San Antonio

TexasHooch

On 2/12/2022 at 11:21 PM, Helobious said:

I partially grew up in SA and live here now. I think generally if you want to know a lot of good Mexican food spots the key is to ask a local white person. I’ve never been to most of the places that get mentioned on here and don’t know many who have. A lot of hispanics mostly will just go to chain restaurants because of the prices, and if we want mexican food we can usually make it almost as good or better at home. My family worshipped Applebees growing up. 

1) Is the building painted a bright color? If Yes, proceed to question 2.

2) Is there pictures of the food items on the windows? If yes, proceed to question 3.

3) When you walk in do you see a lot of white people? If no, proceed to question 4.

4) Is the menu written in English and Spanish? If yes, eat there.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

To be fair...I kinda want to go to Jim's just for the nostalgia of it from growing up...used to stop there every once in a while with my Dad.  May have to do that next time I'm up there visiting him at Medina Lake.

I had the same idea several years ago.   It’s shit.  Or I should say it is no better or worse than Denny’s, or ihop or whatever.  I left thinking “why did my grandparents love this place?”  But they also loved lubys.  

Edited by dingleberryswitzer

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

My favorite dish there is the lobster enchiladas. 

They're amazing. The tortilla soup is maybe the best I've ever had. My only petty complaint about the one on 1604 is that the acoustics of that place when full are almost ear shattering. It's like eating inside a bass drum.

10 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I had the same idea several years ago.   It’s shit.  Or I should say it is no better or worse than Denny’s, or ihop or whatever.  I left thinking “why did my grandparents love this place?”  But they also loved lubys.  

lol Jim's and Lubys is old people cuisine but like everyone else I have a lot of good memories eating at both with the olds.

Longhorn Cafe has really good CFS. It’s a huge portion and with two sides. Their burgers are also damn good, especially if you get onion rings and throw a couple on top. 

I’ve been in SA for 11 years now, always living on the north side, and I keep going back to Longhorn Cafe again and again.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

Looking for the ‘best’ of anything is kind of pointless. Especially when there are many very good options for a thing. Below is Josephine St, and they make a very good CFS.

61AF2BF9-3580-493D-A7F3-4565671FEA0C.jpeg

How does a restaurant serve CFS, and not serve mashed potatoes with it? That's absurd. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Yev Kassem said:

Longhorn Cafe has really good CFS. It’s a huge portion and with two sides. Their burgers are also damn good, especially if you get onion rings and throw a couple on top. 

I’ve been in SA for 11 years now, always living on the north side, and I keep going back to Longhorn Cafe again and again.  

That place has good food. Solid pricing 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/12/2022 at 11:17 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Probably. But honestly the only thing I would miss is Vietnamese. SA has legit bbq and no one can question its Tex Mex and Mexican food.

Where are you going for BBQ? Only legit places seem to 2M and Pinkertons. Two Bros is hit or miss and the only other decent spot I’ve found.

Where are you going for BBQ? Only legit places seem to 2M and Pinkertons. Two Bros is hit or miss and the only other decent spot I’ve found.

You need more than those two? I mean, when I am in Houston, I would say 90% of my bbq eating is at Truth and J Bar M (and Tejas if you consider it Houston). If it was more than that I might go crazy trying to figure out who to give my business too. Although Tejas is on warning because they are at $34 lbs and some other lame cloak room type shit I find annoying.

Anyways, you also have Burnt Bean just a short drive away in Seguin too.

I just saw this place, someone over there should investigate:

https://instagram.com/reesebrosbbq?utm_medium=copy_link

2 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

You need more than those two? I mean, when I am in Houston, I would say 90% of my bbq eating is at Truth and J Bar M (and Tejas if you consider it Houston). If it was more than that I might go crazy trying to figure out who to give my business too. Although Tejas is on warning because they are at $34 lbs and some other lame cloak room type shit I find annoying.

Anyways, you also have Burnt Bean just a short drive away in Seguin too.

They are just both a bit inconvenient for me as Pinkertons is downtown and 2M is damn near in China Grove. Still haven’t made my way to Burnt Bean but I need to head that way

1 minute ago, Patricio Swayze said:

It is…at times. Just wildly inconsistent between locations. Hell, even the one by me can’t get it right from one week to the next. But when they are on, it’s just fine. Nothing fantastic but certainly edible.

I think most people simply do not understand how difficult it is to mass produce a food item, especially with something as finicky as BBQ.  

16 minutes ago, midtown said:

I think most people simply do not understand how difficult it is to mass produce a food item, especially with something as finicky as BBQ.  

Especially restaurants that can't just do what places like Snow's or Franklin's where they only serve until they're sold out - and they have to serve until some arbitrary time that they've chosen to close the restaurant...

2 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I understand. But there shouldn’t be THAT much variation at the same location.

I don't go to Rudys much but I assume they have a different pit guy/gal pretty much every day.   Someone doesn't show up, late, isn't paying attention?   Who knows.

It’s all about the “pit master” on the schedule. It college I worked at the 360 location. There were 4 guys in charge of the pits. 2 were above average, 1 guy was average and the other guy was complete shit head and never followed the pre determined smoking schedule and guide lines. 

Meat quality and the fire should be pretty consistent, so are the rubs.

One thing that can really throw it off is how long it’s been in the pit behind the registers or steam holders.

• Like 1

It is…at times. Just wildly inconsistent between locations. Hell, even the one by me can’t get it right from one week to the next. But when they are on, it’s just fine. Nothing fantastic but certainly edible.

My problem with their moist is that it is half fat. The brisket itself is good, but you pay a lot of $$ for half of what you pay for to be fat.

On 2/15/2022 at 10:46 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

I just saw this place, someone over there should investigate:

https://instagram.com/reesebrosbbq?utm_medium=copy_link

I tried to eat at Reese Brothers last night. They opened at 5:00 and were sold out of BBQ by the time we got there at 7. Just an FYI for anybody else trying to give it a shot. Get there early, apparently. I may try again next week but their 5:00 Wednesday and noon Saturday/Sunday weekly schedule doesn't afford a ton of opportunity. Hopefully they expand their hours soon.

1 hour ago, miguelito said:

LOVE Schilo's.  I've been going there since I was a kid.  My dad and I went there before walking over to Hemisfair Arena to watch Kareem's last game there.  Bongo Joe was playing outside.

I see you went with the rootbeer and split pea soup.  You know what's up.

The Root Beer is the tits