Worldwide Israel/Palestine War Protests Thread

bolverk

12 minutes ago, bolverk said:

You don't seem to have a problem with other non-college content. Still, you seem to suggest we shouldn't discuss the protests in Israel that actually matter and could possibly influence the events that everyone is protesting/counter-protesting about.

Your post 1704 was essentially comparing U.S. protests to Israel with the implication that U.S. protests aren't that over the top comparatively. It's apples to oranges from a "skin in the game" perspective.    Stop pretending you are more objective in your views than the posters you call out.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Your post 1704 was essentially comparing U.S. protests to Israel with the implication that U.S. protests aren't that over the top comparatively. It's apples to oranges from a "skin in the game" perspective.    Stop pretending you are more objective in your views than the posters you call out.

Lots of anti-war/anti-government protests going on in Israel, too. They're even (gasp) blocking highways! I bet they didn't even have a permit. Someone should pass a law that lets drivers run over them, just like Florida.

No, this language was pointedly mocking Surly dickheads who've repeatedly expressed violent intentions toward protesters with whom they disagree over the years (especially the BLM ones for...inexplicable...reasons), including promoting drivers running down protesters that block intersections/highways or voicing support for states, such as Florida, passing bills that exonerate drivers from doing so. Hell, that doesn't even include posters wanting cops to go in and "crack skulls."

The kicker was simply the image I posted of Israelis marching down a highway showing that, despite being in the middle of a war, they seem much more tolerant of dissent than our hypocritical "free speech" asses.

But, fuck yeah, Israelis have more skin in the game than Americans/Australians/Europeans. Why even discuss any protests outside of Israel at this point? Shouldn't we talk about the ones that matter and not the narcissistic sideshows?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Precisely as long as he remains under threat of criminal consequences should his government fall.  So....for the rest of his lifespan.  That's how long this "war" will take.

This is, of course, the real answer. Which Bevo will ignore in perpetuity.

1 hour ago, Brian Fantana said:

This is, of course, the real answer. Which Bevo will ignore in perpetuity.

Of course I will ignore it. Israel will have 75% fewer troops in Gaza within 6 months and if Iran is able to continue to smuggle weapons into Gaza beyond 6 months, Israelis will tire of troop deaths within 2 years. And that is if Netanyahu has occupation plans which remains to be seen.

18 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Of course I will ignore it. Israel will have 75% fewer troops in Gaza within 6 months and if Iran is able to continue to smuggle weapons into Gaza beyond 6 months, Israelis will tire of troop deaths within 2 years. And that is if Netanyahu has occupation plans which remains to be seen.

I'm not sure how you can ignore the fact that Bibi faces serious prison time if he loses power as if that doesn't heavily weigh into his motivations.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Brian Fantana said:

I'm not sure how you can ignore the fact that Bibi faces serious prison time if he loses power as if that doesn't heavily weigh into his motivations.

If Netanyahu keeps the coalition intact he will stay in power and he is in no imminent danger of the coalition slipping away. That is his motivation.

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

If Netanyahu keeps the coalition intact he will stay in power and he is in no imminent danger of the coalition slipping away. That is his motivation.

Ok, and how do you think he does that? Without a perpetual enemy he has no power.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Ok, and how do you think he does that? Without a perpetual enemy he has no power.

Actually, it is the war that could cause Netanyahu to lose power. Some of the issues facing the coalition are:

Israelis in the North can't return to their homes because of Hezbollah. Hezbollah won't stop firing while Israel is in Gaza.

Ultra-Orthodox parties will bolt Netanyahu’s government if he advances the mandatory conscription of yeshiva students. This issue moves down in importance if Israel pulls out of Gaza.

Saudi Arabia has conditioned normalization on Israel ending the Gaza war.

The coalition wants to ensure Israel has secured control of Gaza. While the war is going on, Netanyahu can't claim that Gaza is secure.

21 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Actually, it is the war that could cause Netanyahu to lose power. Some of the issues facing the coalition are:

Israelis in the North can't return to their homes because of Hezbollah. Hezbollah won't stop firing while Israel is in Gaza.

Ultra-Orthodox parties will bolt Netanyahu’s government if he advances the mandatory conscription of yeshiva students. This issue moves down in importance if Israel pulls out of Gaza.

Saudi Arabia has conditioned normalization on Israel ending the Gaza war.

The coalition wants to ensure Israel has secured control of Gaza. While the war is going on, Netanyahu can't claim that Gaza is secure.

Pretty much agree.

It seems to me he's stuck between a rock and a hard place. A couple of years ago, he made his deal (with the devil, in my opinion) by hitching his wagon to the zealots and their maximalist policy demands, such as refashioning the judiciary and expanding illegal territorial claims. He wouldn't have won reelection without those guys and might be in jail now. Still, they're also forcing him to over-commit to a war of conquest (again, in my opinion) at the expense of getting the hostages back and making a peace deal, however temporary it might be.

As we're seeing with the protests, public opinion in Israel appears to be turning against him. At the same time, the patience of a previously sympathetic international community has been worn out through the brutal conduct of the war. If he caves to international pressure, the hostage families, and their anti-government allies, he loses the extremists. If he doesn't wrap up the war soon, he loses everyone but the hardliners, but it seems the only way to win it quickly would be to abandon any hope of getting the hostages and just leveling what's left of the Strip. Obviously, he loses all remaining goodwill from his international allies. In any case, he risks losing power and facing trial.

I'm not sure I see a winning scenario for him unless Hamas somehow capitulates overnight, which I don't see happening since they obviously know time is on their side and don't have the burden of fretting (over the short-term, at least) over Palestinian casualties or public opinion.

At this point, he might as well just do what's right, which (yet again, in my opinion) is inflicting the least amount of death and suffering on innocents, whether they be Israeli hostages or Palestinian civilians. Given his history of cynically propping up Hamas to weaken the Palestinian Authority so that he can always have a threat to point at and play the tough guy, I doubt he has that in him.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, PRONG HORN said:

You see how their arms are raised at a familiar angle? 

🤯 you cracked the code! By that logic a video of any audience at a mega church during singalong time is filled with Nazis……hey you actually might be on to something here.

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

@Bevo, I'll add one last point to my previous post. No matter how inflexible Bibi has always been with regard to negotiating a two-state solution, I never considered him an extremist. He made the classic mistake, though, that lots and lots of politicians do when they sense vulnerability, which is thinking they can ally with and control extremists to keep power. In Netanyahu's case, he made bargains (of sorts) with two sets of extremists on opposing sides, foolhardily thinking he could play the two off one another, but that's now clearly backfired and he's painted himself into a blood-red corner.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, PRONG HORN said:

Who's we?  Her and the voices in her head?

Prong, I'm not sure which world you live in but it ain't the real one.

You must go through life constantly petrified. 

10 hours ago, bolverk said:

@Bevo, I'll add one last point to my previous post. No matter how inflexible Bibi has always been with regard to negotiating a two-state solution, I never considered him an extremist. He made the classic mistake, though, that lots and lots of politicians do when they sense vulnerability, which is thinking they can ally with and control extremists to keep power. In Netanyahu's case, he made bargains (of sorts) with two sets of extremists on opposing sides, foolhardily thinking he could play the two off one another, but that's now clearly backfired and he's painted himself into a blood-red corner.

I agree with this, and, yes, he probably is cornered, but ending the Rafah incursion, getting some of the hostages back, killing some Hamas, and claiming victory should go a long way towards appeasing both sides.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Good to see the looneys, that include self-proclaimed Republicans turned to the left like fictional character Will McAvoy, have been let out of their cages to invade this thread like a pack of brain damaged hyenas. Keep fighting the good fight, bolverk. You’re oblivious that you’re the anti-Prong Horn but significantly worse. 

Edited by Rex Kramer
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/23/2024 at 10:18 AM, PRONG HORN said:

Where are the photos of this young boy carrying jugs to collect water?

On 5/27/2024 at 7:44 PM, Poester said:

Colleges produce a lot of narcissists these days. What pieces of shit. 

it's beautiful.  rich kids role playing oppressed people.

July-24-ProtAffordPrivUni-Graph.thumb.jpg.0f19600605907e4c250b9607fca9618f.jpg

(the graph is sourced from here https://ash.harvard.edu/programs/crowd-counting-consortium/ )

Edited by 52-80
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

image.thumb.jpeg.1c9b89b3035ad018b6adb1ebc7f46e1a.jpeg

Naked Protest – University of Kaposvár, Hungary

2. Naked Protest GÇô University of Kaposva¦ür, Hungary

Image Source

Students at Hungary’s University of Kaposvár embraced their exhibitionist side in October 2013 when the institution decided to restrict what they could wear on campus. From the beginning of the month, the university prohibited the wearing of short skirts, flip-flops and too much make-up and also requested that students keep their fingernails and hair in a presentable state. In addition, officials implemented a stricter dress code for students, urging men to wear dark footwear and blazers and women to be dressed in blouses, jackets and pants or more modest skirts. The idea for the students’ protest was inspired by the university’s decision to allow lighter clothing during hotter spells, although they did give it a cheeky twist. As one student put it, “The classroom was so warm we removed some clothing as is permitted.”

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

On 5/30/2024 at 10:11 AM, Bevo said:

Naked Protest – University of Kaposvár, Hungary

2. Naked Protest GÇô University of Kaposva¦ür, Hungary

Image Source

Students at Hungary’s University of Kaposvár embraced their exhibitionist side in October 2013 when the institution decided to restrict what they could wear on campus. From the beginning of the month, the university prohibited the wearing of short skirts, flip-flops and too much make-up and also requested that students keep their fingernails and hair in a presentable state. In addition, officials implemented a stricter dress code for students, urging men to wear dark footwear and blazers and women to be dressed in blouses, jackets and pants or more modest skirts. The idea for the students’ protest was inspired by the university’s decision to allow lighter clothing during hotter spells, although they did give it a cheeky twist. As one student put it, “The classroom was so warm we removed some clothing as is permitted.”

I’ll be in my portal.  

"So I just hate the patriarchy, so oppressive. What's that, you're a feminist too? So am I! That's just amazing, we should totally hang out!"

You sound almost exactly like me, at a party at the hippie German coop back in 1990. Young Brisket was unafraid of taking ANY angle if he thought there was the chance of sexy time at the end.

20 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

You sound almost exactly like me, at a party at the hippie German coop back in 1990. Young Brisket was unafraid of taking ANY angle if he thought there was the chance of sexy time at the end.

That's the smart angle. I would take any random position but mainly just to fuck with people. At least that was the case at bars. Most of my friends were like bird dogs - I mainly just had fun. Of course if I argued pro-union to the daughter of the owner of the largest non-unionized trucking company in the US, our relationship probably wasn't going to go anywhere - but that was the challenge.

I did not have pro-Palestinian groups breaking up a Pride Month parade in fucking Philly of all places on my 2024 Bingo Card.  

Has the Hamas DEI office been reached for comment?  

• Haha 3

On 6/1/2024 at 9:09 AM, Brisketexan said:

I hate to break it to you, but despite the name, Zendik Farm was not German.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2