An illustrated history of college football - over 500 photographs

satyanash

Saw it on RedditCFB, originally from an Imgur album. Some great old photos of CFB in general and Texas in particular.

1941, Texas vs. Texas A&M - Texas end Wally Scott blocks the punt of A&M's Derace Moser during third-quarter action at Kyle Field. The Longhorns would go on to upset the second-ranked Aggies 23-0.

1948 Sugar Bowl - Texas' Bobby Layne (22) shakes hands with Alabama's Harry Gilmer (52) before kickoff in Tulane Stadium. Layne would receive the Sugar Bowl's very first MVP award after the Longhorns' 27-7 victory, and was reportedly seen drinking hurricanes out of the trophy in the French Quarter that night.

1960 Cotton Bowl - Syracuse's swarming defense limited Bobby Lackey and the Longhorns all afternoon in Dallas, as the Orangemen left the Cotton Bowl with a 23-14 victory and the national championship.

1964 Cotton Bowl - Navy's Heisman-winning QB Roger Staubach struggles to escape a withering pass rush from the #1 Texas Longhorns during a 28-6 loss in Dallas.

1965 Orange Bowl - Texas tailback Ernie Koy races for a 79-yard TD run against Alabama in the first quarter of the Orange Bowl. The Longhorns would upset the #1 Crimson Tide 21-17.

1968, Texas vs. Texas A&M - Texas fullback Steve Worster takes a handoff during the annual rivalry game against Texas A&M. The Longhorns would roll to a 35-14 victory.

1969, Texas vs. Arkansas - Following #1 Texas' thrilling 15-14 victory over #2 Arkansas, President Richard Nixon declares the Longhorns National Champions and hands HC Darrell Royal a commemorative plaque as Texas QB James Street looks on.

1970, Texas vs. Arkansas - Texas fullback Jim Bertelsen breaks for daylight in Austin, as the top-ranked Longhorns rolled over #4 Arkansas in a 42-17 victory.

1971 Cotton Bowl - Notre Dame's Joe Theismann (7) makes a handoff against Stan Mauldin (85) and the top-ranked Texas Longhorns in Dallas. The Fighting Irish forced five Longhorns turnovers to win, 24-11.

1976, Texas vs. Oklahoma - The original Spygate game in 1976. Held after Texas HC Darrell K. Royal caught Oklahoma HC Barry Switzer attempting to spy on his closed practices, this hard-fought battle ended in a 6-6 tie with both teams left bitter and unsatisfied.

1977, Earl Campbell - Texas tailback Earl Campbell made a habit of crashing through defenses during the 1977 season. The "Tyler Rose" led an unheralded Texas team to an unbeaten regular-season record, and won the Heisman trophy in the process.

1982 Cotton Bowl - Texas QB Robert Brewer celebrates after scoring on a 30-yard touchdown run against #3 Alabama. The run would kickstart a 4th-quarter comeback as the Longhorns upset the Crimson Tide 14-12.

1984 Cotton Bowl - Georgia's Gary Moss celebrates after recovering a muffed punt by Texas' Craig Curry deep in enemy territory. Georgia would score on the ensuing possession to upset #2 Texas 10-9.

1984, Jerry Gray - Gray was a two-time consensus All-American and finished his Texas career with 16 interceptions. He was a two-time Southwest Conference Defensive Player of the Year and is a member of the Texas All-Time Team and All-Decade Team for the 1980s.

and so on, and so forth. Includes the Cotton Bowl beatdown against Miami in 1990, Ricky Williams, Chris Simms, Vince Young, Colt McCoy, etc. etc.

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

One photo they didn't have is Cotton Speyrer's touchdown against UCLA in 1970 (I think #88 is Speyrer)

05_speyer_cotton_001.jpg

#88 is indeed Speyrer.  This play is at 2:26 of the video, the most important play of 1970.  3rd and 19 with 19 seconds left in the game:  86 pass, Ted crossing, Sam post.  The game was not televised but I remember listening to the radio, the announcers got quite excited.

We kept the streak going.

Edited by Bertelsen's 70 yard TD
It was on radio only
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Bertelsen's 70 yard TD said:

He was a Wishbone halfback out of Hudson, Wisconsin.  If I remember correctly, he wasn't heavily recruited out of high school but had an aunt who worked at UT who gave a highlight film to Coach Royal - who DID recruit him.

Also, I'm told he didn't know how to block when he first got to UT.  Royal said, that's OK, we'll teach him.  He threw a key block that helped Ted Koy on a 10 yard run on the play after the Street-Peschel bomb in the Texas-Arkansas game.  He scored the tying touchdown himself on the next play.

The photo above is a run in the 1970 Arkansas game.  We were leading, 14-7 and had just stopped them on a goal line stand after a first down on our 3 yard line.  Bill Montgomery got inside the one on 4th down but no more.  We then proceeded on a 99 yard TD drive that broke their back.  We won, 42-7, the caption is incorrect.

User name checks out

2 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

See fellows, that right there is the color “burnt orange”.

Yeppir.

1956TennesseeVolunteers_display_image.jp

This photo is from the fifties, before they started wearing burnt orange. The burnt orange was a DKR thing, and just happened to be the same color as the football, which made it more difficult for other teams to find the football when the Horns were running the wishbone. 

There have been a lot of color tricks in football, and not just by Texas. O linemen used to wear long sleeve undershirts the same color as the other team's jerseys until that was outlawed. I think some of them still wear white ones for home games. Boise State wears all blue on the smurf turf to make it more difficult for QBs to spot D backs, etc. 

2 hours ago, Richard Kimball said:

Yeppir.

1956TennesseeVolunteers_display_image.jp

This photo is from the fifties, before they started wearing burnt orange. The burnt orange was a DKR thing, and just happened to be the same color as the football, which made it more difficult for other teams to find the football when the Horns were running the wishbone. 

There have been a lot of color tricks in football, and not just by Texas. O linemen used to wear long sleeve undershirts the same color as the other team's jerseys until that was outlawed. I think some of them still wear white ones for home games. Boise State wears all blue on the smurf turf to make it more difficult for QBs to spot D backs, etc. 

That picture is of Tennessee, I think. Not Texas. The caption reads 'From left to right, Johnny Majors, Buddy Cruze, and John Gordy before the start of the 1956 season for Tennessee. (Photo: Special to the News Sentinel)'

• Like 1

4 hours ago, satyanash said:

That picture is of Tennessee, I think. Not Texas. The caption reads 'From left to right, Johnny Majors, Buddy Cruze, and John Gordy before the start of the 1956 season for Tennessee. (Photo: Special to the News Sentinel)'

You're probably right. Hard to find color photos from the 50s. Here's the inaugural Dave Campbell's Texas Football magazine cover with a Longhorn on the front. 1960. 

2745.jpg

The orange is still pretty bright. 

• Like 1

I was a youngster listening to that 1970 UT-UCLA game on the radio in Dallas.  Couldn't believe we were about to lose to UCLA and our unbeaten streak/National Championship hopes would be destroyed.  Complete jubilation is an understatement.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Richard Kimball said:

You're probably right. Hard to find color photos from the 50s. Here's the inaugural Dave Campbell's Texas Football magazine cover with a Longhorn on the front. 1960. 

2745.jpg

The orange is still pretty bright. 

Yikes. That's a carbon copy of Tennessee's uniforms, although I guess our pants would also have been coloured. Glad we changed.

14 hours ago, BluTechsan said:

Pics are awesome but I can't ever get through the whole set without the page reloading and having to start all over at pic 1.

Is there a way to view them without having to constantly hit the "10 more" button?

Are you on mobile? Try using the grid view: https://imgur.com/a/Jq7c3?grid

8 hours ago, satyanash said:

Are you on mobile? Try using the grid view: https://imgur.com/a/Jq7c3?grid

That's the page I've been viewing. And when I get to the pic of the 4 Horsemen, there's a blue "button" that says "10 more".

If I keep scrolling without clicking on that button I see pics from non related galleries but if I click - it loads 10 more football pics and so on and so on. So to view 500 pics I have to load 50 pages - and at some point it crashes and I have to start back at the beginning.

21 hours ago, BluTechsan said:

That's the page I've been viewing. And when I get to the pic of the 4 Horsemen, there's a blue "button" that says "10 more".

If I keep scrolling without clicking on that button I see pics from non related galleries but if I click - it loads 10 more football pics and so on and so on. So to view 500 pics I have to load 50 pages - and at some point it crashes and I have to start back at the beginning.

That's weird. IDK, I may be Indian but I'm no good w/ tech support.

1933, Michigan vs. Ohio State A packed house at the Big House - so packed that two spectators were killed - was on hand to witness a 13-0 victory for the Wolverines.

imgur

I never realized that Michigan and Ohio State used to play in Oakland.

1941, Baylor vs. Hardin-Simmons

imgur

Nice to know Baylor has never strayed from their non-conference scheduling.

On 12/15/2018 at 5:07 PM, satyanash said:

One photo they didn't have is Cotton Speyrer's touchdown against UCLA in 1970 (I think #88 is Speyrer)

05_speyer_cotton_001.jpg

I was driving on Padre Island listening to this game in a terrible mood because the win streak was about to end.  The party that ensued after this catch is still one of my fondest memories and this catch one of the top five in all UT football history imho.

11 hours ago, pch said:

I was driving on Padre Island listening to this game in a terrible mood because the win streak was about to end.  The party that ensued after this catch is still one of my fondest memories and this catch one of the top five in all UT football history imho.

Man I will never forget this game....

I was sitting in the old green wooden bleachers that were brought over from Gregory Gym and set up in the south end zone.

What a day.