2018-19 Houston Rockets Thread of running it back (mainly)

SEC

had a feeling they'd lose last night. Can't get up for Memphis after a home stand.  In the offseason, i hope they pursue a Big tough guy who rebounds, dunks and blocks - as a complement to Capela/Nene (final year). No need to be a 3 point stretch 5, just old school tough guy. Team is really undersized and needs height somewhere. 

Edited by NowThis

14 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Probably going to stick at 3rd as the ceiling after this loss. Trail Denver by 5 losses now with 10 games to go.

I'm pretty sure it was the ceiling even before the loss it was always going to be super tough to make up that amount of ground with such a short porch to go.  Just need Denver to stay in the 2 spot

13 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Maybe D'Antoni shouldn't rest players if it's gonna cost the Rockets playoff positioning. If they lose to the Spurs tonight, that'll be an even worse loss than the Grizzlies game.

As long as Shumpert is dropped from the rotation completely for the playoffs, I'm fine with it. He's been terrible so far and no reason for him to be playing over Rivers

28 minutes ago, goatsaag said:

As long as Shumpert is dropped from the rotation completely for the playoffs, I'm fine with it. He's been terrible so far and no reason for him to be playing over Rivers

someone explain why Ennis was dealt for this loser Shumpert. Some financial reason? 

sigh what a waste in Shumpert, sad losing Ennis who is doing well with Philly. 

Houston needs a big next year. I'm craving Javelle McGee who is only making $2.9mil (shumpert gets $11mil).  JM is exactly what they need.  Dump Shump, get JM some $, resign Green, Rivers and House, each is making nothing. This would be a big improvement for next year.  Can't expect Tucker and Gordon to score, rebound and guard much taller guys every single game. 

2 minutes ago, NowThis said:

Houston needs a big next year. I'm craving Javelle McGee who is only making $2.9mil (shumpert gets $11mil).  JM is exactly what they need.  Dump Shump, get JM some $, resign Green, Rivers and House, each is making nothing. This would be a big improvement for next year.  Can't expect Tucker and Gordon to score, rebound and guard much taller guys every single game. 

The Rockets definitely need size and rebounding. But enjoy this for now:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NowThis said:

Ennis hardly plays for Philly and when he does is under producing what he did here. Shumpert is a FA after the season, he is gone.

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Ennis hardly plays for Philly and when he does is under producing what he did here. Shumpert is a FA after the season, he is gone.

Ennis giving 7.6 pts in his last 10 games which is better than his overall season avg of 6.8pts.  Anyway, hes' a good tough role player and i'm sorry he's gone.

6 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I'm sorry, but you're dead wrong on this one.

https://sixerswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/20/james-ennis-iii-is-proving-to-be-a-difference-maker-for-sixers/

https://sixerswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/06/despite-loss-to-bulls-james-ennis-makes-case-for-regular-minutes/

He's been doing well for 76ers for some time now.

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Uh no.

He's had 3 good games against Chicago, Cleveland, and Charlotte (teams that are a combined 72-144), otherwise he's combined to shoot 11-40 (5-20) in the other games he has played.

He's also seen is PER decrease, his WS/48 decrease, his OBPM increase from -0.1 to -1.7, his DBPM increase from -0.2 to -1.7, and his ORtg decrease from 124 to 112.

The game after Charlotte, against Boston, he followed up his heroic effort, with a display of 2PTS(1/2)-2TRB -1AST-3 PF brilliance.

I'd rather have Ennis over Shumpret, but neither is/was going to play much in the playoffs for the Rockets.

Edited by HtownHorn

48 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Uh no.

He's had 3 good games against Chicago, Cleveland, and Charlotte (teams that are a combined 72-144), otherwise he's combined to shoot 11-40 (5-20) in the other games he has played.

He's also seen is PER decrease, his WS/48 decrease, his OBPM increase from -0.1 to -1.7, his DBPM increase from -0.2 to -1.7, and his ORtg decrease from 124 to 112.

The game after Charlotte, against Boston, he followed up his heroic effort, with a display of 2PTS(1/2)-2TRB -1AST-3 PF brilliance.

I'd rather have Ennis over Shumpret, but neither is/was going to play much in the playoffs for the Rockets.

those stats are not useful. 

Stats are ONE TOOL in looking at a player. There's the eyeball test which real fans understand is just as important. 

Harden with 61pts..... "World B. Free"

Rockets best chance to go anywhere in playoffs is dependent on CP3 staying healthy.  Due to Rockets overusage of Harden, Still expecting to see him either breakdown or crash by 2nd Rd of the playoffs....

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Rockets best chance to go anywhere in playoffs is dependent on CP3 staying healthy.  Due to Rockets overusage of Harden, Still expecting to see him either breakdown or crash by 2nd Rd of the playoffs....

This is biggest fear as well. Luckily this team is mostly veterans, but to see them continuously stand around watching Harden's greatness is not good. Those guys need to start playing better, though maybe D'Antoni needs to figure out his playoff rotation and roll with that a few games instead of giving everyone time off. This team has played a handful of games with their full rotation, they need game action.

26 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

"real fans", lulz. Ok. This discussion is stupid.

solely using stats isn't a perfect way to judge a player. That's why NBA scouts go to games, not even just watch on TV, but see a guy in person - because it's most useful. Otherwise just look at metrics to acquire a player, right? No, there's good 'data' to be had by seeing them play. 

6 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Harden won't break down because he is tired. The guy can score, but he isn't someone who can lead the team to victory in the playoffs. CP3 is that guy.

Edited by mycox

56 minutes ago, mycox said:

Harden won't break down because he is tired. The guy can score, but he isn't someone who can lead the team to victory in the playoffs. CP3 is that guy.

so tired of this shit.  "OMG, he wasn't able to close out the warriors and their 4 all stars down CP3, he can't win!!11!!"

I'm not talking about the Warriors series last year. Do you not remember seasons 2015 -20017 when all Harden did in the playoffs was dribble and turn the ball over? He can't lead the team.

Edited by mycox

Game 6 2017 vs Spurs - he played so badly ppl wondered if he was drugged or concussed.

Game 6  comeback vs. Clippers 2016 - he was having an awful game and watching from the bench.

Closeout game 6  vs. Warriors 2016 - didn’t he set a record for turnovers?

I can’t even really recall any good signature moments off the top of my head.  Think he played well in game 7 vs. the Clippers at home?

1 hour ago, BigOrange1 said:

so tired of this shit.  "OMG, he wasn't able to close out the warriors and their 4 all stars down CP3, he can't win!!11!!"

He has averaged 27.6, 5.5, 7.0 in the playoffs with the Rockets, yet, for some it's not enough. He's expected to lead inferior teams over better teams on the regular.

Game 6 2017 vs Spurs - he played so badly ppl wondered if he was drugged or concussed.
Game 6  comeback vs. Clippers 2016 - he was having an awful game and watching from the bench.
Closeout game 6  vs. Warriors 2016 - didn’t he set a record for turnovers?
I can’t even really recall any good signature moments off the top of my head.  Think he played well in game 7 vs. the Clippers at home?
EVERYBODY went off for the Rockets in that game.... but Harden was - 20 and only played 29 minutes. Shot 5/20.

1 hour ago, CurlyDumps said:

Game 6 2017 vs Spurs - he played so badly ppl wondered if he was drugged or concussed.  -- he, along with the rest of the team, was truly awful in this one.

Game 6  comeback vs. Clippers 2016 - he was having an awful game and watching from the bench. -- everyone was awful in this game until late in the fourth quarter when dwight howard and particularly josh smith and corey brewer all went off -- i guess this makes them playoff winners.  harden was good in game 7.

Closeout game 6  vs. Warriors 2016 - didn’t he set a record for turnovers?  -- he ran out of gas in this series (again, his best teammates were dwight howard, corey brewer, josh smith and jason terry.  he was 40/79 and averaging 32 ppg up until that point.  but since they lost, those numbers don't matter right?

I guess I remember those games differently. I remember them as Harden dribble the ball for 18 seconds and then shoot. Not just those games pointed out, but the entire series. CP3 is smart enough to pull Harden aside and tell him to get his head in the game. Harden is one of my favorite players, but I would rather have CP3 with the ball in his hands when the game is on the line.

Edited by mycox

As much as we wish it were true, CP3 ain’t that guy either. He’s only been to the conference finals once. Last year. And now he’s year older.

Enjoy the ride, but don’t be surprised when the wheels fall off again.

Comfortable win in New Orleans leads to clinching the playoff spot. That combined with GSW and Denver getting blown out in their last games makes the playoff race interesting. Can the Rockets get a win in Milwaukee? Hopefully D'Antoni is all hands on deck for that game - should be exciting.

• Like 1