Caravan

gsoda3

f6bf615e0f7e02faccb5a3e7a5dda85b.jpg77a50cddad037b03578e61bd544ef3df.jpg

This is what I want to see on our border. Turrets for Border Patrol to spot and apprehend illegals and use other means to disperse future caravans. Tell me that a wall like this won’t work. I’m sure you’ll see mothers and children scaling it with no problem.

West Bank is about the size of Rhode Island, and the IDF controls both sides of that wall.  Unless we are going to forcibly take over Mexico, a wall is useless.  It can keep people in, but can't keep them out. 

Take a look at my pictures. You can control the border just on our side. We can start to build hundreds of miles of wall where needed.

3 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

f6bf615e0f7e02faccb5a3e7a5dda85b.jpg77a50cddad037b03578e61bd544ef3df.jpg

This is what I want to see on our border. Turrets for Border Patrol to spot and apprehend illegals and use other means to disperse future caravans. Tell me that a wall like this won’t work. I’m sure you’ll see mothers and children scaling with no problem.

Read, like the last 8 posts on the thread.  Whether a wall like the one in Israel would work or not is a useless discussion, because:

1.  It's not at all possible to duplicate on the southern border; and

2.  Trump's plan isn't like that either.

1 minute ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Take a look at my pictures. You can control the border just on our side. We can start to build hundreds of miles of wall where needed.

If you can't control the attack side, you can't control shit. I haven't seen a single prototype that couldn't be destroyed in seconds. Keep in mind that migrants can hang out all day in the thousands on the other side if they want to, and there are countless cities and towns abutting the border. Israel has none of these issues because they can forcefully scatter people in the West Bank, bulldoze Palestinian settlements near the wall, and patrol the attack side of the wall. 

You are wasting money for a stupid Maginot Line style fixed wall when what you need is surveillance and rapid response. 

19 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

No, it won't. It's never going to stop and there's never going to be a wall.

12 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Israel’s wall works because is not just a wall but a complex and very expensively manned barrier system.   The people traveling a thousand miles on foot would laugh their ass off at whatever barrier wall we put up and say, “challenge accepted.”

We can do adequate border security with a moronic wall.

wall does nothing to stop people from going to checkpoints and surrendering themselves, which is what the vast majority of caravaners that get to the US border do. 

26 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

How about they declare asylum in the first country that they reach safety to which is what is supposed to happen.

lots of people have asked for asylum in mexico.  but mexico isn't necessarily safe. 

5 minutes ago, scottsins said:

Read, like the last 8 posts on the thread.  Whether a wall like the one in Israel would work or not is a useless discussion, because:

1.  It's not at all possible to duplicate on the southern border; and

2.  Trump's plan isn't like that either.

Eminent domain. Get a half a mile width zone for a fence. Manned checkpoints like in Israel for landowners to access their land in the other side of the wall. Why the hell can’t we do it? It would be a great source of jobs for south Texas. 

3 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

If you can't control the attack side, you can't control shit. I haven't seen a single prototype that couldn't be destroyed in seconds. Keep in mind that migrants can hang out all day in the thousands on the other side if they want to, and there are countless cities and towns abutting the border. Israel has none of these issues because they can forcefully scatter people in the West Bank, bulldoze Palestinian settlements near the wall, and patrol the attack side of the wall. 

You are wasting money for a stupid Maginot Line style fixed wall when what you need is surveillance and rapid response. 

You’re telling me that a steel fortified 20 foot tall concrete wall is going to be destroyed in seconds. Please tell me how that’s going to happen.

Eminent domain. Get a half a mile width zone for a fence. Manned checkpoints like in Israel for landowners to access their land in the other side of the wall. Why the hell can’t we do it? It would be a great source of jobs for south Texas. 

giphy.gif

Forget the fucking wall for a second, what is your solution to this problem. Here’s mine:

1. A big beautiful, Israeli type separation barrier.

2. Convening the other Western powers to rewrite the asylum laws. We are the countries that illegals want to come to and we have a collective interest in keeping them out.

3. Offer US assistance and aid to Central American countries to stop the gangs. Get Colombia on board as they have gotten things under control.

4. Offer amnesty to Dreamers to make the above a reality

You’re telling me that a steel fortified 20 foot tall concrete wall is going to be destroyed in seconds. Please tell me how that’s going to happen.

Pull up next to it in a piece of shit van. Duck behind some cover. Proceed through hole in wall. 

You don't have a clue how much people pay coyotes, do you?  The tools are well within current coyote budgets without even raising their ticket prices. 

9 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

You'll be in litigation for a decade or more. By then, Donald Trump will be long gone and the wall will be a distant memory.

5 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Pull up next to it in a piece of shit van. Duck behind some cover. Proceed through hole in wall. 

You don't have a clue how much people pay coyotes, do you?  The tools are well within current coyote budgets without even raising their ticket prices. 

Build turrets like I showed. We have the best surveillance equipment in the world. Let them try to jackhammer their way through. So few would even try and even is some did they’d get caught. You think the Palestinians have lost their bloodlust in killing as many Jews as possible in order to liberate Palestine from the river to the sea? What do you think accounts for the dramatic reduction in terrorism from the time of the Second Intifada. Hint - it’s the wall.

Build turrets like I showed. We have the best surveillance equipment in the world. Let them try to jackhammer their way through. So few would even try and even is some did they’d get caught. You think the Palestinians have lost their bloodlust in killing as many Jews as possible in order to liberate Palestine from the river to the sea? What do you think accounts for the dramatic reduction in terrorism from the time of the Second Intifada. Hint - it’s the wall.

if the mexicans were launching bottle rockets at us en masse as we made illegal settlements in juarez then maybe a wall would be a fix for that problem. but it's not a fix for the "problem" we have, which is that people want to come here and work in fields and chicken processing plants, and they do so by (largely) surrendering themselves at the border. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, elfenix said:

what exactly is the problem?  that people surrender themselves at checkpoints?  how is a wall going to address that?

The entire asylum process is the problem. Europe is buckling under the strain of Muslim migrants with values that are hostile to Western values. Even Sweden has said enough. We are being invaded by illegals. That is what the New York fucking Times is saying. Asylum claims need to be processed in their home countries with verifiable proof of threats to life like a police report. Political refugees have to show proof of why they are at risk. Can’t pick where you declare asylum. First country that you get to that’s where you can declare. Can’t pick or choose. This will weed out the 90% of the current applicants who are declined. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

The entire asylum process is the problem. Europe is buckling under the strain of Muslim migrants with values that are hostile to Western values. Even Sweden has said enough. We are being invaded by illegals. That is what the New York fucking Times is saying. Asylum claims need to be processed in their home countries with verifiable proof of threats to life like a police report. Political refugees have to show proof of why they are at risk. Can’t pick where you declare asylum. First country that you get to that’s where you can declare. Can’t pick or choose. This will weed out the 90% of the current applicants who are declined. 

so the wall doesn't address the problem.  got it. 

6 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Haha, I don't think there will by any culture shock when a Mexican or Central American crosses the Rio Grande. Having grown up down there, I can assure you that the cultures are indistinguishable between the two sides, and that's a good thing.  

26 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I think the IDF patrols the West Bank and has effective control of all Palestinian territory. I also know most Palestinians are just trying to get by. Those normal Palestinians can legally cross into Israel proper and work. They don't need to rush the fence. 

We have no control over Mexico anyway, and you want to murder women, children, and people looking for work. You aren't after terrorists. 

And who said anything about jackhammers?  

A fucking turret is worthless because whoever is in the turret can't engage anyone in Mexico. Again, it is a separate country. 

Edited by FondrenRoad

13 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

Haha, I don't think there will by any culture shock when a Mexican or Central American crosses the Rio Grande. Having grown up down there, I can assure you that the cultures are indistinguishable between the two sides, and that's a good thing.  

They might be shocked when they see an unstable guy in a tailored jersey threatening to kill their kids and telling them they don't fit in with the culture of Houston of all places. They fit in far better than IT does. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

They might be shocked when they see an unstable guy in a tailored jersey threatening to kill their kids and telling them they don't fit in with the culture of Houston of all places. They fit in far better than IT does. 

As a Houstonian, fortunately I have not seen any such encounters. I would lose my shit if so. 

35 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

We aren't being invaded. Illegal immigration is at a 40 year low.

How do y’all expect to win in 2020 when no one on your side has any plan to deal with this. Trump at least has a plan. It might be too simple but it’s something. All we hear from the Democrats is abolish ICE, sanctuary cities and amnesty.

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Would you build the wall across Big Bend?

12 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

How do y’all expect to win in 2020 when no one on your side has any plan to deal with this. Trump at least has a plan. It might be too simple but it’s something. All we hear from the Democrats is abolish ICE, sanctuary cities and amnesty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_Security,_Economic_Opportunity,_and_Immigration_Modernization_Act_of_2013

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

You're un-American.  Do us all a favor and migrate back to Iran....put up your wall there. 

• Like 1

Flood plains render the half mile estimate laughably inaccurate.

14 hours ago, David Dennison said:

We aren't being invaded. Illegal immigration is at a 40 year low.

And Europe is not buckling under the strain of Muslim migration.

I was just there.  Nary a peep.  No hordes of Muslims roaming through beautiful European cities. The only unrest I saw was workers in Budapest marching over OT laws.

13 hours ago, elfenix said:

Not only that, the idea that the immigration issue will somehow be a pivot for 2020 reaches a level of fractal wrongness to which republicans seem absolutely addicted these days.

1. The people who believed Trump's feculent blather about building that stupid wall are either going to vote to re-elect him or they're going to stay home (i.e. the people who are pissed about their taxes going up despite the bewildering inanities that were voiced in support of those heinous cuts). They will not, however, vote Democrat no matter who the candidate is. Trump's base is filled with people who, like the person you were responding to, feel that politics functions the way sports do: there's a red and a blue team, they're on the red team, and they'll never be on the blue team. Even if they did, the number of them is so small that it hardly merits consideration. And of course there's also the issue of the fact that we still operate on that ridiculous electoral college and the "swing states" he carried were more concerned about their own jobs rather than immigration.

2) Anyone who took said feculent blather for what it was worth isn't going to vote for him either. Trump is winning precisely and exactly 0 new voters at this point, and that's not going to change in 20 months. His popularity rating is the shits, it's only going to get worse, and this snowflake bullshit about building a wall isn't helping him. 

Regardless of what the Democrats proposed in 2013, you can either be serious about illegal immigration or you can live in the Land of Make Believe and Pretend about it. Wholly ignoring, and in some cases inflaming, the reasons that people do it and yearning for some stupid monolithic construction is derived from the latter, not the former.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, retread said:

You are right. There are considerably more agents. I think his tweet was trying to show that the border agents aren't being overwhelmed.

Here's another chart with number of agents.

bordercorruption1.jpg

So seems like adding more border agents is working just fine.  Why would we want a wall to take away all their jobs?

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

So seems like adding more border agents is working just fine.  Why would we want a wall to take away all their jobs?

how many agents could you hire and permanently endow for the ~$25 billion that this boondoggle would cost in upfront construction?

• 2 months later...