Texas A&M-CC @ Texas - 6:30 on LHN

Horny Bull

16 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Blake Munroe 

Hide contents

Spoke with a couple of folks this morning after the Horns 4-1 loss to TAMU-CC. 

First, the bad news has now been made public but RHP Tanner Witt is out. How long? They aren’t sure yet. Witt hasn’t pitched in a few weeks and I’m told that they’re trying to figure out what the issue is (medically) exactly. That has yet to be determined from what I hear. 

Last week I reported that the staff felt really good about Ace Whitehead. You saw that come to fruition Saturday when he pitched a complete game, all 117 pitches, against Baylor to help the Horns secure the win. I’ve been told that only boosted the confidence he has in himself and that the staff and team have in him. Expect Ace to continue to have that role going forward. His emergence is huge.

Texas fans are down and out after last night, and rightfully so, but the Horns are only 1 game behind first place in the Big 12 right now. No. 23 ranked Kansas State is in sole possession of first and that’s who the Longhorns take on this weekend. 

I was told that’s what the sights are set on right now, winning the conference. A series win this weekend will be a big step in that direction. 

If they have no idea what the problem is with Witt, there's no way he pitches again this season. It's almost April, and I'd imagine he'll need some sort of a clean-up procedure.

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

If they have no idea what the problem is with Witt, there's no way he pitches again this season. It's almost April, and I'd imagine he'll need some sort of a clean-up procedure.

His problem is he aint wasting no more of what is left of his arm for this team. 

/s

maybe

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

@HenryJames can you tell me what % of our NIL Witt ate up to not pitch? And who we passed on to get him back.

That’s terrible for him. He seems as orange blooded as any player we got which makes it a bit more disappointing.

I'm interested in hearing details from HJ on this one. 

1 hour ago, MuellerHorn said:

Yeah, even if he tries to come back this season we can’t expect his innings to come in anything but blowouts. He will not meaningfully contribute. 

Frankly it doesn’t matter because pitching simply isn’t why we suck right now. 

5 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

Buncha 956 cholos just out hit and out scored us.
We were selina they was yolanda.

Coach gus and augie rollin over in they grave. TRASH!!- bubba dub

*361. Corpus is not the RGV. Also, a quick look at their roster, and they only have 2 players on their entire roster from south of San Antonio. Tons of out of state dudes. Maybe Pierce should schedule UTRGV more often rather than TAMUCC, maybe he'll assemble a bullpen that can strike out some 956ers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

image.png.4c520167d29a6e4c470ae24186260270.png

What are the parameters for your expectations of Texas baseball?

I’m trying to figure it out just so I can see if the pitch fork mob even has a competent plan for what’s next.

2 minutes ago, chase25 said:

What are the parameters for your expectations of Texas baseball?

I’m trying to figure it out just so I can see if the pitch fork mob even has a competent plan for what’s next.

I don't understand this question. Can you de-corporatize yourself for a second and put something in plain English that you'd like answered? 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't understand this question. Can you de-corporatize yourself for a second and put something in plain English that you'd like answered? 

It’s pretty straight forward, but you didn’t even know where Bakich had coached when you threw out his name as the savior of Texas baseball. So maybe I am expecting a little too much

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, chase25 said:

It’s pretty straight forward, but you didn’t even know where Bakich had coached when you threw out his name as the savior of Texas baseball. So maybe I am expecting a little too much

If you're going to make shit up as a rhetorical tactic in a discussion with me, it's not going to go well and I will enjoy the following experience. So why don't you verify that you aren't a lying sack of human shit and show me that post where I didn't know where Bakich coached?

Posted (edited)
On 3/24/2024 at 4:50 PM, closetojumping said:

1) There is no reason to believe that Texas wouldn’t pay what it takes to get Bakich. Clemson isn’t awash in cash. 

2) Michigan isn’t on the east coast. What in the fuck are you talking about?

3) I take it you know jack shit about Wake Forest historically as a program. You’ve referenced what Walter has done there as a straight line comparison to Texas, which is a laughable argument that has to be derived out of ignorance. 

4) Vitello is a terrible choice. That’s actually a guy that looks like an eventual flameout as his teams continue to fail to get the title. 

You chose to get butt hurt over the geographical location of Michigan to try and be an asshole when it was a quick summarization of every coaching stop to save everyone the geography lecture.

You like to belittle people. It’s okay.

#3 and #4 in that post sitting right next each other is also pretty amusing because it shows how little you know about college baseball. 

Edited by chase25
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, chase25 said:

You chose to get butt hurt over the geographical location of Michigan to try and be an asshole when it was a quick summarization of every coaching stop to save everyone the geography lecture.

You like to belittle people. It’s okay.

#3 and #4 in that post sitting right next each other is also pretty amusing because it shows how little you know about college baseball

Okay, so you were flatly wrong on some idiotic take initially. I called you on it, since it was idiotic. Now you just attempted, because we're in a different thread and you think you're in some sort of safe space, to spin that weak shit into me being ignorant of where a coach coached that I brought up first? That's yellow, dishonest, spineless shit and also laughable. So negged again now that that is confirmed.

Beyond that, I don't enjoy belittling people. I don't really care what you think about it either way. I will admit to not suffering fools or liars well, and you appear to be both, so you've made yourself worthy of forward derision from me every chance I get, whether you approve or not.

As to dick measuring about baseball knowledge, you are simply guilty of the same old trope of other baseball board denizens that because you post on Texas baseball more, you therefore believe that somehow magically identifies you as more knowledgeable. If that thinking gives you some sort of low-info poster comfort, I'm not here to take it from you. 

Posted (edited)

It's nice to finally see a few folks start to voice their concerns about Pierce. I've been on that island for awhile now. I get it, though. He's done just well enough so that if you squint and rationalize, you can convince yourself that he's the right coach for Texas. I've done my share of squinting over the years, even staying on the Charlie Strong "let's wait and see" bandwagon too long.  That "let's wait and see" approach can sustain you for 2-3 seasons. I freely admit that based upon the world series appearances it seems like I'm jumping the gun on Pierce. But, I've seen enough little things over the last several years to believe Texas could do better. I also don't believe a mid-season firing is warranted, obviously.  Giving him next year as well seems appropriate, on paper.  But if you're CDC, you have to have received enough information about his coaching to make a call after this year if you do believe he's the wrong guy.

Edited by Dbeasy
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Okay, so you were flatly wrong on some idiotic take initially. I called you on it, since it was idiotic. Now you just attempted, because we're in a different thread and you think you're in some sort of safe space, to spin that weak shit into me being ignorant of where a coach coached that I brought up first? That's yellow, dishonest, spineless shit and also laughable. So negged again now that that is confirmed.

Beyond that, I don't enjoy belittling people. I don't really care what you think about it either way. I will admit to not suffering fools or liars well, and you appear to be both, so you've made yourself worthy of forward derision from me every chance I get, whether you approve or not.

As to dick measuring about baseball knowledge, you are simply guilty of the same old trope of other baseball board denizens that because you post on Texas baseball more, you therefore believe that somehow magically identifies you as more knowledgeable. If that thinking gives you some sort of low-info poster comfort, I'm not here to take it from you. 

Now you are lying, at no point did I say I know more about college baseball than you because I post more than you and you won’t find a single post stating that.

You did that for me with your assessment of Walters and Vitello

You sit here and negg people on a message board like a child.

1 minute ago, chase25 said:

Now you are lying, at no point did I say I know more about college baseball than you because I post more than you and you won’t find a single post stating that.

You did that for me with your assessment of Walters and Vitello

No, I didn't lie. I used simple context clues and made an inference. Again, you're using another weak rhetorical tactic in a futile attempt to equivocate about displayed behaviors. 

As to negging, it's the currency we have here and my exchange with you in which you straight up made shit up was worth more to me than just a tedious dialogue. Cry about it. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

No, I didn't lie. I used simple context clues and made an inference. Again, you're using another weak rhetorical tactic in a futile attempt to equivocate about displayed behaviors. 

As to negging, it's the currency we have here and my exchange with you in which you straight up made shit up was worth more to me than just a tedious dialogue. Cry about it. 

So you lied. I used simple context clues and made an inference about your post about Bakich coaching on the east coast. 

You are a child. I’m not going to continue to go multiple rounds over this on a Wednesday because there are much more important things in life. Save us both the time.

You can want David Pierce fired, that’s fine, I have no loyalty to David Pierce other than the fact he is the current head man of Texas baseball. All I’ll say is if you are going to fire someone who has made it to Omaha 3/6 full seasons and won his conference 3/6 seasons, the plan better be a hell of a lot better than money whipping Erik Bakich and Tom Walters.

Edited by chase25
  • Fuck You 2

8 minutes ago, chase25 said:

How else do we win the internet? That’s my highest priority item on today’s To Do list. 

• Haha 3

Just now, Dbeasy said:

How else do we win the internet? That’s my highest priority item on today’s To Do list. 

By negging people who have ruffled your feathers through a computer screen I guess.

• Fuck You 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Wait, are you trying to tell us he went from CWS finalist to 5th in the B1G in 3 years time? Or that in year 10 they were worse than in year 3?

Come on. We all know baseball isn’t linear like that. There are going to be years the ball doesn’t bounce your way and it’s Michigan, not exactly a powerhouse. Bakich is a top 10 coach. Him, Link Jarrett at FSU and Rob Vaughn at Bama are right up there on my list. 

There is no slam dunk. No Augie out there waiting to be poached. Jay Johnson and Tim Corbin aren’t coming here. Just like with most hiring processes, you have to look heavily at traits and what translates well to a place like Texas.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, chase25 said:

So you lied. I used simple context clues and made an inference about your post about Bakich coaching on the east coast. 

You are a child. I’m not going to continue to go multiple rounds over this on a Wednesday because there are much more important things in life. Save us both the time.

You can want David Pierce fired, that’s fine, I have no loyalty to David Pierce other than the fact he is the current head man of Texas baseball. All I’ll say is if you are going to fire someone who has made it to Omaha 3/6 full seasons and won his conference 3/6 seasons, the plan better be a hell of a lot better than money whipping Erik Bakich and Tom Walters.

Negged.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Come on. We all know baseball isn’t linear like that. There are going to be years the ball doesn’t bounce your way and it’s Michigan, not exactly a powerhouse. Bakich is a top 10 coach. Him, Link Jarrett at FSU and Rob Vaughn at Bama are right up there on my list. 

There is no slam dunk. No Augie out there waiting to be poached. Jay Johnson and Tim Corbin aren’t coming here. Just like with most hiring processes, you have to look heavily at traits and what translates well to a place like Texas.

I like Rob Vaughn, to lose Luke and Colby like they did and not miss a beat is impressive. Don’t know if I’d fire Pierce for him yet but depending on how this team finishes Pierce may make that decision for everybody

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Negged.

You’re right, it does feel kinda good

Edited by chase25

Are you saying those statements are false?

My comment was just stirring the pot. Honestly I have no idea who would be the top 5/10 coaches. They’ll all have flaws. And it would be like Sark - right place, right time as to which guy would be best.

I don’t give up on the season until it’s over. That’s where I am. I see the upside to this team although that takes a hit with the Witt news. I’m more a DP fan than ever just cause all the shit talkin but that’s my mentality - right or wrong. But I’m more about Texas succeeding than any coach. I’ll worry about next year after this year.

1 minute ago, Had Enough said:

My comment was just stirring the pot. Honestly I have no idea who would be the top 5/10 coaches. They’ll all have flaws. And it would be like Sark - right place, right time as to which guy would be best.

I don’t give up on the season until it’s over. That’s where I am. I see the upside to this team although that takes a hit with the Witt news. I’m more a DP fan than ever just cause all the shit talkin but that’s my mentality - right or wrong. But I’m more about Texas succeeding than any coach. I’ll worry about next year after this year.

The concept of being "more about Texas than a coach" should be an absolute given. I didn't even realize that there was a scenario in which the opposite could be the case.

The concept of being "more about Texas than a coach" should be an absolute given. I didn't even realize that there was a scenario in which the opposite could be the case.

Yes, it should be a given. But on these boards, I’m never certain.

Suppose I said that as I’d be considered pro-DP. I see positives with him but it’s as much pro-Texas as anything. I’m almost always pro player so I’ll be positive on that front even though my opinions/views have no impact on the actual season.

Mix in a little homerism and we’re finishing strong. As annoying as that hope may be to some. Not the “finishing strong” but my optimism for the finish.

7 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Yes, it should be a given. But on these boards, I’m never certain.

Suppose I said that as I’d be considered pro-DP. I see positives with him but it’s as much pro-Texas as anything. I’m almost always pro player so I’ll be positive on that front even though my opinions/views have no impact on the actual season.

Mix in a little homerism and we’re finishing strong. As annoying as that hope may be to some. Not the “finishing strong” but my optimism for the finish.

You do you. That said, The Stockdale Paradox is your friend.

Re:  Pierce

The below is from IT when he was extended in '21.  Latest info afaik.     Seems he would be safe (unless bottom drops) thru '24 and '25.   Key would be if he receives extension in '25.

Pierce, who recently completed the fifth season of his original six-year contract, was extended through the 2026 season. He received a raise from $750,000 per year to $1.2 million per year. In five seasons at Texas, Pierce is 172-94 with two College World Series appearances and two Big 12 regular season titles.

https://www.on3.com/teams/texas-longhorns/news/new-contract-details-for-beard-pierce-elliott-on-board-of-regents-meeting-agenda/

a fight just about broke out after the game last night because a young guy said something negative about pierce and a bunch of blue hairs went apeshit on him. thought i was about to watch a senior citizen get his ass whipped. 

2 hours ago, torre said:

The below is from IT when he was extended in '21.  Latest info afaik.     Seems he would be safe (unless bottom drops) thru '24 and '25.   Key would be if he receives extension in '25.

https://www.on3.com/teams/texas-longhorns/news/new-contract-details-for-beard-pierce-elliott-on-board-of-regents-meeting-agenda/

It's 2024, nobody gives a shit about 2021.....

3 hours ago, torre said:

So bottom dropping is not what he is already doing this season?

17 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

So bottom dropping is not what he is already doing this season?

15 minutes ago, B00M said:

Unfortunately, no. It can get worse

Yeah go ahead and look up our 2012, 2013, 2015 and 2016 records. Shit our 2019 one too. This year has been a joy compared to the crap we put out there those years. 

2 hours ago, stc said:

a fight just about broke out after the game last night because a young guy said something negative about pierce and a bunch of blue hairs went apeshit on him. thought i was about to watch a senior citizen get his ass whipped. 

Interesting. Maybe the blue hairs should hit better so that there wont be as many malcontents. 

The teams upside depended on an 0-1 pitcher who gave an occasional inning or two at a 5.8 ERA clip? Okay.

The teams upside depended on an 0-1 pitcher who gave an occasional inning or two at a 5.8 ERA clip? Okay.

So you’re saying losing a guy that has performed at a somewhat high level, performed well at the CWS, that MLB teams viewed as a high level prospect doesn’t have the potential to take this team a step higher? Okay.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

So you’re saying losing a guy that has performed at a somewhat high level, performed well at the CWS, that MLB teams viewed as a high level prospect doesn’t have the potential to take this team a step higher? Okay.

Witt has hurt Texas baseball over the last going on now 3 seasons more than he has helped Texas baseball. Pretty much just a wasted roster spot, that being said I don’t blame Pierce for keeping him and respect the hell out of Witt for trying to give Texas whatever he had left in the tank. Unfortunately not every story has a happy ending

Edited by chase25

6 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

It's nice to finally see a few folks start to voice their concerns about Pierce. I've been on that island for awhile now. I get it, though. He's done just well enough so that if you squint and rationalize, you can convince yourself that he's the right coach for Texas. I've done my share of squinting over the years, even staying on the Charlie Strong "let's wait and see" bandwagon too long.  That "let's wait and see" approach can sustain you for 2-3 seasons. I freely admit that based upon the world series appearances it seems like I'm jumping the gun on Pierce. But, I've seen enough little things over the last several years to believe Texas could do better. I also don't believe a mid-season firing is warranted, obviously.  Giving him next year as well seems appropriate, on paper.  But if you're CDC, you have to have received enough information about his coaching to make a call after this year if you do believe he's the wrong guy.

You take your reasonable opinion and get the fuck outta here.

• Hook 'Em 1

I used to be able to do a whole lot of shit I can’t do now.
  • Hook 'Em 1

First of all….we aren’t winning every conference series so we can put that fantasy to rest.

Just for argument’s sake…even if we did…whupdeefucking doo. That puts us in position to end the season getting skullfucked in Baton Rouge or College Station.

5 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

First of all….we aren’t winning every conference series so we can put that fantasy to rest.

Just for argument’s sake…even if we did…whupdeefucking doo. That puts us in position to end the season getting skullfucked in Baton Rouge or College Station.

Big 12 Champion is hosting. Period. Maybe you are new around here and don't understand how baseball post season works.

Don’t look now but we have already won the first two series 2-1….

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Balcones said:

Big 12 Champion is hosting. Period. Maybe you are new around here and don't understand how baseball post season works.

Don’t look now but we have already won the first two series 2-1….

Big 12 Champ did not host last year because we were the champion. Actually back to back years it happened because TCU didn’t host in 2022 either. Prior to that though you are correct, it had never happened.

But yes, if we somehow pulled a 20-10 record out of our ass in conference play we would probably host. I say probably because losing games to A&M Corpus Christi isn’t typically a part of the equation. Every Big 12 opponent we play from here on out has a top 100 RPI and we still have to go to Manhattan, Norman, Houston and Orlando. All 4 of those teams have top 60 RPI’s. A 16-8 finish would mean we won quite a few of those road games and our RPI will likely go way up.

Edited by Hookem2147

Witt has hurt Texas baseball over the last going on now 3 seasons more than he has helped Texas baseball. Pretty much just a wasted roster spot, that being said I don’t blame Pierce for keeping him and respect the hell out of Witt for trying to give Texas whatever he had left in the tank. Unfortunately not every story has a happy ending

As it turns this is true. I don’t recall reading anything indicating leading into the season that his arm was shot. I’d assume that all parties were operating based on available medical information. And the tone was that the fans were happy to have him back. Not for what we got but what we’d reasonably hoped he could provide.
  • Hook 'Em 1