Marine Corporal (from Florida!) saves the American tax payer $140MM

Headline feels deceptive. It makes you think there were some hard savings he figured out that had been proven out, but really it's a $140mm cost avoidance and savings formula; an extremely loose excel exercise based on extremely liberal assumptions.

The cynic in me says, "I wonder what sort of dirt this guy had on his superiors to be able to get them to go all-in on the ROI of this use case, give him an awesome award and conviently exit him out of the military with a nice, air-tight NDA".

This reminds me of exercises my company does where everyone tries to one up everyone else for "cost savings" on a well.  If you added up all the initiatives we would probably be drilling 30,000 ft deepwater wells for about $350; but alas we still suck and our costs haven't budged at all.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BeardIP said:

Headline feels deceptive. It makes you think there were some hard savings he figured out that had been proven out, but really it's a $140mm cost avoidance and savings formula; an extremely loose excel exercise based on extremely liberal assumptions.

Take that shit to Cloak Room.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

This reminds me of exercises my company does where everyone tries to one up everyone else for "cost savings" on a well.  If you added up all the initiatives we would probably be drilling 30,000 ft deepwater wells for about $350; but alas we still suck and our costs haven't budged at all.

haha, exactly!

2 hours ago, BeardIP said:

The cynic in me says, "I wonder what sort of dirt this guy had on his superiors to be able to get them to go all-in on the ROI of this use case, give him an awesome award and conviently exit him out of the military with a nice, air-tight NDA".

Oh, good lord.

Regarding UCF:  why not UF?  Much better engineering school, same in-state pricing (roughly).

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Oh, good lord.

Regarding UCF:  why not UF?  Much better engineering school, same in-state pricing (roughly).

Probably because this guy got a presitigous award for doing what the obnoxious guys everyone hates, the first year analysts at the Big 4 or any bank, do on their first day of the job for clients.

You know, use data as inputs married with made up facts assumptions and then create theoritical what-if scenarios in "models" and present them as savings (or revenue growth) if implemented and executed properly.

You are right-- why is he going to UCF or UF engineering for that matter. Bro needs to go to Wharton, GBS or HBS, yesterday!

Edited by BeardIP

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

If he was smart enough to get into UF, he wouldn't be an E4 in the Marines. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Just now, Mittens said:

If he was smart enough to get into UF, he wouldn't be an E4 in the Marines. 

If his engineering instincts are as good as his superiors seem to think they are, then it should be a classic case of "we're gonna ignore high school" and admit the guy anyway.  It's one chair.  If he flunks out, he flunks out.

I officed next to the guy who invented 3D printing at UT.  He was far from the classic PhD candidate.  UT basically 3D printed his diploma (OK, in 2D, it's a metaphor).  Some people take other routes and have different skills they leverage to get there.

I was mostly just being a smartass, but also not, since getting into college is mostly based on what one did in HS.

Seems like he's pretty bright though.  Quite the jump from Palm Beach State College to Berkeley.

Having skipped fourth grade, Barbieri graduated from high school in 2019 at only 16. He spent two semesters studying mechanical engineering, first at Palm Beach State College in Florida and second at the University of California at Berkeley, but he didn’t love it.

Then a Marine recruiter approached him at a career fair.

“I’d tried everything else out, and I couldn’t find anything wrong with joining the Marine Corps,” Barbieri said.

2 hours ago, BeardIP said:

I bet you're fun at parties.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

That's a good outcome for the Marines.  Do y'all realize how many more crayons they can buy with that money?

Shit, I thought this was going to be about some Marine changing the crayon supplier to a company whose crayons have an ingredient that no Marine would want to eat, thereby saving them millions in buying new crayons.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, BeardIP said:

Probably because this guy got a presitigous award for doing what the obnoxious guys everyone hates, the first year analysts at the Big 4 or any bank, do on their first day of the job for clients.

It didn’t say he blatantly ripped off the idea from some poor front line worker, put it in a snazzy PowerPoint presentation, and passed it off as his own idea to upper management.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

13 hours ago, Redneck Mutha said:

image.png.adfda19c30991ca1fa0a293777b9af6b.png

I guarded the motor pool where they shot the scene of those two MPs catching our heroes trying to desert.

No trace of females during my time, but I did use my burglary skills to access the candy machine inside one locked building and get me and my buddy our first Reese's Cups in 6 weeks.

Who watches the watchers.