Anyone attended a late night show (or other live) taping?

52-80

Easy to win the ticket raffle?

Was it entertaining ? Or boring with retakes, pauses, and otherwise without post-production slickness?

We're considering going to a Jimmy Kimmel or Seth Meyer taping.  Or any other that runs in New York, actually.  Hell, maybe even a Rachael Ray or Bobby flay

I went to a Letterman taping about 4 years ago.  If you can get in, it definitely is worth it.  It's interesting to see how the sausage is made and there weren't a lot of break.  It felt like it only took an hour.  Getting tickets is the hard part.  Start early and be persistent is about the only advice I can give you.  

kimmel films in la.  i believe meyers is at 30rock.

otherwise, yes, i've been to several - both late night and sitcom live tapings.  

with a sitcom, it takes about 4 hours, no phones, and is pretty boring,  i would only do this if you were a big fan of the show you're seeing.  most film in la (not sure if you're gonna be in nyc or if this is a general question).

a late night show tries to stay pretty true to their hour long parameters, so it's more entertaining to check out, especially if the guests are good.

if you want to pm me or offer more details here, i can probably provide better guidance.

meant to say Fallon.  

I saw quickly on some of the websites, the main means to acquire tickets is checking on websites when it hits the release dates.  so you dont need to line up in person though some tickets are reserved for that also

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

meant to say Fallon.  

I saw quickly on some of the websites, the main means to acquire tickets is checking on websites when it hits the release dates.  so you dont need to line up in person though some tickets are reserved for that also

Fallon is an extremely hard ticket to get. You put your name in for a certain date and tell them your reason. Then they let you know if you made the cut. 

I would guess some of the less popular/well known shows it would be a hell of a lot easier to get tickets to. A friend of my wife has gone to Rachel Ray and Regis/Seacrest and Kelly multiple times.  

Back in the mid 90's on a trip to LA I went for one of the random sitcom tapings which were much more common then. Watched them tape an episode of Coach. As some have said, it takes 3-4 hours to tape a 30 minute sitcom, but the coolest thing about this particular taping was Jerry Van Dyke came out and spent a lot of time riffing with the crowd. I never realized how talented that guy was until watching him just interact with the crowd between takes. He was the only one of the actors that did that but was pretty damn funny. 

Not sure how much of that goes on today, but the sitcom actors back in the 80's and 90's were much more comfortable working in front of a live studio audience and some, like Jerry, really fed off of interacting with the crowd. Would have loved to have gone to a Seinfeld taping. 

Went to Letterman.  You had to go in person the morning of to get tix.  They had a sort of process where they don’t tell you what is up regarding tix.  They asked me one question about what my favorite letterman bit was, then told me that I was in some group.  

I surmised they were looking at me to determine if I looked right for the audience shot and based on giving a real answer to the question about my favorite bit that I was an actual fan to give them some assurance I’d laugh and clap during the recording. I was 28 or so at the time and was dressed kind of stylish, so they put me in the group for the first two rows.  I noticed weirdos with gauged ears sat way back.   (Not a super lame humblebrag, just trying to give advice on how to get good tix. Try to look like what they will want to show on the camera)  

The episode was Dave chatting with Robin Williams just post heart surgery. Very enjoyable.  No reshoots or anything.  1 hour for a 1 hour show.  I think actually a little less because than the actual airing time because it seemed like they just took 1 minute for the commercial break. 

Edited by SuingToGetAMessageBoard?

While on a family vacation in LA,  Sister and Mother got suckered into tickets for some morning show on ABC hosted by 2 chicks(whose names escape me) remember Rip Taylor being one of the guests.   Have thought about getting tickets for Beat Bobby Flay, fan of his shows. 

Saw the "Daily Show" with John Stewart once.  I'd echo what other people said in that I was surprised how quick and efficient it was.  Total taping was one take and maybe 40 minutes and done in the exact same order the show runs.

He also did a comedy routine before taping as a kind of a warm up.

Really enjoyed it.

Buddy of mine and I saw a taping of Late Night with Conan O'Brien back in 1998. Pretty sure we just requested tickets for the general dates we were going to be in NYC and got picked. Guests were pretty shitty. I think somebody must've cancelled because we got Darrell Hammond from SNL as the main guest. Rufus Wainwright was the musical guest. It took right about an hour IIRC. They showed us a clip of compiled bits that they were going to use for an anniversary show off-air at the very end and it was damn funny.

20 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Buddy of mine and I saw a taping of Late Night with Conan O'Brien back in 1998. Pretty sure we just requested tickets for the general dates we were going to be in NYC and got picked. Guests were pretty shitty. I think somebody must've cancelled because we got Darrell Hammond from SNL as the main guest. Rufus Wainwright was the musical guest. It took right about an hour IIRC. They showed us a clip of compiled bits that they were going to use for an anniversary show off-air at the very end and it was damn funny.

that is pretty bad.  even at thanksgiving dinner in his own house the conversation wouldn't be directed  at darrell hammond.