San Antonio

TexasHooch

On 8/1/2021 at 9:47 PM, Eggo said:

Thompson Hotel is also brand new on the river. We almost bought a condo there but didn't want to share amenities with hotel guests. Supposedly the rooftop restaurant is great. 

$450 a night seems steep for what it is.  how much were the condos?

On 8/1/2021 at 9:47 PM, Eggo said:

We almost bought a condo there but didn't want to share amenities with hotel guests.

I'm actually planning to move downtown in 3 years once my son is off to college.   By then it will just be me and my daughter so a 2 bdr with an office is doable.   Lots of options coming on line esp south of downtown.

23 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

did they sell out?

I did a hardhat tour of the construction site last spring and the sales lady told us at the time that all but half a dozen were under contract. Now that it's complete, I've heard rumors that that was just their sales tactic and it's a bit under occupied. 

They were also trying to pitch the lock-and-leave utility of the space, useful for rich country folks who wanted to come to the big city for the weekend to catch a show at the Tobin Center and leave on Sunday. If that's how they sold it, it's probably empty most of the time anyway. 

For a couple in their 30s, it didn't really appeal to us. 

2 minutes ago, midtown said:

I'm actually planning to move downtown in 3 years once my son is off to college.   By then it will just be me and my daughter so a 2 bdr with an office is doable.   Lots of options coming on line esp south of downtown.

We live in Southtown now. Much better options for 1/3 the cost. 

Edit: username does not check out

Edited by Eggo

4 minutes ago, Eggo said:

We live in Southtown now. Much better options for 1/3 the cost. 

Edit: username does not check out

I looked a 3 story house off of South Presa.  Its since been pulled off the market.  I assume its because the realtor and I found puddles of standing water.   The area is still a bit raw but its coming south of Lavaca and East of downtown is starting to move.   There are also some nice places on Clay.  I don't want a yard anymore.  I want something I can lock up from May to September and go to Costa Rica for 4 months.  Might have to change my username to Southoflavaca

Edited by midtown

1 minute ago, midtown said:

I looked a 3 story house off of South Presa.  Its since been pulled off the market.  I assume its because the realtor and I found puddles of standing water.   The area is still a bit raw but its coming south of Lavaca.  There are also some nice places on Clay.  I don't want a yard anymore.  I want something I can lock up from May to September and go to Costa Rica for 4 months.  Might have to change my username to Southoflavaca

PM if you want more specifics where we are. Don't want the creepers on this site violating my no-nos

5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

i love that southtown area 

It's rapidly changing with new apartment complexes popping up by the day. San Pedro Creek construction is well under way and we're still being promised a re-development of Lonestar Brewery. La Fruteria and Camp Outpost are headlining the hip SoFlo restaurant scene. It's exciting and exhausting to live in the middle of it. 

Fwiw my favorite real Mexican food in the area is is La Parrilla Azteca. 

Edited by Eggo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That guisada puffy was $4.50 a-la-carte.  I hesitated b/c of that, but it's a big, stuffed full, mf'er and more than worth that price.  They also do chicken and beef fajita puffies.  First place I've ever found w/those menu options.

Taco House is now on my "Once a week minimum" list.

I may only have a dozen or so weeks left due to that decision, but I'm at peace with that.

15 hours ago, Cajun said:

That guisada puffy was $4.50 a-la-carte.  I hesitated b/c of that, but it's a big, stuffed full, mf'er and more than worth that price.  They also do chicken and beef fajita puffies.  First place I've ever found w/those menu options.

Taco House is now on my "Once a week minimum" list.

I may only have a dozen or so weeks left due to that decision, but I'm at peace with that.

I pick up Taco House almost every Saturday morning but I never knew that puffy guisada existed. I've never even ordered their guisada before. It's definitely genius, but I'm afraid it's going to soak through the puffy by the time I get home. You definitely want to throw that one down first. How much time do you think you have before it turns into a complete mess? And how is the quality of the carne? Lots of places give you some really funky gristle texture guisada.

You don’t know the carne guisada struggle until you’ve moved away from SA. The worst carne guisada, gristle included, in SA is better than the best anywhere else. It’s so weird how a dish can be so different away from SA. I’ve ordered carne guisada and had a “soup” delivered to me table as well as just chunks of meat with no gravy delivered. I would kill for a solid carne guisada within 20 minutes of my house.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I pick up Taco House almost every Saturday morning but I never knew that puffy guisada existed. I've never even ordered their guisada before. It's definitely genius, but I'm afraid it's going to soak through the puffy by the time I get home. You definitely want to throw that one down first. How much time do you think you have before it turns into a complete mess? And how is the quality of the carne? Lots of places give you some really funky gristle texture guisada.

No gristle and affirmative on eating it first.  The guisada is legit.  Just try one and go from there.

• Drool 1

Yesterday was so good that I met a friend back at Taco House for lunch today.  I had to try the beef fajita puffy.  Honest take - it was good, but not great.  Their fajita meat is more stewed than charred and I don't dig on that.  The guisada puffy blows that one away.  So does the basic plain ole taco meat puffy.

Got the nachos again too because, well, they kick all kinds of ass...

35F7EDE5-13B5-463E-AD2C-520346BA9872.jpeEED87268-019C-4CB8-BD79-14229D688DB3.jpe56E896EE-02E4-4519-AD62-6B08DF766434.jpe

• Like 3

You don’t know the carne guisada struggle until you’ve moved away from SA. The worst carne guisada, gristle included, in SA is better than the best anywhere else. It’s so weird how a dish can be so different away from SA. I’ve ordered carne guisada and had a “soup” delivered to me table as well as just chunks of meat with no gravy delivered. I would kill for a solid carne guisada within 20 minutes of my house.

Dude. This is all you need. Well, that and some beef and water. It is absolutely legit San Antonio style carne guisada.

b9b1c5249699aa4e45855433476d79ac.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just had lunch at Sylvia's, which is the former Taco Riendo. Vero's special - two enchiladas and a puffy, rice y beans. In honor of @Cajun, when she asked me if I wanted beef or chicken on the puffy, I went with carne guisada. The waitress gave a double take, but put the order in anyway.  It was, not surprisingly, awesome.

dSplz-OaEOSS6ZZoSUykipDRql_QAbQrYjXjLdAOrE5Clz7t2R6b5pih0EK10wH_XfhzRGiQFl1_Z8wbA8aPQO4BRYESXGHQFD48x9cYmOV2fQvNQFclrdNpnlvShouyYuDFwKuLPtKCNTBHxh3TWRppyJVTZVq9mYsshlAM3ZVJcVhRT8MLQpz-L89Yho5KNvGinS6a6CY5zvTTePPJ-WMYYaMBopduNDpeBzbHzK1MagjnYuWODJgLMLfDFs6Ss7qpVo9DO64x0MX7Gv1zyZmC2fYI5WVL1Bh_jBWh9bnkL_-AaXseUccqprKaCcUemJvPo8v9N8tO4BOGpLWNYD5G6pO9fZMDWTKBYCnVVhX98GYTGR7stk5hTtptAaDKBeADrAi0RiNpU6vxGMdalQOVaDjbV8Y8W02ywXC3gho1-A8y6q3_mLGNdw7jYs3AebCK9sM9TEh8txO8KS1CHW6y1zR6C3t_aRh3KTNw1zAQ3N_O362s_5k7jjkOQshIA8Ve71GS1oMNB2DOtPraJdq0pFykIiiOsrrWf8YgasvDnJcdAMgT74wNLTK3e_-cpxArxwR2bOwK9RqBflHv0h0G6s9xgUbYmk4YYdrd-1w83Nn95KLJQVDNgXaUNhoTAjNRRG00Ky8GcZh00IdJWJSMdZOsmlGyC2rcalgXNRH9NWOzPeEv_GQLkOU1ci5D7XEJHJvUM8Ukv9X7RZ1TDJgxMA=s908-no?authuser=0

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Just had lunch at Sylvia's, which is the former Taco Riendo. Vero's special - two enchiladas and a puffy, rice y beans. In honor of @Cajun, when she asked me if I wanted beef or chicken on the puffy, I went with carne guisada. The waitress gave a double take, but put the order in anyway.  It was, not surprisingly, awesome.

dSplz-OaEOSS6ZZoSUykipDRql_QAbQrYjXjLdAOrE5Clz7t2R6b5pih0EK10wH_XfhzRGiQFl1_Z8wbA8aPQO4BRYESXGHQFD48x9cYmOV2fQvNQFclrdNpnlvShouyYuDFwKuLPtKCNTBHxh3TWRppyJVTZVq9mYsshlAM3ZVJcVhRT8MLQpz-L89Yho5KNvGinS6a6CY5zvTTePPJ-WMYYaMBopduNDpeBzbHzK1MagjnYuWODJgLMLfDFs6Ss7qpVo9DO64x0MX7Gv1zyZmC2fYI5WVL1Bh_jBWh9bnkL_-AaXseUccqprKaCcUemJvPo8v9N8tO4BOGpLWNYD5G6pO9fZMDWTKBYCnVVhX98GYTGR7stk5hTtptAaDKBeADrAi0RiNpU6vxGMdalQOVaDjbV8Y8W02ywXC3gho1-A8y6q3_mLGNdw7jYs3AebCK9sM9TEh8txO8KS1CHW6y1zR6C3t_aRh3KTNw1zAQ3N_O362s_5k7jjkOQshIA8Ve71GS1oMNB2DOtPraJdq0pFykIiiOsrrWf8YgasvDnJcdAMgT74wNLTK3e_-cpxArxwR2bOwK9RqBflHv0h0G6s9xgUbYmk4YYdrd-1w83Nn95KLJQVDNgXaUNhoTAjNRRG00Ky8GcZh00IdJWJSMdZOsmlGyC2rcalgXNRH9NWOzPeEv_GQLkOU1ci5D7XEJHJvUM8Ukv9X7RZ1TDJgxMA=s908-no?authuser=0

Sylvia’s is the best guisada around imo

By the way... this thread is responsible for fucking up my Intermittent Fasting attempt. I was good for about 7 days, saw the Taco House Nachos while about to fall asleep ( why I clicked on Food and Travel, I don't know), and suddenly got motivated to slice up some Tillamook and carefully arrange on a platter of chips.... with Jalapenos. 

Thanks Cajun.  I will remain "stocky" for a while 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1