Texas Basketball 2024-25

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

This is his scouting report on 247.

"He’s most effective when he’s able to operate in space, whether that be in the open floor or attacking a close-out. He’s a dangerous shooter off the dribble and while he can make tough threes, his favorite spots are in the mid-range area. He can pull-up over top of contesting defenders, step-back to create some space, and even bring smaller defenders into the mid-post and operate with his back to the basket."

Sounds like Michael Jordan to me

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

This is his scouting report on 247.

"He’s most effective when he’s able to operate in space, whether that be in the open floor or attacking a close-out. He’s a dangerous shooter off the dribble and while he can make tough threes, his favorite spots are in the mid-range area. He can pull-up over top of contesting defenders, step-back to create some space, and even bring smaller defenders into the mid-post and operate with his back to the basket."

5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Sounds like Michael Jordan to me

Or Kobe.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

That Trilly Donovan twitter account is claiming in his discord channel that Dillon Mitchell is portal bound

This wouldn't be surprising. 

Same thing with Hunter. Both these guys seem like they want to be the guy but they just don't have the offensive skillset to be that. 

image.png.4d7a16f07ca365b66ad43b08096db015.png

I knew it was bad but here's Mitchell's shooting chart.  Not shocked he's portalling and wish him the best but definitely for the best we both move on from this situation. I know he'll test the draft but I wonder if he goes somewhere he can have a bigger role on offense or if he sticks to a school with real expectations.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

3 and D. I don’t even care if he ever shoots from mid range. 

That is why he is the player he is today. 

He needs to shoot 10,000 15fters. It is an unblockable shot with his athleticism. Shooting 3s all summer is a fools errand. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i haven’t followed recruiting super closely in forever. who is a good tre johnson comp? keyontae george? rob dillingham? someone else?

Jordan Hawkins of last year's UConn team.  Super compact game (ie doesn't need a lot of dribbles to get off a short), highly efficient scorer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

we need at least 3 starters to change this team's trajectory.  Adding role players will have us fighting to just make the tournament again.
At least the conference change should provide a few more easy wins.
I've got a year of eligibility left, I can play the 4 position, 6'5", 284lbs.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry saying he doesn’t expect Hunter or Mitchell back

Doesn't surprise me.  Both players need a reboot and better development.  Playing for a different staff might help both of them.  

• Like 1

Mitchell and Hunter portalling is the best for all parties involved. I don't think giving them diminished roles would have worked. Time for RT to earn his paycheck and find some gems in the portal.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Doesn't surprise me.  Both players need a reboot and better development.  Playing for a different staff might help both of them.  

Playing for a different staff isn't going to help a guy like Mitchell learn how to dribble and shoot from beyond 2 feet. Some of this is just raw talent. A guy like Shaq can spend all the time in the world working on free throws but that isn't going to magically give him the ability to shoot. 

Hunter and Mitchell are role players on elite 8/final 4 caliber teams as we saw last year. 

12 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

College football/basketball used to seem to me to be a better job than pro’s because of recruiting and development. The current 24-7-365 environment of portal and NIL would absolutely kill my enjoyment as a coach. 

another big thing is that kids want someone to look up to, they want someone to teach them. that’s why augie never left college ball, he wanted to help teach, coach, and mold young men and improve their lives. kids these days aren’t even interested in listening to an adult, whether it’s a parent, teacher, coach, whatever. they have the internet, and they know everything. the buy-in from college athletes (and HS athletes as well) is not what it used to be.

also kids these days are just weird as fuck, they’ve all been exposed to so much at such a young age that every kid now has special needs that have to be catered to 24/7. i’ve always loved coaching kids, but if i were a college coach today i think id rather just work with adults. i’m not trying to deal with all of this:

Posted (edited)

This is going to be a complete roster rebuild; even for the portal era. That’s saying something. 

Weaver and Shedrick represent the only returning production. 

Frankly, I’ll be shocked if Texas has a better season in 24-25 than 23-24. 

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Rage+1 1

14 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

This is going to be a complete roster rebuild; even for the portal era. That’s saying something. 

Weaver and Shedrick represent the only returning production. 

Frankly, I’ll be shocked if Texas has a better season in 24-25 than 23-24. 

We got zero production from high school recruits this year. We have a probable top 10 pick and a top 30-40 pick coming in. Fill in the gaps in the portal. 

I completely disagree that "kids these days aren’t even interested in listening to an adult", broad brush.  Maybe elite D1 athletes, I have no experience there, but I helped teach HS kids both in band and soccer and felt like they were for the most part engaged and willing to learn.

It's the oldest old man perspective in the book . . . "kids these days".  Eh.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I completely disagree that "kids these days aren’t even interested in listening to an adult", broad brush.  Maybe elite D1 athletes, I have no experience there, but I helped teach HS kids both in band and soccer and felt like they were for the most part engaged and willing to learn.

i understand that reaction, but it really is different these days in a level that it’s never approached before. i’m defintely not saying this about just your typical youth athlete, but in particular these college basketball recruits and young players. they’re growing up in this era:

we thought aau made kids hard to coach. these young hoopers these days are being showcased and propped up from such a young age that it has become increasingly important to vet their character and coach-ability. youth basketball in america is seriously fucked on a level that we haven’t seen before.

• Hook 'Em 2

I enjoy the portal and kids having the ability to move on from smaller schools and get recruited by the big d-1 schools that overlooked them coming out of high school. Some of these kids want to prove they can make it on a bigger stage so I enjoy the ones moving on from the mid majors up to schools like Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

College football/basketball used to seem to me to be a better job than pro’s because of recruiting and development. The current 24-7-365 environment of portal and NIL would absolutely kill my enjoyment as a coach. 

This is the same lamentation that coaches and ex-coaches make on XM84 all day long.  It’s tiring. Don’t like the role now? Feel free to step out of line and watch 100 more show up and try to replace you. That game done changed, get over it or the get the fuck out.

What amazes me is why anyone cheering for and/or supporting Texas would look at this era in any sport as a negative. Texas is one of the biggest net-gainers from portal + NIL times.

Now, we have a tiny clown in baseball rendering advantages things moot currently and we may potentially have a normal sized clown in basketball doing the same, not sure yet, but that’s on coaching, not the era. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

And then the example of how terrible "kids these days" are was a guy likes pink. OH NOES!!!!!

• Haha 1

Texas should definitely be the 800 pound gorilla in this era of college sports, regardless of the sport.

The last 3 years have definitely favored experienced teams, with all of the 5 and 6 year players enabled through Covid.  But with the extra Covid year now over, I think the young talent will go up in value.  And it is good timing because we are reloading with some top-tier young talent.

Regarding Mitchell, if he leaves it will be to a top team like Kansas - and then we are all going to watch with dismay when he is a huge contributor.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

Regarding Mitchell, if he leaves it will be to a top team like Kansas - and then we are all going to watch with dismay when he is a huge contributor.

He averaged about 10 points and 8 boards in 29 minutes a game this year 

IMO he was already a solid contributor 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Yeah I get the sense that Gerry isn't as tapped into the ongoings of Texas basketball as was in the past. 

Would still trust him more than any other basketball reporter in the Texas market 

5 hours ago, HookEm said:

I will be shocked if any top team wants Mitchell or Hunter as anything more than a role player. You aren't winning anything significant if those guys are one of your top 3 or 4 players. 

My bet is Mitchell will pick a fringe tournament team where they let him attempt to be the guy. 

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I will be shocked if any top team wants Mitchell or Hunter as anything more than a role player. You aren't winning anything significant if those guys are one of your top 3 or 4 players. 

My bet is Mitchell will pick a fringe tournament team where they let him attempt to be the guy. 

i’m sure they each could get 35 mpg at ole miss. if only ole miss could afford them lol.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i’m sure they each could get 35 mpg at ole miss. if only ole miss could afford them lol.

But I think this is the type school that can afford them and give them the role they want. 

The issue for a school like Texas is they don't want to spend money on a guy that can't dribble or shoot. @closetojumpingseems to indicate above that Texas has zero NIL allocated to Hunter or Mitchell which doesn't surprise me. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

Posted (edited)

We need an African connection or a French one. Austin Texas has got to be more attractive than France or some third world s hole. We need a young soccer player with above average footwork skills, and at least 6’10

Edited by TejasPedro

7 minutes ago, TejasPedro said:

We need an African connection or a French one. Austin Texas has got to be more attractive than France or some third world s hole. We need a young soccer player with above average footwork skills, and at least 6’10

for this we need tommy lloyd or mark few.

3 hours ago, HookEm said:

To say nothing of his defense, which was really solid.  He has the athleticism and length to guard anywhere from small forward to center. 

Mitchell can't guard the 5. He gets bullied in the paint by anyone with size. 

But I do think he's a pretty good defender at the 3 or 4. 

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Yeah I get the sense that Gerry isn't as tapped into the ongoings of Texas basketball as was in the past. 

Both Hunter and Mitchell indicated that they were going to portal last year, even though Texas wanted them back. Their people put out feelers at other places and regarding the NBA. Both decided Texas, and the NIL with it, were worth it. So Texas, and therefore Gerry, thought they were gone. 

Last year isn’t this year in regard to how choices are being made. 

Also, Gerry talks and texts with key members on the staff whenever he wants. They’re probably not super pumped about the “embarrassing” comments right now, but there isn’t anyone better connected to the program while Ogden and Terry are around than Gerry. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Would still trust him more than any other basketball reporter in the Texas market 

I don't think Gerry was all that wrong about Mitchell or Hunter last year anyway. 

All he said is both were likely going pro because that's what they were telling everyone. Things changed because NBA teams laughed at the idea of them going pro. 

I think Mitchell is a pretty good case study with the portal, continuity, culture, etc. 

While Mitchell did improve this year we would have been a much better team if we added Kaluma instead of him. IMO that was the biggest mistake Texas made in the offseason. I'm just not a firm believer in the "culture" and "continuity" arguments in today's college environment. If you think there's an upgrade out there in the portal you should go get them. 

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

a 34.5% 3 point shooter and a 75% FT shooter? 

He's a substantially better offensive player than Mitchell and that was with a very flawed roster after Tomlin was suspended at K-State. 

We would have been pretty damn good with Kaluma IMO. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Speaking of a player I wish we had on this past season's team, Jaylon Tyson might have fucked around and played himself into a first round pick out at Cal. Players like him are why it's at times ok to be patient with a players growth curve. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn