2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

If Tucker keeps this pace up. He may be up in about a month or so. Dam, we are loaded the minors. We have three pitchers with big arms who have hardly thrown this year. Possibly the best MiLB org in baseball again. Not bad considering who we have traded or called up the last couple years.

Watched Tucker a couple of games this last weekend and was maybe most impressed by his “Altuve-ness.” By that I mean his ability to seemingly get a hit whenever he wanted by simply waiting way back on a pitch and flicking the bat at the last second for an easy single to whichever field he wanted.
He did that at least 2 times that I remember.

3 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Watched Tucker a couple of games this last weekend and was maybe most impressed by his “Altuve-ness.” By that I mean his ability to seemingly get a hit whenever he wanted by simply waiting way back on a pitch and flicking the bat at the last second for an easy single to whichever field he wanted.
He did that at least 2 times that I remember.

That's how he has been advertised. Scouts love his hands. Hopefully a Correa of the outfield or a combo of Altuve/Correa.

The ORG is stocked.

Slow night.

2 hours ago, ckhorn said:

That's how he has been advertised. Scouts love his hands. Hopefully a Correa of the outfield or a combo of Altuve/Correa.

The ORG is stocked.

Slow night.

Altuve hand eye coordination with a Nolan Ryan arm, Shaquille Oneal size, and Deion Sanders speed. 

Surprised more people aren't talking about Whitley.... his stat line through 12 IP, three starts is absurd. 

Very possible we have three future cornerstones (Tucker, Whitley, Alvarez) for when the current guys decline.... not that they won't still be around. 

Team could be legit good for 10 years. 

I think they will use him in the postseason as a reliever, but he may get a few starts in September.  If he's hitting 95-98 as a starter, he could throw 98-100 as a reliever with his arsenal of plus breaking/offspeed pitches.  

Edited by Fozzz

unless we trade for jansen, kimbrel, or chapman (obviously not going to happen), then you guys are crazy, stoned, or downright kidding yourselves if you think we're gonna roll into october with defined roles in the bullpen, including closer.

hinch won a world series managing the pen by feel, vision, and a healthy dose of mccann's input.  we may see a save from giles, rondon, devo, whatever - but we'll also see 2ip from peacock, the back 3-4 innings from mccullers or mchugh - we're gonna see all sorts of shit.  we have 7 starters worthy of a rotation spot, and likely only 3 will start in the playoffs, maybe 4.  we have 10-12 good to great arms total and we'll likely add another. 

whatever it takes to win, that's what we're gonna do in oct.

• Like 3

No, but Luhnow has also not been bashful about calling on him if he thinks he can provide value:

From three weeks ago:
“Luhnow pointed out that the suspension cautioned other players, but it also offered the Astros something more valuable than teaching a lesson. Luhnow had considered calling up Whitley for a bullpen audition last September and is not bashful about factoring Whitley into the Astros’ current chase to repeat as World Series champions.

Whitley had 50 games to rest up.

“We saved a couple bullets in his arm there that may come into play later this year,” Luhnow said.”

Frankly, as excited as we all are about him, I certainly hope we don’t need him to provide meaningful innings in October.

unless we trade for jansen, kimbrel, or chapman (obviously not going to happen), then you guys are crazy, stoned, or downright kidding yourselves if you think we're gonna roll into october with defined roles in the bullpen, including closer.
hinch won a world series managing the pen by feel, vision, and a healthy dose of mccann's input.  we may see a save from giles, rondon, devo, whatever - but we'll also see 2ip from peacock, the back 3-4 innings from mccullers or mchugh - we're gonna see all sorts of shit.  we have 7 starters worthy of a rotation spot, and likely only 3 will start in the playoffs, maybe 4.  we have 10-12 good to great arms total and we'll likely add another. 

This is outright poetry my friends!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

CFM

Unless you believe that Whitley won't be called up until next summer, I don't see the downside of calling him up later this year.  Not to say that the pen needs to be fixed - I think it's fine, but Whitley's stuff is better than any of our relievers.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, runthebone said:

I disagree.  It's clearly the team's weakness and should be fixed at the trade deadline.

I mean, it’s a weakness in the sense that every team has a group weaker than the others, I guess.

But the bullpen is currently 2nd in WAR, 1st in FIP, 1st in xFIP, 2nd in K/9, 1st in BB/9. I’m not sure how you “fix” that.

For the last month, in fact, the pen is actually outperforming the rotation. No one would argue the rotation needs to be fixed, and rightfully so. But that reinforces that the primary problem with the bullpen is one of fan perception.

Edited by formermav43
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, runthebone said:

In the playoffs against the Yankees/Red Sox/Cleveland, I don't feel good about this bullpen holding on to a one run lead at the end of the game.  Do you?

Yes.  Who would you feel better about?  Kimbrel?  Chapman?  Jansen?  I seem to remember them all blowing leads or ties in the playoffs.

Edited by WBT
  • Like 1

In the playoffs, you’ll never feel good about your team holding a one run lead. Nothing is going to change that, unless they’re trading for prime Mariano Rivera (who blew leads in the playoffs, btw).

But that’s the key: you feel. It’s purely emotional, not fact based.

If they can bolster the pen with a smart move, great. If not, that’s ok too-it’s actually good.

Edited by formermav43
  • Like 1

here's the "glaring" problem with our bullpen - nobody is great/lockdown.

typically, in your average bullpen, you have 2-3 guys who are awesome, and you totally trust.  then you have the other guys, who are not very awesome, and you know you can't depend on them, especially in a close game.

our "issue" if you want to call it that, is that everyone is capable of being awesome on a given night, and as a unit, they've been very strong all year, but we don't have 2-3 guys who we know can close out a game after 6-7 strong innings out of a starter.  and while everyone is quick to pick on giles, the blown games this season have been a group effort.  devo, harris, smith, giles, peacock - everyone has had some ugly blowups.  outside of mchugh maybe, who's been great, but certainly isn't used in that 1 inning we need outs type of situation very often.

our bullpen numbers are great, but i don't know how our best 2-3 guys stack up against other teams' best 2-3 guys.  even if/when we add an arm, i don't think he'll be discernibly better than what we have, so we'll hope for the best.  and we'll add lmj and possibly morty to the mix.

Edited by henrygandorf

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

here's the "glaring" problem with our bullpen - nobody is great/lockdown.

typically, in your average bullpen, you have 2-3 guys who are awesome, and you totally trust.  then you have the other guys, who are not very awesome, and you know you can't depend on them, especially in a close game.

our "issue" if you want to call it that, is that everyone is capable of being awesome on a given night, and as a unit, they've been very strong all year, but we don't have 2- guys who we know can close out a game after 6-7 strong innings out of a starter.  and while everyone is quick to pick on giles, the blown games this season have been a group effort.  devo, harris, smith, giles, peacock - everyone has had some ugly blowups.  outside of mchugh maybe, who's been great, but certainly isn't used in that 1 inning we need outs type of situation very often.

our bullpen numbers are great, but i don't know how our best 2-3 guys stack up against other teams' 2-3 best 2-3 guys.  even if/when we add an arm, i don't think he'll be discernibly better than what we have, so we'll hope for the best.  and we'll add lmj and possibly morty to the mix.

One of you will quickly correct me if I'm wrong (I likely am), but didn't we sign Joe Smith mainly because he was so wicked against Judge and Stanton? Not saying the guy's performance thus far would suggest that's a continuing pattern, even if it once existed...but I seem to have heard that.

24 minutes ago, WBT said:

Yes.  Who would you feel better about?  Kimbrel?  Chapman?  Jansen?  I seem to remember them all blowing leads or ties in the playoffs.

Yeah, wouldn't you?  They are all nasty. 

22 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

In the playoffs, you’ll never feel good about your team holding a one run lead. Nothing is going to change that, unless they’re trading for prime Mariano Rivera (who blew leads in the playoffs, btw).

But that’s the key: you feel. It’s purely emotional, not fact based.

If they can bolster the pen with a smart move, great. If not, that’s ok too-it’s actually good.

At some point, beating teams by 10 runs doesn't really matter.  Bullpen success in beatdowns doesn't matter. 

The Astros are 7-13 in one run games.  

Edited by runthebone

6 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Fudge Nuggets, please stay out of the Rangers thread. We don’t want any of those idiots finding their way over here in retaliation . Thanks.

5 hours ago, Fozzz said:

The MLB thread is the better venue for talking shit about the Rangers.

Or don't bother at all. No sense kicking 'em when they're down. We don't need that, because we have us.

One of you will quickly correct me if I'm wrong (I likely am), but didn't we sign Joe Smith mainly because he was so wicked against Judge and Stanton? Not saying the guy's performance thus far would suggest that's a continuing pattern, even if it once existed...but I seem to have heard that.

He has been very good against the Yankees except for Hicks. However, I doubt that’s the main reason we signed him. http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/batvspitch/_/id/28729/teamId/10

Vegas thinks we are going to abuse Duffy tonight. Astros are huge favorites (-335) even with Dallas pitching.