TRAVEL: Points, Miles, Discounts, Tips, Advice & Questions

Spankytoes

18 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Question re: Southwest Companion Pass.  Mine expires end of 2019, but if I book 2020 flights now, will it work on those?

You have to have an active companion pass when you actually fly.  The CP ticket will be cancelled the day of the flight if you don't currently have CP.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

You have to have an active companion pass when you actually fly.  The CP ticket will be cancelled the day of the flight if you don't currently have CP.

Thanks.  I'm at 95k Chase points right now with pretty much the rest of my travel booked for the year.  Thinking I may just pony up the 110k in Dec to keep it going for 2020.

9 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

It doesn’t work that way. You have to earn SWA points. Not transfer Chase UR points. 

And that can be through the bonuses, correct?  For instance, if one is wanting the CP for most of 2020 and all of 2021, it is my understanding that you could: 

1) Open a SWA Priority/Plus/Premier card and earn 40k after spending $1k in the first 3 months.  Make sure you earn that bonus early in 2020.

2) Open a SWA Performance Business card and earn 80k after spending $5k in the first 3 months.  Make sure you earn that bonus early in 2020.

Make sure you earn the bonuses in the same calendar year, then you get the CP for the remainder of that year and all of the next year.  This assumes you are under the 5/24 rule.  It also assumes you do not currently have a SWA card, or you would not qualify for the bonuses.  I think I have that right?  

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Wat?  Why does it matter if the points are transferred or not?  I can use transferred points for flights, why not to buy a companion pass?

Uh, you don't "buy" a companion pass. You earn it by accumulating points. Those same points can then be used for flights, they aren't consumed by getting a companion pass.

On 5/21/2019 at 12:48 PM, HRSchenker said:

I'm about to drop 360,000 UR points on Dallas to Hong Kong. Once I deplete all of my points I'm thinking about going all in on Alaska Airlines points rather than play the Chase game.

Of course I do this before the protests begin. Hopefully they get this situated before I leave in November

49 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Wouldn't your Chase card's travel insurance cover your inability to get in/out of HK due to the protests?  Delays, cancellations, etc.? 

Lots of limitations and limits on reimbursement.  It's not like they will let you charter a private jet if they shut down the airport etc.  When I got stuck in Belize I think I was able to get a total of $500 from them and the put up every roadblock they could think of including requiring me to prove their was a hurricane that shut down the airports. 

Edited by midtown

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2019 at 2:44 PM, Biff Tannen said:

This is all so confusing.  It's like when I go to the state fair and have to get in line to buy tickets so I can buy beer.  Why is it that my currency is suddenly meaningless inside those walls?!?!

There are points for cashing in on flights, and points for status. When you fly SWA, you get both (but only towards companion, not A or A-preferred). When you buy SWA flights on a SWA card, you get double of both, single points of both for non-SWA purchases on that card. 

If you buy or transfer points to redeem for flights, that is just to buy flights. It doesn’t buy you status. 

On 8/11/2019 at 10:59 AM, Redneck Mutha said:

And that can be through the bonuses, correct?  For instance, if one is wanting the CP for most of 2020 and all of 2021, it is my understanding that you could: 

1) Open a SWA Priority/Plus/Premier card and earn 40k after spending $1k in the first 3 months.  Make sure you earn that bonus early in 2020.

2) Open a SWA Performance Business card and earn 80k after spending $5k in the first 3 months.  Make sure you earn that bonus early in 2020.

Make sure you earn the bonuses in the same calendar year, then you get the CP for the remainder of that year and all of the next year.  This assumes you are under the 5/24 rule.  It also assumes you do not currently have a SWA card, or you would not qualify for the bonuses.  I think I have that right?  

Please excuse the stupidity of how this question sounds, but it wasn’t answered when I asked before. How are y’all qualifying for a business card? I applied last year and Chase wouldn’t give it to me without a certified LLC thing issued from the State of Texas. It bungled my entire companion scam for 2020.

• 2 weeks later...

Please pardon the relatively basic/noob question, but anyone have a good site to track flight prices for open-jaw flights with flexible dates?  It looks like Kayak and Google Flights only allow flexible date tracking for round trip or one way fares.

In more detail, I'm looking to put together a trip from AUSish -> DUB then LHRish -> AUSish for 4 travelers over an approx 3wk block for next July.  I haven't been overseas in years and while I don't usually cheap out, being smart about a family of 4 can make a big difference in the rest of the trip.  Not going to worry about the miles game on this trip (will save that for simpler travel in the future with just the wife), but as a family trip with kids, don't want to get crazy with a cheap complex multi-carrier itinerary which leaves everyone hating Dad.

Thanks in advance, travel wizards.

What are the good lounges in O'Hare that can be accessed by credit card alliances?  We have a 6 hour layover in O'Hare in early December.  Flying out of O'Hare on SAS in Business Class, but I can't tell if that gets us in the Lufthansa lounge?  I think it gets us into the Business Lounge?  And then I pay $35 each for my 2 kids (who are not flying in Business)?

I'm guessing this is better than the Priority Pass lounge access I can get through my CSR card?  I also have Amex Gold but could upgrade that if it gets me in to a better lounge, but there are no Centurion Lounges in O'Hare and I'm not sure the upgrade alone is worth the added expense.  Seems like the CSR is a much better rewards card.

Thoughts?

On 9/4/2019 at 10:05 PM, Damor said:

Please pardon the relatively basic/noob question, but anyone have a good site to track flight prices for open-jaw flights with flexible dates?  It looks like Kayak and Google Flights only allow flexible date tracking for round trip or one way fares.

In more detail, I'm looking to put together a trip from AUSish -> DUB then LHRish -> AUSish for 4 travelers over an approx 3wk block for next July.  I haven't been overseas in years and while I don't usually cheap out, being smart about a family of 4 can make a big difference in the rest of the trip.  Not going to worry about the miles game on this trip (will save that for simpler travel in the future with just the wife), but as a family trip with kids, don't want to get crazy with a cheap complex multi-carrier itinerary which leaves everyone hating Dad.

Thanks in advance, travel wizards.

If you are looking for AUS to DUB and LHR to AUS (meaning you're handling DUB to LHR yourself), why not do 2 one-way tracking alerts?  You can also filter by airline/alliance to ensure you only see what you want.  Then you can build an itinerary from there. 

• Like 1

Thanks.  I did do that, but from plugging in some multi-city searches it looks that if your airports are in the same region, you can save substantially on one open-jaw itinerary.  Hopefully rtracking one-way fares will at least give me an idea of when to check prices.

4 hours ago, Damor said:

Thanks.  I did do that, but from plugging in some multi-city searches it looks that if your airports are in the same region, you can save substantially on one open-jaw itinerary.  Hopefully rtracking one-way fares will at least give me an idea of when to check prices.

Also try an open jaw into DUB, out of CDG. Departure taxes from LHR are going to fuck you good. I did exactly that last summer, and what I saved on airfare paid for 3 nights in Paris, plus the ride over with Eurostar, and still saved close a grand on top of it. Don't be afraid to look around at many airports. AMS, BRU, CDG, BCN, etc.

38 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Also try an open jaw into DUB, out of CDG. Departure taxes from LHR are going to fuck you good. I did exactly that last summer, and what I saved on airfare paid for 3 nights in Paris, plus the ride over with Eurostar, and still saved close a grand on top of it. Don't be afraid to look around at many airports. AMS, BRU, CDG, BCN, etc.

Yeah forgot about the premium of LHR.  

1 hour ago, thunderlounge said:

Thank you!  That's not something I was aware of.  I'll look at some other areas or maybe just reverse the trip.

1 hour ago, midtown said:

Whats the best way to use Avios?  What is their award chart like?

You can check out the British Airways website to see how it works.

I've never used them but I've seen how others have said they're pretty damn good in terms of redemption rates.  So, I figured getting an extra 40% for your MR points might be handy info here.

This chart seems to indicate they're pretty good...

https://pointstobemade.boardingarea.com/avios-award-chart/

Edited by Ag with kids
sex drugs and rock and roll

I've seen how people say that when getting a personal card, never put your spouse/partner as an authorized user.  You should double up with each of you getting your own card and thus double the points.

However, does that work the same with a business card?  I've got an LLC with my GF.  I've got several Amex business cards in my name.  However, I didn't put her as an authorized user/employee.  I was hoping we could double up with her applying for her own business card under her name so that she could also get the bonus offer too.

Will they allow her to do that?  Or will they reject it since the card is actually tied to our LLC and it has already received the bonus.

This website has some good ideas:

https://thepointsguy.com/guides/why-families-should-use-british-airways-avios-points-for-a-beach-vacation/

We ended up buying tickets to LAX and using Avios for the LAX to Maui flight.

20 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

You can check out the British Airways website to see how it works.

I've never used them but I've seen how others have said they're pretty damn good in terms of redemption rates.  So, I figured getting an extra 40% for your MR points might be handy info here.

This chart seems to indicate they're pretty good...

https://pointstobemade.boardingarea.com/avios-award-chart/

5 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Try Manchester, deals can be had.

20 hours ago, Damor said:

Thank you!  That's not something I was aware of.  I'll look at some other areas or maybe just reverse the trip.

The key to a EU/UK trip is getting there. Once you're there, internal flights are short and cheap. Trains, for the most part, are cheap too if you purchase in advance.

It takes a bit of time to keep up on it all, but once you find your entry/exit point(s), then go from there.

13 hours ago, Larry Sellers said:

We’ve been using the Marriott and Southwest cards for awhile but the Marriott rewards have been diluted quite a bit now. Would like to go to Asia next summer, so Southwest isn’t helping me out too much there. Any cards that could get me there in rewards quickly?

Amex Plat is doing 100k bonus points right now.  

8 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

This is for the Amex Plat Business.

Requires $25K spend in first 3 months.  50K MR after $10K spend and the other 50K MR after another $15K spend.

Amex Plat is 60k MR for $5K spend in 3 months

Maybe it's not for everyone, but I have a mailer from them sitting on my desk.  Not for business.  I don't think I'll do it, though.  The CSR rewards are better for the spending I do.

23 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Maybe it's not for everyone, but I have a mailer from them sitting on my desk.  Not for business.  I don't think I'll do it, though.  The CSR rewards are better for the spending I do.

Ah, OK...sounds like that's a targeted offer.

My GF and I both just have the 60K points for the regular Amex Plat.

A San Diego-based startup that serves as a “nanny” for luggage belonging to travelers heading in and out of the San Diego International Airport is now up and running at Terminal 1, with plans to land in other cities, too.

“Baggage Nanny” is an on-demand baggage pickup, storage and delivery service that aims to help travelers enjoy every minute of their vacation – even if a traveler lands early or experiences delays. The company essentially babysits your bags so you don’t have to lug them around with you.

“So, if you’re flying into town in the morning and you can’t check into your lodging until later in the day, you can drop your baggage here with us, and we’ll store them and deliver them to you when you’re ready to check in,” explained Crystal Browning, CEO and founder of Baggage Nanny.

Here’s how it works: a traveler makes a reservation via the company’s website or at the Baggage Nanny kiosk at the San Diego International Airport. At the kiosk, they drop off their bags for the company to store safely. Later, a Baggage Nanny employee delivers the bags to the traveler’s destination of choice, at the time specified in the reservation.

“And then you go enjoy your day and our driver comes through and picks up your bags, and we deliver them to you at your pre-arranged time,” Browning explained.

Baggage Nanny can drop off the bags at the traveler’s hotel, rental property, or home. The company charges a fee of $20 per bag, no matter the size. The service can also pick up bags from hotels or homes and store them at the requested terminal for the traveler ahead of their departure from the San Diego International Airport.

Browning said her company labels each piece of luggage with the traveler’s information – just like an airline does – and adds a tamper-proof seal so customers can be assured their belongings will be safe.

Each bag is insured and guaranteed to be delivered on time.

She said that while many hotels will hold a traveler’s bags for them before or after check-in, the customer must go back to pick up those bags themselves before heading to the airport. The delivery part of her business, she hopes, relieves that stress.

Baggage Nanny launched its first kiosk this week in Baggage Claim 1 at Terminal 1 at SAN. By the end of the month, they will open a second kiosk in Baggage Claim 2. Browning said the service is available within 15 miles of the San Diego International Airport, up to Del Mar in North County, La Mesa in East County, and National City in South Bay.

She said she’s had a handful of requests for the service a bit further north, including Escondido and Carlsbad. The company can help in those cases, too, but for an extra service fee, Browning said.

So far, Browning said a big chunk of her customer base has been from travelers coming off cruise ships at the Port of San Diego bright and early. Many of those travelers can’t check into their lodging until the afternoon, and they want to enjoy the city without their baggage.

Browning told NBC 7 she created the startup in March 2018, on a much smaller scale, offering the Baggage Nanny service to customers in conjunction with rental properties she managed around San Diego County.

She wanted to expand her company to operate at the San Diego International Airport, so she asked the airport if that was a possibility.

The airport invited Browning to join its Innovation Lab, a program that offers companies the chance to test their innovative concepts and prototypes in the airport setting. Browning joined the program in August 2018 and graduated from the lab with flying colors.

Baggage Nanny was chosen to enter into contract negotiations with the airport and operate at SAN. It was the first graduate of the Innovation Lab program and the first company to land a contract.

“This wouldn’t be possible without the forward-thinkers of the Innovation Lab at the airport,” Browning said.

Browning has big dreams for Baggage Nanny.

She told NBC 7 she’d like to open kiosks at airports in five more cities across the U.S. within the next few months. She said Portland is next. After that, she hopes to expand to Nashville and Austin, and then either New Orleans or Orlando.

Browning also plans to roll out a mobile app for Baggage Nanny in the coming months to make the process even easier for travelers.

23 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

A San Diego-based startup that serves as a “nanny” for luggage belonging to travelers heading in and out of the San Diego International Airport is now up and running at Terminal 1, with plans to land in other cities, too.

“Baggage Nanny” is an on-demand baggage pickup, storage and delivery service that aims to help travelers enjoy every minute of their vacation – even if a traveler lands early or experiences delays. The company essentially babysits your bags so you don’t have to lug them around with you.

“So, if you’re flying into town in the morning and you can’t check into your lodging until later in the day, you can drop your baggage here with us, and we’ll store them and deliver them to you when you’re ready to check in,” explained Crystal Browning, CEO and founder of Baggage Nanny.

Here’s how it works: a traveler makes a reservation via the company’s website or at the Baggage Nanny kiosk at the San Diego International Airport. At the kiosk, they drop off their bags for the company to store safely. Later, a Baggage Nanny employee delivers the bags to the traveler’s destination of choice, at the time specified in the reservation.

“And then you go enjoy your day and our driver comes through and picks up your bags, and we deliver them to you at your pre-arranged time,” Browning explained.

Baggage Nanny can drop off the bags at the traveler’s hotel, rental property, or home. The company charges a fee of $20 per bag, no matter the size. The service can also pick up bags from hotels or homes and store them at the requested terminal for the traveler ahead of their departure from the San Diego International Airport.

Browning said her company labels each piece of luggage with the traveler’s information – just like an airline does – and adds a tamper-proof seal so customers can be assured their belongings will be safe.

Each bag is insured and guaranteed to be delivered on time.

She said that while many hotels will hold a traveler’s bags for them before or after check-in, the customer must go back to pick up those bags themselves before heading to the airport. The delivery part of her business, she hopes, relieves that stress.

Baggage Nanny launched its first kiosk this week in Baggage Claim 1 at Terminal 1 at SAN. By the end of the month, they will open a second kiosk in Baggage Claim 2. Browning said the service is available within 15 miles of the San Diego International Airport, up to Del Mar in North County, La Mesa in East County, and National City in South Bay.

She said she’s had a handful of requests for the service a bit further north, including Escondido and Carlsbad. The company can help in those cases, too, but for an extra service fee, Browning said.

So far, Browning said a big chunk of her customer base has been from travelers coming off cruise ships at the Port of San Diego bright and early. Many of those travelers can’t check into their lodging until the afternoon, and they want to enjoy the city without their baggage.

Browning told NBC 7 she created the startup in March 2018, on a much smaller scale, offering the Baggage Nanny service to customers in conjunction with rental properties she managed around San Diego County.

She wanted to expand her company to operate at the San Diego International Airport, so she asked the airport if that was a possibility.

The airport invited Browning to join its Innovation Lab, a program that offers companies the chance to test their innovative concepts and prototypes in the airport setting. Browning joined the program in August 2018 and graduated from the lab with flying colors.

Baggage Nanny was chosen to enter into contract negotiations with the airport and operate at SAN. It was the first graduate of the Innovation Lab program and the first company to land a contract.

“This wouldn’t be possible without the forward-thinkers of the Innovation Lab at the airport,” Browning said.

Browning has big dreams for Baggage Nanny.

She told NBC 7 she’d like to open kiosks at airports in five more cities across the U.S. within the next few months. She said Portland is next. After that, she hopes to expand to Nashville and Austin, and then either New Orleans or Orlando.

Browning also plans to roll out a mobile app for Baggage Nanny in the coming months to make the process even easier for travelers.

I would pay for this.