2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

The As are going to have PTSD after this series. 

The series between these two teams is starting to look like Texas/ou football
Win today (obviously a long way to go) and astros will have won 8 in a row vs Oakland
Before that Oakland won 6 in a row
Before that Houston won 12 of 14 dating back to beginning of 2017.

you could argue that the 4-5 best teams in mlb are in the al this year.  i'm not sure i would favor any nl team in a 7 game series against any of the 5 projected playoff team (tough to forecast injuries, etc obviously). 

the west and east will be hugely important races since the inclusion of wc2.  i was thinking about it last week, and it seemed to be a popular topic on mlb yesterday, but there may very well be a 1 game wild card matchup between (some combo) of paxton, verlander, sale, severino for the right to play in an actual series.  that's bananas.

i, like many, think seattle will fade, but even so, boston/nyy will have to take paxton down (although likely at home) to advance.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

you could argue that the 4-5 best teams in mlb are in the al this year.  i'm not sure i would favor any nl team in a 7 game series against any of the 5 projected playoff team (tough to forecast injuries, etc obviously). 

the west and east will be hugely important races since the inclusion of wc2.  i was thinking about it last week, and it seemed to be a popular topic on mlb yesterday, but there may very well be a 1 game wild card matchup between (some combo) of paxton, verlander, sale, severino for the right to play in an actual series.  that's bananas.

i, like many, think seattle will fade, but even so, boston/nyy will have to take paxton down (although likely at home) to advance.

that's pretty great, as Paxton will be tough and then either will be pushed back in the playoffs with a W

Edited by Pablo

yep.  the trade deadline will be very interesting, as those 5 teams try to get better, all with differing needs, not to mention the 8-10 nl teams that will likely still be alive.  it may come down to sp depth, as only boston and houston have legit #2 guys (i guess depending on tanaka's health, but he don't scare me).  if nyy goes out and gets degrom, that changes shit in a hurry.  having cole go as sp2 and whomever is going best out of lmj/dk/morty going sp3 is huge for us, and obviously diminishes what most everyone thinks is our only weakness - the bully.  of course, we'll likely add 1-2 arms there.

what i like is that when you look at the 10-12 buyers, there isn't a glaring need for relievers like in some years past.  but most everyone will be looking for sp, especially considering how houston and chicago won.