2018-19 Houston Rockets Thread of running it back (mainly)

SEC

They were beatable last night, with Cousins playing lights out.  Rockets went through some horrible stretches and didn't look good most of the night.

This is a game the Rockets typically would have folded (in years past).  They've somehow managed/learned to deal with GS's knockout punch attempts and have bounced back each time.

I'm kinda glad we lost last night to keep our play up moving forward, The warriors won once this season and went right back into cocky "we got this" mode talk especially from Draymond so I would rather go into a series with a over confident Warriors than a pissed off determined warriors which is exactly what we would have faced had we swept them. We lost by 2 at home and beat them without Harden in GS so I don't see the Rockets being intimidated by them at all. That series will go 7 again.

55 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

They were beatable last night, with Cousins playing lights out.  Rockets went through some horrible stretches and didn't look good most of the night.

This is a game the Rockets typically would have folded (in years past).  They've somehow managed/learned to deal with GS's knockout punch attempts and have bounced back each time.

GS isn't that mentally tough, otoh KD didn't play either  - although IMO they're better w/o him. 

Notice GS has multiple screens on each possession, Houston rarely does, just hero ball with Harden or Paul or Gordon -- who pass it if they get in trouble, but no screens . The rare screen comes when the dribbler is in trouble and someone comes to help, but the screen isn't part of the play initially (but a help option). That's one huge reason GS had so many open looks. 

One thing that was very apparent to me last night is how much Harden stands around 10 feet away from the 3pt line when he doesn't have the ball. Sometimes it's 14 seconds left ofn the shot clock before he even crosses halfcourt without the ball. Everyone talks about the "gravity" of Curry, and how he changes the GS offense like nobody else could, and it's true. The difference between the two is stark though, Curry's gravity is apparent on every play because he's either in a position to help make a play, or he's scaring the defense into keeping an extra eye on him. Nobody does that with Harden while he's chilling out near the sideline. He could do the same thing Curry does by weaving through the middle or running around the outside trying to get his man caught up in a pick, but instead he usually waits for someone to setup a handoff to him so he can do his thing. It really accentuates why the second rotation is so much better with CP3 running the show and Harden on the bench because they have a more cohesive offense with traditional plays, screens and movement to keep the defense guessing. 

House is f'n awesome, what a signing and congrats to him for improving so much over the last few years.   Game was uncomfortably close against one of the worst teams. Rox shooting has been shit lately, not a good timing. Team needs to work on a more traditional offense. 

4 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Harden likely out tomorrow, he hurt his neck again.

He had a fall on his back in the second half against the Suns. Methinks D'Antoni is taking a late-season lesson from the School of Popovich with all the Rockets players heading into the playoffs.

On another note, GSW and SAS did us right tonight by beating Thunder and Blazers, respectively.

15 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

He had a fall on his back in the second half against the Suns. Methinks D'Antoni is taking a late-season lesson from the School of Popovich with all the Rockets players heading into the playoffs.

On another note, GSW and SAS did us right tonight by beating Thunder and Blazers, respectively.

Yep, too bad Indiana couldn't hold their lead over Denver, but not really worried who has home court in the 2/3 matchup with them.

good night yesterday for Rox as OKC and Portland lost.  Now if Houston can capture #2, get HCA vs. Denver, that's huge because the series ends quicker with HCA.

on another note -- Hou vs. Minn tonight is ESPN.  Have the Rox been nationally televised more this year than any other season in their history? 

11 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

yeah apparently dantoni is gonna stagger guys and give them nights off rather than trying to get everyone 15 minutes or so.

i think it's a fine strategy to end the season, but i'd prefer he find a solid 9 man rotation for the playoffs.

Has Dantoni ever run a reasonable rotation ever in his entire coaching career?  I mean his short benches broke down the PHX teams in 05 & 06 and pretty much broke down the Rockets last year.  Each time he's been to the WCF he's lost to a lower seeded team too though perhaps that will change this season. That game vs Denver is Houston is going to be huge because a win will mean the Rockets hold the H2H tiebreaker with both GSW & DEN.

On 3/18/2019 at 8:46 AM, BigOrange1 said:

yeah apparently dantoni is gonna stagger guys and give them nights off rather than trying to get everyone 15 minutes or so.

i think it's a fine strategy to end the season, but i'd prefer he find a solid 9 man rotation for the playoffs.