2018 midterm gameday thread

Zonahorn

18 safe Dem seats in large states vs 4 safe Republican seats in small states. That popular vote is not good for Dems.

There are approximately 2.4 million more D votes in House races than R votes so far. Not sure why you're trying to adjust and unskew based on Senate races, it's completely unnecessary. Approximately all of the 435 House seats were up for election tonight.  

3 minutes ago, Agent47 said:

It "ought" to be good for democracy though right.

Nah bro.  Democracy is dead.  Whoever is in charge of America is just holding the rope.  If the economy really falters and people start going hungry, that is all she wrote.  We don't have an FDR to save it right now.

Just now, Huckleberry said:

There are approximately 2.4 million more D votes in House races than R votes so far. Not sure why you're trying to adjust and unskew based on Senate races, it's completely unnecessary. Approximately all of the 435 House seats were up for election tonight.  

Because that's what was circled in the infographic posted?

Edited by JBJ

1 minute ago, FondrenRoad said:

Nah bro.  Democracy is dead.  Whoever is in charge of America is just holding the rope.  If the economy really falters and people start going hungry, that is all she wrote.  We don't have an FDR to save it right now.

Not to be snarky, but millions of Americans go hungry every day.

Because that's what was circled in the infographic posted?
And?

The data is easily available. Your analysis based on the Senate votes appears to be contradicted by the House numbers. That's all I'm saying. It's not like it's a landslide but there are clearly more Democratic votes tonight than Republican votes.

it's short-sighted to think of this as a one off battle. this is one of many. the deck was stacked against the Democrats from the beginning in the Senate. If you think that Trump will do anything but call this a victory and continue his divisive rhetoric I have news for you, he won't. Don't for one second think that this is over. No matter the outcome. 

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Not to be snarky, but millions of Americans go hungry every day.

Millions?  Nope.  More like 100,000s.  But the guy who works at Panera Bread isn't starving, yet.  Look at it this way.  If I live next to you, and my kid is starving and you have food, you know what is going to happen.

Just now, FondrenRoad said:

Millions?  Nope.  More like 100,000s.  But the guy who works at Panera Bread isn't starving, yet.  Look at it this way.  If I live next to you, and my kid is starving and you have food, you know what is going to happen.

No, it's millions. Going hungry is widespread in this country.

Edited by David Dennison

Just got back to my hotel and catching up on the news.

• Can't believe that DeSantis is going to win. That's insane.
  • Surprised that GA is not close. Too bad, the "voter suppression" arguments don't hold sway at such a large gap, but would if it were close.
  • Huge turnout in a non presidential election year, so that's a positive no matter which way you vote!
  • This board and this whole thing was lots of fun, thanks for letting me play! First time I voted since voting for Obama in 2008.

Party on, Garth!

23 minutes ago, Publiushorn said:

No shit—Democrats had 27 seats (counting independents that caucus with them) up for election compared to Republicans having 8.

Fucking THIS!   In 2016 everyone was talking about the GOP getting a 60 seat Filibuster proof Super-majority in 2018.     We took back the House, will get off a hell of a lot easier than it looked like, even with a bunch of losses we'd hoped to avoid.   We dodged the bullet.  It could have been a fucking Little Bighorn, and now we get to investigate that shit of a POTUS, and the assholes who will defend him will answer to the rubes who may just realize they got taken.     

The House is going to be all up in Trump's ass, and no more treasonous partisan House protection in the many investigations to come.  

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

No, it's millions. Going hungry is widespread in this country.

Except its not really.  At least starvation isn't.  And I work with the homeless.  Nobody I have met is full on starving.  Some of them avoid eating even though they have meals offered to them, however.

But I do live in a state where welfare is mandated in the state constitution.  I know y'all probably let kids starve down there, but I would expect that a kid would gnaw Ted Cruz' arm off before he just died of starvation.  And there are plenty of people fatter than Ted Cruz around for sustenance if it comes to that.

6 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Fucking THIS!   In 2016 everyone was talking about the GOP getting a 60 seat Filibuster proof Super-majority in 2018.     We took back the House, will get off a hell of a lot easier than it looked like, even with a bunch of losses we'd hoped to avoid.   We dodged the bullet.  It could have been a fucking Little Bighorn, and now we get to investigate that shit of a POTUS, and the assholes who will defend him will answer to the rubes who may just realize they got taken.     

The House is going to be all up in Trump's ass, and no more treasonous partisan House protection in the many investigations to come.  

This is the right perspective.  A big step forward.  Rome wasn't built in a day, etc.  

Or we may just be circling the drain, Brisket style.  But I will call this good.  

Have to say, that FL vote count progression was like the WVU game.  You saw it coming, but, fuck.

The Georgia gubernatorial race has actually tightened up a lot as the Atlanta votes have come in and they finally got everyone into the voting booths.

And according to the Abrams camp there are a lot of uncounted absentee ballots and shenanigans going on with provisional ballots.

In Georgia you have to get 50% + 1 to win or it goes to a runoff.

Kemp is currently at 50.8% with 99% reporting - according to Kemp’s office.

It’s not inconceivable that if the remaining votes to be counted are from heavy democratic areas and uncounted absentee ballots that Kemp hasn’t reached the required number.

This race is a prime example of why anyone who currently holds an office that oversees elections should be required to resign that position if they elect to run for another office. No matter what party.

Besides the terrible optics, it’s just a matter of fairness. And it removes the temptation for even seemingly innocuous actions to help yourself.

Even fundamentally honest people can be tempted to bend the rules to their benefit with so much on the line.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Except its not really.  At least starvation isn't.  And I work with the homeless.  Nobody I have met is full on starving.  Some of them avoid eating even though they have meals offered to them, however.

But I do live in a state where welfare is mandated in the state constitution.  I know y'all probably let kids starve down there, but I would expect that a kid would gnaw Ted Cruz' arm off before he just died of starvation.  And there are plenty of people fatter than Ted Cruz around for sustenance if it comes to that.

Hunger and starvation are two very different things.

Millions of people in this country go hungry every day.