San Antonio

TexasHooch

On 11/1/2021 at 12:56 PM, Mac8111 said:

Chicken fried chicken smothered biscuits and gravy with eggs and hash browns at Grumpys this weekend.

5acb281d28e6306eeab45463453580b7.jpg

On 11/11/2021 at 3:05 PM, Cajun said:

Beef Enchilada plate at Garcia's for today's pinche debauchery...

11C52F51-166E-4429-B56E-5D5D288A588C.jpe

On 11/11/2021 at 4:49 PM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Please do. I guarantee it won't disappoint. I found a picture of them on Yelp. So... damn.... good.

Photo of Garcia's Mexican Food - San Antonio, TX, United States. Brisket nachos...best damn nachos EVER.

The other thing that they have on their menu that I've never seen anywhere is carne de puerco, which is like carne guisada but with pork. It's really, really fucking good. Pro tip: if you order the carne de puerco taco, you have to eat that shit first or else it's going to soak right through the tortilla. 

On 11/10/2021 at 11:27 PM, Cajun said:

Taco House kills it again at lunch...

EA70C979-1FC8-4F35-B0DC-08346F6BEA42.jpe

Fuck.  Seriously, just...  Fuck! 

GD, some serious eats in these posts.  

On 11/10/2021 at 3:39 PM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

We need to know if there will be a sugar baby involved. I say Goro's and then take her next door to Dad's for some karaoke. Or shoot down 10 to Costco.

On 11/10/2021 at 8:29 AM, LebongJames said:

http://unikojapanesehouse.com

Been here a couple of times. It’s good not great.

When I was heavily rotating the sugar babies through La Cantera this was a goto spot.

It's good not great and overpriced.

5 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

How did you obtain the large container for the hot sauce? Power move. I'm usually filling up like 5 of those little plastic cups.

I didn’t, my buddy did.  He’s a pushy fucker, but he gets shit done.  They started to give him the little teaser ones and he just says, “Oh no no no no!  That’s just not gonna cut it…”, in a light hearted, joking kinda way that still had the smell of “ I’m serious and you don’t want me to make a scene here”.

I was equally impressed.

7 hours ago, Cajun said:

I didn’t, my buddy did.  He’s a pushy fucker, but he gets shit done.  They started to give him the little teaser ones and he just says, “Oh no no no no!  That’s just not gonna cut it…”, in a light hearted, joking kinda way that still had the smell of “ I’m serious and you don’t want me to make a scene here”.

I was equally impressed.

Well done. A few years back I was eating at Madrids with a big group. This was back in the day when you could order at the back bar if the line was too long in front - most people didn't know that trick. And then one dude from the group who I didn't know that well not only orders from the bar but shows up at the table with an entire beer mug full of hot sauce. He wasn't fucking around with those little plastic cups either. Necessity... Invention... Blah blah blah. 

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Well done. A few years back I was eating at Madrids with a big group. This was back in the day when you could order at the back bar if the line was too long in front - most people didn't know that trick. And then one dude from the group who I didn't know that well not only orders from the bar but shows up at the table with an entire beer mug full of hot sauce. He wasn't fucking around with those little plastic cups either. Necessity... Invention... Blah blah blah. 

Genius.

Everyone talks about the great tacos in San Antonio. But I think one of the most amazing dishes in San Antonio are the nachos. My favorite are the extra big individually cheesed chips with refried beans, guac, beef fajita meat, and tons of japs. One of my favorites for nachos is Alamo Cafe. 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2021 at 3:28 PM, Orale said:

Everyone talks about the great tacos in San Antonio. But I think one of the most amazing dishes in San Antonio are the nachos. My favorite are the extra big individually cheesed chips with refried beans, guac, beef fajita meat, and tons of japs. One of my favorites for nachos is Alamo Cafe. 

Bro, try to keep up…

35F7EDE5-13B5-463E-AD2C-520346BA9872.jpe

Trust me, the nachos were vigorously discussed. 

Edited by Cajun

On 11/20/2021 at 3:28 PM, Orale said:

I like nachos as much as anyone.  Only problem is you must eat them fresh.  I swear if they sit in a styrofoam container for a 10 minute trip home it’s too late:  chips are soggy, cheese is cold.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2021 at 8:54 AM, miguelito said:

Did you get your Christmas shopping done there as well?

Of all the fucked up crap they sell there, this time they had a purse behind the counter with little OU's on it like a Louis Vuitton. I did a triple take on it. It was super bizarre, even for that place which has junk so awful that even my wife wouldn't buy. #7 Mexican plate did not disappoint though. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/9/2021 at 7:31 PM, tx 3 putt said:

Sushi recs, out towards Cantera or 1604 north would be great 

There’s limited sushi on the menu. Maybe 6 different types of nigiri and 3 different rolls, but we went to Up Scale last night and it was excellent. It’s in the old Feast location in Southtown. Nice vibe in the place. No pics taken, but the sushi was great. I had Dover sole for the entree which they filet for you table side. Wife had lobster taglioni (?). All fantastic, but our favorite thing was the cheesecake for dessert. Very light and fluffy, not too sweet. Unlike any cheesecake I remember having before. The only downside was the service was a little slow, which I assumed was Omicron related, but the manager made up for it. We’ll be going back for sure. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Found myself in South Park Mall today for the first time in years. Counted 5 dudes with face tats. Not one white person in the whole mall. They have this indoor airsoft shooting range now, nothing else of note. It didn’t really feel as hood as it used to be which is good, just seemed kind of dead. It’s probably a bad sign when a Chili’s is basically an anchor store. Wonder how long before it goes the way of Windsor Park. 

9 hours ago, Helobious said:

Found myself in South Park Mall today for the first time in years. Counted 5 dudes with face tats. Not one white person in the whole mall. They have this indoor airsoft shooting range now, nothing else of note. It didn’t really feel as hood as it used to be which is good, just seemed kind of dead. It’s probably a bad sign when a Chili’s is basically an anchor store. Wonder how long before it goes the way of Windsor Park. 

940x450-Ryan-Reynold-Reaction-GIFs.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So I am sitting here planning a photography trip to NM with Triple D on the tube in the background.  They show a place in San Antonio called Bun N Barrel.  My mom is from the southside (almost to calaveras lake), so I am not real familiar with places on the north side.  Anyways, I don't have taste-o-vision, but the burgers and even the brisket sandwich looked tasty.  Is this place legit?