2018 midterm gameday thread

Zonahorn

3 minutes ago, Agent47 said:

Ha. I'm getting negged like crazy for calling Repubs ugly fat idiots.

I was kinda kidding but truthfully they so are. They're obese tards. Frothing slobbery fatheads. They absolutely are.

Rush Limbaugh IS in fact a big fat idiot.

And so is Trump. I stand by this. It is NOT fake news. I've been to Texas recently. Sat in a Whataburger. I've seen the truth.

I'm getting negged for making fun of weak voter suppression comments in a country that is the easiest and most voter friendly country in the world

5 minutes ago, AtticusFinch said:

I'm getting negged for making fun of weak voter suppression comments in a country that is the easiest and most voter friendly country in the world

You think the United States is the most voter friendly country in the world? What planet are you on

7 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Well this, this is just not true at all. Like not even a little. 

Yes it is.  Anybody can vote, you can get a form in any government office, internet, you can mail in a ballot, you have weeks before election to vote yet the US ranks 138 out if 172 countries in voter turnout due to...wait for it...apathy...not suppression.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Not that anyone asked for it, but here's my take on yesterday:

NATIONALLY: the Dems did about as well as was reasonably expected, to slightly LESS well than was reasonably expected.  House seats -- that broke about as expected.  Senate seats - they ended up with one less than I expected (I thought that Florida or Mo. would be Dem wins).  Governor's seats, about as expected, again, the only mild surprise to me was not winning Florida.  On a personal level, I found Florida really disappointing.  And I had hoped that Abrams could force a runoff in Ga.  She came DAMNED close, and I think that there may continue to be some questions (litigation?) about voter suppression, because it may have been the difference-maker.  We'll see.  But the big takeaway in terms of change is simply the flip of the House, and that it is by enough of a margin for there to be a strong Dem coalition pursuing its agenda.  Whether they'll fuck up that agenda remains to be seen.  Personally, I enjoyed seeing Walker and Kobach lose.

TEXAS: Beto beat my expectations.  He lost by 2.8%, I expected him to lose by 4-6%.  Yeah, I wanted him to win, but this is a long game.  Beto showed, for the first time in 25 years or so, that Texas can be a battleground state.  But to be a battleground state, you need one REALLY important ingredient: A BATTLE.  Beto showed that if the Democrats can put up a strong candidate at the top of the ballot, they can have a puncher's chance.  And that chance will only improve in elections to come.  I've said that Texas didn't have a legit chance of flipping until 2028-2030.  I might bump that back two years, to 2026-28.  To me, the telling races are State Supreme Court, because that's really a proxy for party sympathy -- 99% of people don't know anything about the candidate, they just vote the party.  And the breakdown in those races is around 53.5 to 46.5.  A 7 point spread.  Trump beat Hillary here by 9 points.

And for less popular GOP leaders, the margin was even lower.  Dan Patrick won by 4.2%. Paxton won by 3.2%.  Lesson there: if you have an unlikable GOP candidate, and a reasonably likable Dem who actually campaigns, some of these offices could be winnable 4 years from now.

And let's not forget what we saw in judicial races -- statewide, major courts of appeal were a big story.  A HUGE democrat flip.  The 3rd court, based in Austin but extending into heavily GOP near west Texas, had 6 GOP justices yesterday.  Today, it has 2, and 4 new Dem justices.  Those races were all decide by 11-12 point margins.  That's big.

The Texas Democrat party needs to learn from this election, and needs to not just continue its energy, but do everything it can to INCREASE it.  Continue strong candidate recruitment (seriously, Beto and MJ Heger were GREAT candidates).  And don't pull any more Lupe Valdez bullshit (what a waste).  And contest EVERYTHING.

BUT, my Brisket takeaway: we saw quite clearly that a candidacy based on xenophobia and hatred wins (Desantis, Kemp).  Expect more of it.  A lot more of it.  Because it works, and will continue to work.  If we're comfortable having a giant tumor of hate stuck inside us, that tumor WILL kill us, sooner rather than later.  It's our original sin, and eventually, it WILL kill us.

I think this is really an excellent postmortem. Texas is now basically 54/46 - a legit battleground state - and that ratio seems to be changing by roughly one percentage point per year. When we get at least one Democrat elected in a statewide election, I'll be very comfortable calling Texas a "purple" state.

The biggest disappointments/surprises for me were the Florida results. Fuck that gotdam state.

3 hours ago, Macanudo said:

I didn't really care who won but it's pretty pathetic what we get regarding news coverage.    I switched between national CBS and CNN coverage and the complete bias for the Ds was so very evident.  Announcers were giddy when showing results that favored the Ds and outright glum when showing an R in control of a race.   It was glaringly obvious who they wanted to win.   I'm sure Fox was just as bad the other direction but I don't watch their crap.

Why can't someone cover an election without the obvious bias?

WHY DO PEOPLE HAVE OPINIONS

So here's the thing about CA.  Mail-in ballots have to be postmarked on or before yesterday, and received by the county no later than 3 days after the election.  

So, it could be later this week before we really know on these close elections.  Rohrabacher/Rouda is one of them.  Levin/Crooked-ass Harkey is another (my district)

Just now, Gil Bang said:

So here's the thing about CA.  Mail-in ballots have to be postmarked on or before yesterday, and received by the county no later than 3 days after the election.  

So, it could be later this week before we really know on these close elections.  Rohrabacher/Rouda is one of them.  Levin/Crooked-ass Harkey is another (my district)

Thanks for the update. So they have to be received by COB Friday? Sounds like those will be called next Monday.

4 minutes ago, AtticusFinch said:

Yes it is.  Anybody can vote, you can get a form in any government office, internet, you can mail in a ballot, you have weeks before election to vote yet the US ranks 138 out if 172 countries in voter turnout due to...wait for it...apathy...not suppression.

Oh fuck. I had no idea. You can get forms. If only there were organizations that rated or ranked countries based on how free their elections are. And if only the published their findings. And what if you had access to a machine that could instantly find this information. And what if you could read. If all of those things were true, it's almost like it would take 30 seconds to realize you are completely wrong. I apologize for doubting you, Atticus Finch. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

I don't see the votes remaining to move Sinema past McSally in Arizona. What was the deal there, though. They haven't counted early votes or they've only counted early votes? Something like that?

I read it was only in-person votes.  There's 50k votes uncounted in Maricopa still.  Some sort of update expected 5pm Arizona time.

3 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

It took AN ENTIRE MONTH in the primary for the unprocessed/uncounted ballots to hit 0.  Yes, 6/7 to 7/6.

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Maricopa doesn't really have a big advantage for Sinema, though. She would need a lot of outstanding votes in Pima to have a shot.

Sorry, just read there's 600,000 total votes outstanding.  Not sure they've processed all or any of the early votes.  This is from the NBC embed on the ground in Phoenix.  What's being reported might just be yesterday in-person. 

Edited by Js1

Ha. I'm getting negged like crazy for calling Repubs ugly fat idiots.
I was kinda kidding but truthfully they so are. They're obese tards. Frothing slobbery fatheads. They absolutely are.
Rush Limbaugh IS in fact a big fat idiot.
And so is Trump. I stand by this. It is NOT fake news. I've been to Texas recently. Sat in a Whataburger. I've seen the truth.

Stay out of Whataburger Hugo.

10 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Oh fuck. I had no idea. You can get forms. If only there were organizations that rated or ranked countries based on how free their elections are. And if only the published their findings. And what if you had access to a machine that could instantly find this information. And what if you could read. If all of those things were true, it's almost like it would take 30 seconds to realize you are completely wrong. I apologize for doubting you, Atticus Finch. 

The reasons they rank certain countries higher is because they send citizens ballots.  They are smaller countries.  That wouldn't even be feasible in the US.  If you listen to the left, too many voters dont have ID's, which means they dont have residences, which means they couldn't be sent a ballot anyway.  Further, they wouldn't even fill them put and send them back.  That would take effort.  You have weeks to vote in the US.  All you have to do is just show up.  

Edited by AtticusFinch

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Sorry, just read there's 600,000 total votes outstanding.  Not sure they've processed all or any of the early votes.  This is from the NBC embed on the ground in Phoenix.  What's being reported might just be yesterday in-person. 

Okay, that actually makes sense. Nationwide we've seen that voter totals are running roughly the same as 2016. Arizona had over 2.5M votes in that election. So far only about 1.7M votes have been reported in this race.

1 minute ago, AtticusFinch said:

The reasons they rank certain countries higher is because they send citizens ballots.  They are smaller countries.  That wouldn't even be feasible in the US.  If you listen to the left, too many voters dont have ID's, which means they dont have residences, which means they couldn't be sent a ballot anyway.  You have weeks to vote in the US.  All you have to do is just show up.  

We could have same day registration or automatic registration like many other countries. We could make voting a national holiday like many other countries. We could have more polling locations like many other countries.

You’re really stupid if you think that the US is easier to vote in than many other countries.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AtticusFinch said:

The reasons they rank certain countries higher is because they send citizens ballots.  They are smaller countries.  That wouldn't even be feasible in the US.  If you listen to the left, too many voters dont have ID's, which means they dont have residences, which means they couldn't be sent a ballot anyway.  You have weeks to vote in the US.  All you have to do is just show up.  

You think it’s easier to send citizens ballots in the Australia outback?

21 minutes ago, AtticusFinch said:

Untrue. 

Either you don't want to believe it because the party that suppresses votes is YOUR party, or you just aren't smart. 

It's laughable because voter suppression is literally happening in real time in Georgia right now, yet you're choosing to ignoring it. 

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Okay, that actually makes sense. Nationwide we've seen that voter totals are running roughly the same as 2016. Arizona had over 2.5M votes in that election. So far only about 1.7M votes have been reported in this race.

Yeah, if you add in 600,000, you get 2.3m which looks right to me.

Early voting favored Democrats nationwide.  I say it's going to be CLOSE. McSally's 2014 Housse race took 8 days of ballot counting and a 35 day recount.

4 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

Untrue. 

Either you don't want to believe it because the party that suppresses votes is YOUR party, or you just aren't smart. 

It's laughable because voter suppression is literally happening in real time in Georgia right now, yet you're choosing to ignoring it. 

What exactly is the suppression?

1 minute ago, Pancho Negro said:

There's a full 15 page thread about it on this very site.  Go read it.  

Typical--this is what you and your party does.  It's disgusting. 

I'm not reading a 15 page thread of non-sense..what happened? They closed the voting locations after being open for 22 days prior to the election?

• Fuck You 3

1 minute ago, AtticusFinch said:

I'm not reading a 15 page thread of non-sense..what happened? They closed the voting locations after being open for 22 days prior to the election?

Great--there's evidence of suppression and you refused to read it. 

That's what you people do.   You're old enough to do your research instead of spitting out what Hannity, Tucker, and Rush tell you their lies of things. 

3 minutes ago, AtticusFinch said:

A step further--there's evidence of suppression in damn near half the country.  But you refuse to become educated about it because it doesn't fit your narrative. 

30 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

There's supposedly 100k in Pima and 472k in Maricopa.  These are "early ballots that were mailed out but dropped off in-person."  IF they followed Election Day split in the 2 counties, Sinema would be up +300 but since they are early votes, they could track more Democrat, but who knows.

Someone is going to win by the SKIN of their teeth in Arizona.