Riot Bowl VII Thread

Al_4_ISU

8 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Riot Bowl?  Do these schools have a history together?

Together?  No.  Both have a history of rioting/destructive celebrations.  Iowa State used to have the largest student-run festival in the country, VEISHEA.  It was a week of non-stop partying that culminated in a wild Saturday that frequently ended in a riot when the cops tried to shut the party down (or just because the students felt like it).  WVU burns couches all over Morgantown after big wins.  They have a message board titled wemustignitethiscouch.com.

It's a joke that Wide Right Natty Lite & The Smoking Musket collaborated on when WVU joined the Big 12.  The respective fanbases get a kick out of it, and whole "Riot Bowl" thing is totally a fan promoted deal.  I'm sure the respective universities wince at the idea.

https://www.widerightnattylite.com/2012/6/11/3077402/introducing-the-riot-bowl

Edited by Al_4_ISU

41 minutes ago, Blanton said:

Let's go Clones!

Would love to go into the Bye week controlling our own destiny in conference play

What?

We play wv.  undefeated in conference and win the ccg?

We control our own destiny.  Keep winning mf’ers.

32 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Is there a trophy that goes with this?  If so, where would it be kept and displayed?

RIOT_BOWL_TROPHY.0.jpg

It's currently in my buddy's garage in West Des Moines, Iowa.  I realize this isn't in the spirit of a travelling trophy, but it has been to Morgantown, as evidenced by this picture.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

I just want to watch shit burn. Best chance of that is a close game with crappy officiating fucking up a critical call in the end which alters the game.

So... Go refs?!? Hmmmm that sounds worse than I thought it might.

That would never happen to Iowa State in a Big 12 game.  Never.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Eers vs. Clones.  Couches vs. Dumpsters.  Moonshine vs. Beer.

6:00PM Central FS1.  Jack Trice.  WVU -6.5

I'll take the Clones in the upset.  34-31.  Welch Ave burns to the ground.  #bringthecanhome

We flew into  Des Moine yesterday and have been touring around Ames.  Real nice folks so far and multiple invites to tailgates at the RV lot for tomorrow. 

Eating so far started with  last night dinner at Olde Main Brewing Co watched the TCU/TTU game.  It was Ok.  The servers in the bar were a lot of fun.  Like you suggested we had breakfast at The Grove (perfect breakfast dive) toured campus looking for women of low morals and daddy issues, and then had a great lunch at Cafe Beaudelaire.  That's my kind of place.  If we had time or come on the other side of the  back, I'd go there again.  I'm back at the Radisson resting up for tonight.  I think the plan is to start dinner at a place called Hickory Park and then go find a sports bar to drink rum and watch some games.   

One of the tailgates we were invited to was at the Vet school on the other side of the stadium from the RV lot.   Looking forward to tomorrow, meeting fun folks, and hopefully a good win (40-27) by my Mountaineers... 

Edited by Whitman
  • Like 2

The awesomeness of that travelling trophy cannot be stated accurately.  I, for one, somehow find myself pulling for ISU all buy one week of the season.

Also, ISU chicks seem kind of slutty hot and would be good at a party.  True or false?  

Edited by Dutch
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dutch said:

The awesomeness of that travelling trophy cannot be stated accurately.  I, for one, somehow find myself pulling for ISU all buy one week of the season.

Also, ISU chicks seem kind of slutty hot and would be good at a party.  True or false?  

Judging by all the fashion grads in NYC... extremely true.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Whitman said:

We flew into  Des Moine yesterday and have been touring around Ames.  Real nice folks so far and multiple invites to tailgates at the RV lot for tomorrow. 

Eating so far started with  last night dinner at Olde Main Brewing Co watched the TCU/TTU game.  It was Ok.  The servers in the bar were a lot of fun.  Like you suggested we had breakfast at The Grove (perfect breakfast dive) toured campus looking for women of low morals and daddy issues, and then had a great lunch at Cafe Beaudelaire.  That's my kind of place.  If we had time or come on the other side of the  back, I'd go there again.  I'm back at the Radisson resting up for tonight.  I think the plan is to start dinner at a place called Hickory Park and then go find a sports bar to drink rum and watch some games.   

One of the tailgates we were invited to was at the Vet school on the other side of the stadium from the RV lot.   Looking forward to tomorrow, meeting fun folks, and hopefully a good win (40-27) by my Mountaineers... 

I'd suggest not going to Hickory Park, but it's an Ames staple so I don't blame you either way.  Jethro's across the road has better BBQ, and Battle's (RIP George) was the best.

Welch Ave Station and Es Tas are my favorite sports bars.  Walkable (it's a long walk) from your hotel.  Vet Med lot is real close to your hotel.  Normally it would be kinda lame, but given that the grass lots were shut down due to the monsoon earlier this week, it should be fun.

Make sure to get a little Tip Top in tomorrow.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dutch said:

There's a reason I say that Ames was the best 5 years of my life.

ISU always got knocked for having an unfavorable guy to girl ratio (it's an ag/engineering school) compared to Iowa (big nursing and liberal arts school), but ISU girls would put out and you didn't need to spend $50 trying to get them drunk at some Guido bar to do it.  Sure, there were plenty of cornfed chicks, but there were lots of cute small town girls that liked to party.  It was never much of a struggle in my eyes.

The ratio has improved since my time (graduated in '07 and left town in '08) as the university has added 10k students.  The quality has gone up, too.  But the only college town I've ever thought had a lot of ugly chicks was Lincoln.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

3 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The ratio has improved since my time (graduated in '07 and left town in '08) as the university has added 10k students.  The quality has gone up, too.  But the only college town I've ever thought had a lot of ugly chicks was Lincoln.

A buddy from Nebraska always used to say that his college motto was "don't be afraid to go big early."

23 minutes ago, Whitman said:

Have a fried pork tenderloin while there.  And don't forget to see the world's largest concrete gnome.   

Edited by Nolacycling
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sushihorn said:

A buddy from Nebraska always used to say that his college motto was "don't be afraid to go big early."

I remember ending up at a house party the night before our game there in '07.  There was a hot tub in the house, and every girl in the hot tub had guts that hung out past their tits.  I mean another 6-7 beers and I probably wouldn't have batted an eye, but that was right about the time the kid who was getting in the Herby Husker suit the next day puked into the hot tub, and the stampede of screaming, nearly naked fat chicks was on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I remember ending up at a house party the night before our game there in '07.  There was a hot tub in the house, and every girl in the hot tub had guts that hung out past their tits.  I mean another 6-7 beers and I probably wouldn't have batted an eye, but that was right about the time the kid who was getting in the Herby Husker suit the next day puked into the hot tub, and the stampede of screaming, nearly naked fat chicks was on.

Memories. Good times.

Image result for fat chicks in bikini in hot tub

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Xian said:

I love how isu and wvu have formed this. 

Our basketball games with them have been must watch too.  It's like we found someone who plays old Big East style physical rough house basketball.  It makes Huggins a happy man.    

10 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, Whitman said:

Our basketball games with them have been must watch too.  It's like we found someone who plays old Big East style physical rough house basketball.  It makes Huggins a happy man.    

To say Riot Ball can get a little chippy is an understatement.

cropped_hogue-kick.gif

• Like 2

Just now, sushihorn said:

giphy.gif

It was actually pretty fucking hilarious.

This is after we had survived riding with my buddy's buddy's (who we were staying with) crazy side piece as she drove us to what was basically the equivalent of Bob's Country Bunker from the Blues Brothers, but full of fat people.  She was swerving across multiple lanes of traffic, yelling at us, and looking back into the back seat to make sure we were listening to her rant, as opposed to watching the road.

I really wish I had written down a recap when we got home.

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The crazy part is that I don't think we frequently play that physical of a style, but when it's time to play the Eers, the gloves come off.

It will be interesting to see how we play that in your face press defense this year without Jevon or Dax in the backcourt.  Jevon turned 40 so finally had to leave. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

Has a fling with an ISU chick. I caught feelings but she moved to Colorado a couple years ago. Kinkiest girl I ever had.

Because of her, ISU is my second B12 school. Miss that girl.

Fuck am up, Cyclones.

Mine was also an Iowa State.  Crazier than a shit house rat though.

18 hours ago, Whitman said:

After the game, win or lose, be sure and pen a post to their board about how great the ISU fans are and how much you enjoyed your time in such hallowed grounds.

I'm not sure if I want WV to win so they can come into Austin undefeated and we can kick their dicks in, or ISU to win to improve our chances at making the Big 12 Championship in case we lose a game or two down the road.  It's been so long since we've had a competitive team, I don't know what to do.

35 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Negged for "sappy".

That's an Americana classic sir.

I had to listen to JD on the radio for years when I was growing up. Your perspective may be different than mine on what was good music in the 70's. 

Edited to add: If you look at the top hits of '71 "Country Roads" is nestled in between songs by Donny Osmond and Tony Orlando and Dawn. It was a strange time. I love the song but to say it's NOT sappy/sentimental would be a lie. 

Edited by El Diablo
Sap

2 hours ago, Assman said:

I'm not sure if I want WV to win so they can come into Austin undefeated and we can kick their dicks in, or ISU to win to improve our chances at making the Big 12 Championship in case we lose a game or two down the road.  It's been so long since we've had a competitive team, I don't know what to do.

I’ll help. Hope we kick the shit out of ISU so that it doesn’t look as bad when we beat you guys in Austin.

You’re welcome.

2 hours ago, Assman said:

Here’s what you do: you quit being a pussy and act like you’ve been here before. It don’t make a shit what West Virginia or Iowa State do. We mudhole. 

• Like 1