San Antonio

TexasHooch

On 9/28/2021 at 8:24 AM, Hate said:

I haven’t lived in SA in 26 years, so I’m sure a few things have changed since then. I rarely go to Palapas because I’m rarely in SA. Last time I went to Palapas was probably almost 5 years ago and I went for breakfast. Their huevos rancheros is outstanding or at least was.

Same. I moved to Dallas in 1998. Las Palapas was amazeballs back then and I've gotten it a time or two when I've been back down visiting my folks. Still seemed good. Hate to hear it's slipped -- if it has because it was fantastic for a long time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BurdineBandit said:

Very satisfied with the commitment to Carne Guisada in this thread. The official meal of Tejanos for generations. Salute, gentlemen. 

Also, anybody got a recommendation in Austin? I've had Cisco's, and it was decent but the tortillas just aint' dusty enough like in SA.

Joe's Bakery on East 7th.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BurdineBandit said:

Very satisfied with the commitment to Carne Guisada in this thread. The official meal of Tejanos for generations. Salute, gentlemen. 

Also, anybody got a recommendation in Austin? I've had Cisco's, and it was decent but the tortillas just aint' dusty enough like in SA.

I highly recommend getting on 35 and heading south to San Antonio

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I highly recommend getting on 35 and heading south to San Antonio

This is the correct answer to all Austin "Tex Mex" querries.

Every single one.  I forgot how far superior SA is to ATX in that category until I moved back a couple of yrs ago.  Night and day.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thought about starting a new thread, but I'll post the question here:

Is San Antonio criminally underrated?

Would love to hear opinions. I haven't spent much time outside of the touristy areas, but the times I've spent, I've loved. The area feels like it's got character without being trendy. I think the best breakfast tacos I've ever eaten -- and atmosphere -- were at a place called Guenther House. The river outside of the Riverwalk is really nice. In Austin, it would be slammed but in SA, it's just very serene in the morning. Sure, the city has so much sprawl. And you can spend three days in the touristy area of any major city and have a great time. Overall, just really like the vibe when I've visited. 

Probably underrated but Austin and San Antonio are completely different. Economics. Vibe Entertainment Demographics. Etc and that's a good thing . It's way more unique. Has more history. There is nothing unique about Austin that you can't get in other cities. IMO.

Let's just build the freaking train so Austin people can come get tacos and watch the Spurs and SA peeps can watch UT MLS and eat BBQ.

There are only "four unique cities in America: Boston, New Orleans, San Francisco, and San Antonio," someone once said; the quote is attributed to both Mark Twain and Will Rogers.

San Antonio has a spirit, a soul.  Austin has hipsters who pretend to have it.

‘Great line from a cheesy movie (Still Breathing)filmed in SA back in the ‘90s describing the town - “ This city is like an old woman who’s lived long enough to know who she is”.

Yup

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 3

We hit up Nonna Oesteria ( at The Fairmont) last night Really great meal. Small menu but everything was top notch. Pretty decent Italian wine list and then an additional wine list for those wanting some domestic offerings.

Meatball appetizer was A+

Gnocchi was spot on.

We also ordered Tartufo, their signature dish. It had crab and black truffle and was made table side inside the Parm rind. It was very tasty but it wasn’t worth the price. Glad we tried it though.

6d08998b7963f1af1b596c09c3d45bec.jpg
d400c4b4f55c156ccca375badc0ba1bc.jpg
4d4f3eff805892ec926e3523d0133f3d.jpg
b3645097b063b9c24020ea08c09d8da6.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 10/23/2021 at 11:44 AM, FirstTimeCaller said:

Thought about starting a new thread, but I'll post the question here:

Is San Antonio criminally underrated?

Would love to hear opinions. I haven't spent much time outside of the touristy areas, but the times I've spent, I've loved. The area feels like it's got character without being trendy. I think the best breakfast tacos I've ever eaten -- and atmosphere -- were at a place called Guenther House. The river outside of the Riverwalk is really nice. In Austin, it would be slammed but in SA, it's just very serene in the morning. Sure, the city has so much sprawl. And you can spend three days in the touristy area of any major city and have a great time. Overall, just really like the vibe when I've visited. 

Man if you think the guenther house has the best breakfast tacos ever you have a lot more to experience. 

SA is pretty cool. I like it alright. I’ve lived here  a long time, basically split my childhood here growing up. I used to like living here more but I think I’ve just grown tired of it. It’s changed a lot. The amount of road rage shootings are ridiculous. Don’t honk unless you’re ready for a gunfight. Traffic is getting worse, too many people everywhere. I’ll probably move back to the valley here pretty soon. The traffic, growth, and crime are all on the rise down there too but to a lesser degree at least. At the end of the day it’s better if your place has all those problems, because it means the population is growing and it’s a desirable destination. Still sucks to deal with though /rant

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Beef Enchilada plate at Garcia's for today's pinche debauchery...

11C52F51-166E-4429-B56E-5D5D288A588C.jpe

Taco House and Garcia's back to back? Outstanding work from you. There's about a 99% chance that you and I have had lunch together at some point but didn't know it.

But the question on everybody's mind -- brisket nachos or no brisket nachos from Garcias?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Cajun said:

@Mitch Cumsteen

Interesante.

Will try on next visit and report back.

Please do. I guarantee it won't disappoint. I found a picture of them on Yelp. So... damn.... good.

Photo of Garcia's Mexican Food - San Antonio, TX, United States. Brisket nachos...best damn nachos EVER.

The other thing that they have on their menu that I've never seen anywhere is carne de puerco, which is like carne guisada but with pork. It's really, really fucking good. Pro tip: if you order the carne de puerco taco, you have to eat that shit first or else it's going to soak right through the tortilla. 

• Like 5
  • Drool 1