Tailored Dress Shirts.

Ok so I searched and couldn’t find anything on this. But granted could be my search skills suck.

Need some great tailored long sleeve dressy button ups. Both Tucked snd untucked. I am a shrt mexican with broader shiulders. Think a muscular el chapo..

Custom or good store that can fit shirts.

Any recs Austin? Domain

Ty in advance

8 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

Ok so I searched and couldn’t find anything on this. But granted could be my search skills suck.

Need some great tailored long sleeve dressy button ups. Both Tucked snd untucked. I am a shrt mexican with broader shiulders. Think a muscular el chapo.. emoji23.png

Custom or good store that can fit shirts.

Any recs Austin? Domain

Ty in advance

@Helobious swears by the black T-shirt hood chain, chinos and straight out of the box white sneakers look

so don’t do that. 

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

@Helobious swears by the black T-shirt hood chain, chinos and straight out of the box white sneakers look

so don’t do that. 

Agreed. Nothing worse than a casual, comfortable outfit that also makes you look cool. 

• Haha 1

Have you looked into J. Hilburn?

They come to you and measure etc and you get to pick your fabric/style/collar/buttons etc..

Some cities have actual stores, but I don't think Austin is one of them.  We have a couple here in Houston.

3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I was drunk and struggling. Figured G would get me there at some point. 

As it should be.

Honestly, if he wants an Austin local, I may not be much help. But @CoTex suggestion for proper cloth is totally servicable. Kamakura makes solid off the peg stuff too. I'd probably recommend getting some shirts and just finding a local alterations tailor to tighten up the fit if he doesn't want to splurge on MTM

I may be doing it wrong but I look at the shirt as sort-of the disposable wear item along with the socks.  

$100 shirt and $100-200 tie will look better than most people you’ll encounter.  

Except G650 of course who very well may have a damned Gulfstream 650.

37 minutes ago, G650 said:

As it should be.

Honestly, if he wants an Austin local, I may not be much help. But @CoTex suggestion for proper cloth is totally servicable. Kamakura makes solid off the peg stuff too. I'd probably recommend getting some shirts and just finding a local alterations tailor to tighten up the fit if he doesn't want to splurge on MTM

I know he buys nice hunting stuff so assume buy once cry once guy but who knows.  A rifle is a lot different than a few dress shirts. 

unless you want $$$ bespoke, or $$ made-to-measure with questionable results, you can order a bunch of Lands End shit online, and then find local alterationist to fix it.  Lands End traditional cut is very generous for your type of build, and because it has specific-sleeve length sizing, it might even just fit directly

Id figure $500 a shirt or maybe a bit more for a great button up.
I dont want some cheap ass off the rack button up that makes me look like a soup sandwich
Issue always is the sleeve length and shirt length looking like a moo moo.
Like how jerry jones sleeves normally look.

On 5/17/2024 at 2:54 PM, williemackgarza said:

I dont want some cheap ass off the rack button up that makes me look like a soup sandwich emoji23.png

If you want to spend that much then I would 100% go bespoke. You could catch one of the UK shirt makers on a trunk show, Budd or Turnbull are both fantastic. Turnbull actually comes to Austin.

US shirt makers can be ok if you find one, but it's going to take some digging.

• Like 1

I dont want some cheap ass off the rack button up that makes me look like a soup sandwich

$500?!?! You’d better wear a bib at the buffet and put your purple drank in a sippy cup.

On 5/16/2024 at 10:58 AM, Da Fino said:

Another vote for Hamilton. I've been longtime friends with the current owners Kelly and David and their father Jim (who just passed away last year, RIP), who was a huge Longhorn sports fan. The whole family is wonderful. Oldest family business still going in Houston.

I have some shirts that are over 20 years old that still look brand new. They go to Italy every year to pick out their fabrics. Pricey but well worth it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Rule #1 of fashion and style-- be (naturally) beautiful, and you can wear anything and look good.

If you can't abide by Rule #1 (most of us can't), Rule #2 is wear clothes that fit.

Good on you OP for the self-awareness given your self-assessed body shape, size, height, etc and how ill fitting non-custom clothes would likely be.

Edited by BeardIP
  • Like 1

On 5/17/2024 at 2:54 PM, williemackgarza said:

I dont want some cheap ass off the rack button up that makes me look like a soup sandwich emoji23.png

lol, I’d say that’s a decent range. I get most of my dress shirts and summer shirts bespoke at a local shirt maker in nyc, and even those are usually in the $300-$350 range. Worth every penny.

16 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Another vote for Hamilton. I've been longtime friends with the current owners Kelly and David and their father Jim (who just passed away last year, RIP), who was a huge Longhorn sports fan. The whole family is wonderful. Oldest family business still going in Houston.

I have some shirts that are over 20 years old that still look brand new. They go to Italy every year to pick out their fabrics. Pricey but well worth it. 

This.  When I was living in NY, I had a bunch of shirts made at Barneys... they would take the measurements and send them down to Hamilton.  I still wear some of those now 20-year-old shirts.  No idea if it's related, but I was in Seoul a couple weeks ago and saw a custom shirt place called Hamilton Shirt Co.

• 2 weeks later...