Texas is being invaded by migrants

bernorange

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Interesting statistic...about 30 people move out of Austin each day.  Granted many of them are staying in Central Texas, but that's a decent chunk leaving every day.  Of course, that means a net increase of about 100/day, but that part doesn't get covered very much.  Austin I.S.D. is hemorrhaging students. 

The "I would only live in Austin if it were the old Austin from 30-40 years ago" has completely jumped the shark.  When somebody wants to wax nostalgic, I'm the first to pull up a seat and chat having been here 25 years myself.  But if they make that declarative statement like they're being remotely original, I just pass 'em by.  Nothing new here except some cranky asshole bitching about other people deciding to have families here.  It's not new, it's not poignant, it ain't even interesting.  If you're green, you're growing.  If you're ripe, you're rotting.  Much of this country is dying, we're lucky enough to live in a place that's booming.    

It is curious how some hardcore anti-immigrant Texans think a Mexican coming here to take a landscaping job or handyman service calls is somehow taking a white man's job.  But then a computer programmer from San Jose or an engineer from Newark or a finance guy from Chicago (whom are all either White or Asian in this scenario), those guys are literally coming here to literally take a job away from a Texan and somehow we just kind of accept that, make some anti-California joke, and move on.  One of them is coming here to just compliment the economy, the other is coming to Texas to literally snatch away a job from a white native Texan and you can't see the difference.  That's comical and that explains how our elections turn out I suppose /noCR

Can't have the jobs at all without people moving here from out of state to take some of them.  It's a good thing.

The “Austin has changed!” crowd has  jumped the shark. Shut the fuck up already.  I was born here and have lived here for most of my life. Back in the 70s my dad was bitching that Austin had changed.  In the 80s my siblings were saying Austin had changed. In the 90’s  all my friends were saying Austin had changed.  Now enough people have heard that shit that the entire fucking city is saying that Austin has changed. 

Every place changes.   It still by far the coolest town in Texas.  If you’re so fucking cool that you can’t handle what you call the “new Austin” then where have you moved to that is so much better?  

And the Californians?  Bring them on. The Californians moving to Austin aren’t the ones changing it, it’s these fuckheads that move here from Houston and Dallas and then act like they are somehow more old school Austin than the Californians... they’re not. Take your asses back to Houston, Dallas, and East Texas... I’ll keep the Californians here. They bitch less. 

Moved here in 1959 while in high school after Dad retired from the Army. Nice town then except for the segregation, lack of restaurants, blue laws, and the shitty 5:00-5:30 rush hour traffic on East Avenue between 1st Street & 19th.

and sometimes it was tough finding a parking place on Saturday night in front of the Paramount & State theaters.

Edited by Armybrat

On 10/17/2018 at 2:11 PM, BurntEyes said:

Well, FUCK HEAD, go to a bar in Austin meet 20 people and 19 of them won't be from Texas. 

Look at the politics of Austin City Council.

I'm not pandering for votes, I'm not exactly a person who lives a sedimentary life of the same routine. 37 year in Texas, 20 Years in Austin, 10 Years in Chicago, and now I'm done with that part of my life. 

You're getting defensive as fuck because you know, Austin isn't Texas anymore. It's a tourist town full of Non-Texans. You may well be a Texan, but you aren't living among them. 

Thirty years ago, it dawned on me why I didn’t enjoy business trips to Austin as much as other places. I scheduled my trips around various UT games whenever possible, but the thing I always liked the most about every other city in Texas were the people. They seemed more like the friends I had at UT. The more I thought about it, I could recall very few friends at UT who were from Austin, and most of my college friends left Austin after graduation.

When we moved back to (west of) Austin in the mid-90s, we made plenty of friends, but it seemed they were mostly from outside the core of the city.

I like Texans, and I concluded a long time ago that many, many Austinites enjoy the thought of being Texan, yet they don’t really like Texas or other Texans. It’s an odd pathology, but that’s how it strikes me, and it’s not just a recent thing. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

On 10/17/2018 at 2:13 PM, DaggerHorns said:

Fuck Californians. They already have made tremendous progress in fucking up this state.

They already saw it coming:

https://www.economist.com/leaders/2009/07/09/americas-future

Remove a few reference that date that article, and it could be republished today. 

8 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

The more I read these posts, the more I realize that almost everyone is at least partly correct. 

Except that couple that comes back to Austin after 10 years, asks you to drive them around so they can see their old haunts and they just whine the whole time about how this place is gone, that place has changed, and that other place is too new.  
Yeah thanks Rain Man, I didn't need your online correspondence course in real estate to realize that certain properties in cities change every 10 years.  
'Course, 'course...we use to go there for breakfast every other weekend...now it's gone.  Course, at 4:00p it was time for a margarita over there but now they don't have happy hour.  Yeah, definitely not happy hour.  Yeah, definitely different.  Different is bad, mkay.  Course, sometimes we'd go walking along the water there.  Is there still a river there where it's called the Colorado River.  Of course, yeah, in my day defintiely different water was in there.  Yeah, for sure.  

8 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Except that couple that comes back to Austin after 10 years, asks you to drive them around so they can see their old haunts and they just whine the whole time about how this place is gone, that place has changed, and that other place is too new.  
Yeah thanks Rain Man, I didn't need your online correspondence course in real estate to realize that certain properties in cities change every 10 years.  
'Course, 'course...we use to go there for breakfast every other weekend...now it's gone.  Course, at 4:00p it was time for a margarita over there but now they don't have happy hour.  Yeah, definitely not happy hour.  Yeah, definitely different.  Different is bad, mkay.  Course, sometimes we'd go walking along the water there.  Is there still a river there where it's called the Colorado River.  Of course, yeah, in my day defintiely different water was in there.  Yeah, for sure.  

Yeah, and remember when it was called Town Lake....

44 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I think Austinites broadly speaking love the cultural aspects of Texan-ness and dislike the political aspects of Texan-ness (and alternately love Austin's role as the haven of lefties and weirdos).  Strong disagree that that equates to Austinites not liking Texas or Texans.

Austinites’ disdain for just about everone and everyplace in Texas that is not Austin proliferates this message board. I understand the Dallas v Houston rivalry, but too often it’s Austin v The Rest of Texas. It may not sound like it, but a large part of me still loves Austin. There’s just a certain vibe I’ve always gotten about Austinites that gets me. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Austinites’ disdain for just about everone and everyplace in Texas that is not Austin proliferates this message board. I understand the Dallas v Houston rivalry, but too often it’s Austin v The Rest of Texas. It may not sound like it, but a large part of me still loves Austin. There’s just a certain vibe I’ve always gotten about Austinites that gets me. 

They were once the hot chick in H.S. that no one fawns over anymore. The allure of Austin was, and always has been, it’s uniqueness. It wasn’t a large business city like Dallas or Houston and it was a break from the “Texan-ess” of the rest of the State. But, when you think about it, what does Austin currently offer that Dallas doesn’t? The pretentious Austinite ego can’t handle the answer to that question. 

Edited by Spankytoes

2 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Dallas pretends to not care about Houston who hates Dallas.  Austin acts like why would anyone waste their time anywhere else when Austin exists (never mind that Austin is not metropolitan) and nobody cares about San Antonio at all.

I thought this was about the literal hordes of human beings migrating up Central America like the Hebrews leaving Egypt or swarms of bees migrating or something. Apple News and the Moose out front told me about it.

Edited by Guest

and nobody cares about San Antonio at all.

Good. Stay away. The dirty little secret to every one of these arguments is that any city with more than one million people has everything that all the other big cities have. Sure, they may vary in quantity and quality, but it's there and the premium that people pay to be close to something they only truly utilize a couple of times a year is ridiculous. "Does San Antonio have (insert Austin thing here)?" Probably not, but I'm just an hour away and paying half of what an Austinite pays to live. Sounds like I have the better end of the deal there.
  • Like 1

Yeah, I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that some of you in the "Austin isn't enough like Texas as the rest of Texas" camp also think that Brownsville to Laredo isn't white enough, Amarillo is too "Great Plains", some East Texas cities are too black, El Paso is too Mexico, and a lot of big chunks of Dallas and Houston are too hoity-toity.  I think you'd be quite comfortable in West Canaan talking about how you coulda won state, but are otherwise terribly uncomfortable in most parts of any society, let alone Texas.  

I live in transplant central now (Collin County) and I am a transplant myself. Honestly, one thing I like about the Dallas area compared to Houston and Austin is that generally speaking, nobody is trying to prove to anybody else how hipster/alternative/liberal/whatever they are... Austin definitely got that party started, but there are so many obnoxious Houston hipsters who think they’re God’s gift because they went to an upscale thrift shop in Montrose, took a photo at the Menil Collection, went to happy hour at Anvil, and then retired to their studio in EaDo. And then documented it all on instagram. 

Maybe I’m just hanging out with the wrong crowd up here, but I find it much easier to deal with the Uptown douchebag than the Houston/Austin hipster. 

7 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

You need to go by SMU where the North Dallas Bueatiful People live, other than that the burbs aren't to much like that.

Nah, sorry if I didn’t make that clear. It’s not beautiful people that bother me. It’s the faux-hippies (hipsters). 

Generally speaking, the HP (or River Oaks, or in Boston, where I grew up, the Back Bay) people know they have money and act like it. 

The closest equivalent in Dallas to what I’m talking about might be Deep Ellum or Bishop Arts.

58 minutes ago, RiceOwl said:

Nah, sorry if I didn’t make that clear. It’s not beautiful people that bother me. It’s the faux-hippies (hipsters). 

Generally speaking, the HP (or River Oaks, or in Boston, where I grew up, the Back Bay) people know they have money and act like it. 

The closest equivalent in Dallas to what I’m talking about might be Deep Ellum or Bishop Arts.

Word.

18 minutes ago, Updawg said:

Sounds like Dallas is perfect for you then. Enjoy

There is a lid for every pot. We should actually be a lot more tolerant that we are (everyone, including me) of accepting that our lifestyle/values/desires which we think are awesome, doesn't mean are great for everyone. Isn't that geographic-ethnocentricism at it's core?

If you want to let your freak flag fly and love the scene and don't mind the negatives, then great, go live in Castro or whatever.

If you want a safe, good school district without a lot of crime and diversity, great for you.

If you want a city that whatever you like about Austin does for you, great for you.

So on and so on. Why are we so judgy-wudgy about how and where people choose to settle down and put roots and live? Just avoid what you don't like and group with where you want to be and do like.

1 hour ago, RiceOwl said:

I live in transplant central now (Collin County) and I am a transplant myself. Honestly, one thing I like about the Dallas area compared to Houston and Austin is that generally speaking, nobody is trying to prove to anybody else how hipster/alternative/liberal/whatever they are... Austin definitely got that party started, but there are so many obnoxious Houston hipsters who think they’re God’s gift because they went to an upscale thrift shop in Montrose, took a photo at the Menil Collection, went to happy hour at Anvil, and then retired to their studio in EaDo. And then documented it all on instagram. 

Maybe I’m just hanging out with the wrong crowd up here, but I find it much easier to deal with the Uptown douchebag than the Houston/Austin hipster. 

#eastendhouston

50 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

There is a lid for every pot. We should actually be a lot more tolerant that we are (everyone, including me) of accepting that our lifestyle/values/desires which we think are awesome, doesn't mean are great for everyone. Isn't that geographic-ethnocentricism at it's core?

If you want to let your freak flag fly and love the scene and don't mind the negatives, then great, go live in Castro or whatever.

If you want a safe, good school district without a lot of crime and diversity, great for you.

If you want a city that whatever you like about Austin does for you, great for you.

So on and so on. Why are we so judgy-wudgy about how and where people choose to settle down and put roots and live? Just avoid what you don't like and group with where you want to be and do like.

This is kinda what I was about to post, a bit.

Anyone pissed at Austin because Austin is "hardly a part of Texas", that's kinda been the thing about Austin for decades.  Talking about the switch from Slacker to Silicon Valley is a different thing.  But San Marcos is nearby.  If you want to live in a part of Texas that's more like <insert whichever part of Texas feels comfortable to you>, it's a big state.  Go with our blessing.

I think Houston has gotten more uppity lately with the "most diverse city" label and rightly so - it has a lot to offer.

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

I think Houston has gotten more uppity lately with the "most diverse city" label and rightly so - it has a lot to offer.

Fun fact: Laredo, at about 94% hispanic, is the least diverse city over 200k in America. So arguably the most diverse and least diverse large cities in the country are in the same state.