TRAVEL: Points, Miles, Discounts, Tips, Advice & Questions

Spankytoes

I don't travel as much as some of you all but I have played the points game a lot starting last year. Between buying travel for myself and family members and cc spend on all of my Amex cards (fly Delta primarily) I made silver medallion. Just got notice in the mail today. Does that mean I've got status for all of 3 days? 😂

• Like 1

I don't travel as much as some of you all but I have played the points game a lot starting last year. Between buying travel for myself and family members and cc spend on all of my Amex cards (fly Delta primarily) I made silver medallion. Just got notice in the mail today. Does that mean I've got status for all of 3 days?
Delta status runs the calendar year. Once you qualify for a particular tier, you'll have that tier for the following year as well. However, if you don't re-qualify your status you'll lose it at the end of the following year.

If you just earned silver then you'll be silver through Dec 31, 2024. Starting January 1, 2024, you'll start earning for your 2024 status (re-qualifying).
  • Hook 'Em 1

I hit AA Platinum this year and have it until March 2025.  I'm not sure I have enough business travel in the first quarter to hit the next level (Platinum Executive?) but it will be close.  I was upgraded to first on 3 of 4 flights in December which was nice.

Edited by VABuckeye
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

I hit AA Platinum this year and have it until March 2025.  I'm not sure I have enough business travel in the first quarter to hit the next level (Platinum Executive?) but it will be close.  I was upgraded to first on 3 of 4 flights in December which was nice.

One of the best things about reaching Platinum is that if you're flying internationally you get free access to the Admirals Club. Just show your boarding pass. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

IF they qualify on their own.  Zero credit score, zero credit history?  I assume Chase has some kind of kid or teen card but I doubt any of those come with a sign up bonus.  This is why you make your kid an authorized user on one of your accounts at an early age.  I gave my son a free gold card off my platinum when he turn 14 or 15 I think.  I didnt let him carry it until he turned 16 and started driving.  He will turn 18 this summer and should have built up some credit

• Hook 'Em 1

Marriott Bonvoy Ap has a promo of 1000 bonus points and 1 Bonus Elite night credit per night stayed from Feb 13 through April 29.  Could give you a boost to next level for the year.

I only saw it in the Ap, not on my saved link on laptop.

On 12/28/2023 at 6:48 AM, VABuckeye said:

You also have Centurian Club access with the Amex Platinum card.  The AA Executive will add Admirals Club access for you as well.  Looks like you'll have the club access covered.  I haven't benn following the bonus offers for a while so I can't help you there.

The Capital One venture card has a lower annual fee and a better lounge at DFW. Amex has better travel partners for points. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, slorch said:

Marriott Bonvoy Ap has a promo of 1000 bonus points and 1 Bonus Elite night credit per night stayed from Feb 13 through April 29.  Could give you a boost to next level for the year.

I only saw it in the Ap, not on my saved link on laptop.

It showed up in my app, but when I tried to click on the link, it did nothing.  Hopefully just a little glitch for now.  Might have a couple work trips coming up in that period.

ETA:  Just saw it online, so I tried it that way and got this:

A Note About This Promotion

We're sorry, but there was an error in directing you to this promotion.

The reason for this error could be:

• You're trying to access a miles promotion and are a points-earner, or vice versa
  • You are not eligible for this promotion
  • This promotion has expired
Edited by Ag with kids

6 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

It showed up in my app, but when I tried to click on the link, it did nothing.  Hopefully just a little glitch for now.  Might have a couple work trips coming up in that period.

ETA:  Just saw it online, so I tried it that way and got this:

A Note About This Promotion

We're sorry, but there was an error in directing you to this promotion.

The reason for this error could be:

• You're trying to access a miles promotion and are a points-earner, or vice versa
  • You are not eligible for this promotion
  • This promotion has expired

So you ran out of time?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Been seeing the commercials for the new Sapphire lounges.  Is this their answer to the crappy Premier lounge card they've always had?  Are they actually making a run at the better lounges or should I expect more of the same?

I went to the one in the Boston airport and it was super nice.  Was quite spacious and they had plenty of drink and food options. I've done quite a few Priority Pass lounges and the Sapphire lounge felt like a step up from those. They do have a "terrace" at AUS aka an outside lounge. Feels like that would be a miserable experience during the summer.

Edited by deac_tracy

Just now, deac_tracy said:

I went to the one in the Boston airport and it was super nice.  Was quite spacious and they had plenty of drink and food options. They do have a "terrace" at AUS aka an outside lounge. Feels like that would be a miserable experience during the summer.

Haha, that was exactly my thought when I saw the Austin one.  May through October that place will be miserable.

• 3 weeks later...

Need some pro advice.  Looking to maintain my UA gold status.  I am going to LON/AMS in May.  I am booking through Lufthansa so I can earn more PQPs based on distance not just $$.  Based on mileage I should earn the max PQPs of 1500 vs 1100 based on booking through United.  The entire trip will be on UA metal.  My question is this.

Will I still have all the benefits of my status on United?  Will I still get complimentary upgrades?  Will I still get to pick ecoplus seats at the time of booking?

Also as on past long haul trips I monitor the cost of upgrades to prem plus or even polaris.  eg last Sept I was able to purchase a polaris seat to Santiago for $600.  Lie flat for 9 hours for $600 all fucking day.  WIll I still be able to buy an upgrade at a later date if booked through a partner airline.

Edited by midtown

• 3 weeks later...

I'm wondering if anyone might have any ideas for me. I'm trying to plan a relatively inexpensive trip this summer for family of 4 (kids 11 and 14). I have some decent points stored up and still accruing. I would like to hold on to some for a larger Griswold European vacation next summer, but I'm also cash strapped at the moment so looking for something affordable. Anyone have any good advice in terms of resorts, or destinations that give you good return on point transfers and aren't crazy $$? I believe it was spanky who steered me in the right direction last year to transfer Chase points to SW for cheap airfare from the WC to Maui. That worked well. Flew us to PHX on Delta, free place to stay overnight and then PHX to OGG for 35k points/person. Any resorts or destinations in MX, the Caribbean, Central America or other ideas I would be interested in. I would love to just book a VRBO somewhere but I'd basically be paying myself back in points with no favorable exchange. I have about 250k Skymiles, 150k Chase points, 90k Cap One, 90k Citi and 60k Bonvoy. What is my best jumping off point for research?

Last June I booked a trip to Israel for October.  It was obviously cancelled. United issued me a flight credit that has to be used before the end of June.  I have nowhere to go until at least August.  Is there anything at all I can fucking do or do I just lose the $1200?

4 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

Last June I booked a trip to Israel for October.  It was obviously cancelled. United issued me a flight credit that has to be used before the end of June.  I have nowhere to go until at least August.  Is there anything at all I can fucking do or do I just lose the $1200?

You know anyone flying? Book their flight fly them with your credit and have them pay you

• Like 1

Csb/ 30 years ago there was a guy in a shady-looking office on Richmond in Houston who would buy points from business travelers and sell you a flat rate ticket to anywhere you wanted to go domestically for $300. All you had to do was go pick up a paper ticket from the Continental Airlines counter conveniently located at Oshman’s Sporting Goods on Post Oak across from the Galleria. He advertised in the Chronicle’s classifieds.

It worked, and IIRC I was even able to call and change my return flight from Boston at the last minute and without much hassle.

I'd love to know the backstory on that enterprise.

/csb

6 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

I'm wondering if anyone might have any ideas for me. I'm trying to plan a relatively inexpensive trip this summer for family of 4 (kids 11 and 14). I have some decent points stored up and still accruing. I would like to hold on to some for a larger Griswold European vacation next summer, but I'm also cash strapped at the moment so looking for something affordable. Anyone have any good advice in terms of resorts, or destinations that give you good return on point transfers and aren't crazy $$? I believe it was spanky who steered me in the right direction last year to transfer Chase points to SW for cheap airfare from the WC to Maui. That worked well. Flew us to PHX on Delta, free place to stay overnight and then PHX to OGG for 35k points/person. Any resorts or destinations in MX, the Caribbean, Central America or other ideas I would be interested in. I would love to just book a VRBO somewhere but I'd basically be paying myself back in points with no favorable exchange. I have about 250k Skymiles, 150k Chase points, 90k Cap One, 90k Citi and 60k Bonvoy. What is my best jumping off point for research?

Chase transfers to Hyatt, and their points can often go pretty far. I don't have a specific resort rec for a big family vacation, but I'd say look into Hyatt's resort portfolio (they have been recently acquired several additional resort brands). You can probably find an all inclusive that gets you a pretty good return on points. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PilotsError said:

Plenty of rounds trip flights to Europe

• Like 1

On 3/15/2024 at 3:02 PM, PilotsError said:

Dude

You need to talk to United. That is a refundable trip if ever there was one. Tell them you will file a DOT complaint if they don’t refund. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Anyone have a travel agent they can recommend? Trying to book 4 flights from DFW to Sicily around Memorial Day and not finding anything worth a shit. Crazy connections and luggage fees on top of that. Figure it can’t hurt to have a travel agent take a look. 

7 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Anyone have a travel agent they can recommend? Trying to book 4 flights from DFW to Sicily around Memorial Day and not finding anything worth a shit. Crazy connections and luggage fees on top of that. Figure it can’t hurt to have a travel agent take a look. 

Travel agents still exist?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Have you looked at Google Flights? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Does anyone know the latest on airline points not being accrued if booked through your work's T&E system? E.g. I won't get my AA miles if I book a flight through Concur.

Or is this just a rumor? Big bummer, if so.

Does anyone know the latest on airline points not being accrued if booked through your work's T&E system? E.g. I won't get my AA miles if I book a flight through Concur.
Yes, Amercian is going to come out with their list of approved vendors in April per their website. I have to use concur to book for work as well. So we'll wait or book directly with AA, which often times is cheaper than concur. However, Concur in and of itself is not a travel agency. So should be interesting.

https://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2024/Booking-directly-with-American-Airlines-and-its-airline-partners-makes-travel-even-better-for-AAdvantage-members-AADV-02/

Book through preferred travel agencies. American will share a list of eligible preferred agencies on aa.com in late April.

2 hours ago, BeardIP said:

My company uses Amtrav and our agents already said they are on approved list. 

I can’t see any possibility that Concur doesn’t make the list. They are probably largest agency (for business travel) around. 

Edited by Shaddie
  • Hook 'Em 1

Think about how many super frequent business travelers have to go through concur or similar. I can’t see them getting cut off like that. Granted, there would be a mass exodus of peeps from the top tiers, and maybe free it up for people paying with the own funds.

Either way, a big pushback and loss of business probably makes the changed moot eventually. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mother mopar said:

Yes, Amercian is going to come out with their list of approved vendors in April per their website. I have to use concur to book for work as well. So we'll wait or book directly with AA, which often times is cheaper than concur. However, Concur in and of itself is not a travel agency. So should be interesting.

https://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2024/Booking-directly-with-American-Airlines-and-its-airline-partners-makes-travel-even-better-for-AAdvantage-members-AADV-02/

Book through preferred travel agencies. American will share a list of eligible preferred agencies on aa.com in late April.

1 hour ago, Shaddie said:

My company uses Amtrav and our agents already said they are on approved list. 

I can’t see any possibility that Concur doesn’t make the list. They are probably largest agency (for business travel) around. 

10 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Think about how many super frequent business travelers have to go through concur or similar. I can’t see them getting cut off like that. Granted, there would be a mass exodus of peeps from the top tiers, and maybe free it up for people paying with the own funds.

Either way, a big pushback and loss of business probably makes the changed moot eventually. 

Yeah this won't be aimed at business travelers using corporate platforms. It's aimed at individual consumers using third party sites, and at the Chase and Amex travels of the world offering big incentives to book through their portals. I know Expedia handles those on the back end so it will be interesting to see if they qualify.

So places like expedia, priceline, kayak, bookin.com, even google flights. 

That makes more sense to me than business portals. 

Hotels do that already quite a bit. Of course usually their on-site rates are as good pr better than third-party sites anyway.

Not that it really bother me either way. I’m already in the habit of booking direct. 

Yeah this won't be aimed at business travelers using corporate platforms. It's aimed at individual consumers using third party sites, and at the Chase and Amex travels of the world offering big incentives to book through their portals. I know Expedia handles those on the back end so it will be interesting to see if they qualify.
I agree, but concur is such a shit show. I will not be upset at all, if it's not allowed.

9 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

So places like expedia, priceline, kayak, bookin.com, even google flights. 

That makes more sense to me than business portals. 

Hotels do that already quite a bit. Of course usually their on-site rates are as good pr better than third-party sites anyway.

Not that it really bother me either way. I’m already in the habit of booking direct. 

Can't actually book through Google Flights, it just shows pricing across all the different platforms.

Concur is just a platform for travel agencies, right? I use it but for last-minute changes, I have to call an AMEX agent.
Sap Concur is just an expense system that tracks end to end spending, billing, invoicing, etc. It's not an actual travel agency.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Can't actually book through Google Flights, it just shows pricing across all the different platforms.

I know that but it’s a one stop place for flight pricing and tracking pricing. 

My employer uses Concur to book my business travel. Personally if I fly I book directly through the airline site.