An update from the “mighty” SEC

Longboard Horn

Honestly, when was the last time Ark-Kansas was actually relevant? First team I can think of was Holtz’s 77 team that used Roland Sales to run ou into the ground of the Orange Bowl.....their only loss that year..you guessed it Texas.

Arkansas is a second their team, and has always been one. They have been in the SEC since, what 92? And have yet to win the conference.

In fairness on occasion some talent came out of the Ft Smith area, and a few other places here and there. But mostly the cream of the crop would cut and run to get the fuck out of that shit hole.

41 minutes ago, Hamttx said:

Arkansas is a second their team, and has always been one. They have been in the SEC since, what 92? And have yet to win the conference.

They provided a perfect blueprint of exactly what NOT to do and the aggies have completely ignored it and are happy as pigs in shit about their hunnert year decision.

Who  could have seen it coming? Well, Cletus, pretty much everyone but you.

5 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

I bet if you're not getting your ass kicked by N. Texas you won't get booed by your own fans.  I guess their feelings are hurt.

That's a pretty damn accurate assessment you have, I believe..!

At this point you have to wonder if the ball coach wishes he had kept his ass at SMU, that was some job security vs getting canned in another 2 years, at this rate...

1 hour ago, kopp0e said:

What do you do when you knock off an SEC team at their own stadium, in a blowout..? You dance a jigg, that's what..!

Lulz at the upside down secsecsec flag as the coach works his moves. Watch your corn hole, UNT, aggy don't take kindly to that kind of treatment of the secsecsec. 

• Haha 1

I'm happy to see arky get destroyed by UNT, but I kind of feel that trick play is a little unfair.  I mean the old adage of play until the whistle isn't really a thing anymore since defenders are being flagged and kicked out of games left and right for unnecessary roughness.  That particular play relies on that knowing that defenders aren't going to lay into a guy just standing there anymore.  I get that it's within the rules, but it just seems a little it's taking advantage of the shitty situation defenders are already in.

1 minute ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I'm happy to see arky get destroyed by UNT, but I kind of feel that trick play is a little unfair.  I mean the old adage of play until the whistle isn't really a thing anymore since defenders are being flagged and kicked out of games left and right for unnecessary roughness.  That particular play relies on that knowing that defenders aren't going to lay into a guy just standing there anymore.  I get that it's within the rules, but it just seems a little it's taking advantage of the shitty situation defenders are already in.

For now, it's legal and it's fully on the arky players.  Honestly, when the whistle didn't blow they could easily have tackled him without risking penalty, particularly if they just grab him and bring him down. 

I do think they don't want this kind of play so as not to risk a missed fair catch by the defenders resulting in an injury. 

I think it was 2009, Leach tried to end a half with a fake kneel down that was actually a deep bomb and the officials blew it dead, citing a rule that you can't fake taking a knee for the protection of the players, or something like that.

I imagine coaches will now instruct their teams to at least wrap up in these situations until you hear a whistle, and officials will be instructed to blow a play dead if it clearly appears both sides are treating the play like a fair catch.  I'm not sure how they can apply a rule like this that is so open to interpretation, but I bet they try. 

1 minute ago, BurntEyes said:

Some team had a return lay flat in the end zone and the stand up well after the ball was kicked.  Happened this weekend, but I couldn't find a replay. 

TCU has done it before:

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/tcu-horned-frogs-hide-player-end-zone-laying-down-kickoff-against-oklahoma-sooners-vine-video/11m0s5i3sv351a20iipw0eqhz

TCU tried it this past weekend against Ohio State but it didn't work due to a penalty

I've heard that UNC tried the fake fair catch several times.  To me talking it over with the refs before hand kind of makes it a little unfair.  I mean had the refs not been in on it they would have blown the play dead long before he started making a run for the endzone because the returner is basically giving himself up, and them letting it continue knowing that the defenders don't want to hit a defenseless player is kind of crappy.  20 years ago it wouldn't have mattered because you play to the whistle, but an excuse of them not seeing a fair catch or not hearing a whistle won't get you out of a unnecessary roughness penalty anymore. 

I do agree someone could have just hugged him and looked at the ref and the play would probably been blown dead even with the refs in on it.

Had the refs not been in on it, and someone tackled him prior to his sprint to the endzone do we think that player wouldn't have been flagged?

2 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Had the refs not been in on it, and someone tackled him prior to his sprint to the endzone do we think that player wouldn't have been flagged?

I have personally been flagged for this.  Pretty much the exact same situation as it went down on the UNT play.

Also, I think the refs messed this up.  Brewer waves his left hand up by his ear.  That's an invalid signal.  He cannot advance the ball.

Ryan Switzer did it the right way at UNC a couple times.

On 9/16/2018 at 1:51 PM, Hamttx said:

Honestly, when was the last time Ark-Kansas was actually relevant? First team I can think of was Holtz’s 77 team that used Roland Sales to run ou into the ground of the Orange Bowl.....their only loss that year..you guessed it Texas.

In fairness on occasion some talent came out of the Ft Smith area, and a few other places here and there. But mostly the cream of the crop would cut and run to get the fuck out of that shit hole.

Arkansas kept the Pony Express from having an unblemished record by tying them 17-17 in the last game of their SWC season. 

SMU ended up beating Cocaine Marino in the Cotton Bowl 7-3, but their one tie ended up convincing the voters to place them behind 1 loss Pedo State to miss out on a MNC. 

I would think that keeping an undefeated team from achieving an 11 & 0 perfect regular season and ultimately a 12 & 0 season would be enough to consider them “relevant”.

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Arkansas kept the Pony Express from having an unblemished record by tying them 17-17 in the last game of their SWC season. 

SMU ended up beating Cocaine Marino in the Cotton Bowl 7-3, but their one tie ended up convincing the voters to place them behind 1 loss Pedo State to miss out on a MNC. 

I would think that keeping an undefeated team from achieving an 11 & 0 perfect regular season and ultimately a 12 & 0 season would be enough to consider them “relevant”.

How would history be different for SMU, before the death penalty, if the Ponies had actually won the National Championship, might have become a P5 team in 1994...

S.M.U. IN BOWL AFTER 17-17 TIE - The New York Times

Nov 21, 1982 - S.M.U. IN BOWL AFTER 17-17 TIE ... quarterback keeper by Lance McIlhenny and kicked an extra point for a 17-17 tie with Arkansas today.

For now, it's legal and it's fully on the arky players.  Honestly, when the whistle didn't blow they could easily have tackled him without risking penalty, particularly if they just grab him and bring him down. 

Defenders should slap the ball out and take it away if they ever get the chance again on a kick like that.
  • Like 1

They provided a perfect blueprint of exactly what NOT to do and the aggies have completely ignored it and are happy as pigs in shit about their hunnert year decision.
Who  could have seen it coming? Well, Cletus, pretty much everyone but you.
This guy saw it coming oh yes he did!
f7b005ecf679d841a0829e24cd4d9a83.gif
  • Haha 1

Fuck off aggy.