2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

Seems like it is sink-or-swim time for JD. The dude is 25 and is hitting .415/.473/.654 in AAA. Granted, he plays in a hitters league and has a .510 BABIP, but he doesn't have anything left to prove at the minor league level, other than maybe improving his contact issues (and he has been striking out less this year). 

I hope he gets consistent ABs at DH, but he and Gattis both hit R, so who knows. As far as I know, Davis hasn't played any OF...

Edited by Hank Chinaski

We have five guys who are really good at AAA and suck in the majors. We are just bringing up someone we know is going to suck and be sent back in two weeks. But it is a small problem to have. If we are relying on these guys to hit, we have bigger issues.  

Hopefully we can just use these guys to give some rest and do some pinch running. Expect anything more from them is just going to get us aggravated. We just have to wait for the next wave of prospects to come through. 

2 hours ago, Dr. Teeth said:

We have five guys who are really good at AAA and suck in the majors. We are just bringing up someone we know is going to suck and be sent back in two weeks. But it is a small problem to have. If we are relying on these guys to hit, we have bigger issues.  

Hopefully we can just use these guys to give some rest and do some pinch running. Expect anything more from them is just going to get us aggravated. We just have to wait for the next wave of prospects to come through. 

Maybe. But Davis has had all of 96 big-league plate appearances, and has been a roughly average hitter (94 wRC+). Given that he has been a good offensive player at every level of the minors, I don't think he should be dismissed based on his first 100 MLB PAs. He is at least playable at 3B or 1B (and apparently he's played 6 games in LF). 

Reed has had 147 PAs and has been awful (45 wRC+) and is limited to 1B. 

Tyler White has had 343 PAs and has been below average (89 wRC+). Though he was better in '17 than in '16. Still, he is 2 years older than Davis or Reed. 

I don't disagree that it is difficult to "expect" anything from them, but they aren't worthless. Getting average production from them at the big league level has value, even if it is in a fill-in capacity. I mean, we regularly have Jake Marisnick and/or Evan Gattis in our everyday lineup - any of these three guys outhitting them wouldn't be terribly surprising. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Aggressive baserunning bit us on that one. I'm fine with it. It took a perfect throw to get him. 

Bregs hit second as the ball was fielded. A guy with some speed will make third more often than not in that scenario. Took a great throw and a great pick to get him, as noted. 

Were we hitting great, maybe you call that a baserunning error. But we’re not, so it wasn’t. 

Edited by Gut Wagon