Harris County Judges race

OWLVIS

The people saying that Ed Emmett deserved to lose obviously have little clue as to how important a position Harris County Judge is and how absolutely unqualified the winner was in this race. She had ZERO business even being able to run. I'd like to see some minimum qualifications to be able to even get on the ballot.

1 minute ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

The people saying that Ed Emmett deserved to lose obviously have little clue as to how important a position Harris County Judge is and how absolutely unqualified the winner was in this race. She had ZERO business even being able to run. I'd like to see some minimum qualifications to be able to even get on the ballot.

Probably shouldnt make judge elections a partisan affair then. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

The people saying that Ed Emmett deserved to lose obviously have little clue as to how important a position Harris County Judge is....

Is anyone arguing that Emmett "deserved to lose" or are they arguing that if the Texas Republican Party runs a bunch of religious wackos in state offices and an absolute asshole for Senator it might affect other races.  Ed Emmett didn't "deserve to lose" but the party deserves to be punished.

• Like 1

Just now, tantric superman said:

Is anyone arguing that Emmett "deserved to lose" or are they arguing that if the Texas Republican Party runs a bunch of religious wackos in state offices and an absolute asshole for Senator it might affect other races.  Ed Emmett didn't "deserve to lose" but the party deserves to be punished.

Exactly, if you want the Republican Party to change, they’re going to have to be punished across the board because election loses is the only language they understand.

And every single person in Harris County is going to suffer. This is a dumb take. It shouldn't matter whether an R or D is next to the name. Best person for the job is who people should vote for. The rest of us who live in Harris County are now the worse for it for all the morons who voted straight ticket because Trump and Cruz.

3 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
23 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:
Probably shouldnt make judge elections a partisan affair then. 

You do realize that County Judge really isnt a judge yes? It's more like County CEO.

So you believe it should be a partisan election then?  In that case, you got what you wanted.  Your partisan lost. He could have switched to (I) and denounced if he wanted to be his own person. 

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Could say the same about ghe last presidential election, no?

• Like 1

No one else could ever figure out what Ed Emmett figured out. Anyone else would've said, "People of Harris County, immediately drown yourself in the floodwater on purpose!"

As the rains came, everyone but Ed Emmett would've said, "Eat shit, meteorologists, I'm not listening to you!"

As the hurricane hit land and the TV cameras turned on, anyone but Ed Emmett would've screamed, "PANIC! FEAR! FIRE! THE WORLD IS AT AN END AND YOUR LIVES ARE FORFEIT!"

Good night, everyone. Kiss your loved ones goodbye. There is no hope for salvation or redemption, for we no longer have Ed Emmett.

(I voted for Ed Emmett lol)

Edited by bad_teammate

22 minutes ago, OWLVIS said:

Its bad, it will get worse, all of Texas will suffer. The Judge was the one willing to stand up to Patrick and Bettencourt..and they feared him.

Now they can go continue to be stupid without fear

So he was the Jeff Flake of the greater Houston area? It's fitting then that both his and Flake's seats will be occupied by Democrats.

I'd rather stand up to Goeb by giving some Republicans the boot. Flipping 2 state senate seats and 12 house seats will be far more effective than a tongue lashing from Ed Emmett. I welcome a Harris and Fort Bend county purge as part of the deal.

She's really smart. She's gonna be fine, and the world will keep turning. Harris County Commissioner's Court needed a changing of the guard, and we got one. (She's a Stanford grad -- are you?)

She’s an unqualified moron cunt like you. Go fuck yourself.

Straight ticket Republican voters getting all upset about straight ticket Democrat voters is pretty funny.

Yep. We’ve suffered through judicial wipeouts because “vote R or you hate ‘Murica!” straight ticket voters. We lost good judges (and yes, I know that County Judge is not a “Judge” - I’m talking about downballot consequences).

Two lessons: 1) maybe learn about candidates, and don’t blindly vote for a party, and 2) when your party sucks shit through a straw (whether it was the stale and arrogant Dem party 25 yrs ago, or the shitheel GOP of today), then your affiliation with that party becomes a liability. Them’s the breaks.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep. We’ve suffered through judicial wipeouts because “vote R or you hate ‘Murica!” straight ticket voters. We lost good judges (and yes, I know that County Judge is not a “Judge” - I’m talking about downballot consequences).

Two lessons: 1) maybe learn about candidates, and don’t blindly vote for a party, and 2) when your party sucks shit through a straw (whether it was the stale and arrogant Dem party 25 yrs ago, or the shitheel GOP of today), then your affiliation with that party becomes a liability. Them’s the breaks.

It wasn't too long ago that there wasn't a single Democratic judge in Harris County.

Take the loss, pussy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

No one forced him to put an R next to his name. 

You’re right. But now Harris county has the deal with the shitty consequences. 

This isn’t like he is being replaced by someone decently competent. She has literally zero work experience besides being a translater and dropping out of law school    

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Xian said:

How do I know you have zero order how texas county governments work. 

Oh, I know Texas counties are just as fucked up as the rest of the state's gov't. Even here, you're crying about a partisan election loss as if the guy should have just been anointed king of harris county. If he was truly different, he would have abandoned the (R).  Fix your fucking party.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, FondrenRoad said:

Oh, I know Texas counties are just as fucked up as the rest of the state's gov't. Even here, you're crying about a partisan election loss as if the guy should have just been anointed king of harris county. If he was truly different, he would have abandoned the (R).  Fix your fucking party.

My party? What the fuck are you talking about. Look at my post history. I hate trump. I fucking voted for Beto 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

This isn’t like he is being replaced by someone decently competent. She has literally zero work experience besides being a translater and dropping out of law school    

Feel. My. Pain.

I’ve had to appear in front of judges in court who had hardly even taken a deposition. Utterly unqualified and inexperienced. I’ve had to explain the simplest legal concepts to them. But they were elected, fair and square, because they had an R next to their name.

This is a consequence of partisan elections for offices that shouldn’t have anything to do with party allegiance.

And again, it’s a consequence of being associated with a shitty party. Ed should have worked harder to keep his party from turning to shit.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Xian said:

Well you know what he could have done... not run with an R next to his name. Harris County will be just fucking fine so spare us the overdramatics 

2 minutes ago, Xian said:

My party? What the fuck are you talking about. Look at my post history. I hate trump. I fucking voted for Beto 

Then quit with the hyperbole.  The county will be fine.  The people that actually do emergency management work aren't going anywhere. 

The nation thus far is surviving Trump. Unlike Trump, Hidalgo at least gives a shit and has people around with experience. She will be fine. 

Harris Co Republican Party did a shitty job, imo. That's where the blame starts and there's plenty of blame to spread around. They got their ass handed to them. They need to get their shit together and some diversity would be great first step. 2nd step would be take a step towards the center. Trump's message doesn't play well in Harris County. Huge LuLz because neither of those two things will ever happen

Harris Co Republican voters, too many of them are upset with the party. I'll guess this is more on a national and state level, but shit rolls down hill

Beto energized Texas Dems, and that energy carried down the ballot (across the state)

I've been involved in many county / regional elections (not harris county) and you better bust your ass to get out the vote. In 2018, the harris co dems did a better job. 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Like 2

So you believe it should be a partisan election then?  In that case, you got what you wanted.  Your partisan lost. He could have switched to (I) and denounced if he wanted to be his own person. 
Should Mayor of Houston be a partisan election?

Personally, I'd be for doing away with R vs. D on the ballot box all together for local elections.

This isnt about partisan, FYI, this is about the best person for the job, and Ed Emmett was it.

She's really smart. She's gonna be fine, and the world will keep turning. Harris County Commissioner's Court needed a changing of the guard, and we got one. (She's a Stanford grad -- are you?)
Lol. Yeah, graduating from college, even one such as Stanford, and having no real experience qualifies you to be the chief executive of Harris County.

Boom, boom, boom.  Elected judges is highly regarded.  Elected judges being party affiliated is straight up full retard.  Blame the state for a fantastically stupid system.
I do blame for state for allowing straight party. Glad this was the last one. But I also blame a completely stupid and lazy electorate.

I have zero dogs in this hunt. Looks like she benefited from the Beto effect and ousted a good ol boy. She's a Stanford grad, so maybe she has a fucking clue. I doubt she's slick enough or has the means to pull any scams. Put the rookie in and see if she can get out of the inning.