San Antonio

TexasHooch

1 hour ago, LebongJames said:

Being new to SA and living right on the other side of 1604 what is this Stone Oak crowd? Should I be on a look out for them or am I one living in Hollywood Park and being a member at Sonterra?

Upper-middle class people that confuse themselves for Upper class.

On 2/16/2022 at 9:02 AM, LebongJames said:

Ya I’d rather eat at Rudy’s in NB than either of those locations especially considering their pricing.

Any Rudy's in Texas lays waste to that Cooper's location. (Full disclosure: grew up going to the OG Rudy's in Helotes back in the late 80's/early 90's. I fucking love Rudy's. But, seriously, the Cooper's in NB sucks nuts.)

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Also, old buddy from way back to grade school loves his 'cue as well and swears by the fresh offerings of one of the HEB's in town -- think the one he hits is on 1604, perhaps near intersection with 281.

I stopped at a True BBQ last year after playing a round of golf. I had a few drinks at the bar then ordered a brisket plate. Food and drinks were good and the price was fairly low.

I was shocked to learn that it was an HEB place. I thought it was just someone renting space next to HEB.

On 2/17/2022 at 8:42 AM, JSB said:

Need a recommendation for a steakhouse in San Antonio that is not downtown. I want to avoid the stock show melee downtown, but I haven't been in San Antonio for a nice meal in probably 5-10 years. 

Is there a stock show melee downtown? The event itself is miles from downtown & I’m unaware of anything going on downtown. 

19 hours ago, LebongJames said:

Being new to SA and living right on the other side of 1604 what is this Stone Oak crowd? Should I be on a look out for them or am I one living in Hollywood Park and being a member at Sonterra?

Douchey new money americans & stuck up rich mexican nationals. I mean some of them are nice but definitely not the kind of crowd I’d seek out. 

You’re not one btw, you’re almost a poor in their eyes. One step above an Encino park person. 

On 2/17/2022 at 7:34 PM, LebongJames said:

It’s pretty sterile but generally decent people.  Except there is occasionally weird shit, like at least once a year there’s some crazy murder/suicide/hostage situation 

11 hours ago, C-Man said:

Any Rudy's in Texas lays waste to that Cooper's location. (Full disclosure: grew up going to the OG Rudy's in Helotes back in the late 80's/early 90's. I fucking love Rudy's. But, seriously, the Cooper's in NB sucks nuts.)

OG Rudy's location is in Boerne by the original Macaroni grill(R.I.P.)

11 hours ago, C-Man said:

Also, old buddy from way back to grade school loves his 'cue as well and swears by the fresh offerings of one of the HEB's in town -- think the one he hits is on 1604, perhaps near intersection with 281.

1604 and Bulverde road. Got a buddy of mine who sears by their beef ribs. I have not tried it yet.

2 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Frahlos pizza is pretty great.  Or it was 10 years ago last time I was there

Fralos is still legit. Great patio/outdoor seating and good beer selection.

If you are in the Helotes area, B Daddy's in old town is some damn good Que.

Edited by CoachTex

2 hours ago, CoachTex said:

OG Rudy's location is in Boerne by the original Macaroni grill(R.I.P.)

1604 and Bulverde road. Got a buddy of mine who sears by their beef ribs. I have not tried it yet.

Yeah, I corrected myself. The first Rudy's was -- and still is -- in Leon Springs.

• Hook 'Em 1

That is my HEB and I have not had their beef ribs but everything I have had there is comparable to Smokey Moe’s. Which means I usually only order a baked potato with chopped beef on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 2/12/2022 at 5:38 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

I still need a proper surly review of La Chinita’s. My grandma loved that place.

So I checked in with associates that have worked in that area for years. They all say everything on the menu is above average to very good ( I know, not much of a review). Interesting note: they claim that big stakes card games used to be held there back in the day. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

That is my HEB and I have not had their beef ribs but everything I have had there is comparable to Smokey Moe’s. Which means I usually only order a baked potato with chopped beef on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy shit I had forgotten about how bad smokey Moe's sucks until now

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

So the boy has a soccer match in San Antonio Saturday, and Mrs.LL decides we need to make a weekend of it.  So Friday dinner through Sunday brunch--what am I doing?

My San Antonio bona fides are a little bit rusty.  I moved out in 2003, and haven't spent a lot of time there since.  So I'm going to have some places based on nostalgia--like:

Friday dinner: La Fonda on Main/Rosario's

Saturday lunch: Chris Madrid's/Panchito's/Good Time Charlie's

Saturday dinner: Paesano's

Sunday lunch: Schilo's

But man--there's probably a lot of stuff I'm missing (e.g., the entire Pearl development is new since I was there).  So . . . help!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

So the boy has a soccer match in San Antonio Saturday, and Mrs.LL decides we need to make a weekend of it.  So Friday dinner through Sunday brunch--what am I doing?

My San Antonio bona fides are a little bit rusty.  I moved out in 2003, and haven't spent a lot of time there since.  So I'm going to have some places based on nostalgia--like:

But man--there's probably a lot of stuff I'm missing (e.g., the entire Pearl development is new since I was there).  So . . . help!

Sounds like a damn good plan to me. 

4 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Chris Madrid’s has been through an owner dying and the restaurant burning down. It was a food truck for awhile, but I believe they rebuilt the building by now. Haven’t been myself since but I’ve heard it’s not the same. 

22 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Chris Madrid’s has been through an owner dying and the restaurant burning down. It was a food truck for awhile, but I believe they rebuilt the building by now. Haven’t been myself since but I’ve heard it’s not the same. 

I’ve been a couple times in the last year. It’s the same as I remember it. The group that owns Paloma Blanca in Alamo Heights bought them in 2017.

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

And it's a block from the Esquire--my favorite bar in SAT.

Agreed in The Esquire. 

i’m a Sip loyalist every morning there, too. Always fun to hang out and people watch the crowds at The Starbucks across the street. 

Damn, man…I kinda wanna book a SA trip now. It’s been too long. 

3 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

And it's a block from the Esquire--my favorite bar in SAT.

Love the Esquire. Not sure if you've been there in awhile, but definitely check out the downstairs if it wasn't built out last time you were there. 

Your plan sounds pretty solid to me. I would pass on Good Time Charlie's and you will most likely need reservations for La Fonda on Friday night, especially if the weather is nice.

As far a the Pearl goes, it's definitely worth it to check out Hotel Emma and grab a drink in the bar. Every time I walk in that place I can't believe it's in San Antonio. The rest of the stuff around there is good for a walkabout too. 

Madrid's food is as good as ever, although the last time I was there on a Saturday afternoon they had a god awful singer there blaring out original metal tunes on his electric guitar. It was kind of a fantastic puro San Antonio moment, but holy shit he was unlistenable and LOUD. My wife had to stop me from offering him $20 to go on set break.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Love the Esquire. Not sure if you've been there in awhile, but definitely check out the downstairs if it wasn't built out last time you were there. 

Your plan sounds pretty solid to me. I would pass on Good Time Charlie's and you will most likely need reservations for La Fonda on Friday night, especially if the weather is nice.

As far a the Pearl goes, it's definitely worth it to check out Hotel Emma and grab a drink in the bar. Every time I walk in that place I can't believe it's in San Antonio. The rest of the stuff around there is good for a walkabout too. 

Madrid's food is as good as ever, although the last time I was there on a Saturday afternoon they had a god awful singer there blaring out original metal tunes on his electric guitar. It was kind of a fantastic puro San Antonio moment, but holy shit he was unlistenable and LOUD. My wife had to stop me from offering him $20 to go on set break.

I haven't done the downstairs.  Is that the space that used to be the Italian restaurant (which was really great)?

I think we're going to do La Fonda on Sunday for brunch and go over to Rosario's on Friday.  I haven't been to Rosario's in forever, but I remember them making a damned good margarita.

8 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I haven't done the downstairs.  Is that the space that used to be the Italian restaurant (which was really great)?

I think we're going to do La Fonda on Sunday for brunch and go over to Rosario's on Friday.  I haven't been to Rosario's in forever, but I remember them making a damned good margarita.

No. The Italian place is still there. Used to be Delores Del Rio and now it's Bella (if it survived covid). Really cool and funky place.

I don't think there was anything there below the Esquire previously -- maybe it was storage or a basement? But the downstairs is better than the upstairs, and the upstairs is pretty good. 

Esquire is nice, second the downstairs rec. The hotel Emma bar has great vibes at night too. I also like 1919 at the blue star. I haven’t been yet but the Thompson downtown is supposedly really nice as far as bars go. New big high rise. 

Some puro SA suggestions if that’s your thing: Don Pedro, Nincha’s, Taqueria vallarta, Mad Mack’s Burgers, La Barca, pollos asados norteños, traders village on a Sunday. SA is unique in that it has a ton of crime, but it really doesn’t feel dangerous. Even in the hoods during the day. Hard to explain. 

The Pearl is great on nice days with the farmers market.. Walk around with your drinks and shop

Agree on the Emma. I think Cher called it the best hotel she's ever been in

3rd on downstairs at Esquire also check out Ocho in the Havana. Downstairs bar is super cozy and chic. Chics love thst little gem

One helpful note about the Esquire -- you can make reservations there (for downstairs too) through Yelp. If you go there on a Friday or Saturday night and depending on what time, you may need them if you want a table. 

@midtown is right about the downstairs bar at Havana. Great, great spot. Terrible parking lot. 

3 hours ago, midtown said:

The Pearl is great on nice days with the farmers market.. Walk around with your drinks and shop

Agree on the Emma. I think Cher called it the best hotel she's ever been in

3rd on downstairs at Esquire also check out Ocho in the Havana. Downstairs bar is super cozy and chic. Chics love thst little gem

Good call on the Havana.  That was one of my favorite bars when I lived down there.