Worldwide Israel/Palestine War Protests Thread

bolverk

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Skipper said:

I won't bump my post in the UT protest thread so it doesn't veer off topic but you may recall many praising the restraint showed by the University of Chicago (i.e., strong disapproval but not taking immediate action) when coming down hard on Hartzell.   I said I thought 50/50 at best they wouldn't end up needing to get the police involved.  Looks like that was a winning bet.

University of Chicago police clear pro-Palestinian protest encampment on campus - ABC7 Chicago

Half measures won't work with these losers.

Bringing police in after laws have been broken is fine yes. Mass show of force before was the issue.

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 6

52 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Oh ok

mass show of force is the usual with every department dealing with large groups.  You’ll never see a slow trickle of cops that move into the operating area and then form up.  They move as one and operate as one.  That’s the point. it’s like two large organisms interacting and the cop organism almost always wants to show itself fully so the other side knows what’s happening and how many they’ll be dealing with.  

6 minutes ago, PRONG HORN said:

mass show of force is the usual with every department dealing with large groups.  You’ll never see a slow trickle of cops that move into the operating area and then form up.  They move as one and operate as one.  That’s the point. it’s like two large organisms interacting and the cop organism almost always wants to show itself fully so the other side knows what’s happening and how many they’ll be dealing with.  

Nah. Mass show of force rationalization = you’re a fascist instead of displaying common sense. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, PRONG HORN said:

Thank you for accurately describing an intimidation tactic, I guess.

4 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Anti Zionist =\= pro Hamas

These marches started after a 9-11 type of attacked that was much more brutal and personal and extreme with mass, pre-planned rapes, sexual mutilations with body parts thrown into the streets, necrophilia, burning babies and other rather barbaric acts. And this all occurred primarily as a tactic to end the Israel-Saudi Arabia peace accord. Further the marches are meant to get Israel to stop rooting out Hamas and to stop Israel in its quest to return over 132 hostages albeit a lot of the hostages have sense been murdered and probably all have been raped and tortured. Thus, these marches absolutely benefit Hamas not only in solidifying its cause, but in recruiting, protecting, and providing hope and showing solidarity. Moreover, to march with a group or even support a group that has many participants who are absolutely racist should be anathema to one whose anti-zionist goal is to protect the oppressed.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

, pre-planned rapes, sexual mutilations with body parts thrown into the streets, necrophilia, burning babies and other rather barbaric acts. 

I agree what the IDF is doing is disgusting. You don’t need to convince me.

I’m very aware of how this all played out. That doesn’t change the fact that every video that idiot posts from the algorithm Musk curated for him isn’t pro Hamas just because the caption describes it as such. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

I’m very aware of how this all played out. That doesn’t change the fact that every video that idiot posts from the algorithm Musk curated for him isn’t pro Hamas just because the caption describes it as such. 

You mean pro Israel?  

1 hour ago, PRONG HORN said:

That’s the same exact type of propaganda that the Islamic regime occupying Iran puts on murals and billboards in Tehran. Revolting to see that shit projected on a college campus in America. Khamenei and the rest of the thugs in his government are loving this shit.

• Hook 'Em 6

11 minutes ago, PRONG HORN said:

The US is responsible for the deaths of 44000 civilian Palestinians?

No, but 3M, Valero, Moderna, and Starbucks are.  That's why university funds must sell their big cap mutual funds that has a partial stake in these companies.  Only then will gaza be free. Viva Palastina.

• Haha 7

13 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

No, but 3M, Valero, Moderna, and Starbucks are.  That's why university funds must sell their big cap mutual funds that has a partial stake in these companies.  Only then will gaza be free. Viva Palastina.

😱

IMG-2560.jpg

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

We're on a hunger strike, but nobody is worried about us being hungry. We are hungry during out hunger strike and it might not be healthy. Won't anyone think of the chicken?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

I think this is clearly assault.  You can't paint people.

assault or no, it's absolutely absurd and somewhat hilarious.

A literal example of the, "I'm flailing my arms and walking forward, but not punching you" 4 year old logic.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Macklemore said:

That’s the same exact type of propaganda that the Islamic regime occupying Iran puts on murals and billboards in Tehran. Revolting to see that shit projected on a college campus in America. Khamenei and the rest of the thugs in his government are loving this shit.

IMO it’s really more of an example of how bizarre it is that some tiny ethnosectarian fight on the other side of the planet became the central issue of the progressive left. Noah Smith summed it my thoughts perfectly:

2 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Why is that one woman dressed like a watermelon?

The reality is, they are supporters of hummus. Something got lost in translation.

On a serious note, I really would a agnostic investigative reporter to ask females at these protests there impressions of Hamas and "Do you know their stance on women's rights? Do you know their stance on religious rights?".

I am willing to wager, based on various videos I've seen that if they are willing to answer it is not very accurate. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

The reality is, they are supporters of hummus. Something got lost in translation.

On a serious note, I really would a agnostic investigative reporter to ask females at these protests there impressions of Hamas and "Do you know their stance on women's rights? Do you know their stance on religious rights?".

I am willing to wager, based on various videos I've seen that if they are willing to answer it is not very accurate. 

Doesn’t matter, it’s the omnicause, bruh.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

Doesn’t matter, it’s the omnicause, bruh.

8 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

In love with this. There’s no disability justice without a liberated Palestine.

spacer.png

It means that what is happening with this group of naive true believers is what happens with ALL groups of naive true believers.  They get caught up in a flurry of "causes" instead of focusing on a results-oriented path based on one cause or a couple of closely related causes.

Pro-Palestinian activists/liberationists who started out protesting real-time genocide of Palestinians but are now calling for disability rights and a panoply of other predictable left-of-center shit?  Meet the Tea Partiers....who started out protesting representatives who were too beholden to special interests but are now full-on Q-anon and "stollen election" nutbars.  Same shit happened with the "Occupy Wall Street" movement.  Same shit happened with the populist MAGA movement.

True believers are more focused on how gratifying it is to "believe," and lose sight of the fact that maybe it would be better to actually achieve a result.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It means that what is happening with this group of naive true believers is what happens with ALL groups of naive true believers.  They get caught up in a flurry of "causes" instead of focusing on a results-oriented path based on one cause or a couple of closely related causes.

Pro-Palestinian activists/liberationists who started out protesting real-time genocide of Palestinians but are now calling for disability rights and a panoply of other predictable left-of-center shit?  Meet the Tea Partiers....who started out protesting representatives who were too beholden to special interests but are now full-on Q-anon and "stollen election" nutbars.  Same shit happened with the "Occupy Wall Street" movement.  Same shit happened with the populist MAGA movement.

True believers are more focused on how gratifying it is to "believe," and lose sight of the fact that maybe it would be better to actually achieve a result.

Mission creep is the gradual or incremental expansion of an intervention, project or mission, beyond its original scope, focus or goals, a ratchet effect spawned by initial success. dumbasses starved for attention & accolades

12 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Mission creep is the gradual or incremental expansion of an intervention, project or mission, beyond its original scope, focus or goals, a ratchet effect spawned by initial success. dumbasses starved for attention & accolades

I don't fully agree with the bolded, because that implies that the chief kick they get out of this is external approval.  I think it's equal parts internal self-satisfaction and approval FROM THEIR TRIBE/ECHO-CHAMBER.  That is, they don't even get that much approval from their "side" of the political spectrum, outside of the small group of true believers that is their immediate "tribe."  The other self-important pro-palestinian activists pat them on the back, but that's a relatively small group.  The Q-anon-ers love each other, but they aren't lauded by the largest percentage of right-of-center people.  

It's about human nature and craving an identity and a tribe.  It's non-partisan and across ideologies.  Seriously, look at the people at Trump rallies.  It's tribal, because IT FEELS GOOD.  That's what we're seeing here, and what we've always seen about extreme ideological movements.

It's why I've at least gotten a chuckle out of watching our local right-wing bunch jump all over this as some sorta toldyaso gotcha.....when the extremists on their side of aisle have actually ascended to positions of power and control.  Mock the purple-haired Pro-Palestinian ideologues all you want....as you ignore the Q-anon/MTG/stollen election log in your own eye.

• Hook 'Em 4

• bolverk changed the title to Worldwide Israel/Palestine War Protests Thread