Spring Game - 4/20/2024

msucolt45

2 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Owens showed out.

Sydir played more, and better than I expected.

Washington, assuming he's healthy, will be our best TE since Bo Scaife.

We need DBs in the portal.

Simmons, January, and Vasek make me feel tingly.

No, he stopped a loaded up.

Huh??? 

2 minutes ago, ousux said:

Shit, hope he at least sticks around for our first year in the SEC. Good problem to have, it's been a while...maybe ever?

He just got here. He’ll see the first year in the SEC lol

He just got here. He’ll see the first year in the SEC lol
Normally I would agree, but this is the age of NIL. Best to not assume anyone stays if they have another helmet school practically handing them a starting job. Can't wait to watch, heard Arch played great as well.

Just now, BERT said:

You forget about Thomas?? 

I did but I still think Scaife was a better blocker.  Washington has a big body like Scaife too.  

I'd be happy with Washington turning out like any of those mentioned.  I just liked Scaife a lot.

1 minute ago, EZ$ said:

Sark has been smiling this entire scrimmage. He knows he has something going on down here. 

This is the biggest tell.  Clearly, the QB position is insanely deep.  Yeah, Quinn didn't set the world on fire, but we know what he can do, so maybe give the defense credit for that play.

Manning was awesome.  OWENS was awesome.  Put any QB concern to rest.

RB should be fine.  WR/TE might remain a bit of concern.

OL should be fine.  Maybe not best in the country but I suspect top 10 and definitely "SEC worthy".

Honestly, my biggest takeaway was still the back 4.  Other than that, this is a fine fucking team, and by far the most encouraging spring game I can remember in at least two decades.  Let's roll.

5 minutes ago, ousux said:

Normally I would agree, but this is the age of NIL. Best to not assume anyone stays if they have another helmet school practically handing them a starting job. Can't wait to watch, heard Arch played great as well.emoji869.png

Nobody worth a damn is handing a true freshman from another school a starting QB gig based on a spring game. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

id be very surprised if Owens finishes his career as a Longhorn 

For sure, already has quite the touch despite some big ?s about the defensive backfield.  Several of the receivers look to be running sharp routes. 

9 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I'd be surprised if he didn't.  My take is that he bleeds orange and Arch will likely be 1 and done once Ewers is gone.

I'm more worried about Lacey.

I'm not worried about Lacey. I want his commitment to stick but we're most likely getting Russell and probably Moore anyway. Embarrassment of choices.

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

id be very surprised if Owens finishes his career as a Longhorn 

Sark is getting the QB ducks lined up perfectly.  RS, then backup, then compete/start for at least 2 seasons.

Right this moment, I’d be concerned what going on in the head of the commit from Alabama …

11 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Sark is getting the QB ducks lined up perfectly.  RS, then backup, then compete/start for at least 2 seasons.

Right this moment, I’d be concerned what going on in the head of the commit from Alabama …

Gerry and Bobby have stated before that Arch wants to start 2 years at Texas and even 3 years isn’t out of the question.  I personally highly doubt he stays in college 5 years but they have mentioned plenty of times that his family is in no rush for him to get to the NFL and want him to enjoy college and develop.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, billfromlaketravis said:

So the Cowboys were reinstated? I noticed black hats firing the cannon today. 

I thought they were on 5 year probation. Just looked it up. 

Incident happened in fall 2018. They were put on 6 year probation. I'm not premed but I think this spring does not equal 6 year.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Gerry and Bobby have stated before that Arch wants to start 2 years at Texas and even 3 years isn’t out of the question.  I personally highly doubt he stays in college 5 years but they have mentioned plenty of times that his family is in no rush for him to get to the NFL and want him to enjoy college and develop.

… as I said “at least.”  

Regardless, Sark has a proven track record of recruiting, developing, and managing starter quality QBs as far back as USC under Pete.  It would be shocking if any of these guys weren’t told up front how the train will run and their place as engineer.

• Hook 'Em 1

I know it's not a real game, and I know lots of the development comes from simply being in the program for a year, but the improvement arch showed from last spring game to this one has to be one of the best endorsements of Sark's ability to grow a player as you can get.  I get the feeling Sark is going to basically have his choice of qbs so long as he's here at Texas, they're going to be dying to play for him. Especially if Ewers gets drafted super highly. Sark puts QBs into the NFL.

6 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

I know it's not a real game, and I know lots of the development comes from simply being in the program for a year, but the improvement arch showed from last spring game to this one has to be one of the best endorsements of Sark's ability to grow a player as you can get.

It says just as much about Arch and his upbringing. The guy works and applies himself.

• Hook 'Em 2

I love the Moore is leaving speculation... 

The one thing I think may be underestimated is that the offensive QB culture Sark is building is what championships are built upon.  To succeed at the highest championship level you need TWO QB's that are all out ballers.  Simply as inevitably the starter gets banged up, and the playing time comes for next up.  I also think that when you have a kid like Arch willing to sit for two years, to wait for his turn says a LOT about our program now.  

IMHO it's way, way too early to speculate on Moore transferring for playing time.  Same thing folks thought about Arch, when he was coming in behind Ewers.  It is my opinion that you can only truly become an elite team by being able to create a good enough opportunity to make it worth it to stay and wait.  I think we are getting very, very close to this point.  It could be that Arch Manning is indeed an aberration. But I think that Sark is the kind of offensive mind and coach that QB's are going to be willing to wait for.  If we can keep this ball rolling, it will simply always be "worth the wait" to be the starting QB at Texas.

We seem to be building something very special in the QB room.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, horn4life said:

The one thing I think may be underestimated is that the offensive QB culture Sark is building is what championships are built upon.  To succeed at the highest championship level you need TWO QB's that are all out ballers.  Simply as inevitably the starter gets banged up, and the playing time comes for next up.  I also think that when you have a kid like Arch willing to sit for two years, to wait for his turn says a LOT about our program now.  

IMHO it's way, way too early to speculate on Moore transferring for playing time.  Same thing folks thought about Arch, when he was coming in behind Ewers.  It is my opinion that you can only truly become an elite team by being able to create a good enough opportunity to make it worth it to stay and wait.  I think we are getting very, very close to this point.  It could be that Arch Manning is indeed an aberration. But I think that Sark is the kind of offensive mind and coach that QB's are going to be willing to wait for.  If we can keep this ball rolling, it will simply always be "worth the wait" to be the starting QB at Texas.

We'll never out-perform Elko at the QB position.  I've heard it.

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, horn4life said:

sorry, Moore who?

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

It says just as much about Arch and his upbringing. The guy works and applies himself.

Absolutely. I watched just about every game of Arch's senior year with the Greenies. Arch is a fucking gamer, he has "it," he one of those guys who really can meet a moment and turn it on when he needs to. There were quite a few games where Arch put the greenies on his back, a number of game winning drives from him, and that one time he had like 300 yard passing in the first half alone (the game where he broke Eli's passing record at the school). Anybody who seriously thought Arch was nothing but hype based on his name never watched him play, the way he held himself today is definitely shades of him in highschool.

That said, today is by far the best I've ever seen Arch look. He was always good, but today he looked legit great. He clearly took a step from last year to this year. That sark lands guys with work ethics like Arch is like a chicken and egg situation. It's a great situation to be in where we can sit around and honestly debate about whether its the innate ability of the kinds of players we bring in now, or Sark coaching them up, because either way it means we've got white-hot talent on the team right now and are set up for the long haul.

Edited by WelfareBuysMyWeed
  • Hook 'Em 2