Game 9: Texas vs. Purdue, 5 PM, ESPN2

Machinator

As an outside observer, there's a pretty stark contrast between the two teams on the floor. I'm no expert, but Purdue seems like they're constantly moving and passing while Texas just seems to have 4 people standing around most of the time while they take turns playing hero ball and jacking up 3 pointers. It's frustrating to watch even as a non fan.

The problem is that kids don't get really polished until their junior year, and we can't keep them long enough to get there. So offensively we look half assed. It's not going to change unless one of two things happens. 10 We get uber players like Duke has that are miles above the other high school kids. KD and LA were like that. Or get kids who aren't NBA kids who will stay for 4 years.

Also, i'm just now catching up, and Sims was *terrible* to open the game. It's an absolute joke that he starts. In a span of 20 seconds he left his man on defense leading to a wide open Purdue dunk, and then on the other end the guy had himself positioned totally out of bounds, resulting in a turnover when he received the pass. The guy is not good enough to get five minutes on a real team and we start him. Ridiculous. 

Edited by Goo Punch

on the one hand i enjoy how well we've played the last several possessions, and on the other hand I want to slam my head through the drywall knowing that Shaka refuses to start these guys, despite how *clearly* superior they are to Febres, Sims, and DO.

Edited by Goo Punch

10 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

What a wonderfully cringey post. 

Apologies, just invested in Cowboys and Horns now. There's only 1 Duke and Kentucky and North Carolina and Kansas, but the constant is having  a coach. Having a coach who can evaluate talent to fill needs.Having a coach who understands a teams strengths and weaknesses. 

Agree or disagree, it's the problem we

2 minutes ago, Nolacycling said:

Apologies, just invested in Cowboys and Horns now. There's only 1 Duke and Kentucky and North Carolina and Kansas, but the constant is having  a coach. Having a coach who can evaluate talent to fill needs.Having a coach who understands a teams strengths and weaknesses. 

The kid that is lighting us up is a kid that nobody wanted. Now that he is a polished upperclassman you are seeing the difference. Meanwhile, our guys are bolting for the league.

The bottom line of this game is that when we shoot 44% from deep we can compete with a team of Purdue's ilk. Barring a starting lineup overhaul which results in uplifting the games of both our players and team, this does not bode well going into league play. Happy with the way we've played since I've been watching, but we cannot count in this shooting every night.