changes?!?!?

It's payback time for QuesoGate.  Besides, a bear skin rug might look good in the clubhouse.  

19 hours ago, Horn80 said:

AF uniforms got retro look.  Nice

Those are their C17 uniforms that they first had out in '22. On the backs are the bases where the 17's are....(Little Rock, Pope, Travis, McChord, forget the others) 

The hats that go with them are really sweet. I wish Fanatics would sell them as I would get one for sure. Has the old WW2 USAF logo on the back. During our regional that year, I thought I had talked a young female LT that was wearing one into a trade for my UT hat, but her boyfriend that was a player had given it to her.

I got these pics with two of the players wearing the McChord ( my last asignment) jerseys 2 years ago after the April series. Kid on the left was their center fielder (SR) and from Flower Mound while the other is Sam Kulasingham (sp?) who played first that year but is now the AF 3rd baseman and DH. 

image.jpeg.f77885d4b434cd79bd82324e2c82e4d1.jpegimage.jpeg.1973325c4d1d949b0ab51755d4e0eb38.jpeg

17 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

It’s wild how many guys they still have from that 2022 regional team

Yeah, that's what happens when you go to school for 4 years vs. 2 or 3...

• Hook 'Em 4

15 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Those are their C17 uniforms that they first had out in '22. On the backs are the bases where the 17's are....(Little Rock, Pope, Travis, McChord, forget the others) 

The hats that go with them are really sweet. I wish Fanatics would sell them as I would get one for sure. Has the old WW2 USAF logo on the back. During our regional that year, I thought I had talked a young female LT that was wearing one into a trade for my UT hat, but her boyfriend that was a player had given it to her.

I got these pics with two of the players wearing the McChord ( my last asignment) jerseys 2 years ago after the April series. Kid on the left was their center fielder (SR) and from Flower Mound while the other is Sam Kulasingham (sp?) who played first that year but is now the AF 3rd baseman and DH. 

image.jpeg.f77885d4b434cd79bd82324e2c82e4d1.jpegimage.jpeg.1973325c4d1d949b0ab51755d4e0eb38.jpeg

Was up by McChord once and everywhere I went in area, no matter how far, Mt Rainer was beautifully looming.

23 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

I’ll take any excuse to post this fella stopped short behind us at HNL in August. 

IMG_9027.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Was up by McChord once and everywhere I went in area, no matter how far, Mt Rainer was beautifully looming.

A little over 50 miles away from Tacoma, but when you get to see it on clear days, it seems much closer than that. Miss that view.