San Antonio

TexasHooch

22 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

And it's a block from the Esquire--my favorite bar in SAT.

Also close to the Esquire is a very good new Mexican place called Domingo. I posted pics a page or so back in thread. I don’t believe they take reservations but if you go earlier in the evening shouldn’t be difficult to get in. 

• Fuck You 1

On 1/14/2022 at 1:59 PM, Immaculate Vibes said:

Went for lunch with wife downtown at Domingo. On Riverwalk in the Canopy Hotel which is new at least to me. Very good. Guacamole was chunky and tangy. Tried the three most popular entrees there. We both liked the fish tacos best, short rib quesadillas close 2nd. 

1-EB9563-E-4-F8-A-43-DC-98-E4-108-E841-A

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

18 minutes ago, Gale Snoats said:

At la cantera today and would like to get good puffy tacos / cheese enchiladas. Any suggestions for something relatively close?

Lupe Tortilla?

Yeah--sorry.  I used to live in those apartments that overlooked Fiesta Texas.  But everything out there is new since I lived there.

7 hours ago, Gale Snoats said:

At la cantera today and would like to get good puffy tacos / cheese enchiladas. Any suggestions for something relatively close?

Thats a fairly sterile area.  Very torchys-ish.   I'd seriously consider just making the 20 min drive to a legit spot

So the Boy had a soccer match at 1:00 out on 1604, so we went down to Schilo's at 10:30 to get breakfast/lunch.  So I used to work at One Alamo Center a couple blocks away, and on the weekdays it's a matter of walk right in.  So I wasn't prepared for a significant wait.  And the hostess told us 30-40 minutes.

It ends up being 50 minutes.  Ok--that's in the ballpark.  I'm not angry about it.

But we tell the waitress, "we're now in a hurry."  She tells us ok.  So I order some beers for me and Mrs.LL and root beers for the kids, and we order the food straight away.  Because we're in a hurry.

Beers come.  Root beers come.  Then nothing.  We never see our waitress again.  For 35 minutes.

We finally find her, and she says the kitchen is running 45 minutes per ticket.  What the everliving fuck?  We told you when we sat down that we were in a hurry.  So we just had to cancel everything, grab something from Whataburger next door, and dash to the goddamned soccer game.

On the upside, there was a great to-go daiquiri stand a block away form the soccer fields.  So that was awesome.  Nothing says "motherfucking classy" quite like showing up to a kids' soccer match with my 32-oz daiquiri (with extra shot, so that you know).

• Like 1

I used to work on Soledad near the downtown library. Friday for lunch I would hit the drive through daiquiri joint on San Pedro in Five Points. I will grant you were at a Saturday morning kids' soccer game, but I learned that a 32 oz daiquiri needed at least 4 extra shots to make it right.

No puffy tacos on the menu, but I hit Los Azuelejos on NW Military for the second time this evening and the food was fantastic. Strawberry margarita on the rocks (wtf but delicious), ribeye chicharron appetizer, and octopus tacos. 

• Like 1

Selma area

We tried The Purple Pig BBQ in Schertz yesterday. Was a food truck that moved into a building recently.

You know how when you walk in a place and can tell the owners have never been in the restaurant business? This had that feeling. Just little things that made no sense. One of them was that they only had chopped brisket listed on the menu and no sliced brisket.

Anyways- we had a variety of things on the menu and the meat wasn’t bad at all. Mac and Cheese wasn’t great. Peach cobbler was tasty.

Neat little house they converted to restaurant. Next door to Main Bar. Not a place I would make a road trip for but if you live on NE side, might be something to check out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 3/6/2022 at 2:16 AM, NIUHuskies said:

Everybody on here like Chris Madrid's but I will go down the road to Mr. Juicy if I am in that area. Also, If I am being a cheap bastard, Murf's on West.

There is a place called Diana's on Zarzamora. They had some affiliation with Chris Madrid's for years before opening this place up. It is pretty much the same burger. Went there once and I think I liked it better than Chris Madrid's. It was great. Tried Mr. Juicy's once and didn't care for it. When I got the burger I got the impression that they just took a cooked patty and let it sit in some kind of beef juices. I could be wrong but that is what it seemed like. As far as Burger Boy, it is almost exactly like Whataburger, but probably not quite as good.

On 3/5/2022 at 8:21 AM, miguelito said:

Aguascalientes at 1604 and babcock is good.

I think they have a place on Blanco Road north of 1604 too.  I was there a couple of weeks ago and stopped there twice for breakfast tacos.  Their carne guisada was delicious.

I was today years old when I realized Paesano’s wasn’t a national chain restaurant.  I’ve only ever been once. It struck me as a fancier Olive Garden, and I like Olive Garden. If I’m getting Italian here though I’m going to Julian’s, or Milano (puro 956). 

On 3/7/2022 at 5:12 PM, Hate said:

I think they have a place on Blanco Road north of 1604 too.  I was there a couple of weeks ago and stopped there twice for breakfast tacos.  Their carne guisada was delicious.

Can confirm

Source: Lived off of Borgfeld for 15 years 

Thats place was a staple many Saturday mornings for breffis tacos. And the normally boring green chicken enchiladas were outstanding there. 

On 3/7/2022 at 11:17 PM, Helobious said:

I was today years old when I realized Paesano’s wasn’t a national chain restaurant.  I’ve only ever been once. It struck me as a fancier Olive Garden, and I like Olive Garden. If I’m getting Italian here though I’m going to Julian’s, or Milano (puro 956). 

Although I've never really was a huge Paesanos fan per se mostly because Italian has never really been a favorite cuisine.   But any comparison to Olive Garden is ridiculous

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, midtown said:

Although I've never really was a huge Paesanos fan per se mostly because Italian has never really been a favorite cuisine.   But any comparison to Olive Garden is ridiculous

Agreed.  That said, I liked it better when it was only the one location on McCullough.  That was a fun scene and great food.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, midtown said:

Yep. 
paesanos edge for a long time was their fresh bread, fresh pasta and it was consistency pretty good. Wine is a big deal too and they really have some great values at Lincoln hts if that’s your thing. That one has always been Joe’s baby. My wife and her parents knew Joe well and were patrons from the very beginning.
I remember when she first started taking me there 25yrs ago I thought the food was good but maybe a touch heavy and bland. It’s more in line with the ‘simple’ flavors of traditional Italian comfort food. It’s grown on me and it’s just a solid standby for us. if you have 14 people coming over for a fantasy football draft or orgy, you can call them up and they will have you to-go totally taken care of in 30 min.

Fun little note, Joe is a great guy and true ‘Italian’. By that I mean he lives, laughs and loves. -And by ‘loves’ I mean he would always hire pretty college girls from Trinity as waitresses at McCullough, then Lincoln hts and fuck them. For decades.
One of them would get mad at him or another waitress he was fucking and quit, so he would just get another one. He also has a restaurant in Aspen (mezzaluna’s?) where he does the same thing.
We’ve gotten to know some of the staff really well at Lincoln hts over the yrs and I have always thought to myself Joe is the greatest judge of how wild a girl is compared to her crazy. It’s honestly incredible. He always had chosen people who where typical religious school girls who where looking to be ‘wild’ in college but at the same time were sweet, pretty, measured and understanding. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

Yep. 
paesanos edge for a long time was their fresh bread, fresh pasta and it was consistency pretty good. Wine is a big deal too and they really have some great values at Lincoln hts if that’s your thing. That one has always been Joe’s baby. My wife and her parents knew Joe well and were patrons from the very beginning.
I remember when she first started taking me there 25yrs ago I thought the food was good but maybe a touch heavy and bland. It’s more in line with the ‘simple’ flavors of traditional Italian comfort food. It’s grown on me and it’s just a solid standby for us. if you have 14 people coming over for a fantasy football draft or orgy, you can call them up and they will have you to-go totally taken care of in 30 min.

Fun little note, Joe is a great guy and true ‘Italian’. By that I mean he lives, laughs and loves. -And by ‘loves’ I mean he would always hire pretty college girls from Trinity as waitresses at McCullough, then Lincoln hts and fuck them. For decades.
One of them would get mad at him or another waitress he was fucking and quit, so he would just get another one. He also has a restaurant in Aspen (mezzaluna’s?) where he does the same thing.
We’ve gotten to know some of the staff really well at Lincoln hts over the yrs and I have always thought to myself Joe is the greatest judge of how wild a girl is compared to her crazy. It’s honestly incredible. He always had chosen people who where typical religious school girls who where looking to be ‘wild’ in college but at the same time were sweet, pretty, measured and understanding. 

Do you know Via?

4 hours ago, After irth said:

My Dad just sent me the news...SHIT!

That place opened the same year my Dad moved back to SA as a kid - he literally grew up 3 blocks from there off Santa Barbara.

It was our go to place when I visit him.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

My Dad just sent me the news...SHIT!

That place opened the same year my Dad moved back to SA as a kid - he literally grew up 3 blocks from there off Santa Barbara.

It was our go to place when I visit him.

That is very cool.  Both sides of my family lived off Blanco in the neighborhoods just south of Hildebrand. 

Judging from the outpouring on social media, there are sooooo many families that have "history" with Jacala.  That place has been a huge part of my life, as well as the life of friends and family.

I feel like a part of Home burned down this morning.

So strange to mourn the loss of a restaurant, but.....

Edited by After irth

It was my father in laws favorite restaurant. We ate there every time we visited him. When he passed a few years ago we ate there one last time. When the wife and I moved to SA end of last year we kept talking about going. We never did. Feels a little weird that we can’t now. 

Really shitty.  My great grandparents used to live right down the street from there, during the summers my parents would drop me and my little brother off at there house to spend the day there while they went to work and at least once a week, we would walk to Jacala for lunch.  Had a lot of great memories there with my great grandparents before they passed. 

• Like 1