Need opinions on who has right of way

AUinHsv

This is an incredibly poorly designed intersection but I am stuck with going thru it a lot. Just about smacked someone this morning

The satellite picture is poor but here it is.  The silver car turning right from Oakwood is exactly where the problem is. They have a yield to turn right.

The red arrow is the problem. People turning left from Oakwood are cruising sideways across three lanes to go into the gas station and they almost come to stop to avoid bottoming out on the entrance.  The entrance should never have been allowed but it is there. Making the right turn you are looking to the left to yield and when you look back to straight ahead there is a vehicle essentially sideways to use the entrance.

My view is the the vehicle turning left has is protected for a turn to the leftmost lane not any of lanes they want. Plus they are actually entering the yield lane to make that turn.

Or am I supposed to yield to any vehicle in front of me no matter how they got there.

Traffic.thumb.jpg.ab152f5870d1559ef40867f5f1c772d1.jpg

The car turning right has a yield sign. They must yield all lanes to traffic including somebody sliding over 3 lanes to turn into the gas station. Big triangular sign out front shoulda told ya.

• Hook 'Em 1

order here

1. Yield sign means yield to all

2. If left turning has solid lane marking through the turn, it must be adhered to. Otherwise, their right to cross lanes (though unsuggested)

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)

When turning, you are required to turn into the lane nearest to your turn, then you can make legal lane changes to get into the lane you want to be in.  Yielding traffic still does have to yield to vehicles making legal lane changes though.  If while turning, you cross over multiple lanes without making legal lane changes, then you have entered the roadway illegally.  Also, rule # 1 of the Texas motor vehicle code or whatever they call it, is that you are required to operate your vehicle in a safe manner.  Looking at the picture, I don't see how you can make legal lane changes or operate your vehicle safely in even moderate traffic at that intersection for the traffic turning left there.

Edited by Hairy Biped

8 hours ago, Hairy Biped said:

When turning, you are required to turn into the lane nearest to your turn, then you can make legal lane changes to get into the lane you want to be in.  Yielding traffic still does have to yield to vehicles making legal lane changes though.  If while turning, you cross over multiple lanes without making legal lane changes, then you have entered the roadway illegally.  Also, rule # 1 of the Texas motor vehicle code or whatever they call it, is that you are required to operate your vehicle in a safe manner.  Looking at the picture, I don't see how you can make legal lane changes or operate your vehicle safely in even moderate traffic at that intersection for the traffic turning left there.

That is for a right turn, not a left turn. There is a specific code section and traffic violation for a wide right turn that is similar to the language you used. There is no such section specifying the same rules for a left hand turn. 

Appreciate the replies. I don't want to have a wreck and try to figure out fault. I understand yielding to anyone coming my direction even if they illegally changed lanes. That's part of my issue here. technically they are in front of me but going 90 degrees across traffic to make that turn.  Plus -  Even more frustrating and not in the picture - right past the goofy entrance (about 20 feet) is a second entrance to the same place. That one is much easier to determine fault since the right turn lane has been merged into the existing right lane.

It’s a shitty intersection and it shouldn’t be this way, but the guy turning right has the obligation to watch the fuck out for all the shit around him. There is a similar setup near where I live in Atlanta and there’s a honking/middle finger situation there every other cycle and a collision at least once a week….

On 4/27/2024 at 7:32 AM, AUinHsv said:

This is an incredibly poorly designed intersection but I am stuck with going thru it a lot. Just about smacked someone this morning

The satellite picture is poor but here it is.  The silver car turning right from Oakwood is exactly where the problem is. They have a yield to turn right.

The red arrow is the problem. People turning left from Oakwood are cruising sideways across three lanes to go into the gas station and they almost come to stop to avoid bottoming out on the entrance.  The entrance should never have been allowed but it is there. Making the right turn you are looking to the left to yield and when you look back to straight ahead there is a vehicle essentially sideways to use the entrance.

My view is the the vehicle turning left has is protected for a turn to the leftmost lane not any of lanes they want. Plus they are actually entering the yield lane to make that turn.

Or am I supposed to yield to any vehicle in front of me no matter how they got there.

Traffic.thumb.jpg.ab152f5870d1559ef40867f5f1c772d1.jpg

If they wanted to give the folks turning right their own protected lane, they would have done away with the Yield sign and had a solid white stripe from the corner...They also probably would have not allowed the gas station entrance there. 

But as it is, Yield means yield to all traffic.

image.thumb.png.3c0d21738d6e54b2ec060408237c02d0.png

• Drool 1

34 minutes ago, AUinHsv said:

Appreciate the replies. I don't want to have a wreck and try to figure out fault. I understand yielding to anyone coming my direction even if they illegally changed lanes. That's part of my issue here. technically they are in front of me but going 90 degrees across traffic to make that turn.  Plus -  Even more frustrating and not in the picture - right past the goofy entrance (about 20 feet) is a second entrance to the same place. That one is much easier to determine fault since the right turn lane has been merged into the existing right lane.

Since you seem to be very familiar with the intersection and traverse it frequently, I don't see how YOU could have a wreck.  If you're the guy turning right, you slow the heck down before starting your right turn so as to not get rear ended, then yield and only go when it's absolutely clear.  Wait for the light to turn red for the left-turner if you have to.

If you're the guy turning left, watch out for a guy turning right and proceed with extreme caution, like make sure he's come to a complete stop and sees you.  Or, better yet, don't turn left and then try to make it into that driveway.  Surely there's a better way into that gas station that might cost you a couple more minutes, or another gas station nearby.

Or you could just not pay attention and run into someone and then be righteously claim you had the right of way as you deal with a damaged car and potentially injured people.

I mean the person turning left is an asshat if they are turning in front of people on a blinking yellow arrow or something to then cross all the lanes, but they are still the person that has the right of way.

If the left turn is a protected green arrow only, then the person turning right is an asshat for just driving like they own the place when the light they were approaching is obviously red...not to mention yield sign being present.  

19 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

What about the assholes that just cut through the gas station in order to avoid the intersection all together?

They will have a lot more problems. Luckily there isn't an entrance on that side. They would have to go thru the hedges.

I agree knowing about it helps but the brain does odd things. If I am at the yield sign and see someone turning left I "forget" about them when they are passed my vision field because I am looking hard to the left for "legal" drivers. Taking the foot off the brake and then turn back to straight ahead and the car that turned left is now sideways to hit the entrance. As I mentioned the really goofy part (other than an entrance in the merge lane) is a second entrance 20 feet farther to the same lot. 

In the restaurant business customers like to think they have the right of way. Nope! If I'm carrying a tray of hot food or drinks I get the right of way. Customers, get the fuck outta my way and don't stand in the god damn walkway.