Caravan

gsoda3

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

"Such pressures on U.S. border cities like El Paso, Texas, which is across from Ciudad Juárez, are evident in the number of apprehensions for illegal entry, which is up 478 percent this year. As of this week, there have been 43,238 apprehensions in the El Paso sector this fiscal year – compared to 7,481 at this same point last year, according to U.S. Customs and Border Protection. "

Sounds like a crisis

https://www.foxnews.com/world/new-caravan-forms-as-mexican-cities-that-border-us-keep-swelling-with-migrants

Sounds like our policies aren't doing much to keep immigrants from trying to get in the United States. I wonder how many are getting through.

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

Ah yes, fox news, the beacon of fact-based reporting. Please show me that facts that they're citing for their argument. Because I really doubt that there have been over 40k apprehensions just near el paso.

Seriously, if someone doesn't give a reason to believe them, we've no reason to believe them.

On 2/11/2019 at 12:38 AM, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

For those against asylum seekers coming here, let me ask you this: how bad does something have to be before you would relent and be open to the idea of granting asylum to those in need?

Let's run through a very real scenario that happens today and compare the positions. North Korean asylum seekers flee North Korea into China because of the extremely oppressive nature they face at the hands of the government as well as the fact that there is little if any food and no possible way to grow economically as an individual within North Korea. If someone is captured by the Chinese then return to North Korea, they face among the hardest conditions of anyone on the planet just for trying to find a better life.

So the question is this, do the people that are coming here in the caravans from Central and South America need to be facing the same kind of scrutiny and oppression as that of the North Koreans before you would change your position? Or are we actually going to be better than that and recognize that these are human beings and we are supposed to be the world leaders of acceptance and diversity?

Well, you see, if only they looked like us.

It is funny how the same anti-immigrant canard is rolled out generation after generation. "Those past immigrants were different, these new ones will never assimilate." Notice the Irishman waving a flag that isn't an American flag?

Puck-Mortar-of-Assimilation.jpg

They never did assimilate.

stpatricksparade.jpg

Edited by F250
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, F250 said:

It is funny how the same anti-immigrant canard is rolled out generation after generation. "Those past immigrants were different, these new ones will never assimilate."

Exactly. Only the names change. The underlying sentiment never does

• Like 2

Another thing that trips me out about this thread is Icono's posts.

As a little kid in the early 1980's, I remember the Iranian refugees that were attempting to integrate into our local community while being faced with racism. People talked so much shit to the Iranians and they were about as welcome in our community as an Arab was after 9/11.

I also remember hearing adults say Iranians didn't bathe regularly nor wash their hands after taking a dump. Don't eat their food, they eat with their bare hands. "Never shake an Iranian's hand because they wipe their ass barehanded." They smell like arm pits because they don't wear deodorant. These things were repeated often while the men laughed and the women would gross out.

Anyways, not all families treated the Iranians this way. My older sister was friends with an Iranian girl and our families shared meals together. After a number of years there was integration but it started with the Hispanic and mixed families. The Hispanic and Anglo/Hispanic mixed families were the first to open up their homes to the Iranians in our community.

A generation later, we have a product of Iranian immigration shitting on immigrants from the same ethnic group that welcomed his own people.

Sad!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, F250 said:

It is funny how the same anti-immigrant canard is rolled out generation after generation. "Those past immigrants were different, these new ones will never assimilate." Notice the Irishman waving a flag that isn't an American flag?

We had some strange immigrants in those days: Chinese looking ape-people dressed like Elmer Fudd, Irish looking ape-people dressed like Delino Deshields with bloody knives, dirty garden gnome bastards from I don't know what country, Waylon Jennings.  I'm no phrenologist but some of those forehead slopes cannot have been good.  

7 hours ago, F250 said:

Another thing that trips me out about this thread is Icono's posts.

As a little kid in the early 1980's, I remember the Iranian refugees that were attempting to integrate into our local community while being faced with racism. People talked so much shit to the Iranians and they were about as welcome in our community as an Arab was after 9/11.

I also remember hearing adults say Iranians didn't bathe regularly nor wash their hands after taking a dump. Don't eat their food, they eat with their bare hands. "Never shake an Iranian's hand because they wipe their ass barehanded." They smell like arm pits because they don't wear deodorant. These things were repeated often while the men laughed and the women would gross out.

Anyways, not all families treated the Iranians this way. My older sister was friends with an Iranian girl and our families shared meals together. After a number of years there was integration but it started with the Hispanic and mixed families. The Hispanic and Anglo/Hispanic mixed families were the first to open up their homes to the Iranians in our community.

A generation later, we have a product of Iranian immigration shitting on immigrants from the same ethnic group that welcomed his own people.

Sad!

Oh it's always been like that too. I cannot for the life of me comprehend why there was such open hostility towards, of all people, the fucking Irish in a country that comprised mostly of immigrants from the British Isles. It's maddening, but it does happen.

2 hours ago, tjhooker said:

Did they come here legally or illegal? 

It's not about legal/illegal; it's about ethnicity. My extended family, for example, is predominantly Celtic-blooded genetically (Scotland/Ireland/Wales), and some of them do have these anti-immigration views, but I'll be goddamned if any of them would be hostile towards illegal Scotsmen or Irishmen. When they prattle on about "illegal immigration," they're really just talking about Latin Americans.

And forget my family, just look at your own prejudice. When you see someone of Chinese, Korean, or Indian descent, do you ever question whether or not they're illegal? 

In Icono's case, given that it was during the reign of the Shah, I'd chalk that up to "refugee," which is what the Salvadorans/Guatemalans/Hondurans are trying to do right now especially since they live in far worse conditions (which, like Iran under the Shah, we imposed). I guarantee you Icono has no issue whatsoever with Iranians coming here illegally today, even if he trolls that he does here on Surlyhorns.

That question that you posted is just a pretext. 

Edited by hpslugga
  • Like 3

Another thing that trips me out about this thread is Icono's posts. As a little kid in the early 1980's, I remember the Iranian refugees that were attempting to integrate into our local community while being faced with racism. People talked so much shit to the Iranians and they were about as welcome in our community as an Arab was after 9/11.

Sad!

You mean I am following a long time American tradition as a born in America native turning his back on today’s immigrants. 410809d167d25734fc1f6685dcd59246.jpg

8a9346e9c6beef80459105c4c13f6d35.jpg

I am an immigration hardliner with everyone hpslugga. I have no problem with Trump’s ban of Iranians coming to this country because of the actions of the Islamofascist government. I support putting pressure on that government by every available means sans invasion.

You might think I am an unfeeling asshole. I understand why the migrants are coming. I don’t think encouraging them to come to get fucked by coyotes and left stranded in the desert or raped is being compassionate. Save the money from the wall and send it to Honduras and El Salvador and help those countries so the migrant caravans can stop by alleviating the corruption and violence.

• Like 1

I am an immigration hardliner with everyone hpslugga. I have no problem with Trump’s ban of Iranians coming to this country because of the actions of the Islamofascist government. I support putting pressure on that government by every available means sans invasion.

You might think I am an unfeeling asshole. I understand why the migrants are coming. I don’t think encouraging them to come to get fucked by coyotes and left stranded in the desert or raped is being compassionate. Save the money from the wall and send it to Honduras and El Salvador and help those countries so the migrant caravans can be alleviated by improvements

Holy shit...that second paragraph is rational, decent, and sane. Who the fuck got hold of Icono’s login?
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

You think the Irish immigrants were holding Irish flags as they tried to illegally enter the US? False analogy. 

Also, many of you confuse people being against illegal immigration as being opposed to all immigration.  That is far from the case but it allows you to put people into neat little racist boxes. 

I was mocking your statement for it's stupidity. Oh no, I see someone not carrying a U.S. flag, what could that mean?

4 hours ago, hpslugga said:

Oh it's always been like that too. I cannot for the life of me comprehend why there was such open hostility towards, of all people, the fucking Irish in a country that comprised mostly of immigrants from the British Isles. It's maddening, but it does happen.

uh, the english currently feel like this about the irish (not all of them, of course, but this one can't be the only one thinking it):

an unnamed member of Parliament reportedly told a BBC columnist that same month, adding: “The Irish really should know their place.”

now move the clock backward a couple hundred years from that point. 

Edited by elfenix

43 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

You think the Irish immigrants were holding Irish flags as they tried to illegally enter the US? False analogy. 

Also, many of you confuse people being against illegal immigration as being opposed to all immigration.  That is far from the case but it allows you to put people into neat little racist boxes. 

Boxes like saying Dems that support border security but no wall are for open borders? 

Like those boxes? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

If you are wanting a country to let you in because you think it is better there then I would be holding the flag of the country I wanted to let me in and not the one I am leaving. 

Someone holding a flag doesn't seem odd, most people usually associate flags with their ethnicities here in the U.S. for example St. Patrick's Day, Wurstfest, Columbus Day, Cinco de Mayo, etc... That isn't even unique to the U.S. I've seen Union Jack's in British expat places overseas. It's just something people do.

25 minutes ago, elfenix said:

uh, the english currently feel like this about the irish

Well the english are pricks like that. 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Holy shit...that second paragraph is rational, decent, and sane. Who the fuck got hold of Icono’s login?

It's either a hack, or it's disingenuous at best. It wasn't long ago on this thread that he was praising every single effort the Trump administration has made, and now he's "advocating" for steps that everyone and their fucking mother knows they will not take. It's like when Cartman said "I broke the dam" after everyone else did.

Take this dissertation on rocket surgery from just a month ago: 

"It would be worth it for a Democrat to get elected espousing such bullshit because it would lead to a backlash so severe that the GOP would rule for a generation and we would then finally put a stop to illegal immigration once and for all."

The GOP and Trump's position(s) on immigration is certainly not to curtail it via "save the money from the wall and send it to Honduras and El Salvador and help those countries so the migrant caravans can be alleviated by improvements."

Wanna know how I know that? Because 1) they're the party of the Wall and 2) if that indeed was their platform, I'd endorse it. I do not endorse their platform because their platform, more or less, is this other example of a brain science dissertation from Icono which reads:

"Finally, it’s attitudes of illegals who say shit like this that pisses me off and why I’ll never support a hayden horn “let them all in” policy.

”I honestly don’t want to cross illegally, but I don’t really have a choice,” said Mr. Moreno, 37.”

you have a motherfucking choice. Stay in Mexico or go back to the shithole you came from, learn English, get an education and try to immigrate legally and actually have something worthwhile to add to this country."

I've seen more morality and honesty from Ahrimanism than from that verbal effluvia. 

Edited by hpslugga
  • Like 1

Shout out to our southern neighbor by being a good neighbor by trying to stem the tide of Central American migrants that threaten the prosperity of both Mexico and the US. Neither country benefits from having poor, uneducated people assault our borders, hopefully, the Central Americans are getting more discouraged from coming. We can try to help them with some more foreign aid to help combat the gangs. I have been impressed with AMLO so far and a couple of my Mexican friends are very pleased with him too. Contrary to what some idiots here might think, I love Mexico and think it is being held back from being a powerhouse by the cartels. Putting his money where his mouth is and is leading by example by reducing extravagance. Viva la México!

“Mexican officials are carrying out the Trump administration’s immigration agenda across broad stretches of the border, undercutting the Mexican government’s promises to defend migrants and support their search for a better life.

The Mexican authorities are blocking groups of migrants at border towns, refusing to allow them onto international bridges to apply for asylum in the United States, intercepting unaccompanied minors before they can reach American soil, and helping to manage lists of asylum seekers on behalf of the American authorities to limit the number of people crossing the border.

Breaking with decades of asylum practice, the Mexican government has also allowed the Trump administration to send more than 120 men, women and children to Tijuana while they await decisions on their asylum applications in the United States. The program could be expanded to other border crossings as soon as next week.

Officials inside the administration of Mexico’s new president, Andrés Manuel López Obrador, have called his stance on migrants a strategic decision not to anger President Trump.”

Mexico Is Carrying Out Trump’s Agenda Along Much of the Border

March 1, 2019

President Andrés Manuel López Obrador announces in Reynosa, Mexico, a plan to spur the economy and improve living and working conditions along the border.Meridith Kohut for The New York Times

merlin_148837320_4216257e-0644-44c5-b948
President Andrés Manuel López Obrador announces in Reynosa, Mexico, a plan to spur the economy and improve living and working conditions along the border.Meridith Kohut for The New York Times

MEXICO CITY — Mexican officials are carrying out the Trump administration’s immigration agenda across broad stretches of the border, undercutting the Mexican government’s promises to defend migrants and support their search for a better life.

The Mexican authorities are blocking groups of migrants at border towns, refusing to allow them onto international bridges to apply for asylum in the United States, intercepting unaccompanied minors before they can reach American soil, and helping to manage lists of asylum seekers on behalf of the American authorities to limit the number of people crossing the border.

Breaking with decades of asylum practice, the Mexican government has also allowed the Trump administration to send more than 120 men, women and children to Tijuana while they await decisions on their asylum applications in the United States. The program could be expanded to other border crossings as soon as next week.

Officials inside the administration of Mexico’s new president, Andrés Manuel López Obrador, have called his stance on migrants a strategic decision not to anger President Trump.

He doesn’t believe he can change Mr. Trump’s mind, they contend. Furthermore, the officials say, Mr. López Obrador has not wanted to jeopardize other aspects of the deeply interconnected relationship between the two countries, ranging from elaborate regional trading arrangements to information sharing on border security, transnational crime and terrorism. So he has avoided a bruising and potentially costly public fight over the issue.

A lifelong defender of the poor, Mr. López Obrador often refers to his plans for Mexico as a grand transformation, placing his ambitions for the nation on par with those of its great leaders.

Asylum seekers who have been waiting weeks for their turn to cross from Nuevo Laredo, Mexico, into Laredo, in the United States, camp out on the border crossing bridge in January.Meridith Kohut for The New York Times

merlin_149152311_b1937065-6d8b-4966-80bc
Asylum seekers who have been waiting weeks for their turn to cross from Nuevo Laredo, Mexico, into Laredo, in the United States, camp out on the border crossing bridge in January.Meridith Kohut for The New York Times

He has burnished his everyman credentials by cutting government salaries, flying coach around the country and opening the opulent presidential palace to the public. He has also vastly reduced the number of Central American migrants Mexico deports from its soil.

But not everything has transformed.

Exhibit A is the Migrant Protection Protocols, the Trump administration’s policy to require asylum seekers to remain on the Mexican side of the border while they await decisions on their fate. Rights groups contend that it dumps migrants in an increasingly violent Mexico and impairs their access to legal counsel and family support in the United States.

Mr. López Obrador’s administration, which came into office saying it would not cooperate with Mr. Trump’s anti-immigration agenda, has gone along with it on several fronts, including accepting women and children despite earlier promises to take only adult male asylum seekers.

But for Mr. López Obrador, giving in to some of Mr. Trump’s border demands and rarely saying a word against the American president in his daily press briefings carries little political cost at home.

[Read the latest edition of Crossing the Border, a limited-run newsletter about life where the United States and Mexico meet. Sign up here to receive the next issue in your inbox.]

To many Mexicans, the fate of migrants is secondary to domestic concerns about jobs, security and corruption. Mr. López Obrador retains an 80 percent approval rating, despite his government’s willingness to take back migrants applying for asylum in the United States.

The bridge over the Rio Grande at the border between McAllen, in the United States, and Reynosa, one of the most dangerous cities in Mexico.Meridith Kohut for The New York Times

The bridge over the Rio Grande at the border between McAllen, in the United States, and Reynosa, one of the most dangerous cities in Mexico.Meridith Kohut for The New York Times

“If we have to accept a handful of people back into Mexico, that’s not really a problem for us, not even politically,” said one official who was not authorized to discuss internal deliberations. “What we really want to avoid is a public fight with Trump.”

But in its effort to avoid a cross-border fight, the Mexican government has chosen politics over its humanitarian ideals, critics contend.

“Mexico is continuing to play the role that the U.S. thinks it should, which is to contain the migrant influx, period,” said Melissa Vertiz Hernández, who coordinates the Working Group on Immigration Policy, a network of civil society and rights groups in Mexico.

The delicate balance with the United States has left the Mexican government without a clear, consistent immigration policy, so Mexican states and municipalities along the border are often in the position of fending for themselves under pressure from their American counterparts.

In the Mexican border city of Reynosa, for instance, almost no one is allowed to cross the bridge to apply for asylum in neighboring McAllen, Texas. They are typically blocked or apprehended by Mexican officials, forcing migrants to try their luck in other towns.

In the city of Piedras Negras, officials rounded up hundreds of migrants who arrived in a caravan in recent weeks and kept them under tight watch in a shelter with limited access to outsiders, advocates say. After a public outcry, the center was closed and many were bused to other cities and towns along the border.

An orientation session for Mexican migrants, haggard from weeks in detention in the United States, soon after they were deported to Mexico in January.Meridith Kohut for The New York Times

An orientation session for Mexican migrants, haggard from weeks in detention in the United States, soon after they were deported to Mexico in January.Meridith Kohut for The New York Times

The mayor of Ciudad Juárez, meanwhile, has threatened to sue a neighboring governor for shipping migrants to his town. It has become a game of political hot potato, with desperate Central Americans who are fleeing poverty and violence caught in the middle.

Elsewhere along the border, shelter officials say they manage lists of asylum applicants by name, nationality, age and documentation to assist Mexican officials who are complying with American border patrol mandates.

The Mexican government is resisting Mr. Trump in some ways, the official in Mr. López Obrador’s government insisted. Even acquiescing to the Trump administration on the Migrant Protection Protocols was done strategically, according to the official and two others briefed on the plan.

By allowing the program to start in San Diego and Tijuana, the Mexican officials argued, legal challenges to it in the United States go to the federal courts in the Northern District of California, which are generally seen as liberal. This matters at a time when many Americans are focused on how to beat Mr. Trump in the 2020 elections, in particular by leveraging the Mexican-American vote.

But many activists are far from confident that a legal challenge will put an end to the program.

“I think it’s an incredibly risky move,” said Stephanie Leutert, the director of the Mexico Security Initiative at the University of Texas at Austin. “I don’t think you should put your country’s foreign and migratory policy in the hands of a civil society organization in another country.”

On Feb. 14, that civil society organization, the American Civil Liberties Union, and several other advocacy groups filed a lawsuit challenging the Trump administration’s policy. A decision on a temporary restraining order is expected in the coming days.

Men rest at a migrant shelter by the Rio Grande in Reynosa, Mexico, near the border crossing leading to McAllen, in the United States.Meridith Kohut for The New York Times

Men rest at a migrant shelter by the Rio Grande in Reynosa, Mexico, near the border crossing leading to McAllen, in the United States.Meridith Kohut for The New York Times

The lawsuit, filed on behalf of 11 asylum seekers who were returned to Mexico in recent weeks, accuses the Trump administration of violating federal and international migration and human rights laws.

Advocates contend that by forcibly sending asylum seekers to Tijuana, the Trump administration has plunged them into an unfamiliar and dangerous environment where their lives may be in jeopardy.

Killings in Tijuana have skyrocketed in recent years because of a turf war in the local drug market. In 2018, the city suffered its deadliest year on record, with more than 2,500 killings.

The Trump administration first announced the new policy in December, and on Jan. 28 the head of Mexico’s migration agency said the Mexican government had imposed restrictions on its enactment.

But Mexican officials have backed down from many of those initial restrictions, including its refusal to accept women with children. Trump administration officials have said they plan to expand the program to other ports of entry along the border. The López Obrador administration has said little publicly about the changes.

In Tijuana, several of the returnees — three single men, a single woman, and two mothers each traveling with three children — described their confusion and dismay at finding themselves in Mexico once again.

Members of the U.S. Border Police patrol the banks of the river that divides the cities of Piedras Negras in Mexico and Eagle Pass in the United States.Julio Cesar Aguilar/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images

Members of the U.S. Border Police patrol the banks of the river that divides the cities of Piedras Negras in Mexico and Eagle Pass in the United States.Julio Cesar Aguilar/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images

“I have no idea how I’m going to survive,” said Yanira, a 34-year-old migrant from El Salvador who feared being pursued by the people she said she was fleeing in her home country.

Yanira said she left El Salvador with her three children — ages 8, 11 and 12 — after a local gang tried to recruit her middle child and threatened violence unless he agreed.

When she stepped onto Mexican soil again after being led back across the border by American officials, she broke down.

“I cried and cried,” she recalled.

Mexican officials have said they cannot provide shelter and care for the returnees, essentially leaving them to a network of community groups in Tijuana and elsewhere in the state of Baja California.

But the shelter network has been under extraordinary pressure from the almost-continual arrival of migrants traveling in caravans, who have pushed the centers beyond capacity.

Sister Salomé Limas, a social worker at the Instituto Madre Asunta migrant shelter in Tijuana, said it is currently housing about 120 women and children — in a space designed for 44.

Among the migrants are several families who are seeking asylum in the United States and were returned in recent weeks under the Trump policy.

Sister Salomé said the shelter can house the families until their first court date in the United States, in late March. After that, she is not sure.

“What’s going to happen to them?” she said. “We don’t know.”

Paulina Villegas contributed reporting from Mexico City.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

According to the documents, over a thousand allegations of sexual abuse against unaccompanied minors in HHS custody were reported to federal authorities each fiscal year since 2015. In total, between October 2014 and July 2018, 4,556 sexual abuse complaints were reported to the Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) — an agency within HHS in charge of caring for unaccompanied migrant minors. 

An additional 1,303 complaints were received by the Justice Department between fiscal years 2015 and 2018, but it's unclear whether these complaints overlap with those reported to ORR. 

Sickening

So While Mexico is not paying for the wall, at least it is paying the costs of supporting the migrants while they wait for the US to decide whether to let them on. They are limiting the numbers of asylum applicants at ports of entry. Well done President Trump.

Much thanks to the NYT for their article today that makes the case for President Trump’s emergency declaration for a border wall that is desperately needed. They try to blame it on Trump in the middle of the article. For elfenix’s sake, I will not post the entire article because he bitched about not having the spoiler tag operational on Tapatalk. See what a nice guy I am that I care for the wishes of a poster that I disagree with. What is going on is an invasion and I’m sick and tired of people trying to say that there isn’t a problem. Apprehensions are at a record. That talking point for liberals is gone. Even if it was true, it’s like claiming that your open wound is oozing blood at a slower pace. You’re still going to fucking die if it doesn’t stop. That’s what’s happening to our country as a result of illegal immigration. Our nation of laws is being corrupted by those here illegally and flaunting it, citizens are paying for the schooling and health care of illegal immigrants and citizens are suffering from crimes committed by a small percentage of illegals who shouldn’t be here in the first place.  This is fucking insanity to let this continue and Democrats should be ashamed of themselves for not protecting the citizens of this country and looking out for the needs of illegals. The asylum process is broken and needs to be ripped into shreds and rewritten. We’re in a completely different era with the ease of movement and communications and standards set in the 50s no longer apply. This country is at a breaking point. Thank you President Trump for trying to do fucking something about this. MAGA. Here are some snippets from the article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/05/us/border-crossing-increase.html

Border at ‘Breaking Point’ as More than 76,000 Migrants Cross in a Month

For the fourth time in five months, the number of migrant families crossing the southwest border has broken records, border enforcement authorities said Tuesday, warning that government facilities are full and agents are overwhelmed.

More than 76,000 migrants crossed the border without authorization in February, more than double the levels from the same period last year and approaching the largest numbers seen in any February in the last 12 years.

“The system is well beyond capacity, and remains at the breaking point,” Kevin K. McAleenan, commissioner of Customs and Border Protection, told reporters in announcing the new data.

“We had never seen these kinds of numbers,” said Ruben Garcia, the director of the organization, called Annunciation House. He said that during one week in February, immigration authorities had released more than 3,600 migrants to his organization, the highest number in any single week since the group’s founding in 1978.

As of March 3, 268,044 migrants had been apprehended along the southwest border since the fiscal year began in October, a 97 percent increase from the previous year, according to government figures.

Recently, though, the agency has also begun releasing single adults into the country because of backups that now extend to Immigration and Customs Enforcement detention facilities across the country, where adult detainees are traditionally held until their immigration court cases are resolved.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

What is the problem again?  How can we afford to detain all these people?  Wouldn’t it just be cheaper to let them all find work and contribute to the economy on a work visa or something? 

How about they declare asylum in the first country that they reach safety to which is what is supposed to happen. That country is México. AMLO appears to be helping us thankfully. Both Mexico and the US need to coordinate and do whatever it takes to stop this shit. Send foreign aid and build the fucking wall on Mexico’s southern border.

By your logic everyone who steps foot in this country should be allowed to stay. Is that what you’re saying. Farhad Manjoo made that argument and even liberals thought that went too far. The “give me your tired and poor” era is over. We are not a sparsely populated country with a vast amount of territory that needed to be settled. There are finite resources. America for Americans.

2 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

How about they declare asylum in the first country that they reach safety to which is what is supposed to happen. That country is México. AMLO appears to be helping us thankfully. Both Mexico and the US need to coordinate and do whatever it takes to stop this shit. Send foreign aid and build the fucking wall on Mexico’s southern border.

It's never going to stop.

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It's never going to stop.

It will with a wall and the use of force if necessary. I’m going to see Israel’s separation barrier up close and personal soon. That should be the model to follow. 

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

No, it won't. It's never going to stop and there's never going to be a wall.

We should just let our country be overrun then. That’s how much you care about your country to let it happen. Israel has shown the way to keep people hostile to their way of life out. That’s who we need to pattern our country after 

Just now, Iconoclast Texan said:

We should just let our country be overrun then. That’s how much you care about your country to let it happen. Israel has shown the way to keep people hostile to their way of life out. That’s who we need to pattern our country after 

That's a straw man. 

5 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

It will with a wall. I’m going to see Israel’s separation barrier up close and personal soon. That should be the model to follow. 

West Bank is about the size of Rhode Island, and the IDF controls both sides of that wall.  Unless we are going to forcibly take over Mexico, a wall is useless.  It can keep people in, but can't keep them out. 

Israel’s wall works because is not just a wall but a complex and very expensively manned barrier system.   The people traveling a thousand miles on foot would laugh their ass off at whatever barrier wall we put up and say, “challenge accepted.”

We can do adequate border security with a moronic wall.