The Airplane Fanatic Thread

Hornsareus

The Turks had one on the ramp in Kabul one day so I went over and started chatting with the crew.  I talked them into giving me a tour of it.  It was pretty damn nice but of course it was brand new.  It looked like a baby C-17 inside, with pretty much zero similarities to the Herk.  It has props though, so still sexy in my book.

I thought I had a better pic but this is all I have. Us holding short of 11 with the A400 in trail.

aa754aa159c10a01c4e6ea8c2c256ea1.jpg

• Like 2

So I have a random question. Anyone know how the luggage area is laid out on a King Air 350? I'm assuming it's somewhat like a Lear or Citation etc.. but wondering how big the footprint itself it.

Aft fuselage so it’s accessible during flight.

It does not make a shit what you put in there. It will go no problem from basically anywhere.

You can make a case that the king airs are the best plane ever built. They complete their mission as well as any plane ever has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

It does not make a shit what you put in there. It will go no problem from basically anywhere.

You can make a case that the king airs are the best plane ever built. They complete their mission as well as any plane ever has.

Yeah, they are versatile as shit. You give up a little speed but whatever.

I mostly am wondering if I can fit my bike in a case in there with everyone else's bags. Probably 4' long and 2' tall. Only 10" wide tops though

Yeah, they are versatile as shit. You give up a little speed but whatever.

I mostly am wondering if I can fit my bike in a case in there with everyone else's bags. Probably 4' long and 2' tall. Only 10" wide tops though

That should fit. Depends on how many other bags.

KA 360 is out now. I believe larger baggage compartment than 350.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

KA 360 is out now. I

Yeah, I saw that. I'm pretty sure the plane we are getting is a 350, but it's brand new so maybe a 360. It's another contractor right down the street from us we are chartering it from, he just got it to replace a Citation. I have to check in with the operator in a couple days so I'll be finding out anyway.

Yeah, I saw that. I'm pretty sure the plane we are getting is a 350, but it's brand new so maybe a 360. It's another contractor right down the street from us we are chartering it from, he just got it to replace a Citation. I have to check in with the operator in a couple days so I'll be finding out anyway.

I bet it’s a 350. Line is probably pretty long for a 360.

• Hook 'Em 1

Pilot for the dude that owns Mercedes and Infiniti and whatever else in austin was a customer of mine a while back.

Anyway, he use to fly the guy all the time to aspen (vacation home) in their Cheyenne I think it was. He came in one day and they had gotten a new KA 300. He told me something like “now i don’t have to shit my britches every time we take off from aspen”.

Lol

• Like 1

PC-12 fan here over the king air planes.

The twin prop planes have always scared me. My check ride guy died on takeoff doing a twin cert. Taking off a v rolled it. You can find it on the internet, it was in little Rock in 2015ish

The twin prop planes have always scared me. My check ride guy died on takeoff doing a twin cert. Taking off a v rolled it. You can find it on the internet, it was in little Rock in 2015ish

PC-12’s are great.

They ain’t no King Air.

That was a 310. I’m looking for the accident report.

13 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Like the 350 in Addison not too long ago. Terrible videos of that one too. 

11 hours ago, Lat22 said:
Like the 350 in Addison not too long ago. Terrible videos of that one too. 

Didn't know that accident rolled. Heard it hit a hangar and that was it.

edit: I do recall that it rolled now, I was thinking of a different airport crash a few years back.

Edited by markstanco

17 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

Left hand power lever rolled back on takeoff up in Addison. 

Wow.  Really?  I watch lots of aviation videos on the youtube (non pilot here) and noticed that lots of people keep their hands on the throttle levers on takeoff.  I guess that's why. 

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, markstanco said:
7 hours ago, dcbc said:
Citation II now arriving in Lufkin at Gate 1, Gate 2, Gate 3.
Apparently, brakes failed.  Looks like everyone walked away.  So good landing.  Sorry about the plane.
https://www.kltv.com/2020/12/02/plane-crashes-landing-angelina-county-airport/

Did the fuel crew in Lufkin FU again?

I don't think he ran out of fuel.  It was an aggy landing.  He ran out of runway.

I used to fly private pretty regularly. Hawkers, G5s every so often, but King Airs mostly. Love the King Air for everyday use. The Hawkers and G5 were obviously nicer and faster but also more of an ordeal to use. 
I can fly in a 50 year old C150 with no worries. But if I get in to a 2020 brand new king air, I would be on edge over a Vmc roll.

My faa check ride guy died a few years later on that. F twin spinners. Not a fan.

27 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Pilot jokes.

Some dipshit about 5 years ago put jet-a in a gasoline cessna. He took off and had to land on highway 59 for engine failure.

Ah, I hadn't heard about that one.  My dad did the private pilot thing for about 40 years/10,000 hours.  I spent about four years flying when I was a kid.  But these days, I'm just waiting to upgrade the PC for FS2020.  Way cheaper. 

34 minutes ago, markstanco said:

I can fly in a 50 year old C150 with no worries. But if I get in to a 2020 brand new king air, I would be on edge over a Vmc roll.

My faa check ride guy died a few years later on that. F twin spinners. Not a fan.

Guy in our ski club was killed when he lost an engine in a PA30 leaving Amarillo.  No fun dealing with it with the throttle to the firewall and not a lot of altitude. 

12 hours ago, dcbc said:

Guy in our ski club was killed when he lost an engine in a PA30 leaving Amarillo.  No fun dealing with it with the throttle to the firewall and not a lot of altitude. 

I used to fly loaded freight PA31’s regularly out of Pampa, and occasionally out of Borger and Amarillo. I was never comforted with the knowledge that it would not fly for very long on one engine at those weights and density altitudes. Same with icy conditions in the winter.

1 minute ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I used to fly loaded freight PA31’s regularly out of Pampa, and occasionally out of Borger and Amarillo. I was never comforted with the knowledge that it would not fly for very long on one engine at those weights and density altitudes. Same with icy conditions in the winter.

It flew for a short while.  He was circling back to the airport when it did a Peter Pan into a trailer park.  I don't know too many details other than he survived the crash long enough to hand the first guy to come upon the wreckage his cell phone and ask him to call his wife.  Sad ending for a good dude, for sure.  He'd been flying for a long time and I'd be willing to bet he had practiced the losing an engine on departure scenario.  But when it actually happened, he wasn't able to make it back. 

Just now, dcbc said:

It flew for a short while.  He was circling back to the airport when it did a Peter Pan into a trailer park.  I don't know too many details other than he survived the crash long enough to hand the first guy to come upon the wreckage his cell phone and ask him to call his wife.  Sad ending for a good dude, for sure.  He'd been flying for a long time and I'd be willing to bet he had practiced the losing an engine on departure scenario.  But when it actually happened, he wasn't able to make it back. 

Those "impossible turns" will get you every time.  Put it on the ground.  It's not like there is a shortage of flat places near AMA.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

I don’t know a lot about a twin Comanche, but it’s probably not going to fly single engine very far either. And then especially not when launching out of Amarillo at any kind of weight, and worse if it were summer time. 

The other poster is right. Probably have to accept nearly straight ahead and a bent plane.

I was lucky in Pampa that there were fields for miles, a long straight access road running South several miles into town and an abandoned WW2 airstrip south of the city.  In other words, it had crossed my mind. 

Terrible either way.

A small plane crash-landed on I-35 in my neighborhood (just north of Minneapolis) last night.

https://www.startribune.com/witness-plane-that-landed-on-i-35w-in-arden-hills-was-flying-way-too-low/573277671/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAiX3YRI_k4&feature=emb_title&ab_channel=AssociatedPress

Edited by TexasHooch