haven't received my work performance evaluation - pro or con?

52-80

Last few years we've had frequent turbulent reorgs.  Many on the management chain are psychopathic or at least apathetic. 

As a result, some of us haven't been assigned objectives for this year.  And my 2017 performance evaluation haven't even been completed.

Only for the sake of closing old matters - I've reminded my last manager, functional manager, and current manager, and they've all just passed the potato around. 

Now there's no real processes that depends on the completion of this evaluation; and I'm not gunning to climb the ladder; or in risk of losing my job ...... But just for curiosity sake if shit hits the fan, from an employment legal battle perspective, is this something I can use to my advantage -- or does it just mean fuckall?

My former manager started keeping a paper trail of any minor mishap or email command that I did not follow exactly. I could see the writing on the wall and peaced out before the noose got tighter. 

Problem for her is I did her job and mine. I just found out she was demoted. I guess her performance review didn’t go well. 

• Like 1

My advice to you is to write you own and send it to your managers for them to add color/perspective to.

Give yourself the rating you believe you earned, back it up with supporting materials and so on.

This way you aren't making your managers write the thing from ground up.

Could help get ball moving.

14 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

It means fuckall. Managers hate them more than employees. 

The only advantage would be if they terminated you and you are in a protected class, they might not have a "paper trail" of areas where you were disciplined. But likely you can be fired at any moment without cause. Because "right to work".

This is the truth.

Every March I have to do these and I hate them with a passion.

Corporate bullshit that no one ever looks at.

Total waste of time.

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

This is the truth.

Total waste of time.

We use them as criteria for promotions and other opportunities (e.g. must have received top rating for at least 3 of last 5 years), and place salaries within bands.

Conversely also use it to build cases for termination.

I know I'm already half answering myself here.  Not worried about the final eval itself.  Just wondering if I ever get aggrieved I can say "y'all didn't even set objectives; didn't give review or feedback; closed eval late to falsely build a case" etc.  Wonder if that holds up in disputes.

3 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

My advice to you is to write you own and send it to your managers for them to add color/perspective to.

Give yourself the rating you believe you earned, back it up with supporting materials and so on.

This way you aren't making your managers write the thing from ground up.

Could help get ball moving.

That's the last thing I would do.

Put it out of your mind and move on.  Nobody likes doing them.

8 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

This is the truth.

Total waste of time.

They are being looked at. Unless your company is <500 employees or so, someone is back there doing analytics on the company's people data, including performance reviews. Oftentimes that performance data is married to other data to evaluate your performance as a manager. YMMV but generally speaking, it's in a manager's best interest to do them thoroughly.

To the OP - I wouldn't sweat it unless you know others have received reviews. Companies get behind on that stuff all the time. That whole HR technology landscape is shifting so quickly that they switch vendors for performance management constantly, meaning they never settle into a rhythm of annual reviews. It's always in flux, and oftentimes gets lost in the fray. Because HR, and stuff.

Edited by BradInATX

22 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Last few years we've had frequent turbulent reorgs.  Many on the management chain are psychopathic or at least apathetic. 

As a result, some of us haven't been assigned objectives for this year.  And my 2017 performance evaluation haven't even been completed.

Only for the sake of closing old matters - I've reminded my last manager, functional manager, and current manager, and they've all just passed the potato around. 

Now there's no real processes that depends on the completion of this evaluation; and I'm not gunning to climb the ladder; or in risk of losing my job ...... But just for curiosity sake if shit hits the fan, from an employment legal battle perspective, is this something I can use to my advantage -- or does it just mean fuckall?

You're safe. If they wanted you out they'd have followed policy and documented to the T. They'll pencil something for your when HR gets on them about not having it done.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

Back when Enron was a thing, I had this manager that I despised and I found another group to work for. Except that during that transition Ken Lay retired and that fucking asshole Jeff Skilling took over as CEO, and his personal hero was another asshole, Jack Welch. So Skilling implements the Welch model of identifying the bottom 10% performers and canning them. And since I had left the group, my old manager decided that I was “that guy”, the worst performer. At that point my only question was whether they were gonna can me right away or put me in a performance improvement plan. They did the second option. Anyway, none of that mattered because only months later we all got canned. Good times.