2018-19 Houston Rockets Thread of running it back (mainly)

SEC

1 hour ago, Pimphand said:

The only hope we have is to win out and hope they pick up two losses.  It is possible given the remaining schedule strengths but it does seem unlikely.

They just got one of them. Dunno how they lost to the Blake Griffin-less Pistons (granted it was on the road). The Rockets and Blazers should have identical number of losses, but the Blazers hold the tiebreaker.

Edited by UDontKnow

Yeah that loss was a gift.

Yeah at this point we just need to lose one fewer game that's a lot more manageable.  Tankathon has us with the easiest schedule to go.. http://www.tankathon.com/remaining_schedule_strength

I am especially worried about that away game against the Clippers. It's the second night of a back to back and hopefully Harden doesn't have to go for 50+ to win against the Kings in Sac-town.

33 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

And yes I'm still bitter...

George Karl's defense would be illegal in today's NBA, but it used to frustrate Hakeem. It always amazed me how he went from a defense-first minded coach to an offensive coach. I guess that's what happens when your top player is Carmelo Anthony. 

2 hours ago, Pimphand said:

Well ideally GS would pull a 94 & 95 Sonics and fuck up early and get out of the way

over the years, being honest, i don't think Houston gets to either Finals had they encountered Seattle as the Sonics had a 14 game winning streak vs. Houston. See 1996 Playoffs as further proof. Also think that had Jordan not retired, Chicago 4 peats in 1994 - but IMO Houston's 1995 title was legit since Chicago wasn't the same team without Grant and they didn't have Rodman, kind of weak in the bigs. 

1 hour ago, NowThis said:

over the years, being honest, i don't think Houston gets to either Finals had they encountered Seattle as the Sonics had a 14 game winning streak vs. Houston. See 1996 Playoffs as further proof. Also think that had Jordan not retired, Chicago 4 peats in 1994 - but IMO Houston's 1995 title was legit since Chicago wasn't the same team without Grant and they didn't have Rodman, kind of weak in the bigs. 

The entire sports world was robbed of Hakeem versus MJ. The Rockets were not a good matchup for the Bulls, so it's not a guaranteed 4 peat.

• Like 1

Vernon Maxwell was the only player who could get MJ's goat during a game.   The Rockets were 5-1 vs the Bulls during their 1990-1993 three peat when mad max was on the team.  Obviously the Bulls not having any answer for Olajuwon was also a massive reason.

Edited by Pimphand
  • Like 3

Vernon Maxwell was the only player who could get MJ's goat during a game.   The Rockets were 5-1 vs the Bulls during their 1990-1993 three peat when mad max was on the team.  Obviously the Bulls not having any answer for Olajuwon was also a massive reason.

I truly believe Vernon could have made MJ throw a punch if they met in the finals. lol

4 hours ago, NowThis said:

Kenny Smith was such a pussy when he saw "The Glove", it was impossible to overcome.

Nuggets just lost a gimme at home to the Wizards. They have 25 losses and the Rockets have 28. There is a theoretical scenario where the Rockets end up #2 and the Nuggets fall to #3. But I'm satisfied so long as the Rockets stick at #3 (need another Blazers loss to ensure Rockets stay at #3 provided the Rockets continue winning).

5 hours ago, Pimphand said:

Houston was 1-1 vs. Chicago in 1994 though. It's too bad about Maxwell, not sure 100% why he left the Rockets.  I grew up in Houston and was a fan since 1980 with Moses but I don't know if Houston could have beaten MJ in those years or in 1994 had he played. 

35 minutes ago, NowThis said:

Houston was 1-1 vs. Chicago in 1994 though. It's too bad about Maxwell, not sure 100% why he left the Rockets.  I grew up in Houston and was a fan since 1980 with Moses but I don't know if Houston could have beaten MJ in those years or in 1994 had he played. 

He fell out with the Rockets after he went into the stands in Portland and punched a fan. IIRC, the fan was making fun of Vernon Maxwell because his daughter (I think her name was Amber) had died. I think he was banned for the entire post-season that year. It's worth remembering that Maxwell had gotten in plenty of trouble on and off the court during his time with the Rockets.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pimphand said:

Gerald Wilkins could get under MJ’s skin as well...

Vernon got cut from the Rockets the day after the Game 1 loss to Utah in 1995 after bitching to the media about playing time (even though he was selected to take the game tying/winning shot).  Then we went out hit set an NBA record for 3s in Game 2....

Edited by Ignatius

10 hours ago, NowThis said:

I would never have said the Rockets absolutely would have beaten the Bulls in the Finals but it's not the foregone conclusion that Chicago would win which seems to be the narrative the rest of the NBA world spins.

9 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:
11 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:
Fuckin good for nothin' T-Wolves. 

Also, we've clinched our division which I think means we've clinched a 1st round home court even if we fall to the 6 seed??

No, that's not how it works, that's not how any of this works!

I know there’s some playoff benefit. Does winning your division guarantee a top 4 seed but not home court? I want to say the Jazz did this a few seasons back 

Edited by perfectchaos007

5 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I know there’s some playoff benefit. Does winning your division guarantee a top 4 seed but not home court? I want to say the Jazz did this a few seasons back 

The only playoff benefit is as the 2nd tiebreaker after head to head record.

A 3 way tie between Houston, Denver, and Portland would net the Rockets the #2 seed, Denver the #3 seed, and Portland #4.

If Denver and Houston finished tied, Houston would have the #2 seed, while Denver would take the #3 seed.

Portland has to finish ahead of Denver in the standings, because even if they finished the season 2-2, Denver currently has a 2-0 lead, Denver is 10-2 against the division, while Portland is 5-9.

Rockets winning out and Denver/Portland splitting their pair would all but ensure the Rockets get the #2 seed.

Edited by HtownHorn

16 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Warriors are starting to look like playoff mode Warriors. We DO NOT want to face them second round. We need to do whatever we can to get out of that 4 seed spot even though we need help.

Tonight's game is massive if we can win vs the Clippers in LA tonight we get the two games at home vs the tank wars clubs then we close out at OKC.  Fortunately Portland has 5 games to go and the next 3 should yield at least one loss if not two hopefully.  I keep hoping the Thunder will continue to swirl down the drain such that they get locked into the 8 hole before we play them but I'm not sure about that given that the Spurs are playing in Denver tonight.

2 hours ago, Pimphand said:

Tonight's game is massive if we can win vs the Clippers in LA tonight we get the two games at home vs the tank wars clubs then we close out at OKC.  Fortunately Portland has 5 games to go and the next 3 should yield at least one loss if not two hopefully.  I keep hoping the Thunder will continue to swirl down the drain such that they get locked into the 8 hole before we play them but I'm not sure about that given that the Spurs are playing in Denver tonight.

Hopefully the Spurs do us a solid in Denver tonight.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2019 at 9:19 PM, UDontKnow said:

He fell out with the Rockets after he went into the stands in Portland and punched a fan. IIRC, the fan was making fun of Vernon Maxwell because his daughter (I think her name was Amber) had died. I think he was banned for the entire post-season that year. It's worth remembering that Maxwell had gotten in plenty of trouble on and off the court during his time with the Rockets.

I just remember that any time we would go to the Luby's on Buffalo Speedway, we would talk about the time Maxwell flashed his gun at someone in the parking lot.  At least, that's what I recall. 

3 minutes ago, runthebone said:

I just remember that any time we would go to the Luby's on Buffalo Speedway, we would talk about the time Maxwell flashed his gun at someone in the parking lot.  At least, that's what I recall. 

That happened.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1995/03/01/vernon-maxwells-mad-mad-world/2e808a17-2b05-4154-8b2f-805efeb4ee3e/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.0d0f7dc15560

I wonder if the author of this article is the same David Aldridge that did some sideline reporting for TNT.