San Antonio

TexasHooch

Was driving home from work on I-10 East into downtown on Friday afternoon, taking the upper level flyover before it splits into 35 north and 10E/35S. Was doing 65 (cruise control on) in the 60 and an SUV comes flying past, whipping in and out of lanes looking very out of control. Sure enough, fucker can't make the curve and slams into the divider, does a few circles and then gets plowed by a semi truck. I'm trying to get slowed down with hazard lights on when he finally comes to a stop. Other cars who got involved in the wreck pull over and then the dude (Latino, bald, goatee, chubby, white t-shirt) gets out of the SUV and starts sprinting down I-10, probably looking for somewhere to get away. 

Made my way slowly through the wreckage and got home safely, but damn if that wasn't the scariest shit I've ever experienced on the road. See photo for reference. 

20220603_130928.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

So did he get away completely? 

No clue. I wasn't interested in sticking around to find out. 

Edit: oddly enough, there seems to be little to no news coverage about it. 

Edited by Eggo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

What is a good breakfast place near the river walk that isn’t Mi Tierra?

Walking distance? If you can go further there’s a couple good options. 

https://the-haven-southtown-mexican-restaurant-and.business.site/

on presa In Southtown. 

Or this place by Trinity. 

https://www.tacotacosa.com/

• Like 1

On 5/23/2022 at 4:00 AM, phdhorn said:

BTW wedding rehearsal supplied by Hyatt Fajitas in Austin Friday night. If you're still wondering, holy sheet they are still slamming.  Since the 80's;  No dropoff.  Yes, yes they are good.

Just to confirm, this is the place in the Hyatt, correct?  Not some upstart called "Hyatt Fajitas"?  Would be great if true as I consider them the gold standard in fajitas.

23 hours ago, bigbevo76 said:

Just to confirm, this is the place in the Hyatt, correct?  Not some upstart called "Hyatt Fajitas"?  Would be great if true as I consider them the gold standard in fajitas.

Yeah, but it's kinda weird now.  There used to be a bona fide restaurant on the 2nd floor in the Hyatt but they axed it some time back.  Now there really is no restaurant per se in it (kinda unusual).  They still have the bar though, of course.  When you go to the Hyatt, ask to be seated at a table that serves food (not all do, mostly the ones closer), or you can just sit at the bar.  They do have a menu but we asked for the fajitas and they brought them to us.

The fajitas I had were catered for my son's wedding, and my god that was amazing food (even the rice and refried beans).  So wife and I went about 2 weeks later for the sit-down.  They still serve them as they always did (without the "sizzling" stuff they used to put on them).  And I don't know what it is but the meat is so tender and tasty, still like in the 80's.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Updawg said:

I’ll have to try them again. Forgot all about them. Can’t even remember the last time I had them

Yup, at times I remembered them and wondered if they were a thing of the past.  Then we booked my son's rehearsal dinner on Capital Cruises - they use the Hyatt to cater food, and we had the fajitas on the boat.  Got damn they were so good, just as I remembered them 20 years ago.  One thing led to another, and we went there to eat them a 2nd time a little over a week ago.

I have to say that the Hyatt's catered fajita order was spectacular - big soft aluminum pans of meat and great tortillas, rice, beans.  The sit-down was about as good.

9 hours ago, LebongJames said:

How was it? We’ve been wanting to check it out. We like the rest of the restaurants in their group.

I've been there a few times. It's really good. The melted cheese raclette on the bread is pretty fantastic. Honestly, it's worth a trip just for that. 

Not as big a fan of the puff pastry lobster bisque or the onion soup. The branzino is solid. I usually end up getting one of their specials for an entree though. I had pork loin one night that was fantastic.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 1 month later...

We hit up Shiro for anniversary dinner last night.

I thought the food was great. Only thing that didn’t wow me was the Truffle Crab Croquette apptz. It was just ok.

The fish was great. Prices were high. The rolls weren’t THAT over priced ($18-$25). The 7 piece nigiri sampler was $52…..

We did two apptz, two rolls and the nigiri sampler along with a bottle of Chandon Rose and the bill was $200. Not bad at all for special occasion but probably not Thurs night date night occasion.

There were a ton of other things I want to try on the menu, so we will definitely be back.

I did have to laugh at the two chicks next to us who were being a pain in the ass to the waiter and then I hear them order Spicy tuna rolls.

fde0df81606ef82387b8dfc619195269.jpg
f6a34e171d938abb8800c2219b61ce76.jpg
a9b4d3cb69e6a67a1f89a60d3e874c61.jpg
3c7cb7bad7f540bd8e394fe08c9114c6.jpg
47f9fc555af33d15141c2724de116a31.jpg
db9cd648a765304a479c28389b746e5a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 2

56 minutes ago, deadshank said:

How far +/- from I-10 west and the I-35 south intersection?

15 mins.  Everything is San Antonio is 15-20 mins away from anything else.

And I don't know anyone from SA that goes south of town on 10.  Everyone I know goes north on 37 and then back to 10

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 7/31/2022 at 7:07 PM, Mac8111 said:

We hit up Shiro for anniversary dinner last night.

I thought the food was great. Only thing that didn’t wow me was the Truffle Crab Croquette apptz. It was just ok.

The fish was great. Prices were high. The rolls weren’t THAT over priced ($18-$25). The 7 piece nigiri sampler was $52…..

We did two apptz, two rolls and the nigiri sampler along with a bottle of Chandon Rose and the bill was $200. Not bad at all for special occasion but probably not Thurs night date night occasion.

There were a ton of other things I want to try on the menu, so we will definitely be back.

I did have to laugh at the two chicks next to us who were being a pain in the ass to the waiter and then I hear them order Spicy tuna rolls.

fde0df81606ef82387b8dfc619195269.jpg
f6a34e171d938abb8800c2219b61ce76.jpg
a9b4d3cb69e6a67a1f89a60d3e874c61.jpg
3c7cb7bad7f540bd8e394fe08c9114c6.jpg
47f9fc555af33d15141c2724de116a31.jpg
db9cd648a765304a479c28389b746e5a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going for dinner on my birthday based solely off this post. Looking forward to it. 

Lunch right now.  Come to Butthead!
4B9AE9F5-2B3F-4D84-A87D-DEB237E954B8.thumb.jpeg.31e07b7eb712e7051d3c60aa42edcc00.jpeg
I work on Broadway by Lincoln Heights, just a few minutes down the road from the Zitos at Broadway and 410 and have for almost 10 years. Finally tried Zitos for the 1st time a few months ago and quickly realized how stupid I was for depriving myself of those beautiful sandwiches for so damn long, its almost a weekly visit for me now. Best Italian sandwhich I've ever had

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, justinjc7 said:

I work on Broadway by Lincoln Heights, just a few minutes down the road from the Zitos at Broadway and 410 and have for almost 10 years. Finally tried Zitos for the 1st time a few months ago and quickly realized how stupid I was for depriving myself of those beautiful sandwiches for so damn long, its almost a weekly visit for me now. Best Italian sandwhich I've ever had

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Well done senor.  I live on Broadway & Sunset across from Sol Luna, so this hits close to home.

12 hours ago, Cajun said:

Dinner at Barn Door tonight…

0C35BDC5-9859-4539-89D0-1B5B5EE2CBDD.jpeg

00D6D12E-5E01-44B9-A725-0A027C0EE779.gif

Barn Door was so bad the last couple of times I went there that I swore it off.  I haven't been back in a few years. Was it any good? 

We did try The Magpie this weekend though. Really, really good.  Highly recommend. Tiny place --- three 4-tops inside plus seating for six more at the counter, and a few more tables outside.