Michigan @ Notre Dame. Regional Rivalry Restart

notre dame joe

It still amazes me that it's year four of the Harbaugh era and Jim is starting a grad transfer QB, and one who doesn't appear to be that good. I figured the first thing he would do would be to recruit an elite QB to run his pro-style offense with the promise of preparing him for the next level. That hasn't happened. And now he's running the shotgun? I have no idea what's going on up there but it's not what I expected at all.

40 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It still amazes me that it's year four of the Harbaugh era and Jim is starting a grad transfer QB, and one who doesn't appear to be that good. I figured the first thing he would do would be to recruit an elite QB to run his pro-style offense with the promise of preparing him for the next level. That hasn't happened. And now he's running the shotgun? I have no idea what's going on up there but it's not what I expected at all.

Here is another info snippet that will make you say WhatTheFBuck

6 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Patterson is  a 21 yr old JR/Red Shirt Sophomore.  Probably was distracted by being the first season where he can drink after the game. 

1 hour ago, notre dame joe said:

Patterson is  a 21 yr old JR/Red Shirt Sophomore.  Probably was distracted by being the first season where he can drink after the game. 

Oh right, he got to transfer due to the Freeze mess. I'm still surprised at how the QB situation has played out for them. 

20 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It's one of the most mind bottling situations that I have seen in a long time. When I think of Michigan, I think of a solid QB, a stud OL, a great TE and usually a tall sure handed (not talking about you Braylon) WR. It's just about the perfect place for Harbaugh to run his smash mouth pro style offense, and I think college football is ripe for a change of pace. You have all these defenses evolving to stop the spread offenses, so a smash mouth offense should be able to exploit that. 

But Harbaugh can't get his QB, the OL is a mess, and the offense looks vanilla as anything I've ever seen. It's very surprising. It's showing on defense as well. You have "can't miss" recruits like Rashan Gary who hasn't come close to reaching his potential. He was the #1 or #2 recruit, and is projected to be a top 5 draft pick, but you wouldn't know it by watching him play. 

Can't figure it out.... 

• Like 1

It really is crazy. It seemed like an obviously successful formula. 'You want to play in the pros? I'll prepare you for that.' I figured with his California ties he could have his pick of the top QB recruits out there, especially with USC being down. A young Drew Henson or Tom Brady with Ike be better than anyone he's trotted out there yet. And he should be able to recruit to Michigan without all the gimmicks.

I rooted for his Stanford teams because fuck Pete Carroll. I rooted for his 49ers teams for the same reason and because they had some Buckeyes on the roster. And I wanted him to have success there so he wouldn't move to Ann Arbor. He was such the obvious choice to replace Hoke. But I was watching from a distance and had no idea how batshit crazy he is.

Maybe he's the sort of coach that performs best when expectations are low. I don't know. But it sure is weird.

2 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

It's one of the most mind bottling situations that I have seen in a long time. When I think of Michigan, I think of a solid QB, a stud OL, a great TE and usually a tall sure handed (not talking about you Braylon) WR. It's just about the perfect place for Harbaugh to run his smash mouth pro style offense, and I think college football is ripe for a change of pace. You have all these defenses evolving to stop the spread offenses, so a smash mouth offense should be able to exploit that. 

But Harbaugh can't get his QB, the OL is a mess, and the offense looks vanilla as anything I've ever seen. It's very surprising. It's showing on defense as well. You have "can't miss" recruits like Rashan Gary who hasn't come close to reaching his potential. He was the #1 or #2 recruit, and is projected to be a top 5 draft pick, but you wouldn't know it by watching him play. 

Can't figure it out.... 

There was an almost 20 year period when Michy was Quarterback U - 1987-2008 (with a few gaps) NFL draft picks Harbaugh, Grbac, Collins, Griese, Brady, Henson, Navarre, Henne. 4 of which were selected as All-Pro and one of those is the GOAT (arguably)

But since 2008 only Jake Rudock has been drafted 2016; and he was a graduate transfer from Iowa and a 6th rounder.

I really thought that Jimmah would find and coach up a QB, as he did with Luck and Kap

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 5:20 AM, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Can't figure it out.... 

I heard Gary was hurt in the week before the game and agree with everything else.  I cannot fathom why Harbaugh is having trouble with Michigan's traditionally best positions.  UM boards say they lost key OT to discipline and another to Smart's bag men.  But that doesn't explain why they didn't have OGs except as backfield carpeting.

36 minutes ago, notre dame joe said:

I heard Gary was hurt in the week before the game and agree with everything else.  I cannot fathom why Harbaugh is having trouble with Michigan's traditionally best positions.  UM boards say they lost key OT to discipline and another to Smart's bag men.  But that doesn't explain why they didn't have OGs except as backfield carpeting.

Michigan lost its best lineman (LT - Grant Newsome) to career ending injury in the Wisconsin game 2 years ago. Interior has been fairly fairly solid compared to the tackles although I agree they didn't show it against the Domers. I also think strength and conditioning has something to do with the o-line struggles. It''ll be interesting to see if the Herbert hire has an impact on this in the coming year. I think losing Jedd Fisch really hurt from a playcalling standpoint as well. He made Speight look serviceable until he got hurt in 2016. Last year without him, Speight never got it going even before the injury.