The Airplane Fanatic Thread

Hornsareus

MINNEAPOLIS — The pilot of a small plane that made an emergency landing on a Minnesota interstate Wednesday has been identified as an award-winning member of the U.S. aerobatics flying team.

The single-engine Bellanca Viking plane landed and hit a vehicle, temporarily closing part of the highway Wednesday night in the St. Paul suburb of Arden Hills, officials said. Two people were on board, KMSP-TV reported, and authorities said no injuries were reported.

The pilot was identified as 52-year-old Craig Gifford, a Minneapolis resident and competitive aerobatic pilot, a sport that involves flying aircraft in a series of maneuvers. Experimental Aircraft Association spokesman Dick Knapinski said Gifford represented the United States in international competition in 2017 and 2019 on the Unlimited Aerobatic Team, which took home the bronze medal at the world championships in South Africa in 2017.

Well I guess if I have to share the road with a pilot in an airplane, it might as well be this guy:

Pilots-Craig-Gifford.jpg?itok=ppYE-1Ld

2 hours ago, markstanco said:

My A&P buddy said the same thing.  The owner of that plane was supposedly a by the book checklist guy, but I guess he didnt notice the 6 foot sticker that said JET-A on the side of the truck. 

A previous employer cooked 4 Garret TPE 331’s when some goof filled the alcohol water injection tank with Jet A. 

Also, don’t care...made afterburning turboprop. 

Finished XC solo #3 today. Did New Braunfels — Hondo— Gillespie County— New Braunfels.

Up to this point I never had a strong like/dislike of uncontrolled airports but today was a bit weird. Landed on 35R at Hondo and had nobody else on the CTAF, total ghost town or so I thought. As I taxi’d back and lined up for takeoff, some guy took off on Rwy 8 with no radio call right as I pushed the throttle all the way in for takeoff. Winds were at 320 but mostly calm so I’m not sure what he was up to, 35R/17L is the main strip. Double checked I had the right frequency, right ATIS for the weather. If I had been 10 seconds quicker I feel like it would’ve been a disaster. If the guy didn’t want to talk on the frequency he could’ve at least listened, right? My CFI tried to keep my spirits up when I got back and he just chalked it up to people being dumbasses with no tower to guide them.

Gillespie had a good deal of traffic for an uncontrolled airport as well. Coming from Hondo it lined up close enough to enter on a base for 32L rather than entering the pattern midfield. I announced I was 5 miles out for the base and then 2, but didn’t feel confident about what I felt was “cutting” into the pattern when there are 3-4 others in it as well. It worked out, but I’d like to be more comfortable on what call I should make or if there’s a better way to come in with that amount of traffic.

Edited by StassneyHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Congrats on the solo XC. Nothing wrong with entering on the base if you’ve judged there’s plenty of room and you broadcast your intentions.  It’s one of those things that might be the right thing to do one day and the wrong thing to do the next day. Total judgment call.  

On the traffic at an uncontrolled field, it’s just something you have to be alert for. It would’ve been better if he was broadcasting but in the end despite all the tools we have for separation it ultimately comes down to see and avoid as the final safety net. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, markstanco said:

My A&P buddy said the same thing.  The owner of that plane was supposedly a by the book checklist guy, but I guess he didnt notice the 6 foot sticker that said JET-A on the side of the truck. 

A good friend had a 421 that we flew together on.  He was good about paying attention to the fuel.  He later had a turbo 425 -- Jet A all the way!

Finished XC solo #3 today. Did New Braunfels — Hondo— Gillespie County— New Braunfels.
Up to this point I never had a strong like/dislike of uncontrolled airports but today was a bit weird. Landed on 35R at Hondo and had nobody else on the CTAF, total ghost town or so I thought. As I taxi’d back and lined up for takeoff, some guy took off on Rwy 8 with no radio call right as I pushed the throttle all the way in for takeoff. Winds were at 320 but mostly calm so I’m not sure what he was up to, 35R/17L is the main strip. Double checked I had the right frequency, right ATIS for the weather. If I had been 10 seconds quicker I feel like it would’ve been a disaster. If the guy didn’t want to talk on the frequency he could’ve at least listened, right? My CFI tried to keep my spirits up when I got back and he just chalked it up to people being dumbasses with no tower to guide them.
Gillespie had a good deal of traffic for an uncontrolled airport as well. Coming from Hondo it lined up close enough to enter on a base for 32L rather than entering the pattern midfield. I announced I was 5 miles out for the base and then 2, but didn’t feel confident about what I felt was “cutting” into the pattern when there are 3-4 others in it as well. It worked out, but I’d like to be more comfortable on what call I should make or if there’s a better way to come in with that amount of traffic.
Won't be your last with tards not using the radio. In knly 5 years you will be able to tell 30 minutes of stories.@DaysOff and others could tell you days worth of stories im sure.

It is possible that the other plane was on the wrong frequency, I’ve heard some mighty fine pattern calls on guard, the radio was broken or there was no radio installed. I’ve had more than one crop duster try to end it all in spectacular fashion because he had no radio and landed in the manner most convenient to him. 

On 12/4/2020 at 5:45 PM, StassneyHorn said:

Just let your nuts hang and report initial.

• Haha 1

Won't be your last with tards not using the radio. In knly 5 years you will be able to tell 30 minutes of stories.[mention=162]DaysOff[/mention] and others could tell you days worth of stories im sure.

Like driving, assume everyone around you including people in your cockpit are trying to kill you.

There are old pilots or bold pilots, but not old and bold pilots.

Remember these two rules and you should live long and prosper.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/2/2020 at 1:53 PM, dcbc said:

Citation II now arriving in Lufkin at Gate 1, Gate 2, Gate 3.

Apparently, brakes failed.  Looks like everyone walked away.  So good landing.  Sorry about the plane.

https://www.kltv.com/2020/12/02/plane-crashes-landing-angelina-county-airport/

I just had lunch with Dade's brother and forgot to even ask him about this.  I guess if you're going to have a mishap this is the good kind.

Any of you have experience with American Flyers in Addison and care to share? Haven’t checked them out yet but I liked the info pack I’ve been looking at (doesn’t everybody?) how long they’ve been in business, and what seems to be a better emphasis on training with a simulator beforehand.

Was looking at picking up Commercial with Instrument elsewhere. Was looking at them, Coast Flight, and CTI (Memphis, not Fort L). Was gonna do a road trip to tour the three places. Already saw Coast flight in San Marcos but figured I’d drop by in Dallas as I am aiming for somewhere with a lower cost of living than my current situation in Austin.

9 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

Any of you have experience with American Flyers in Addison and care to share? Haven’t checked them out yet but I liked the info pack I’ve been looking at (doesn’t everybody?) how long they’ve been in business, and what seems to be a better emphasis on training with a simulator beforehand.

Was looking at picking up Commercial with Instrument elsewhere. Was looking at them, Coast Flight, and CTI (Memphis, not Fort L). Was gonna do a road trip to tour the three places. Already saw Coast flight in San Marcos but figured I’d drop by in Dallas as I am aiming for somewhere with a lower cost of living than my current situation in Austin.

They've been around forever.  I don't have any first hand knowledge of them but they're a pretty big outfit nationwide and they have probably the best CFI renewal software.  Back when I was working at Addison Airport during summers in college, there was a really hot instructor that worked there so it'll always have a special place in my heart.

38 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Anyone recognize this one?

8BFA9571-629B-48CE-B6FF-3732757F8C83.jpeg

59 minutes ago, Assman said:

They've been around forever.  I don't have any first hand knowledge of them but they're a pretty big outfit nationwide and they have probably the best CFI renewal software.  Back when I was working at Addison Airport during summers in college, there was a really hot instructor that worked there so it'll always have a special place in my heart.

You ever wonder how many steam engines were raided to fill out the instrument panels of our B-52 fleet?

85-year old ex-Marine. 

After years without a plane, Earl Kirkpatrick got another about seven years ago, right before his wife's death: the kit for the Sonex he was flying Saturday. 

He rented a hangar at Spinks Airport in Burleson, just east of Interstate 35W, and spent the next seven years assembling the kit. Forrest got to pick the color: blue. 

The plane took longer to build than he thought, so Earl Kirkpatrick bought a Mooney aircraft so he could continue to fly while he worked on the Sonex, Forrest Kirkpatrick said. 

Before he took off Saturday, Earl handed his son a radio so Forrest could hear him talking to the tower. 

"It was the very first flight of his plane and he was really excited," Forrest said. 

His father flew north and got almost out of site before turning around. Forrest said he heard him say on the radio that he was losing altitude and would head back to the airport. 

A voice from the tower said that they could see smoke coming from the engine. 

"I heard him say, a little bit after that, I don't think I'm going to make it back to the airport," Forrest said. "That's when I took off trying to find him."

After some searching, Forrest came across the crash scene on Renfro. First responders were already there. A stranger who had arrived right after the plane went down had used a stick to remove some powerlines from the plane so Earl would not be electrocuted, he said. 

He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Full article

Sheesh, rough couple days in North Texas. 

Two people were killed when a four-passenger plane crashed near Highway 360 and Mayfield Road in Grand Prairie on Monday afternoon.

The identities of the two people who died have not been released.

Fire Chief Robert Fite said the plane took off from the Grand Prairie airport around 2:45 p.m. and police received reports of the crash at 2:55 p.m., officials said.

When police and fire crews responded 3 minutes later, they found the plane fully involved in a fire.

Witnesses told police the plane hit a telephone pole then struggled for about 500 feet, hitting the concrete multiple times and a truck before coming to rest in a Sonic parking lot, where it caught fire.

The person in the truck was taken to the hospital as a precaution, officials said. No other injuries were reported on the ground.

The plane is based out of Denton, Fite said. He said they were working to secure flight information to determine how many people were on board.

The Federal Aviation Administration and National Transportation Safety Board will investigate the crash, Grand Prairie officials said.

The scene will remain active for the investigation for quite a while, Fite said.

The Grand Prairie Fire Department responded to the scene. Arlington officials said they were helping with traffic control in the area.

spacer.png

Do any of you all know of a way to access the weather data for an airport? 

We live pretty close to ORD, and I bought the boy a kestrel box (badass little birds!) for Christmas, and among other mounting location considerations, it's supposed to face away from the prevailing wind direction. 

Wind direction seems highly variable to me, so I was hoping to either take a look at the ORD weather records, or else get in touch with someone there who might be able to help me figure that out, including whether the most "typical" prevailing direction tends to change during different seasons. 

Thanks! 

59 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

This might work and you might be able to get closer. https://www.wunderground.com/history/daily/KORD/date/2020-12-27

Cool - I'll give that a closer look from a non-mobile. Hard to get too far from my phone... 

Any other ideas for how to get weather data from an airport? 

3 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Do any of you all know of a way to access the weather data for an airport? 

We live pretty close to ORD, and I bought the boy a kestrel box (badass little birds!) for Christmas, and among other mounting location considerations, it's supposed to face away from the prevailing wind direction. 

Wind direction seems highly variable to me, so I was hoping to either take a look at the ORD weather records, or else get in touch with someone there who might be able to help me figure that out, including whether the most "typical" prevailing direction tends to change during different seasons. 

Thanks! 

Chicago can kind of be all over the place but westerly would be a pretty good guess.  ORD lands west more than east. 

An iPhone app called AeroWeather will give you current METARs and TAFs. METAR for current conditions and TAFs for forecasts.  Select “decoded” if you don’t speak euro pilot secret code.  That’ll be something you can keep an eye for a while but I don’t think it will give you historical data.

Edited by Your Mom
  • Hook 'Em 1