Harris County Judges race

OWLVIS

Oh, I know Texas counties are just as fucked up as the rest of the state's gov't. Even here, you're crying about a partisan election loss as if the guy should have just been anointed king of harris county. If he was truly different, he would have abandoned the ®.  Fix your fucking party.
And this is the issue right here. You assume all of us who think Ed Emmett was the right choice are Republicans. I happen to vote for the person most qualified for the post and whose issues align most closely with my own. So in this election, that included voting for Beto, Mike Collier, Justin Nelson, and Kim Olsen. Yeah, I'm a real Republican alright.

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
7 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:
Boom, boom, boom.  Elected judges is highly regarded.  Elected judges being party affiliated is straight up full retard.  Blame the state for a fantastically stupid system.

I do blame for state for allowing straight party. Glad this was the last one. But I also blame a completely stupid and lazy electorate.

If Ed Emmett wanted to remain county judge so badly, he could have switched over to the Democratic Party and won 70%.  Instead he put loyalty to Abbott, Patrick, Cruz and trump over his job.    

Tell me this.  If Ed had switched over to the Dem party, would the Harris republican county voters voted for him?  Or would they have put party first?

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
9 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:
Could say the same about ghe last presidential election, no?

Its like you think I voted for Trump. Trump had no business being elected president, and I certainly didnt vote for him.

Actually no, no where did I think, imply, or explicitly state that you voted for trump.  I was making a logical argument based on your claim. 

This isnt about partisan, FYI, this is about the best person for the job, and Ed Emmett was it.

You don't actually know that. Ed Emmett has a good track record, but this lady might actually be just as good or better with some experience.

As was said above, no one forced Ed to run as a Republican. He did it for personal power reasons and it finally bit him on the ass. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Its like you think I voted for Trump. Trump had no business being elected president, and I certainly didnt vote for him. 

And you don't blame the Dems at all for Trump being elected? I'm glad this election cycle the Dems realized it was their failures that led to Trump. 

Control the controlables.  The Republicans in Harris County didn't do this. 

17 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

And you don't blame the Dems at all for Trump being elected? I'm glad this election cycle the Dems realized it was their failures that led to Trump. 

Control the controlables.  The Republicans in Harris County didn't do this. 

I hate the Dems and Hillary and everything, but... no. Not really.

Trump was elected based on ignorant, furious bigotry. Dems didn't invent that or stoke that or incite that. It's always existed and always will. Candidates in the future will promote fascism and the baying hordes will love it.

The Dems could've done better in 2016, but they won the popular vote and turned out a lot of voters. It's not even close to being as causational as you phrase it.

4 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Should Mayor of Houston be a partisan election?

Personally, I'd be for doing away with R vs. D on the ballot box all together for local elections.

This isnt about partisan, FYI, this is about the best person for the job, and Ed Emmett was it.

Then Ed should have run as his own person. For years, he relied on the warm comfort of (R).  Now the (R) bit him on the ass.  

And really, the fact that he didn't see the writing on the wall for Rs in Harris County tells me he isn't as forward thinking as you give him credit for.  He could have flipped to (D) or even (I) and won.

I am against parties entirely, local, state, federal.  Everyone should run as an individual with their own platform. 

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 2

Emmett wanted the votes that came with the R next to his name.  Maybe he’s a good administrator but a poor politician.   

The public often picks the worst candidate but we still survive.  Even if the new county judge is horrible, hopefully we’ve hired non-political employees that will continue to allow the county to thrive.  

13 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Boom, boom, boom.  Elected judges is highly regarded.  Elected judges being party affiliated is straight up full retard.  Blame the state for a fantastically stupid system.

Yeah, but which party has run Texas for two decades? 

Btw, this thread is a great melt.

She doesn't have any experience but soon will. This would be that Blue Wave that was talled about. Ol Ed maybe should have seen the wave coming and done some better explaining to the voters as to why they might want to not do straight ticket. 

As much as you don't understand Ed losing, I don't get how people like Paxton and Miller won, those really weren't the best candidates and it aint even close. But that's elections.

Cry me a river. Since I don’t live in h town I have no idea who the most qualified candidate for county judge was but as noted above, if ed emmert was such a forward looking guy he would have seen the writing on the wall and switched parties or at least become independent. 

The Republican Party is now as we all know the party of trump so don’t go off whining when people vote you out for that reason alone because you choose to associate with and roll around in a giant pile of shit. 

• Like 2

He may well have been the better candidate. He chose to run as a R, so fucking tough shit. If he spoke out against Trump (which I doubt) point me to the evidence.

I have never voted straight ticket until this election. I did so knowing that it's likely that I was choosing some candidates that were less qualified than their R candidate. That reality was justified by my belief  that the current GOP is the single biggest "threat" facing our country. Other than departing republicans like Flake, Corker, McCain, few in that party have the balls to call out Trump for being the ignorant shitstain that he is. It's a party full of spineless pussies that wont admit the obvious.

I dont have a lot of good things to say about the dems, but we can deal with that crisis after we get rid of the fucking retards like Trump, Cruz, Abbot, etc... Fuck that entire crew.

• Like 9